AnV XNU Kernel V1.4

Andy Vandijck

AnV Kernel reliable  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Does the kernel work fine for you?

• Yes
    • Reasonable
    • No
  2. 2. Did the installer work fine for you?

• Yes
    • No, fixed it manually
    • No
  3. 3. Which cpu do you use?

• Intel with HPET and SSE3
    • Intel with SSE3
    • Older Intel
    • AMD with SSE3
    • Older AMD

383 posts in this topic

Apparently im too stupid to add the macmodel=MacPro3,1 to boot.plist.

it still displays no macmodel argument found on startup and reverts it to macbookpro.

Did i do anything wrong? Heres my boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>debug=0x100</string>

<string>macmodel=MacPro3,1</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32@60</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

And i played around with pcwiz osx86tools and modified about my mac, but even after restoring the changes in about this mac it says processor unknown now, as before it dosplayed it correctly.

any ideas how to revert that?

Thx in advance!

what is <string>debug=0x100</string> ?

it should be like this:

<key>Kernel</key>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <key>Graphics Mode</key>

what is <string>debug=0x100</string> ?

it should be like this:

<key>Kernel</key>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <key>Graphics Mode</key>

Yes but there is also an option for no model override:

-nomacmodeloverride

Try that one first & my smbios...

Interesting yet weird...

I'll keep it in mind if I ever encounter anything like it...

I have the same problem before i try osxtools assuming to fix my kernel panic acpi problem i check all system maintenance option from osx86tools then reboot and no kernel panic successfully load into leopard without a -f -v flag

Andy, I have installed the AnV kernel v1.4 on my AMD machine and everything is running smoothly for the most part except for the Mail application which crashes on startup. I have noticed this happening after I restart the computer. It usually gets fixed after I do few restarts. Here's a screenshot of the error message:

IMG_9180.jpg

Hello Andy! Your modified kernel is great, but I have a problem. I used my machine with 4 GB of ram, until yesterday when I bought +4 GB. Installed all 8 GB and when I started the machine, booted to Leopard, the screen switches over to blue one after the grey with Apple logo, and stopped here. When I start with maxmem=4096 or maxmem=5120 the Leopard working well, but I enabling more ram, the boot is stopping at the blue screen. Any ideas? Sorry for my English!

Thanks.

Update: I patched the whole drive with Marvin's AMD Utility, and used the -nobuiltindecrypter option, now working with all 8GB ram.

Update 2: Not working at all. Randomly get a kernel panic for mds. Sometimes on reboot, shutdown, sometimes when starting Leopard. Sometimes working well. Any ideas? Thanks.

i installed this kernel before and now my system won't boot. it kp's before it starts loading unless i do -f and then the login window doesn't come up it just sits at the text occasionally coming up with the macmodel error.

i have a Core2 Duo E8400, GA-EP45-DS3L mobo, 9500gt video card and 4gb ram

Hello Andy! Your modified kernel is great, but I have a problem. I used my machine with 4 GB of ram, until yesterday when I bought +4 GB. Installed all 8 GB and when I started the machine, booted to Leopard, the screen switches over to blue one after the grey with Apple logo, and stopped here. When I start with maxmem=4096 or maxmem=5120 the Leopard working well, but I enabling more ram, the boot is stopping at the blue screen. Any ideas? Sorry for my English!

Thanks.

Update: I patched the whole drive with Marvin's AMD Utility, and used the -nobuiltindecrypter option, now working with all 8GB ram.

Update 2: Not working at all. Randomly get a kernel panic for mds. Sometimes on reboot, shutdown, sometimes when starting Leopard. Sometimes working well. Any ideas? Thanks.

Install my decrypts for AMD...

That should fix those second probs...

Andy, I have installed the AnV kernel v1.4 on my AMD machine and everything is running smoothly for the most part except for the Mail application which crashes on startup. I have noticed this happening after I restart the computer. It usually gets fixed after I do few restarts. Here's a screenshot of the error message:

IMG_9180.jpg

I have exactly the same problem with 9.6 v1.4. Each time I try to launch it, Mail.app crashes or (most of the time actually) produces a KP.

Btw it also happened with Voodoo 9.5 and 9.6 v1.1.

However, in my case, reboots don't seems to help. I can't figure out how to solve this.

My specs:

CPU: AMD 64 3500+

Mobo: GA-M55Plus-S3G (chipset nforce410)

RAM: 8Gb DDR2 800Mhz

SATA HD

I have exactly the same problem with 9.6 v1.4. Each time I try to launch it, Mail.app crashes or (most of the time actually) produces a KP.

Btw it also happened with Voodoo 9.5 and 9.6 v1.1.

However, in my case, reboots don't seems to help. I can't figure out how to solve this.

My specs:

CPU: AMD 64 3500+

Mobo: GA-M55Plus-S3G (chipset nforce410)

RAM: 8Gb DDR2 800Mhz

SATA HD

OK I just tried something: remove 6Gb of RAM (ouch!).

With "only" 2Gb, Mail.app launch like a charm.

So I guess it has to do with the >3,5Gb thing.

