AnV XNU Kernel V1.4

Andy Vandijck

AnV Kernel reliable  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Does the kernel work fine for you?

• Yes
    • Reasonable
    • No
  2. 2. Did the installer work fine for you?

• Yes
    • No, fixed it manually
    • No
  3. 3. Which cpu do you use?

• Intel with HPET and SSE3
    • Intel with SSE3
    • Older Intel
    • AMD with SSE3
    • Older AMD

383 posts in this topic

hello Andy

i've executed your command.. but before I read your post!

fine.. the compile of xnu was fine

then.. I tried to run voodoobuil .. but it stops at 5 step. strange

I removed tools and xnu..* folders

and rerun voodoobuild another time

sigh.. they came back.. like the zombies?

another libc error

I repeat the copy of PPC folder into S/L/framework.. etc etc like yesterday!

relaunch

7] Processing Libc (Libc-498.1.5) (5 mins) 21:46:25

Extracting (Libc-498.1.5.tar.gz)...

Patching (Libc-498.1.5.diff)...

Building...

mv readdir.So readdir-INODE32.So

mv scandir.So scandir-INODE32.So

mv seekdir.So seekdir-INODE32.So

mv telldir.So telldir-INODE32.So

mv statx_np.So statx_np-INODE32.So

2 errors

*** Error code 2

Stop in /Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/voodoobuild/tools/Libc-498.1.5.

make: *** [build] Error 1

ERROR

i tried 2 time to replace ppc folder.. but I get that error..

hello Andy

i've executed your command.. but i'd like to give you a log because the terminal windows was too long and I can't cut&oaste all the warnings errors for you.

I think most of them are not important.. but .. this way to compile generates a report/log .. in what folder?

It doesn't generate a log file but you can do the command with the following suffix:

> Message.log 2> Error.log

This will generate 2 logs... 1 with the errors and 1 with the messages it spawns...

ok

hy!! i've edited in last 10 minutes the prevoius post.. but I've no good news!

sorry.

Andy.. .i've another different news

In my signature I'm trying to run on mini and micro atx with mcp79

the good news is that your 9.6 1.4 kernel run perfect without HPET errors with mcp79 chipset!

succhaabbeautifullllll

ok

hy!! i've edited in last 10 minutes the prevoius post.. but I've no good news!

sorry.

Andy.. .i've another different news

In my signature I'm trying to run on mini and micro atx with mcp79

the good news is that your 9.6 1.4 kernel run perfect without HPET errors with mcp79 chipset!

succhaabbeautifullllll

Well... I need logs again for Libc...

NOTE: did you know that if with that last command the xnu kernel build succeeded the result was right there waiting for you under BUILD/dst?

*sigh* there was no need to run Voodoobuild again... all it does after last xnu phase is copy mach_kernel to mach_kernel..._AnV and System.kext to the same level as the voodoobuild.sh script...

oh. really? I erased my kernel??

ok.. I repeat all the procedure

here my log

ciao

I figured it out...

The problem right now is this: System/i386/cpu_capabilities.h missing...

So the solution: this is present in my kernel build tools package...

Install the package with the build tools again and continue building...

Apparently you accidentally removed them from /System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework/PrivateHeaders...

hy

today I did the same:

-copied the file you wrote (yes it misses again.. how it did?!)

-relaunched.. errors

-erased ALL

-unzipped voodoobuild

-wrote my user pass

-launched

-error in 5 (as 2 days ago..

wrote this

#echo "[$(( ++counter ))] Processing kext_tools (${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS})"

#fnExtract ${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS} tools cache/${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS}.tar.gz

#fnBuild ${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS} tools/${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS} "/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 kextsymboltool.c -o kextsymboltool -I ${VOODOO_PATH_IOKITUSER} -I ${VOODOO_PATH_CCTOOLS}/include -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc"

#echo

-errors

wrote the second suggestion

-errors

the newer error is

[5] Processing XNU (Headers) (xnu-1228.9.59) (1 min) 19:12:20

Extracting (xnu-1228.9.59.tar.gz)...

Patching (xnu-1228.7.58_sandbox.diff)...

Building...

MIG memory_object_default_server.h

MIG notify_server.h

MIG task_access_server.h

cp: memory_object_control.h: No such file or directory

make[4]: *** [/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/voodoobuild/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/BUILD/obj/EXPORT_HDRS//mach/memory_object_control.h] Error 1

make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make[3]: *** [build_exporthdrs_mi] Error 2

make[2]: *** [build_exporthdrs_mi] Error 2

make[1]: *** [build_exporthdrs_mi] Error 2

make: *** [exporthdrs_mi] Error 2

ERROR

is a nemesis?!

