[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Thank you, but could you list the steps? Do I get the graphics drivers from the stock 10.5.3 update or the sonotone post installer? Also, does this work with 10.5.2 or 10.5.4 also?

I only got this after upgrade to 10.5.3 with stock drivers. if you use the old intelintegratedframebuffer you get a clean boot but also artifacts. with stock drivers you get a black screen and have to apply a script or use the wake from sleep trick (set active corner in expose/spaces to wake from sleep via mouse). It may take a while before the mouse wakes the screen. you need to try a couple times. you also need to do this before the upgrade or you can attach an external monitor and fix afterwards.

sonotone uses the same driver from 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 and it may not work 100% with previous versions.

good luck

I got iATKOS working on my Dell 1520, however, the internet kicks cuts off after about 10 minutes of use. I really can't keep restarting this thing after 10 minutes, only to do it yet again, so what is going on here. I read in the guide:

During normal Internet browsing and LAN operations via Ethernet, if you find that your network connection seems to be randomly cutting out, this is because of an incompatibility between the old AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext and the new IONetworkingFamily.kext

If that's the problem, what am I supposed to do to fix it? Should I delete the old one? Thanks!

Hi Guys, i'm having an inspiron 6400 with intel GMA 950.

I'm using Leopoard since the first version and tried a lot of distribution / kexts but were never able able to wake up correctly from sleep : the power led become fixed and bluetooth led stayed off with everything frozen and black screen.

Did you managed to get 6400 with GMA 950 working correctly with sleep ? if yes do you have any lead / clue / help for me ?

Thanks a lot

Hi Guys, i'm having an inspiron 6400 with intel GMA 950.

I'm using Leopoard since the first version and tried a lot of distribution / kexts but were never able able to wake up correctly from sleep : the power led become fixed and bluetooth led stayed off with everything frozen and black screen.

Did you managed to get 6400 with GMA 950 working correctly with sleep ? if yes do you have any lead / clue / help for me ?

Thanks a lot

as far as I know sleep does not work with gma950 on a Dell notebook. The only thing you can get to work is display sleep which brings just the display to sleep on lid close (there is some script somwhere here that accomplishes that). But "real" sleep does not work. The notebook never wakes up from that (you can tell you have real sleep when the power light is slowly blinking, it stays always on on display sleep).

but that doesn't mean there may be a fix in the future. I already gave up on both cores with my c2d and now we got a fix for it. cross my fingers....

Heya guys.

I've got a March 2006 model Inspiron 6400 with GMA950 graphics and a T2400 Core Duo CPU. I'm attempting to install JaS 10.5.4, however when it gets to the GUI stage of setup, the screen goes blank and I'm unable to get an image.

Any help please?

I have an E1505 in which I upgraded the graphics to an ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 128MB. Does anyone know how functional the graphics update would be in this circumstance or if I need to just follow the original instructions. Should also mention this will be installed on an extra modular hard drive I have on my Dell, until I can get a MacBook Pro(I am in a creative line of work but time is of the essence). Please advise.

Brad

Heya guys.

I've got a March 2006 model Inspiron 6400 with GMA950 graphics and a T2400 Core Duo CPU. I'm attempting to install JaS 10.5.4, however when it gets to the GUI stage of setup, the screen goes blank and I'm unable to get an image.

Any help please?

the answer is right here above your post. here is what you can do after you installed it. attach an external monitor and you should get a desktop. then set active corner in expose/spaces to wake from sleep via mouse. this is a known problem with newest gma950 drivers. the system boots with the display asleep (black screen). there is a script mentioned above also you can use. Best is to use sonotone's dell postinstall patcher wonder, which you can find here

I have an E1505 in which I upgraded the graphics to an ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 128MB. Does anyone know how functional the graphics update would be in this circumstance or if I need to just follow the original instructions. Should also mention this will be installed on an extra modular hard drive I have on my Dell, until I can get a MacBook Pro(I am in a creative line of work but time is of the essence). Please advise.

Brad

I used to have ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 128MB on my e1505, and had a lot of problems, you can enable QE, but you get graphic shattering, and artifacts, I could hide them a bit, but still they were noticeable and annoying. So I just bought nVidia Go card for my laptop on eBay, replaced the card, and it works perfectly. Maybe there is a so called solution for X1300, but I doubt it. )))

I used to have ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 128MB on my e1505, and had a lot of problems, you can enable QE, but you get graphic shattering, and artifacts, I could hide them a bit, but still they were noticeable and annoying. So I just bought nVidia Go card for my laptop on eBay, replaced the card, and it works perfectly. Maybe there is a so called solution for X1300, but I doubt it. )))

Seems odd since the original MacBook Pro systems used the exact same graphics. I guess I will have to experiment.

