[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Wow, I am getting SLOW drive performance!!! I'm plugged into the blue sata connections with three drives.

Results 6.03

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.7 (9J61)

Physical RAM 6144 MB

Model MacPro4,1

Drive Type ST3500630AS

Disk Test 6.03

Sequential 5.07

Uncached Write 53.79 33.03 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 12.75 7.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 1.83 0.54 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 6.80 3.42 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 7.45

Uncached Write 3.77 0.40 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 13.97 4.47 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 7.35 0.05 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 15.65 2.90 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Anyone else seeing this?

question about video cards.

"

• My installer/patcher does not come with graphics card drivers. The included injectors (Natit.kext, NVinject.kext, and NVkush.kext) can only extract the graphics card hardware info for the OS to use, and they can take the place of EFI strings. So, if you have a graphics card that is not currently supported in the vanilla OS X install, you are still responsible for installing those drivers, as well as EFI strings, if you choose not to use the injectors."

What exactly is it that I'm supposed to do? Am I supposed to download the official nvidia drivers? Am I supposed to use the netkas injector? Sorry I'm a total nub. Thanks for all the help so far.

dc7ks,

There's a forum for that. Check it out. :)

Download: X58 Mobo Patch Installer v4 BETA

Snow Leopard ready.

INCLUDES:

• Various SL-compatible kexts, most in x86_64. All SL kexts are in the PURPLE label, including those in repository.
  • PC-EFI v10 bootloader for SL compatibility.
  • Chameleon v2.0 RC2 r638 bootloader (just released today).

FEATURES:

• At-a-glance view of kexts' architecture: i386, x86_64, or N/A (in the case of legacy or fake kexts).
  • Intelligent boot cache builds: builds boot caches based on which OS is currently running:
    • If in Leo, will install SL kexts in S/L/E by default. Warns if you attempt to install x86_64 kexts to /Extra, as Leo cannot build x86_64-based caches.
    • When in SL, will build a composite boot cache based on S/L/E and /Extra.

[*]EFI strings selection for 154 various graphics cards. (Available in Modify plists routine.)

[*]Time Machine Restore from Backup. Requires Retail DVD. Also restores missing directories (postfix and apache2) after a TM restore (TM bug).

[*]Create Pre-boot CD/ISO. Installs bootloader and selected kexts to create boot CD. Technical limitations still present.

Minor, but noteworthy changes:

• Bootloader install now copies boot.plist and smbios.plist to /Extra. This is no longer done by Kext Installer. This should make it much easier for those with multi-partition installs that require different boot.plists. Given that you can modify plists in any location, it's no longer necessary to continually copy the script's plist over on each Kext install.
  • DSDT: Implemented CMOS reset and KP fix in DSDT patch for SL.
  • DSDT: Patcher will "force" recompile if first attempt is unsuccessful.
  • Processor Info: Fixed space bug for volumes with spaces in name.
  • Mac Model Name: Location of model names file is different in SL. Script accommodates both OSes.

BASICS FOR SL BOOT:

1. Install PC-EFI v10 bootloader on SL partition. (This is based on Cham2 RC1 and is the only recent bootloader compatible with SL.)
  2. Install x86_64 kexts into S/L/E (Script will set this up automatically)
  3. (Note: There are some i386 kexts that cannot run in /Extra, so need to be installed in S/L/E, too.)
  4. Boot into SL, run script and toggle x86_64 kexts to /Extra.
  5. Reboot with -v -x32 flags. (If you want to boot in x64, that is enabled by default, I believe, or you can use -x64 to be sure.)

DETAILS:

These are the kexts that need to be in S/L/E when installing from Leo:

• dsmos.kext (x86_64 version. Works in 32-bit. Included AppleDecrypt.kext works better in 64-bit, but doesn't work in 32-bit mode.)
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (x86_64 version)
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (x86_64 version of IntelCPUPowerManagement)
  • PlatformUUID.kext (x86_64 version)
  • RealtekR1000.kext (x86_64 version of LAN driver)
  • AppleHDA.kext (i386)
  • HDAEnabler.kext (i386)
    Other audio options are available: VoodooHDA and a legacy set, but they all only work in 64-bit
  • ATY_Init.kext (i386) - if needed.

