[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

Some news about Dual Core. One week ago, i was making some tests, and i've installed a fresh kalyway 10.5.2 (no patches selected, just vaniila kernel) on my external drive.

When i booted from this drive, i've noticed that it boot with booth cores whitout problems; just graphics shuttering as usual, but fixed after sleep.

So, what i did:

- make a time machine backup of my internal system;

- Make a clone of external HD installation on my internal HD with carbon copy cloner;

- reinstall Efi bootloader.

At this point, OSX boot with both cores and works well after sleep trick.

After, I've just imported, through assistant migration (very efficient!), my time machine backup, updated in 10.5.3 with netkas method and use my package to get some things working.

Computer is still able to boot with both cores (and usable after sleep).

Stability is Ok (after on week of use), all applications and preferences was correctly imported.

I don't know but, reproduce all of these steps appears not necessary; maybe a fresh installation of Kalyway 10.5.2 (with vanilla kernel) is enought.

bothcoresvy6.th.png

Sono - can I get more detail. I've been trying to reproduce this with limited results. I haven't been able to do an install to an external drive as no matter what drive I use.. it fails the install. But I did clean install of kalyway 10.5.2 with only vanilla kernel selected and was able to boot up with both cores, but no sleep.. leaving me stuttering...

however when i installed your package for what I needed I ended up back with the same problems as before being unable to boot up with the second core.

Which packages did you install from your installer?

Sono - can I get more detail. I've been trying to reproduce this with limited results. I haven't been able to do an install to an external drive as no matter what drive I use.. it fails the install. But I did clean install of kalyway 10.5.2 with only vanilla kernel selected and was able to boot up with both cores, but no sleep.. leaving me stuttering...

however when i installed your package for what I needed I ended up back with the same problems as before being unable to boot up with the second core.

Which packages did you install from your installer?

You need video injector to get sleep working, it should work cause we have very closed hardware 'i also have an 7900GS)

From the package i've installed video, sound, battery meter, lidsleep, ethernet driver, 2 fingers and media keys.

Try to install kexts one by one and see what's up next reboot.

Hi,

I have a Inspiron 6400 and I have problems with my video ( Intel 945 ) Everything works perfect, but in 'About my Mac' he said that I have 64 MB of video. But it should be 128 mb. Now I would like to install Apple Logic Studio. In the instalation I get a error because I have 0 MB video and 64 mb is recommend. This is very strange because I did have 64 mb of video Strange enough that had to be 128 MB. Now I can not skip that step and the program quit the installation because I have not enough video ram. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you! :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have a Inspiron 6400 and I have problems with my video ( Intel 945 ) Everything works perfect, but in 'About my Mac' he said that I have 64 MB of video. But it should be 128 mb. Now I would like to install Apple Logic Studio. In the instalation I get a error because I have 0 MB video and 64 mb is recommend. This is very strange because I did have 64 mb of video Strange enough that had to be 128 MB. Now I can not skip that step and the program quit the installation because I have not enough video ram. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you! :D

64mb is all that you will see in OSX, has been reported in other posts as well. Not sure about your Logic Studio problem. Apparently Logic Studio does a hardware check and has no clue about the hackintosh video hardware and reports 0. Hope somebody can help you.

good luck

@devilhood why arent u answering the pm's is send you?

sorry for being a pita, but it is better to ask with a post first whether it's ok to contact somebody via pm. If I got a pm from somebody out of the blue, I'd be hesitant to answer. I don't see from your post history that you did ask. Also, there is likely a reason he is not answering. Bringing it out to the thread won't help much. If you do think it's important to carry it out to the thread, then why not post your message here so everybody can help?

Reason for the silence is because I'm in Sweden at the moment on holiday, also my inbox keeps filling up.

Here's what I have been PM'ing:

Overheating played a part, but that was mostly due to the 7800 Go; they ended up giving me a free 7900 GS in the end, but then there was the problem with my FireWire port dying over and over again.

The port itself has no outer-protection, so after a few weeks of constant usage, the metal slot starts to expand, making the connection looser.

Also, the lack of protection means that any kind of cable movement can easily damage the pins which in-turn causes an intermittent connection.

I did have screen quality issues too, as you may remember, I had it replaced with an LG panel, then my memory went bonkers and they had to replace that too. Actually, the NMI Parity memory issue was frustrating because the tech guys would not believe me when I said that it was memory related, so they botched the first few replacements and sent me incorrect spec RAM and other rediculous things like... sending me only one stick when I needed to replace both.

The extensive service history is what probably led to the offer of a refund, though the FireWire issue is very serious, because it means that any kind of long-term usage is out of the question.

When I was on the phone to Dell, I avoided words like 'damaged', 'accidental', 'forced', 'broken' etc as they will send the tech guys all the wrong signals, you need to be quite heavy handed and just quote that the laptop you paid for does not perform to advertised specifications. Also, I made a fuss about how the issues with Dell Truemobile Wireless created audio popping/clicking during playback/recording with my M-Audio FireWire 410 unit, and that due to the E1705 being an EOL product, I can not expect these problems to be resolved.

