AnV XNU Kernel V1.4

Andy Vandijck

AnV Kernel reliable  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Does the kernel work fine for you?

• Yes
    • Reasonable
    • No
  2. 2. Did the installer work fine for you?

• Yes
    • No, fixed it manually
    • No
  3. 3. Which cpu do you use?

• Intel with HPET and SSE3
    • Intel with SSE3
    • Older Intel
    • AMD with SSE3
    • Older AMD

383 posts in this topic

So, who pulled the plug on the site? hum... :) went out 5 min to test this kernel, a nice gentleman dropped in and.. almost 2 days of database error.. not good!

@idsoftware lol.

here is one without the tiger-anv stuff macmodels, etc so if u changed a kext it could not work

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gemmdjmhudb

the patches are included to make it better.

lol.. nice going, moskivrit. :D

Working as it should here! No surprises at all.

Thank you very much! :rolleyes:

<br />Actually Andy has improved and make better the original work of someone else, what you can't see if Andy has contributed to improve the quality of the files. I agree that his work is not from scratch, but he has contributed to optimized the software or files and make it much better. You need to test his work vs someone that made it original and you will see what I am talking about it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yep you are 100% right. But then STAMPS HIS name on it. Read the sub..."AnV XNU kernel". Yet its NOT. Everyone that got THIS kernel this far have been forgotten. His 1st post shows you how much he thinks of them.

here is one without the tiger-anv stuff macmodels, etc so if u changed a kext it could not work

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gemmdjmhudb

the patches are included to make it better.

Thanks for the "adjusted" 9.7.0 kernel ;)

Migration from 10.5.6 Pentium D 820/Asus P5LD2 rig is successful.

Installed both AppleDecrypt.kext and Disabler.kext back into extensions and fired up the 10.5.7 combo update.

After installation, force quit the installer, copied this kernel to root and restarted.

It restarted one more time and everything seems to work flawlessly, including software update.

<br /><br /><br />

Yep you are 100% right. But then STAMPS HIS name on it. Read the sub..."AnV XNU kernel". Yet its NOT. Everyone that got THIS kernel this far have been forgotten. His 1st post shows you how much he thinks of them.

Why the hassle? It's just AnV's built (or better config) of the XNU kernel sources. I don't see a problem with this name. If it would have been "AnV's Voodoo Kernel", well then I'd understand the concerns... ;-)

Having said that, I am pretty sure that everyone - well, everyone who is at least a little into open source - knows, that a project of this size takes a large variety of people working on very different levels in a loosely connected network or pool, thus producing a large number of spin-offs that usually carry at least a partially common name. Just remember all the "*buntus", that derived from Ubuntu originally...

I personally think, that Andy has truely contributed to the scene and if he wants to stamp his name on his work, so what? A little vanity to see their names out there is what keeps a lot of the open source developers that I know going. And since I do contribute to some open source projects myself, you can safely count me in there too... *ggg*

So keep up the good work Andy and I will gladly check out your "AnV XNU kernel 9.7" to see if maybe - and just maybe - it might fix the sleep/wake issues, which I still could not rid from my acer aspire one aka "macbook nano"...

cheers, _ciz

I'll try it in my own leisure =p 9.6 Vanilla kernel is great for now. One question I have for Intel users, is this working on Santa Rosa chipsets?

Why the hassle? It's just AnV's built (or better config) of the XNU kernel sources. I don't see a problem with this name. If it would have been "AnV's Voodoo Kernel", well then I'd understand the concerns... ;-)

Having said that, I am pretty sure that everyone - well, everyone who is at least a little into open source - knows, that a project of this size takes a large variety of people working on very different levels in a loosely connected network or pool, thus producing a large number of spin-offs that usually carry at least a partially common name. Just remember all the "*buntus", that derived from Ubuntu originally...

I personally think, that Andy has truely contributed to the scene and if he wants to stamp his name on his work, so what? A little vanity to see their names out there is what keeps a lot of the open source developers that I know going. And since I do contribute to some open source projects myself, you can safely count me in there too... *ggg*

So keep up the good work Andy and I will gladly check out your "AnV XNU kernel 9.7" to see if maybe - and just maybe - it might fix the sleep/wake issues, which I still could not rid from my acer aspire one aka "macbook nano"...

cheers, _ciz

He was asked by MercurySquad to change the name of his kernel. Now you are complaining that he is pretending the code he uses is his. Ill tell you what, this is open source development. Who gives a$%£"

I respect the people that coded this. However, people tend to go with something that has good support etc. A small minority of the hackers here (and hangers on) suffer from a superiority complex and are just blatantly rude. This puts people off.

Also many disappear off the face of the earth.

I think the reason people like andy is that he has been good at returning peoples messages and also speaking to people as if they were humans and not genetic regressions.