1. Boot into SL. (Use your BIOS drive selector to select the correct SL partition. Do not attempt to boot into SL using the bootloader on another partition!!)
  2. When in SL, immediately run script and toggle the following to /Extra:
    • dsmos.kext
    • OpenHaltRestart.kext
    • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
    • PlatformUUID.kext

[*](The rest should stay in S/L/E)

[*]Install to rebuild caches - this will take a little while.

[*]Now reboot.

FYI:

Note: if you don't rebuild caches and reboot immediately, you will experience various KPs. Depending on the version of SL you are running, you may need to completely disable Spotlight by moving all drives to the Privacy window. (If you get a "mdworker" KP, that's spotlight and that's a sign you need to disable it.)

If you run a card like mine, a ATI 2600 XT, you will have to delete the ATIRadeonX2000.kext in S/L/E or you will experience graphics corruption and not see the desktop.

Since I don't have QE in SL with my card, I can't take screenshots in SL.

Beginning the SL install in Leo: (This is just an example)

SL_setup.gif

best of wishes,

MAJ

Wow, a lot of new stuff to test :unsure:

I tried Snow Leopard and was able to boot into it successfully. -x32 did not work, that just froze. Funnily enough I saw a message during boot saying 64bit mode only when i used the -x32 flag :S

However, I can't get networking to work, it's trying to load it during startup (lots of messages). But nothing works as soon as I'm in SL. Also the network ports completely stop working in any OS (Leopard, Windows7) afterwards until I shut the computer down.

EDIT: More thoughts further down. This was just the first installation.

Yeah I really appreciate all this work on SL. Probably going to make alot of people's upgrades a hell of a lot easier and faster when the finished version comes out.

For people interested I picked up a Netgear WG111v3 USB wireless adapter and it works just fine with my machine. You can actually download a Mac driver from them now. I did have to remove my IONetworkingFamily kext to get it to work but it's pretty easy to put it back if I need ethernet.

Snow Leopard ready.

Just tried it. Installed without any problems (posting this through SL). I recycled my Leopard EFI string for my graphic card and everything seems to work all right (no audio however). I also had to manually edit my DSDT to fix the CMOS reset issue (didn't find where to do this on your script). I didn't have a single KP yet. Everything look fast and responsive. I ran Software Updates until I had everything up to date and, again, no problems.

Well done!

Colddiver

Just tried it. Installed without any problems (posting this through SL). I recycled my Leopard EFI string for my graphic card and everything seems to work all right (no audio however). I also had to manually edit my DSDT to fix the CMOS reset issue (didn't find where to do this on your script). I didn't have a single KP yet. Everything look fast and responsive. I ran Software Updates until I had everything up to date and, again, no problems.

Well done!

Colddiver

no problems with networking? Are you running it in 32 or 64bit mode?

I'm using the Apple USB Ethernet adapter and it worked without any problems. I didn't try the onboard LAN.

I just upgraded to SL 10A421 and the system will no longer boot. Netkas.org has a fix for this (it is a known issue). Ahh well. It was great while it lasted! :P

Will try to fix this later...

Colddiver

I forgot to answer your question about 32 or 64 bit. I didn't specify any boot flags in com.apple.boot.plist so whatever the default is is what I was using (suspect 64 bit).

Colddiver

OK, I just did a reinstall. Some more observations.

I also had to manually edit my DSDT to fix the CMOS reset issue (didn't find where to do this on your script)

Yep, I did it manually too, couldn't find anything in the DSDT Patcher directory that would do it for me.

running in 64bit mode (ie. no -x32 or -x64 flags) I had no luck getting the networking or sound working. In 32bit (-x32) I got them both working. Will fiddle with it a bit more.