They asked all the usual questions like "Did you try the external audio device on a different machine? did you experience the same problems?", very boring, but you have to be patient with them and let them know that you have only experienced these problems with the laptop and nothing else.

Simply replacing a 'motherboard' is not a permanent solution for the FireWire port dying after a short while and will end up costing them more in the long-run to keep having it done/sending engineers out etc etc, so I cornered them with that statement and eventually he gave-in and said "Ok, for us to provide an acceptable service, we would need to actually fix this problem. We cannot unfortunately upgrade your laptop to a more recent model, however, we are able to offer you a full refund. The refund would be the amount that the reseller paid inclusive of postage, in this case, xxxxxxxx had paid £821".

Bingo! I got the customer satisfaction that I finally deserved after fishing out over £1000+ for this laptop god knows how many years ago now.

Be warned though, he did not just flat-out agree to a refund after a minute or so of describing what my problem was, it was only after a few phone calls with him that he eventually offered this, and in-between the calls he was discussing with his supervisor what the best solution would be.

So, for anyone wanting a refund, please make sure that your problem is indeed a persistent problem, otherwise they are unlikely to offer anything other than a replacement component/part.

One other thing, they do not offer laptop model upgrades.

Good luck,

P.

Reason for the silence is because I'm in Sweden at the moment on holiday, also my inbox keeps filling up.

Here's what I have been PM'ing:

So, for anyone wanting a refund, please make sure that your problem is indeed a persistent problem, otherwise they are unlikely to offer anything other than a replacement component/part.

One other thing, they do not offer laptop model upgrades.

Good luck,

P.

not sure if you have posted this before. did you have an extended warranty? I assume they wouldn't even listen to somebody with a standard 1yr warranty.

not sure if you have posted this before. did you have an extended warranty? I assume they wouldn't even listen to somebody with a standard 1yr warranty.

Yup, that was the first thing I sorted out. Better to be safe :)

Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to announce that headphone detection and speaker muting is now working! 

I am going to add subwoofer support back in and hope for the best, but a release will be coming shortly.  :wacko:

-T.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to announce that headphone detection and speaker muting is now working! 

I am going to add subwoofer support back in and hope for the best, but a release will be coming shortly.  :D

-T.

You're a star :wacko:

Independent subwoofer volume control is proving to be quite tricky - the HAL recognises the subwoofer and front speakers as unique devices, but does not want to allow them to operate simultaneously. I'll work on a solution at some point in the near future.

It's late and I'm a bit too tired to explain all the changes in this version, but it's essentially complete apart from the subwoofer functionality, which is why I'm releasing it for Inspiron 6400 owners. Headphone detection and speaker muting both work, DSP functionality is included, microphone works (and outputs to speakers/headphones with the PlayThru tool I put together for the last release), and all that good stuff. 

Quick notes:

1. This is based on the AppleHDA that is included with 10.5.3, so it probably won't work with earlier releases. You can try it and let me know, but chances are you'll have to update to 10.5.3 if you want it to work correctly.

2. Remove ALCinject.kext and replace it with the included HDAEnabler.kext. I made a few very simple changes to HDAEnabler.kext, so please use my version instead of the default one. I haven't tested it with the default version or ALCinject.kext, so there's a good chance it won't work with either.

3. I've only tested this with the correct audio settings for STAC9200, so you should probably make certain your audio is configured properly. Go into Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup and make certain your audio input and output are both set to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit. 

Enjoy full-fledged SigmaTel 9200 functionality (at least on an Inspiron 6400!)

Subwoofer to follow for 9400 users when I get more time and patience...  :P

You're a star :D

Thanks! Hope sound is working well for you on the new kit...  :D

AppleHDA_10.5.3_for_Dell_Inspiron_6400.dmg.zip

Independent subwoofer volume control is proving to be quite tricky - the HAL recognises the subwoofer and front speakers as unique devices, but does not want to allow them to operate simultaneously. I'll work on a solution at some point in the near future.

It's late and I'm a bit too tired to explain all the changes in this version, but it's essentially complete apart from the subwoofer functionality, which is why I'm releasing it for Inspiron 6400 owners. Headphone detection and speaker muting both work, DSP functionality is included, microphone works (and outputs to speakers/headphones with the PlayThru tool I put together for the last release), and all that good stuff.

Quick notes:

1. This is based on the AppleHDA that is included with 10.5.3, so it probably won't work with earlier releases. You can try it and let me know, but chances are you'll have to update to 10.5.3 if you want it to work correctly.

2. Remove ALCinject.kext and replace it with the included HDAEnabler.kext. I made a few very simple changes to HDAEnabler.kext, so please use my version instead of the default one. I haven't tested it with the default version or ALCinject.kext, so there's a good chance it won't work with either.

3. I've only tested this with the correct audio settings for STAC9200, so you should probably make certain your audio is configured properly. Go into Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup and make certain your audio input and output are both set to 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-16bit.

Subwoofer to follow for 9400 users when I get more time and patience... :P

Thanks! Hope sound is working well for you on the new kit... :D

Thanks!

