[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I tired re-installing and then only using the 10.5.6 combo update, but it would just crash and reboot, then I booted into the maintenance drive and rant the 10.5.7 combo update and its fine, but still have QE/CI problem.

I was hoping that it Qe/Ci would work in 10.5.6. I just cant under stand why it would work fine in kalyway, but not retail.

I may just end up having to get a new GPU. What would be the best one to get for 10.5.7 on the ud5 retail install? It doesn't need to be fancy, just something I know would work.

Thanks again for this guide - I have a screaming fast Mac now, actually running off my 3Ware 9650SE raid controller, GTX 285. Really, really fast OSX!

Has anyone dual boot Win 7 and OSX on the same drive? I am a little unclear how exactly to do it. I know I need to install Win 7 first, and THEN OSX but my MBR gets trashed and I can't boot into anything.

Any hints?

Thanks!

I tired re-installing and then only using the 10.5.6 combo update, but it would just crash and reboot, then I booted into the maintenance drive and rant the 10.5.7 combo update and its fine, but still have QE/CI problem.

I was hoping that it Qe/Ci would work in 10.5.6. I just cant under stand why it would work fine in kalyway, but not retail.

I may just end up having to get a new GPU. What would be the best one to get for 10.5.7 on the ud5 retail install? It doesn't need to be fancy, just something I know would work.

I have the following cards working on 10.5.7 (all with QE):

ATI HD 2600 - Natit.kext + modified RadeonX2000 kext (added device ID)

NVidia 8400GT - EFI string - P45 board

Nvidia 9400GT - EFI string - P45 board

Nvidia 9500GT - EFI string - X58 UD3R board

The Natit kext is in S/L/E, all the EFI strings are in the boot.plist in the EFI boot partition

If your overclocking then the UD5 is perhaps better than the Asus board. It certainly isn't any worse off. The Core i7 920 processors are incredibly overclockable so alot of people do overclock.

There are no guarantees when it comes to using a hackintosh. Things will largely depend on what hardware you end up using but it's also very possible for things to change a bit when it comes to snow leopard. Everything generally works like a normal mac for me except that I can't shutdown normally or use sleep. There isn't a current fix for that for the hardware that I'm using although with alot of other hardware this is completely workable.

You can run Win7 just fine with Dualboot. It might be a bit harder to setup unless you run it from a separate hard drive instead of on a partition but hard drives are cheap anyway.

The OS won't limit you being able to harvest the full power but what you do with your machine might. These machines overclock very well if you use a non-standard air cooler. When overclocked they are incredibly powerful. The only thing I use my full power for on my mac side is x264 video encoding for EyeTV recordings. That's it nothing else comes close.

Thanks for answering=) Are you using the Gigabyte board? I guess i will pick hardware so that the install of OSX will be as easy as possible. And so far it seems the gigabyte one is the one with most development around, so it will most probably be that. Sleep mode and such is not something i use at all, since when im not usign the computer, its folding@home. 

When it come to OC im using water to cool it, so it should not be a problem to push it up a few levels. 

You mention Snow Leopard. From what i have read its mostly a improvement of Leopard, and not so much a new os like the other updates have been. But non the less i see your point. Since my current system is doing OK for now i will probably wait untill Snow Leopard ships, and maybe for the next gen of i7 to be lauched.

But again, thank you for answering, i got wiser from your post, and im defo going for osx compatability when upgrading next time!

Also, how do OSX like SSDs and large amounts of RAM? Thinking 2x60gb SSDs in raid paired with 12 or 24 gigs of ram?

I'm afraid I've had to install iATKOS v7 as I couldn't get the retail version working.

I am glad to report however that this iATKOS install is working FLAWLESSLY!

I had to do a small Time-Machine fix but all is well (so far so good at least!)

Thanks for all your help guys ;)

-Rich-

Hey digital_dreamer ;)

Here's the top part of that kernel panic, the top 3 lines don't look very promising...

-Rich-

I couldn't see the screenpost on the forum, but searched the HTML source for the URL and got it.

I didn't see anything wrong with the screenshot. There are going to be dependency issues, because of kexts loading in the /Extra directory that don't contain the supporting kexts/plugins. That's normal. Nothing else, including the JMicron log, looks out of place.

Sorry that wasn't working out for you.

regard,

MAJ

If your overclocking then the UD5 is perhaps better than the Asus board. It certainly isn't any worse off. The Core i7 920 processors are incredibly overclockable so alot of people do overclock.

There are no guarantees when it comes to using a hackintosh. Things will largely depend on what hardware you end up using but it's also very possible for things to change a bit when it comes to snow leopard. Everything generally works like a normal mac for me except that I can't shutdown normally or use sleep. There isn't a current fix for that for the hardware that I'm using although with alot of other hardware this is completely workable.

You can run Win7 just fine with Dualboot. It might be a bit harder to setup unless you run it from a separate hard drive instead of on a partition but hard drives are cheap anyway.