Seems odd since the original MacBook Pro systems used the exact same graphics. I guess I will have to experiment.

Not true, that was X1600 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro, look in specifications table), the only place X1300 was used is on Mac server and that's where the problems kick in. Since it was not intended for laptop users, original mac drivers do not have internal display support. So when you would initialize your card as X1300, you will get black screen. (You still would be able to work on external display, with good graphics by the way) Many people tried to find a way around, but I don't think there is one except of writing whole new set of drivers. And who would do that? So after a month trying diffferent things I just bought nVidia card and didn't have any more problems.

Not true, that was X1600 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro, look in specifications table), the only place X1300 was used is on Mac server and that's where the problems kick in. Since it was not intended for laptop users, original mac drivers do not have internal display support. So when you would initialize your card as X1300, you will get black screen. (You still would be able to work on external display, with good graphics by the way) Many people tried to find a way around, but I don't think there is one except of writing whole new set of drivers. And who would do that? So after a month trying diffferent things I just bought nVidia card and didn't have any more problems.

Ok. I just didn't remember it correctly. I guess I will have to take the money to buy an appropriate card, if one is available to fit my system.

By the way, does anybody know why when I use Gotoh's NVinjectGo, I don't get q/e, but when I use Natit, I get q/e, but it shows only 128M of memory? (and doesn't really want to sleep properly)

By the way, does anybody know why when I use Gotoh's NVinjectGo, I don't get q/e, but when I use Natit, I get q/e, but it shows only 128M of memory? (and doesn't really want to sleep properly)

Well the 7300 go only has 128mb onboard and another 128 as turbocache. It's the same story with the x1400.

Also, for NVinject, check your info.plist file and make sure that your IOProbeScore is 0.

I keep getting this while trying to boot the installer.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

I have tried a bunch of commands in the command prompt before booting.

But came seem to get it to stop freezing the loading.

Any ideas?

System Specs:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Service Pack 2

Dell Inspiron 1520

Intel Pentium Dual CPU

T2310 @ 1.46 GHz

2.00 GB RAM

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Sound: SigmaTel High Def. Audio Codec

Internet: 1394 Net Adapter, Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller, Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Thanks to the guy who PM'd me a link to some 7300GS on eBay.

Does anyone know if the Dell Vostro 1500 wireless card is compatible with my 9400? I hope it is as I just bought one off eBay :D

Almost all express internal wireless cards by dell use the same architecture. So there should be no problems.

Thanks to the guy who PM'd me a link to some 7300GS on eBay.

Does anyone know if the Dell Vostro 1500 wireless card is compatible with my 9400? I hope it is as I just bought one off eBay :D

As long as it's a Dell branded card with a broadcom chipset such as the 1390/1490/1395 or 1505, you should be fine. If it's intel, it won't work nearly as well as one of those.

Hi!

Thank you so much for this guide! Made my Dell 6400 work great with Kalyway 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 update + 10.5.4 system update!

But I tried the new JaS 10.5.4 installer, because I messed up a little with my kexts and I wanted to do a clean install. Installed rightly, but after install my keyboard isn't working no more... I searched for a solution throught the forums and I couldn't find any.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Hi!

Thank you so much for this guide! Made my Dell 6400 work great with Kalyway 10.5.2 + 10.5.3 update + 10.5.4 system update!

But I tried the new JaS 10.5.4 installer, because I messed up a little with my kexts and I wanted to do a clean install. Installed rightly, but after install my keyboard isn't working no more... I searched for a solution throught the forums and I couldn't find any.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

I've posted this a while back:

"sounds like the wrong combination of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and kernel. if you use the vanilla kext on non vanilla kernel or sth similar you get no ps2 devices, which includes your notebooks keyboard. somebody posted a fix for that for which you inject a file into the above kext (search for ACPIPS2Nub.kext). but it's just easier to use an older kext instead."

see here for more information on that

but there may be an easy solution for you. not sure if this is sth that sonotone has in his package already. some say this should work for any notebook. haven't tried myself: look here