You have to start somewhere and using working code is a good place to start, re-badged or not

Cheers,

HC

Hi! I read that this kernel build supports a 64bit mode. I have AMD 64 X2 3800+ processor, so it can support it also. A question: how to boot in 64bit mode? and where can i see information in which mode OS was loaded?

Hi! I read that this kernel build supports a 64bit mode. I have AMD 64 X2 3800+ processor, so it can support it also. A question: how to boot in 64bit mode? and where can i see information in which mode OS was loaded?

Are you read a Voodoo Based XNU\Voodoo Kernel User Documentation.pdf?

By default, AMD processors will run in 32-bit mode. To enable 64-bit mode on

AMD, boot with boot flag –force64

Guys this kernel break my system. Can you guys tell me what did this kernel replaced? I'm stuck on the get ethernet adress with the original 9.5.0 voodoo kernel and with andy's kernel I'm stuck on the Mac pro part. and it wouldn't go further.

Can you guys also give me the 10.5.6 system.kext please? thanks!

Don't forget to disable any RAM you have over 4GB using the maxmem flag too. If you need more, you 'll have to use a 64bit Intel CPU (a bit ironic isn't it).

As far as detecting 64bit mode you can Get Info of /Applications/Chess.app . If there is checkbox "Open in 32 Bit Mode" then you are in 64bit mode.

• 2 weeks later...
sometimes modified kernel works better on generic pc

such in my case, vanilla 9.6.0 cant reboot/ shut down properly & for time being, im using voodoo 9.5.0

Also, some chipsets (example: nForce 630i) can't use a vanilla kernel (I'm running AnV 9.6.0, included with iDeneb 10.5.7 Combo Update due to constant KPs with Voodoo XNU kernel, also included with the same update).

Yes; iDeneb 10.5.7 Combo includes three different kernels (voodoo, AnV, and vanilla), any of which can be specified by boot-flag.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andy

I just did a clean install and installed your kernel, it works well, other than two problems I find annoying:

-First: the sound is choppy and I'm using the AC97audio.kext

-Second: Java applications are all white and don't work well but that happens to me on Voodoo Kernel too, when I use the old TOH kernel 9.2.0 java works great. :)

Is there something I am missing??

Othmam :)

With the iDeneb update to 10.5.7, I'm getting kernel panics using Adium and Candybar; it seems to be when an animation is about to be performed, although it's only theses apps that cause panics. Things like Dashboard are fine. The problem seems similar to this guy's problem.

I've uploaded three panics here (you'll have to change the extension to just .zip, apologies for the hosting problem). Two are with v1.3 of this kernel, one is v1.4: all three panics are the same cause though. What's strange about the panics is that my model seems to be 'Macmini2,1', but I set 'Macpro3,1' in my boot arguments, and on a verbose boot I get a lot of messages saying that macmodel has been set to 'Macpro3,1'.

I was originally using NVinject and heard that this could cause problems, so I'm now using NVkush, but the problem persists. I have also tried deleting all nVidia kexts (NV*, Geforce) apart from NVkush, but QE/CI was disabled and my resolution was limited to 1024x800. Not sure what else to try really. Perhaps trying to use AGPGart type kext would help?

Cheers

With the iDeneb update to 10.5.7, I'm getting kernel panics using Adium and Candybar; it seems to be when an animation is about to be performed, although it's only theses apps that cause panics. Things like Dashboard are fine. The problem seems similar to this guy's problem.

I've uploaded three panics here (you'll have to change the extension to just .zip, apologies for the hosting problem). Two are with v1.3 of this kernel, one is v1.4: all three panics are the same cause though. What's strange about the panics is that my model seems to be 'Macmini2,1', but I set 'Macpro3,1' in my boot arguments, and on a verbose boot I get a lot of messages saying that macmodel has been set to 'Macpro3,1'.

I was originally using NVinject and heard that this could cause problems, so I'm now using NVkush, but the problem persists. I have also tried deleting all nVidia kexts (NV*, Geforce) apart from NVkush, but QE/CI was disabled and my resolution was limited to 1024x800. Not sure what else to try really. Perhaps trying to use AGPGart type kext would help?

Cheers

Silly me. I never tried replacing the graphics kexts from 10.5.6 to my current 10.5.7 install. Booted in to an install DVD, removed all the NV* and Ge* kexts in my extensions folder, and replaced them with all NV* and Ge* kexts from my 10.5.6. Then re-installed NVinject/NVkush (they both work fine for me). All solved.

+ tried this kernel and compared xbench to vanilla 9.6.0 and performance was quite identical

+ everything worked fine including rosetta ppc apps

- had to boot with -f everytime so loading times were much longer and to boot

It didn't fixed lan issue (dropping connection) so I have really no use of this kernel as vanilla 9.6.0 works great (wchich is strange cos 9.5.0 and earlier are no go on asus p5n-d...). If I'll be installing Leo on some AMD machine then this kernel will be first to check ;)