[Guide] Dell Inspiron 6400/9400/1520/1720/E1405/E1505/E1705 Intel Core Duo

devilhood

2,614 posts in this topic

I've tested it and it's working on my Inspiron 9400 (install, boot, updates...).

and u did something special? add to INITRD.img some special kexts(except dmos.kext), and still's the 2cores trouble?

and u did something special? add to INITRD.img some special kexts(except dmos.kext), and still's the 2cores trouble?

Yes, still 2 cores troubles, i copied some kexts from my extensions folder into INITRD, but sound can't be loaded by bootloader.

Hi!

My pc is a Dell Inspiron 9400 with a Nvidia Go 7900 GS

I have installed iAtkos 2.0 with the ToH kernel i think.

And i want to run the 2 cores doing the sleep trick, as i did with tiger.

Sleep seems to work, the computer sleeps and when i press the power button the computer wakes but the display won´t.

Now I have NvidiaEFI (but tried natit and NVinject too) and laptopdisplay.kext.

When I try to disable safe sleep with "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0" I get this error: Error 0xe00002c9 writing customized power profiles to disk

I´m missing any kext that would help the display to wake up from sleep?

How do i disable safe sleep in leopard?

How can i check which kernel i have?

Thanks

There is only one choice, sleep trick, to have both cores working which I am using and very satisfied.

Here's what I did.

1. Installed kalyway 10.5.2 w/ vanilla kernel

2. Backup all the kexts that I needed especially Geforce and NVDblabla kexts and NVinjectGo-512 kext and Powerbundle

This is for enabling QE/CI support in 10.5.3 and battery meter (other devices worked fine for me)

3. Updated to 10.5.3. by using kaylyway 10.5.3 comboupdate w/ vanilla kernel again

4. Replaced all the kextx and powerbundle.

5. Enabled speedstep according to robi62's link above

6. Removed cpus=1 from the boot.plist file

7. Put into sleep and woke so I can get no graphical shuttering(everytime I boot...)

This all I did.. and to avoid putting into a short sleep everytime I boot, I just never turn it off but let it sleep instead.

It's been working very well so far..

Hope this helps ^.^

Hmm.. that's weird.. did you install graphics driver?

I you didnt you can try -x at darwin bootloader and install graphics driver..

For me almost everything was fine except speedstep and dual core

Your spec seems like very similar to mine.. so... I think it shouldnt have any problem.. at least for just booting up

Oh.. maybe your cpu is different.. is your cpu Core 2 Duo?

Wanna share the best driver for 7950gtx 512

check this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...96526&st=40

Everything is fine, I just don't know how to enable both cores via sleep trick. Everything still works fine with 1 core.

After I remove cpus=1 and reboot, i get the normal graphical stuttering and it won't load far enough to let me put it into sleep mode. Maybe I'm a little hazy on how to make the second cpu work at this point of the install. How did you get the second core working at this point?

Mine just boots far enough to put it into sleep mode

so all I do is simply press fn+esc and power button to wake it up

oh bios version could be the reason.. I updated to A09 the latest one

Other than that.. sorry I dont think I can help you anymore

Sorry for my lack of knowledge..

Sigh. I've been trying with idlehalt=0 and other commands but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how far it boots each time. I have the A09 bios installed as well.. I wonder if there's something else impeding my progress here.

I'll keep fussing. Thank you for your help though. Anything else you notice would be useful.

*edit*

Alright, I'm trying it again via fresh install, first by sonotone's method for 10.5.2, then by yours for 10.5.3 to see if there's any difference on a fresh system.

*edit2*

Strange, it now reboots every time without even getting past the wheel. Syncing disks... Kills Processes and reboots. The hell is up with my dell? This doesn't happen every time. This time I got it to boot to desktop, clicked and got both cores operational. Odd though that it is messing up so much.

Last night post gave me a power adaptor error (unabel to recognize AC adaptor) which went away. Maybe it has something to do with my laptop power supply? Time to replace? Sigh.