I see!

but (don't be surprised for the photo... ) here we say : vecchia guardia.. this mean I'm older style. Then I'm right with the policies of a good system with a good kernel.. sure that the kernel is prepared for months and tuned to run perfectly! but I like to build my own! The second step is manage or slim the kernel.. but I asked Andy.. if it's a good way to think as a mac unix kernel. Is important to manage a kernel? what are the advantaged to buil one on my pc? Is more stable? It fit perfectly with my machine? In linux we put drivers.. we cut parts that are not useful or we know that we never want to use.. or we manage to balance from a monolitic kernel that is bigger but run in kernel space some things that we consider important and untouchable. etc etc..

here.. what are the possibilities? what the goals to achieve? what the policies? what the trigger? and how to put our hands (except for run a script?) :happymac:

is the bigger questions of the life!

--

I cp the cpu_capabilities in .....privateheaders/i386.. I should cp also into PPC as you wrote in 14th page!!

ups!

ah in my hach headers is a smlink to privateheaders

but.. nothing

I'm asking why yesterday I run this step fine (with a # in those rows) and today no! gosh

[5] Processing XNU (Headers) (xnu-1228.9.59) (1 min) 22:31:48

Building...

MIG notify_server.h

MIG task_access_server.h

make[4]: *** [/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/voodoobuild/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/BUILD/obj/EXPORT_HDRS//mach/memory_object_control.h] Error 1

ERROR

hy andy

i've copied that file (memory object control.h)

from my system.. then rerun the voodoobuilder

but.. the file miss again

this is because when I run voodoobuil.. it remove previous build and the file miss again

should I put a GOTO or similar function that bypass the delete and create folders tools??

thanks

hy

today I did the same:

-copied the file you wrote (yes it misses again.. how it did?!)

-relaunched.. errors

-erased ALL

-unzipped voodoobuild

-wrote my user pass

-launched

-error in 5 (as 2 days ago..

wrote this

#echo "[$(( ++counter ))] Processing kext_tools (${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS})"

#fnExtract ${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS} tools cache/${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS}.tar.gz

#fnBuild ${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS} tools/${ARCHIVE_KEXTTOOLS} "/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 kextsymboltool.c -o kextsymboltool -I ${VOODOO_PATH_IOKITUSER} -I ${VOODOO_PATH_CCTOOLS}/include -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -arch ppc"

#echo

-errors

wrote the second suggestion

-errors

the newer error is

[5] Processing XNU (Headers) (xnu-1228.9.59) (1 min) 19:12:20

Building...

MIG notify_server.h

MIG task_access_server.h

ERROR

is a nemesis?!

Did you also reinstall the .pkg file included in the new zip?

This seems to be a mig related problem...

The kernel is allready as tuned as it can get...

If you tune it for running faster (-O3) the build certainly fails...

The best optimization option one can get is the default (-Os)

What may be possible however is adding your cpu tune info... (-march X -mtune X)

Look in man gcc for this (or info gcc)

Andy,

I am pleased to say that I am now using your package with my Prescott P4 Dimension 8300, and it works very well with no errors, with very significant performance gains.

You have made great improvements and respect to you.

Greets

Bill Grau

bgrau2000

Made for those like me who have problems with HPET.

boot with boot arguments:

- HPET fully fixed for all...

- faster for all...

useoldhpet=1

to fix HPET along with this old downloadable HPET kext.

enjoy... :(

NOTE: You need the old AppleHPET.kext in case of CPUs like my Intel Celeron M 420...

Download + change if needed...

EDIT1: Improved Intel (bundled) + AMD (built-in) dynamic linker.

Added installer options for AppleIntelClock driver + installing old HPET driver (needed only if probeHPET failed is shown on boot...)

New build procedure based on voodoobuild (can build all the latest sources).

Build optimizations enable even faster system too... ;)

EDIT2: Fixed dynamic linkers.

Implemented Hnak RTC fix (thanks Hnak).

Added options for decrypter + mac model override, these can be disabled with:

-nobuiltindecrypter

-nomacmodeloverride

Changed the use old HPET option to -useoldhpet

Fixed various issues...

NEW: I've added the build tools + files I use to build the kernel these days.

Install package first and put BSDCommon.make under /Developer/Makefiles/CoreOS/ReleaseControl/

Use the new voodoobuild.sh to build the kernel...

Get it from: Kernel build tools download

hy andy

i've copied that file (memory object control.h)

from my system.. then rerun the voodoobuilder

but.. the file miss again

this is because when I run voodoobuil.. it remove previous build and the file miss again

should I put a GOTO or similar function that bypass the delete and create folders tools??

thanks

Normally you should even be able to skip exporting kernel headers (comment out with #) in the script since these are all contained (except for the PPC ones) into the build tools installer package...