I'm going to try it tonight :D

Does installing Mac OS X on a Dell void the warranty, or is it ok to send in my laptop for a warranty repair with Leopard installed?

I think that is an invitation for them just to do that. They will tell you that your Dell was not designed to run OSX which makes calls to the Dell hardware and may damage it. I would not send in my laptop or PC to dell for repair with OSX installed. Make an image of the hd, wipe it or install your Dell image before you send it back. Maybe they don't care, but again, if they can void a warranty this would be a good reason.

good luck

Quick notes:

snip snip

wow, great news. I followed your instructions. I was not sure about AppleHDA.kext that you included in the package. I installed it next to the HDAEnabler.kext with kexthelper. I deleted the ALCinject.kext, fixed permissions. After reboot, I got no speakers, just like sonotone. Maybe I am not sure how to use the PlayThru app. When I run that I get nothing to pick from in the audio Input (built-in microphone is set to default an grayed out) and built-in speaker in audio output. Nothing changes when I press play thru button.

well, apparently I am missing something, maybe misinterpreting one of you points?

for now I got sound back by running AppleHDAPatcher1.20, however with no speaker muting. After this I tried to follow your steps one more time. I get sound now but with no speaker muting. The ALCinject is gone from Extensions. PlayThru still shows the same things as above.

Should I not have overwritten my stock AppleHDA.kext?

thank you

Same result here. Installed both kexts to extensions folder, repaired permissions, deleted extensions.mkext and rebooted. Sound works through headphones only, no speakers. Checked midi settings, no effect.

Fresh kalyway 10.5.2 install with no audio patches followed by kalyway 10.5.3 updater with vanilla kernel and efi. Same result. I can send you my codec dumps from ubuntu if you want.

Inspiron 6400 C2D.

Same result here. Installed both kexts to extensions folder, repaired permissions, deleted extensions.mkext and rebooted. Sound works through headphones only, no speakers. Checked midi settings, no effect.

Fresh kalyway 10.5.2 install with no audio patches followed by kalyway 10.5.3 updater with vanilla kernel and efi. Same result. I can send you my codec dumps from ubuntu if you want.

Inspiron 6400 C2D.

thanks for posting your results cancerman. keeping my sanity here - thought it's my system or my ignorance that's preventing me from getting good results. Hope it's simple to fix.

thanks

That's very strange, as it works perfectly for me. The only thing I can think of that I have changed besides AppleHDA was the ACPI kext, so I'll play around with that (substituting the old version) and see if that's made a difference. Would you mind telling me what System Profiler says about your audio devices, which version of the ACPI kext you're using, and so on? That would be a big help in isolating the problem.

Also, you'll want to make certain you delete any audio-related preferences in /Library/Preferences. I have a shell script I've created that does all of this automatically, since I have to replace AppleHDA.kext and test changes so frequently. Perhaps I should include it in the installation, just in case.

Hi all you Dell lovers.

Finally I had enough time and I was able to update my Inspiron 6400/E1505 from 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 with the Combo Update.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=653838

I used the indications that were also used for updating to 10.5.2.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=761779

First problem with the Intel 945GM card was solved by replacing the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext and then for system correct recognition (as it was produced by Dell with factory associated code MM061) by replacing AppleSMBIOS.kext and finally I repaired permissions. How to change it was not difficult but a bit tricky.

I used MacDrive from Windows Vista to replace the first kext for Intel 945GM and then I used install DVD Leo4All-v3 to repair the permissions for it. I chose this way because the laptop entered in a black screen after the gray apple boot screen, without possibility to make any changes in the system.

I forgot to mention that sound (Sigmatel9200) was solved using Taruga's v1.20 and the dumpcode specifically for this on-board card.

So, I succeeded to have the up-to-date version and everything is working fine. The screen capture for those non-believers is attached.

post-2775-1214649197_thumb.png

That's very strange, as it works perfectly for me. The only thing I can think of that I have changed besides AppleHDA was the ACPI kext, so I'll play around with that (substituting the old version) and see if that's made a difference. Would you mind telling me what System Profiler says about your audio devices, which version of the ACPI kext you're using, and so on? That would be a big help in isolating the problem.

Also, you'll want to make certain you delete any audio-related preferences in /Library/Preferences. I have a shell script I've created that does all of this automatically, since I have to replace AppleHDA.kext and test changes so frequently. Perhaps I should include it in the installation, just in case.

will answer your questions tonight. I have not deleted the audio preferences before. will try that also. I am sure it's something very simple. more later

edit1: AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.03 (odd, seems older. had no idea).

and here is what system profiler lists (note that this is after taruga 1.2 patch, since I want sound).

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x102801BD

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

S/P-DIF In:

Connection: RCA

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

edit2: followed instructions again, deleted audio preferences, rebooted. same thing, no speakers.

hope that helps.

You both have a subsystem ID ending in BD, whereas mine is CD - perhaps this has something to do with it, although the codec dumps cancerman attached are otherwise identical and the devices shown in System Profiler are detected correctly. I'll investigate a bit further; if someone is interested in helping me test changes, perhaps PM me your MSN username and I'll send you a few of my other revised kernel extensions in an attempt to isolate the issue.