Hi guys! I really need some help please!, I was trying to install Kallyway 10.5.2 on my Dell Inspiron 6400/ E1505, after everything install I got stuck at teh white screen with the apple and then the pc reboots by itself and again and again. Nothingi happens if I press F8 at startup to try the commands, -v -x -y cpu=1, so the only way I can use my laptop again is to repair vista with the vista dvd, then inside vista I tried to use Easy BCD to add Ubuntu and OSX, once again no go :thumbsup_anim: , Vista and ubuntu boot ok, but I get "chain booting error" for osx. I've been trying to still Leopard 4 times already, same results after reboot from installation. Please help with this, I'm dying to try leopard.

My Specs:

Dell E1505

Intel core 2 duo T7200 2.0ghz

2g of ram

120gb WD hd

Ati radeon X1400

Thanks in advance for your help :(

Last night post gave me a power adaptor error (unabel to recognize AC adaptor) which went away. Maybe it has something to do with my laptop power supply? Time to replace? Sigh.

Since you have 7950gtx, I guess AC adapter should be in a good shape. ^.^

And I just got my dual monitor working with fr3ak!'s NVinjuctGo.kext which is optimized to dell 7950gtx card

I strongly recommend to try those who have this card ^.^

Since you have 7950gtx, I guess AC adapter should be in a good shape. ^.^

You never know with the {censored} you get off ebay though.

Just an update, sometimes when i reboot, it boots to desktop and lets me find my way to "Sleep", sometimes it just restarts. I guess it's just inevitable and a price I have to pay to keep things up-to-date on my 9400 but hey that's half the fun! :)

I've just tested an alternate AppleACPIPlatform.kext and speaker muting still works, so it's not related. Will keep digging. If anyone is willing to test and has MSN, it'd be a lot easier to do over there rather than uploading the kexts to an FTP site.

Cheers,

-T.

I dont mind helping out... Mine doesn't work as well. Will PM you my msn

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x102801BD

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: RCA

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Looks as if I spoke too soon. Performance was great, and then stopped being great. I checked with terminal and looks like I do not have a functioing speedstep.

After installing speedstep.app and the throttle kext, i get a nice big helping of "loads to blue screen".

Ideas?

Installed everything fine on my Dell 9400 with 10.5.2 using Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and then ran this patch called Dell Laptops Post-installer. Everything worked fine on my Dell Inspiron 9400 (E1705) with wifi and sound. After upgrading to 10..5.3 using JAS combo update everything still worked fine. But after using software upgrade and installed 10.5.4 and other updates from Apple, sound and wireless is gone.

Tried reinstalling the latest package here and repairing permissions, but it doesn´t help. Also tried the steps in the readme to fix wireless.

Have vanlilla kernel and Broadcom BCM43xx wireless. Sigmatel 9200 sound patch worked fine in 10.5.2 and 10.5.3.

Could the Apple Airport upgrade have broken wireless settings?

Managed to get sound working agagin, but wireless is still down. Tried a few fixes posted here on the forums, but still no luck.

Hope someone can help me.

Everything is fine, I just don't know how to enable both cores via sleep trick. Everything still works fine with 1 core.

After I remove cpus=1 and reboot, i get the normal graphical stuttering and it won't load far enough to let me put it into sleep mode. Maybe I'm a little hazy on how to make the second cpu work at this point of the install. How did you get the second core working at this point?

Same problem. I'm running iATKOS 10.5.1, and I have sleep working, but I can't get it to boot with both cores enabled in BIOS. The first time it reboots when booting, and the second time it gets to the blue screen and hangs. This is on an E1505 with a GeForce 7300 Go.

Hello, i've install Kalyway 10.5.1 without patches, only Vanilla Kernel. before that , i've install Sonotone dell patches, but some kext works for me. anyway the problem for me is Speedstep and Sleep. with vanilla kernel, sleep didn't work and tried with mobdin kernel, and sleep didn't work either. what can i do? how can enable speedstep without coolbook(i don't have serial and $$)

edit: Sleep works with 10.5.3 combo update + Darwin 9.4.0.

Dual Cores will NOT (other then the sleep trick, which causes synchronization)

function properly until either a kernel patch comes out for syncing the TSC, or a kext is created to do the same thing,

or as we've seen somewhat in snow, apple stops assuming the TSC is in sync.