So add the PPC parts into the /System/Library/Frameworks/System.framework and /System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework parts and continue building without generating exportheaders...

You should be able to build everything...

If it should fail on the last part (building xnu with patches itself) do the manual build I suggested and copy over at least System.kext and mach_kernel from BUILD/dst/mach_kernel and BUILD/dst/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext...

I still find it weird you are having so much trouble getting this done as for me it worked without problems...

Try it and let me know...

ok

I'm right with you. it's weird..

I searched in my System .. framework.. folders.. and I've all the Headers.

then.. in Italy we say: let's cut the head of the bull.. to speak about trying to force and cut the time.. let's move on ..

gone to tools/xnu and launched "make installhdrs"

I had those 2 errors

"/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/new/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/osfmk/mach/memory_object_control.defs", line 152: type 'upl_t' not defined

"/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/new/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/osfmk/mach/memory_object_control.defs", line 153: type 'upl_page_info_array_t' not defined

mig: fatal: "/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/new/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/osfmk/mach/memory_object_control.defs", line 154: 2 errors found. Abort.

then.. copied all the System headers missing as you wrote.. i.e. memory_object*.*

relaunched..

the same.. can I define them?

ok

I'm right with you. it's weird..

I searched in my System .. framework.. folders.. and I've all the Headers.

then.. in Italy we say: let's cut the head of the bull.. to speak about trying to force and cut the time.. let's move on ..

gone to tools/xnu and launched "make installhdrs"

I had those 2 errors

"/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/new/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/osfmk/mach/memory_object_control.defs", line 152: type 'upl_t' not defined

"/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/new/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/osfmk/mach/memory_object_control.defs", line 153: type 'upl_page_info_array_t' not defined

mig: fatal: "/Volumes/Dati/-/kernelsrc/new/tools/xnu-1228.9.59/osfmk/mach/memory_object_control.defs", line 154: 2 errors found. Abort.

then.. copied all the System headers missing as you wrote.. i.e. memory_object*.*

relaunched..

the same.. can I define them?

Yes you could...

Look for them in spotlight (in .defs file probably...) and define them the same way as the .defs files define them.

Remove the imports/includes for the missing file...

Alternatively just plainly straight import/include those that define it with an absolute path (I believe between "" kind of like "/X/Y/Z.defs")...

Then just plainly run the make installhdrs phase and put the BUILD/dst/* parts in their proper places and comment out the parts for installhdrs in voodoobuild.sh with # and run it...

It is an overly messy workaround but it should work...

Let me know how it went afterwards...

BTW: From Italy? You guys have got some great pastas, etc... just prepared some nice spicy spaghetti with a tick creamy cheese sauce myself... hmmm....

OT)) oh.yes. but you have to search for 'pasta' not so slim.. the top is a shape that is large like a finger, long 4cm, we call penne or rigatoni. it is better to 'catch' a lot of sausages inside and over.. and it's better if it is made of milled of hard grain flour (it's yellow not white) and obviously if it's stretched with bronze or copper and more obviously if it's hand-made!

spaghetti are ideal with fish sausages or bacon (we call carbonara) but you have to prepare apart the bacon (cut to little cubes..low power.. to let the fat exit quitely) in a large pot.. the pot is needed at the end. Prepare spaghetti, medium cooking (we say.. al dente.. means you taste one and it must be soft outside and a little little bit hard at center). apart you have to prepare 3 or 4 eggs.. shake them (white and red) with pepper and salt fromage.. we use pecorino (sheep fromage not much seasoned). when spaghetti are ready (medium ok?) you put them into the mix of eggs.. shuffle in order to quitely cook the mix (mean: eggs with the hot spaghetti become to cooks themselves!) but not too much.. and put the entirely into the pot (when you see that spaghetti are ready you have to turn on the power on the pot to have very hot bacon and liquid fats!!) ok.. put spaghetti.. turn 1 minute and .. eat!

my wife bas born Near Bruxelles.. and I'm searching a guy from your land who is very kind to (with my payment) ship half a dozen kilos of Brown sugar Cassonade de cassonade Candi. ^_^ but I don't know what 's the costs (in italy Italian standard offices ask for 9€ until 8kg of material and for a particular limit of HxLxV measure.) and the limit in order to ask for the right kg of sugar!!

heh

OT)) oh.yes. but you have to search for 'pasta' not so slim.. the top is a shape that is large like a finger, long 4cm, we call penne or rigatoni. it is better to 'catch' a lot of sausages inside and over.. and it's better if it is made of milled of hard grain flour (it's yellow not white) and obviously if it's stretched with bronze or copper and more obviously if it's hand-made!