The OS won't limit you being able to harvest the full power but what you do with your machine might. These machines overclock very well if you use a non-standard air cooler. When overclocked they are incredibly powerful. The only thing I use my full power for on my mac side is x264 video encoding for EyeTV recordings. That's it nothing else comes close.

I see you have RAID set up. I understand a little on what RAID 0 is. BUt can someone explain the benefit of doing RAID. Also can someone please help me set it up. I right now have a fully working OS X on:

~x58-UD5 with core i7 920

~6GB OCZ DDR3 RAM

~MSI ATI 4890

~Alot of HD's.

Can someone give me a quick guid on how I would set this up. Like I said, I already have a fully working OSX on a 1 TB hard drive. So from here how would I go about doing this?

Also, what is the difference between the GSATA ports and the SATA ports on the MoBo? All i know is that I have sleep when plugged into SATA, and no sleep when plugged into GSATA.

THANKS!!

Digital Dreamer,

Any clue why my 10.57 will only boot with 1 core active? Turn on more than one or HT and the system reboots right as it is starting to load.

Win XP loads fine with 4 cores. I had Leo4all 10.52 working with all cores.

FYI the UD4 has bios 8 .. should I downgrade the bios to 7?

Digital Dreamer,

Any clue why my 10.57 will only boot with 1 core active? Turn on more than one or HT and the system reboots right as it is starting to load.

Win XP loads fine with 4 cores. I had Leo4all 10.52 working with all cores.

FYI the UD4 has bios 8 .. should I downgrade the bios to 7?

I would suspect your DSDT patch.

How was it created? On the system in use or another one?

regards,

MAJ

Is anyone one else having issues with windows keeping accurate time since chameleon? I notice whenever I restart my PC, the time goes a few hours ahead, so I have to manually set it to sync with windows server again. Weird...

Hey digital_dreamer :)

Here's the top part of that kernel panic, the top 3 lines don't look very promising...

-Rich-

richardsim7,

Would you delete that screenshot from your post, please?

It's way too large for our forum and is messing up the formatting.

Resizing it to something 8-inches wide by 72-dpi would be fine.

Thanks!

regards,

MAJ

Is annoying one else having issues with windows keeping accurate time since chameleon? I notice whenever I restart my PC, the time goes a few hours ahead, so I have to manually set it to sync with windows server again. Weird...

I have the same problem using Windows 7 but I think the error is due to Windows or Mac OS X but not Chameleon.

I had this problem using wolfienuke script also.

Is annoying one else having issues with windows keeping accurate time since chameleon? I notice whenever I restart my PC, the time goes a few hours ahead, so I have to manually set it to sync with windows server again. Weird...

The clock problem is caused by a difference in the way Mac and Windows set time. You will see it whenever you switch from Mac to Windows on the same machine. Essentially, Mac sets the system clock to Universal time when it starts and does not reset when it shuts down. Windows only looks at the system clock and goes from there - therefore you will see a time shift, the number of hours will depend on whether you use 12 or 24 hour time and/or your local time zone. I saw somewhere on the forum that someone had created a routine, loaded through Terminal on the Mac, that corrected this problem, good luck with a search!

I have seen it on the six Intel Macs I have built (four different MBs).

I'm afraid I've had to install iATKOS v7 as I couldn't get the retail version working.

Iatkos 7=Retail

The new distributions are based on chameleon 2 and are designed to be as retail as possible to avoid people having to reinstall because software update broke.

The clock problem is caused by a difference in the way Mac and Windows set time. You will see it whenever you switch from Mac to Windows on the same machine. Essentially, Mac sets the system clock to Universal time when it starts and does not reset when it shuts down. Windows only looks at the system clock and goes from there - therefore you will see a time shift, the number of hours will depend on whether you use 12 or 24 hour time and/or your local time zone. I saw somewhere on the forum that someone had created a routine, loaded through Terminal on the Mac, that corrected this problem, good luck with a search!

I see. Thanks for the info! I'll look into that.

Thanks for answering=) Are you using the Gigabyte board? I guess i will pick hardware so that the install of OSX will be as easy as possible.

Yes I'm using the Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5. All my components are listed in my signature if your interested in anything else that I'm using.

When it come to OC im using water to cool it, so it should not be a problem to push it up a few levels.

Unless you've already got the water cooling I wouldn't bother getting it. These processors can be pushed to their limits on air cooling. I'm running at 3.8GHz (BCLK of 181) and I can easily go higher but I like the really quiet noise level I have at this setting. You might get things a little quieter or slightly higher clocked with a water coolling system but is that extra expense really worth the small performance increase that you might not even use.

You mention Snow Leopard. From what i have read its mostly a improvement of Leopard, and not so much a new os like the other updates have been.

Snow Leopard is focused on how the OS interacts with the hardware so there's probably going to be alot of important changes. In saying that there are that many people working on this board with these CPU that I'm quite sure people will figure out how to get it running perfectly. That might not happen immediately but I don't think it will take very long.

