[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

If you're running 10.5.7 on an Core i7 system, there's no need to install a different kernel. It'll run the Apple-supplied vanilla one.

Did you install a DSDT patch from your Macbook? (trick question!)

Is ACHI enabled for your SATA drives?

regards,

MAJ

Hey,

thanks a lot!!! yes, i installed the DSDT Patch from my macbook^^ Now i did that on the i7 mashine, and nearly everything works fine! -->

I am not able to get my graphic card work with Quartz Extreme! It is a nVidia 9800GT. What do i have to do?!

i tryed:

- using OSX86Tools to add an Geforce 8800GT string to boot.plist

- using the Nvkush/NVinject.kext from the script (first post)

- efistudio to modify the boot.plist (add an 8800GT)

No try changes anything! So what do i do wrong?!

screenshot.tiff

Hey,

thanks a lot!!! yes, i installed the DSDT Patch from my macbook^^ Now i did that on the i7 mashine, and nearly everything works fine! -->

I am not able to get my graphic card work with Quartz Extreme! It is a nVidia 9800GT. What do i have to do?!

i tryed:

- using OSX86Tools to add an Geforce 8800GT string to boot.plist

- using the Nvkush/NVinject.kext from the script (first post)

- efistudio to modify the boot.plist (add an 8800GT)

No try changes anything! So what do i do wrong?!

Please see my post on page 96 (#1908) of this guide or go to:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1189197

I haven't had much luck so far looking for a ALC888 codec for the UD3R. In fact all I have found out is that there are a lot of people with this same problem. I have tried a number of AppleHDA.kexts in my S/L/E folder (none of which seemed to work). I have also tried codec dumps with AppleHDAPatcher 2.0 and I got nothing there either... From what I have gathered these X58 boards use ICH10 as opposed ICH8 and 9 which is all I can seem to find. The 'supposed' working audio kext that I mentioned earlier doesn't work either. As much as I resent the use of VoodooHDA, whereabouts do I install it? I have already tried S/L/E (where again it wasn't recognised) and Extras/Stored_Kexts updated boot cache etc. and I still have no active audio device! Very annoying, if only I had gone for the UD5 like I wanted to!

Are there any suggestions whatsoever; anyone with a UD3R and fully functional audio?

I haven't had much luck so far looking for a ALC888 codec for the UD3R. In fact all I have found out is that there are a lot of people with this same problem. I have tried a number of AppleHDA.kexts in my S/L/E folder (none of which seemed to work). I have also tried codec dumps with AppleHDAPatcher 2.0 and I got nothing there either... From what I have gathered these X58 boards use ICH10 as opposed ICH8 and 9 which is all I can seem to find. The 'supposed' working audio kext that I mentioned earlier doesn't work either. As much as I resent the use of VoodooHDA, whereabouts do I install it? I have already tried S/L/E (where again it wasn't recognised) and Extras/Stored_Kexts updated boot cache etc. and I still have no active audio device! Very annoying, if only I had gone for the UD5 like I wanted to!

Are there any suggestions whatsoever; anyone with a UD3R and fully functional audio?

I have the UD3R board, 10.5.7 and audio works with VoodooHDA in S/L/E. I would not call it fully functional as it is only stereo sound. I would suggest using a USB adapter (that's what I use at my primary work station even though internal audio does work).

i've been trying to install a usb-wifi dongle. I am unable to get my system to sense any networks though. Did you include a wifi kext in this? Or do i have to do someting specially to get my wifi dongle to work.

Just to be clear, I have searched the forums and my wifi dongle should work. The manufacturers even wrote leopard drivers for it.

I don't think you'll gain anything by having the vanilla AppleHDA disabled. Doesn't the VoodooHDA ignore it anyway?

The UD3R board doesn't use the same audio chipset as the UD5. It uses the Realtek ALC888 codec. (The UD5 uses the 889a)

Perhaps someone else may be able to chime in with a working kext set, but until then, you'd need to check out the audio forums for something that works. (EDIT: Beaten x2!)

regards,

MAJ

The Readme.txt included with the VoodooHDA + PrefPane says, "bad things will happen if some other hda driver is loaded or present in the catalogue when voodoohda is loaded."

as soon as I removed AppleHDA from S/L/E, VoodooHDA started to work properly.

Callum, I would suggest finding the VoodooHDA.kext that includes the prefpane. I can't seem to get it to work from /Extra, so it needs to be loaded in S/L/E. I prefer to use D_D's method of placing VoodooHDA.kext in /Extra/Stored_Kexts/_For_System/ and it will be loaded into S/L/E when Boot Caches are updated. (this is described in the first post in this thread)

You don't need the Legacy audio kexts included with D_D's script, as they're intended for the audio on the UD5 board. You do however, need to remove AppleHDA from S/L/E. (unless we can figure out how to disable it using disabler.kext)

I haven't tried Mulit-channel, but stereo works fine both analog and S/PDIF. If you want to use S/PDIF, you need to use Audio MIDI Setup to change the format to 88200 Hz and 16 bit.