spaghetti are ideal with fish sausages or bacon (we call carbonara) but you have to prepare apart the bacon (cut to little cubes..low power.. to let the fat exit quitely) in a large pot.. the pot is needed at the end. Prepare spaghetti, medium cooking (we say.. al dente.. means you taste one and it must be soft outside and a little little bit hard at center). apart you have to prepare 3 or 4 eggs.. shake them (white and red) with pepper and salt fromage.. we use pecorino (sheep fromage not much seasoned). when spaghetti are ready (medium ok?) you put them into the mix of eggs.. shuffle in order to quitely cook the mix (mean: eggs with the hot spaghetti become to cooks themselves!) but not too much.. and put the entirely into the pot (when you see that spaghetti are ready you have to turn on the power on the pot to have very hot bacon and liquid fats!!) ok.. put spaghetti.. turn 1 minute and .. eat!

my wife bas born Near Bruxelles.. and I'm searching a guy from your land who is very kind to (with my payment) ship half a dozen kilos of Brown sugar Cassonade de cassonade Candi. :rolleyes: but I don't know what 's the costs (in italy Italian standard offices ask for 9€ until 8kg of material and for a particular limit of HxLxV measure.) and the limit in order to ask for the right kg of sugar!!

heh

OK... I'll try that...

Sounds delicious...

I don't know how much the brown sugar stands here right now but I'll check...

How much exactly do you need?

I could get it to you if I knew more...

PM me on this...

Hey Andy,

First of all, I have to say that I am very impressed with the work you've done. I am using your 1.4 kernel and your AppleSMBIOS-28.kext and I am quite happy with them, though there are one or two problems I'm having with the kernel. First of all, I am using a Phenom 9950 on an AMD 790FX based motherboard and I can get into the gui only on an old installation of 10.5.5 that I had before going to the phenom and only in 32-bit mode. If I try to do -force64, I cannot get to the point that it says Jettisoning Kernel Linker and continues. It just hangs there and never goes past that point. If I boot into safe mode with -force64 enabled, it boots up just fine.

The other problem, that may be related, is that I am having a terrible time installing a newer version (or even the same version) of OS X on another partition. Basically, I can't boot any installer (XxX, iPC, etc.) without using safe mode. Installation does go smoothly in safe mode, but it's still not ideal. Then, when I try to boot the newly installed system, I still have to use safe mode, otherwise it hangs either right before loading the gui, or right after (read: no login).

I'm not very fond of safe mode, so if you can think of anything that might help me, I'd really appreciate it.

btw, I have used your kernel on a similar motherboard before, but with a dual core Opteron and never had any of these issues.

Black Knight, try to remove 4 Gb ram, or use the maxmem=4096 flag. This enables 4 Gb memory only. We have this issue and Andy is working on it.

Thank you so much!!!!

I can't believe it worked. I totally hadn't thought about the fact that I increased ram when I first got my Phenom. I don't really need 8 GB of ram in OS X, so I'm not too worried about disabling half of it as a fix, but it would be nice to have it working.

Thanks again,

Paul

On another note, does anyone have a fix for setting the multiplier to above 15? It seems that I can boot flawlessly at 15 (3.0 GHz), but as soon as I go above that (15.5), it crashes before even loading Chameleon. I know that the computer is dead stable in windows with a multiplier of 16 (3.2 GHz), but that just doesn't happen at all in OS X.

Hey Andy,

First of all, I have to say that I am very impressed with the work you've done. I am using your 1.4 kernel and your AppleSMBIOS-28.kext and I am quite happy with them, though there are one or two problems I'm having with the kernel. First of all, I am using a Phenom 9950 on an AMD 790FX based motherboard and I can get into the gui only on an old installation of 10.5.5 that I had before going to the phenom and only in 32-bit mode. If I try to do -force64, I cannot get to the point that it says Jettisoning Kernel Linker and continues. It just hangs there and never goes past that point. If I boot into safe mode with -force64 enabled, it boots up just fine.

The other problem, that may be related, is that I am having a terrible time installing a newer version (or even the same version) of OS X on another partition. Basically, I can't boot any installer (XxX, iPC, etc.) without using safe mode. Installation does go smoothly in safe mode, but it's still not ideal. Then, when I try to boot the newly installed system, I still have to use safe mode, otherwise it hangs either right before loading the gui, or right after (read: no login).

I'm not very fond of safe mode, so if you can think of anything that might help me, I'd really appreciate it.

btw, I have used your kernel on a similar motherboard before, but with a dual core Opteron and never had any of these issues.

If you use -force64 try booting with maxmem=4096 to limit the amount of RAM to 4GB...

It could be a PAE issue on AMD...

It should work fine without 64-bit or without PAE (thus max 4GB) used...