Maybe my nforce chipset.

I already use the AppleNForceATA.kext modified by Slashack, which is supposed to fix this memory problem.

This kext was perfect when I didn't yet install the Voodoo Kernel.

Is there a kext or something I can correct, so I can use my 8Gb of RAM?

I really hope so, otherwise I'll have to stay with 10.5.5 without any Voodoo kernel ;)

OK I just tried something: remove 6Gb of RAM (ouch!).

With "only" 2Gb, Mail.app launch like a charm.

So I guess it has to do with the >3,5Gb thing.

Maybe my nforce chipset.

I already use the AppleNForceATA.kext modified by Slashack, which is supposed to fix this memory problem.

This kext was perfect when I didn't yet install the Voodoo Kernel.

Is there a kext or something I can correct, so I can use my 8Gb of RAM?

I really hope so, otherwise I'll have to stay with 10.5.5 without any Voodoo kernel :D

Hmm... it is possible yet an nForce 4 chipset with AMD Athlon64 and 3GB of RAM (a friend of mine has one like that) doesn't have it...

Maybe it is the PAE in the kernel that doesn't work right for some chipsets...

If I have the time I'll look into it but I'm quite busy these days.

Hmm... it is possible yet an nForce 4 chipset with AMD Athlon64 and 3GB of RAM (a friend of mine has one like that) doesn't have it...

Maybe it is the PAE in the kernel that doesn't work right for some chipsets...

If I have the time I'll look into it but I'm quite busy these days.

Thanks a lot!

Hope you'll find THE solution :thumbsup_anim:

Andy! You're great! Working good with your decrypted binaries, but the mail crash is a memory or kernel issue, with 4 GB working good, with 8 GB crash like CyCLoBoT or Dliz.

Surprisingly, I only have 4GB of RAM. As I said before, the only way for me to get rid of the KP is to restart few times and then Mail opens up just fine.

I never got a Voodoo or AnV XNU kernel to boot an AMD system with >4GB RAM unless I disable 64bit support or/and use the "legacy" flag. It's a pity since my PhenomII 940 system really needs that extra RAM - never felt comfortable running one application at a time. 

launching voodoo build

it get an error after the decompressing of the 1st file

[1] Processing boostrap_cmds (bootstrap_cmds-60.1)

Extracting (bootstrap_cmds-60.1.tar.gz)...

Patching (bootstrap_cmds-60.1-AnV.diff)...

Building...

Makefile:11: //Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `//Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make'. Stop.

ERROR

i've cleaned a couple of time the entire folder.. but the problem still remain

how about it?

I never got a Voodoo or AnV XNU kernel to boot an AMD system with >4GB RAM unless I disable 64bit support or/and use the "legacy" flag. It's a pity since my PhenomII 940 system really needs that extra RAM - never felt comfortable running one application at a time.

???

I only use 1GB of RAM and I can run every app on my system (about 50 installed) without any slowdowns...

4GB would be no problem...

launching voodoo build

it get an error after the decompressing of the 1st file

[1] Processing boostrap_cmds (bootstrap_cmds-60.1)

Extracting (bootstrap_cmds-60.1.tar.gz)...

Patching (bootstrap_cmds-60.1-AnV.diff)...

Building...

Makefile:11: //Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make: No such file or directory

make: *** No rule to make target `//Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/BSDCommon.make'. Stop.

ERROR

i've cleaned a couple of time the entire folder.. but the problem still remain

how about it?

You need a copy of BSDCommon.make under the makefiles...

I believe they are present in V3.0 / V3.1 Xcode packages but not V3.1.2...

Since I installed V3.0, next V3.1 and then V3.1.2 it is no issue...

If you have got a retail install disc use pacifist to get it from that xcode version...

try using andys boot loader, smbios and decrypt (amd/intel), nfoces user (nforceata), anv kernel for compatibility issue w/ kp.

my hack run smoth without kernel panic thanks andy your great dev. :)

I installed Andy's smbios and bootloader, but mail just generate kernel panic...

???

I only use 1GB of RAM and I can run every app on my system (about 50 installed) without any slowdowns...

4GB would be no problem...

Not for me. My two most common everyday work scenarios are 

1) running Netbeans, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Aperture, a couple of browsers with multiple open tabs, various servers daemons, plus many more at the same time (I know, I could probably distribute some of my workload at separate machines, e.g. Glassfish and MySQL)

2) running Netbeans, Matlab, Maple, R, NeoOffice, etc., plus having tens of open browser tabs and pdf documents 

Not for me. My two most common everyday work scenarios are

1) running Netbeans, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Aperture, a couple of browsers with multiple open tabs, various servers daemons, plus many more at the same time (I know, I could probably distribute some of my workload at separate machines, e.g. Glassfish and MySQL)

2) running Netbeans, Matlab, Maple, R, NeoOffice, etc., plus having tens of open browser tabs and pdf documents

OK now that is something I haven't encountered much...

Yeah that would change stuff allright...

NOTE for the rest: I've solved the problem you all had to build it...

I'll give you guys the new solution as soon as I finished packaging it...