Don't regret getting the UD3R, it should work just as well as the UD5, I think the only difference is there's less ports and the audio is different.

Ryan

Download: X58 Mobo Patch Installer v4b BETA

Snow Leopard ready.

• Fixed CMOS reset bug in SL: I had targeted and copied the wrong file in previous version. :thumbsup_anim:
  • Includes needed files to boot into latest SL update (build 10A421a). Separate script included. Double-click and you're done.
    EDIT: You'll need to get into the script to add your SL volume name.

This makes for a larger download - 30.9MB!

regards,

MAJ

Can you elaborate about the "getting into the script" ? Didn't see your edit and can't get into SL any more atm. Never mind, found it, I'm such a nOOb at some of these things. Will try later :P

Great! I have found a working solution without using VoodooHDA, here's proof:

sound.png

And here's the zipped kext: http://files.getdropbox.com/u/790162/EX58-UD3R%20-audio.zip

Although some of these steps might be unnecessary, this is how I did it: start by removing LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext and LegacyHDAController.kext from the /Stored_Kexts directory. The I used Kext Helper (Heh) to install the audio kext over the original AppleHDA.kext. Then to make sure I repaired my drive permissions in Disk Utility. Restarted, and voila it worked. Thanks for the help!

Forgot to mention updating boot caches would be a good idea :|

Can confirm that SL -421 patch is working. Still searching a way to get my jmicron back, no luck so far. Atm I have to choose : jmicron in 64bit or networking in 32bit.

Same here, SL 421 with Netkas' beta-decrypt. Choosing between network or JMicron... The RealtekR1000.kext loads on x64 but doesn't recieve a (DHCP) IP-address.

<SNIP>Although some of these steps might be unnecessary, this is how I did it: start by removing LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext and LegacyHDAController.kext from the /Stored_Kexts directory. The I used Kext Helper (Heh) to install the audio kext over the original AppleHDA.kext. Then to make sure I repaired my drive permissions in Disk Utility. Restarted, and voila it worked. Thanks for the help!

Forgot to mention updating boot caches would be a good idea :)

Good deal! Congrats!

Here's a tip that will make installation easier: Use the script. :)

You could:

1. Remove those two kexts from /Stored_Kexts directory
  2. Add a "_For_System" folder inside /Stored_Kexts directory.
  3. Place the audio kext inside "_For_System" directory
  4. Then, update boot cache.
  5. Done!

Script will automatically rename the original "AppleHDA.kext" in S/L/E to "AppleHDA.kext.original" and install any kexts located in the "_For_System" directory and keep track of it. Any kexts removed from "_For_System" directory will also be removed from S/L/E, with the originals restored, after updating the boot cache.

EDIT:

Or,

1. Place AppleHDA.kext inside the Audio directory in the scripts folder
  2. Run script's Kext Installer
  3. type in the number of the AppleHDA.kext and press "Enter"
  4. Script will toggle the install destination from "/Extra" to "/System"
  5. Hit "Enter" to install
  6. Done!

Again, script will keep track of this kext and rename the original. If you want it uninstalled, then you remove it from that Audio folder (put it in "Repository" for example) and run Kext Install again.

If you want to verify any of these actions, just view the Install.log.

Basically, it's like this:

Kext Install will install any kexts in the script's folders and uninstall any kexts missing that were previously installed via script.

If you choose to just manipulate the kexts via drag-n-drop in the Finder, Update Boot Cache will install anything in the "Stored_Kexts" folder, including the "_For_System" directory, if present. Removing any kexts in these folders will have them uninstalled, including S/L/E, if they were previously installed via script.

best of wishes,

MAJ

I've been comparing audio quality using this kext with the sound on my MacBook. Unfortunately they're incomparible; I get subtle noise on my PC which is really annoying. Any clue as to why it does that? Badly written/modified kexts I suppose.

I've been comparing audio quality using this kext with the sound on my MacBook. Unfortunately they're incomparible; I get subtle noise on my PC which is really annoying. Any clue as to why it does that? Badly written/modified kexts I suppose.

I get noise too when using the front headphone output. It's the same noise with multiple techniques. The line out on seems to work well without the noise though.

Ryan

I get noise too when using the front headphone output. It's the same noise with multiple techniques. The line out on seems to work well without the noise though.

Ryan

I get no sound at all when using Line Out - Built-in Line Output. This is really baffling.

Is it possible I would have more luck finding a ALC888 codec dump (ICH10) and using AppleHDAPatcher? I found a variety of dumps here http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/realtek/ but I have no idea which of those belong to a specific chipset version. Any advice on that?