Since my current system is doing OK for now i will probably wait untill Snow Leopard ships, and maybe for the next gen of i7 to be lauched.

It's probably not necessary to wait until Snow Leopard unless you want to be really super sure every component will work. If there are any issues upgrading to SL I think they will be related to something a bit more minor like graphics card or wireless card or any other addon cards. From what I've read on xbitlabs the next gen i7 may end up costing significantly more for a relatively small performance increase while the older ones will be phased out. We've already had the major architectural upgrade with the introduction of i7.

But again, thank you for answering, i got wiser from your post, and im defo going for osx compatability when upgrading next time!

Glad your learning and also appreciating it at the same time. Also glad I'm able to help in some way.

Also, how do OSX like SSDs and large amounts of RAM? Thinking 2x60gb SSDs in raid paired with 12 or 24 gigs of ram?

I don't think there would be any problem with SSDs after all they are just another hard drive but I don't think they are worth it at the moment unless you need an incredibly powerful laptop. They are really quite expensive for the additional performace you get. I'd certainly suggest good quality hard drives though (esp if you want to RAID 0). The 640GB WD Caviar Black rate top in their class from what I've seen on xbitlabs and they have a really good reputation for performance.

Large amounts of RAM work fine. I'm running 3x 2GB chips giving a total of 6GB. I read somewhere that things will run a bit slower if you use all 6 ports instead of just 3 but don't know how much so you may want to look into that yourself. Since you plan on overclocking I'd suggest getting 1600MHz speed which will allow you to set your BCLK up to 200 without having to overclock your RAM. I'd definitely suggest reading the overclock guide for Core i7 920 processors and the Ex58-UD5 review on xbit labs to get some more understanding of things relating to the overclock.

If you want to run a hardware raid you will either need to purchase a controller or run the RAID HDs from the GSATA/JMicron ports until a RAID driver for OSX ICH10 comes out (if it ever does). As I've said using the GSATA/JMicron currently results in an inability to send the computer to sleep on the OS X side only. There may or may not be a fix for that in the future.

I see you have RAID set up. I understand a little on what RAID 0 is. BUt can someone explain the benefit of doing RAID. Also can someone please help me set it up. I right now have a fully working OS X on:

RAID 0 basically writes part of the info onto each disc in the array so that the speed limit of the HDs doesn't bottleneck your read or write performance. You'll notice the performance gain most on things like loading times for games, copying files and editing media. With decent drives you get slightly less than 2x performance for read/write using 2 drives and slightly less than 4x for 4 drives and so on however since you only have part of your information stored on each drive if just one of your drives in the RAID 0 array fails mechanically then you have to either fix the mechanical failure or you lose all your data on the RAID 0 array.

Can someone give me a quick guid on how I would set this up. Like I said, I already have a fully working OSX on a 1 TB hard drive. So from here how would I go about doing this?

You should basically be able to follow the script and it should be pretty straight forward the only additional step you'll probably have to do is run QE_CI_Exotic_Cards.pkg from netkas.org to get QE_CI working. I wouldn't recommend running RAID 0 from a bunch of cheap hard drives unless you run a constant backup system and don't mind having to restore everything in the event of a failure or if you only store inconsequential data on the RAID 0 such as games.

Also, what is the difference between the GSATA ports and the SATA ports on the MoBo? All i know is that I have sleep when plugged into SATA, and no sleep when plugged into GSATA.

THANKS!!

They use a different SATA controller GSATA is JMicron and SATA is ICH10. I'm not aware of a sleep fix for using the JMicron in OSX and it's currently not possible to run a hardware RAID from the ICH10.

For everyone else the the Win7 clock problem:

I also experience this problem and Win7 doesn't seem to want to automatically sync to the online time server after bootup so I have to do that manually each time. My Mac side syncs its-self fine every time.

Has anyone dual boot Win 7 and OSX on the same drive? I am a little unclear how exactly to do it. I know I need to install Win 7 first, and THEN OSX but my MBR gets trashed and I can't boot into anything.

Any hints?

Thanks!

yes it's possible.

here is my way:

format the first partition as FAT

install mac os x on the 2nd partition

install a ntfs driver that can write (paragon ntfs as test version) to a ntfs partition

reformat the fat to ntfs

start windows installation and delete the previous ntfs partition and recreate it (it's weird but you must do it)

byy the way: you have to play also with the active partition... but that's too much hints for the first help :-)

Could not find anything in the guide about it, but is it possible to get this runing with SLi?

And one last thing, in the image at the start of the guide where you are crushing prime:

The temp sensors show 8 cores, tho only 4 different temperatures, CPUX show 4 cores and 16 threads.

The CPU have 4 cores and 8 threads. And ima bit confused:D

Installing the Apple Boot Camp drivers on your Windows drive/partition will solve the clock problem. If you can't burn a driver CD from your Hackintosh, you can try downloading one from the internet. A few people have extracted the image and made it available...

Colddiver