Oh no!

Kernel Panic at startup after installing Chameleon RC2!

Guess I needed some excitement, so i installed the Chameleon RC2.pkg and now...

Does it help If I just re-run the ”X58 Mobo Patch Installer” script or what did the Chameleon install change?

”Don't fix it if it ain't broken” definitely applies this time... :thumbsup_anim:

Hi :thumbsup_anim: not really a question related to this motherboard but i ask it anyway xD

I have a HD 4870, works perfectly on this install :(. Now, i want to buy a new monitor, but it only has VGA. Can there be problems when I use a DVI to VGA adaptar on this graphics card?

Oh no!

Kernel Panic at startup after installing Chameleon RC2!

Guess I needed some excitement, so i installed the Chameleon RC2.pkg and now...

Does it help If I just re-run the ”X58 Mobo Patch Installer” script or what did the Chameleon install change?

”Don't fix it if it ain't broken” definitely applies this time... :)

That's odd. There are a lot of under-the-hood changes, but the only file that changes from RC1 to RC2 is the boot file that's installed at root. You're safe reinstalling RC1 bootloader from the script, however.

I didn't have any issues with RC2, but can't use it for SL, as it just KPs every time. I've had better success with PC-EFI v10 in SL.

MAJ

I didn't have any issues with RC2, but can't use it for SL, as it just KPs every time. I've had better success with PC-EFI v10 in SL.

MAJ

What kext are you using for on board network?

Is it the R1000.kext to which your referred in a previous post?

BTW ... 64 bit SL but sound and internet not working ... yet.

Thanks

The way you are describing your system is that it is failing to POST sometimes. This would be a hardware issue. Is it overclocked? Are your RAM settings correct? Are you able to boot any other OSes consistently? Unless you're talking about the "waiting for root device" error when the BIOS cannot find a bootable file, whatever software you have installed is not going to make any difference until this issue gets resolved.

You may need to change out your RAM, or pull all out except one to get to the culprit (if it's RAM).

Additionally, using the distro as a "Retail DVD" is suspect. I can't guarantee the results as I don't know what's on or not on that disc.

I am quite sure that the Hardware is 100% OK, as it runs fine Windows7. However, I read somewhere on the internet, that there is a bug in Gigabyte BIOS, which leads to system crash if one tries to overclock G.Skill Trident 2000 Ram (of which I have 6GB). I only run stock clocks at this time. Maybe this bug causes the boot issues too, maybe I'll try some beta BIOS with bugfix.

The funny thing about it is that it does matter what is on the harddrive, as I can fix this bootup issue by reinstalling the bootloader. However, this is not the problem that really bothers me, cause this problem only occurs with USB HDD (I even tried a different case - same issues) and I only want to use it for the final installation. The real problem is, that I can't get past mDNSResponder - Issue... still no clue what I could do.

Another thought is that the current OSX install on my laptop could cause this errors. I'll try to install 10.5.7 again without your patcher, just in case my laptop messes anything up with it.

Thanks for support and development! I'm sure I'll have more questions :(

This is probably a noob question X_X but I will ask it anyways. Your tutorial seems specific to gigabyte brand x58 mobo. I came across a barebones kit at tigerdirect.com with a EVGA X85 SLI LE mobo in it. The bundle looks like a great deal. But be for I shell out the cash for i want to be certain I can get OSX on it.

Here is the link:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=B69-1099

Will this tutorial work with this MOBO. I am hoping so since it is the same chipset. If it doesn't is it possible to get OSX on it?

This is probably a noob question X_X but I will ask it anyways. Your tutorial seems specific to gigabyte brand x58 mobo. I came across a barebones kit at tigerdirect.com with a EVGA X85 SLI LE mobo in it. The bundle looks like a great deal. But be for I shell out the cash for i want to be certain I can get OSX on it.

Here is the link:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=B69-1099

Will this tutorial work with this MOBO. I am hoping so since it is the same chipset. If it doesn't is it possible to get OSX on it?

Lots of forum users are using this board. Very nice setup. The only sore spot is sound and many just use a USB dongle for audio.

Of course, you won't get SLI in OS X, as you probably would know.

MAJ

That's odd. There are a lot of under-the-hood changes, but the only file that changes from RC1 to RC2 is the boot file that's installed at root. You're safe reinstalling RC1 bootloader from the script, however.

MAJ

OK, thanks for info.

I was thinking... maybe I should have told it to install it into the ”Extra” folder? Now I just installed it straight onto the startud disk (I think, at least I used the default install destnation).

Hy everybody.

Please tell me which version do i have to install on my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 ? I7 920 ,as well.

I read about Kalyway 10.5.2 ? Is that corect ?

Just tell me the version please,and i'll find out,and for further questions,i'll search in the forum and google it.

Thanks in advance !!!