However, I can't get networking to work, it's trying to load it during startup (lots of messages). But nothing works as soon as I'm in SL. Also the network ports completely stop working in any OS (Leopard, Windows7) afterwards until I shut the computer down.[/s]

You likely need to clear the CMOS to get your Ethernet back.

<SNIP> I also had to manually edit my DSDT to fix the CMOS reset issue (didn't find where to do this on your script).

<SNIP>

This is done automatically when you run the DSDT patch. The DSDT log will show the results.

I may need to display the various fixes occurring when the patch is running.

regards,

MAJ

You likely need to clear the CMOS to get your Ethernet back.

Removing the power cord until the LEDs are all off was enough. But running in 32bit mode for the moment, networking is working fine with the 32bit kexts.

This is done automatically when you run the DSDT patch. The DSDT log will show the results.

That's strange. I was definitely having the cmos reset issue until I manually edited the DSDT that was generated by your script.

Snow Leopard ready.

I'm not running snow leopard. Can I run steps 2 and 3 by themselves on a working drive in order to update Chameleon from RC1 to RC2 or is that not a good idea? Will my existing kexts and plists from DD v3.7 continue to work or will some of them need updates and/or modifications. The reason I'm interested in RC2 is that it supposedly fixes the firewire security mode (slow bandwidth) bug. Can anyone verify this? While I'm on the topic, is there a Chameleon RC2 change log?

Thank you.

I just upgraded to SL 10A421 and the system will no longer boot. Netkas.org has a fix for this (it is a known issue). Ahh well. It was great while it lasted! :rolleyes:

I fixed my KP with the files provided by netkas. More detailed instructions on this thread. Everything is back to normal (still no audio through the motherboard but I have a USB headset so I can live with that for now).

Colddiver

<SNIP>

That's strange. I was definitely having the cmos reset issue until I manually edited the DSDT that was generated by your script.

That's strange, too. ;)

If this isn't working for anyone else, please provide me the DSDT log, so I can see what's up.

I'm not running snow leopard. Can I run steps 2 and 3 by themselves on a working drive in order to update Chameleon from RC1 to RC2 or is that not a good idea? Will my existing kexts and plists from DD v3.7 continue to work or will some of them need updates and/or modifications. The reason I'm interested in RC2 is that it supposedly fixes the firewire security mode (slow bandwidth) bug. Can anyone verify this? While I'm on the topic, is there a Chameleon RC2 change log?

Thank you.

Yes, that would work just fine to update from RC1 to RC2.

Just don't run the Kext Installer. LOL!

I haven't seen a update log, yet, and haven't verified if there's a revert to full-secure message in log for Firewire. Still using PC-EFI v10 for SL, as Cham2 RC2 doesn't work for it.

regards,

MAJ

I fixed my KP with the files provided by netkas. More detailed instructions on this thread. Everything is back to normal (still no audio through the motherboard but I have a USB headset so I can live with that for now).

Colddiver

Same here. Works fine.

Motherboard audio works for me while running in 32bit with the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler.kexts (in S/L/E)

Yes, that would work just fine to update from RC1 to RC2.

Just don't run the Kext Installer. LOL!

Here's a quick report on Chameleon 2 RC2. Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am not an expert.

1) I used the latest DD beta script steps 2 and 3 to update my backup drive's bootloader from RC1 to RC2.

2) I got rid of UUID.kext and updated my boot cache.

3) I removed my graphics string and added <key>GraphicsEnabler</key><string>Yes</string> to my boot.plist

The good news first. You don't need UUID.kext anymore. SMUUID in smbiost.plist takes care of that for you.

And now the bad news. GraphicsEnabler did not work. I took it out and reverted to the hex string. Firewire security mode is still broken. That may not be entirely true since I did not install any additional kexts. Hopefully someone knows how to fix this.

In conclusion: for the meanwhile I will stick with my RC1 install. Thanks again to all the contributors especially MAJ. I am looking forward to a lively discussion about RC2.

Might be safer to paste the hex code in the EFI_strings.txt file in Plists just to be sure that no characters are cut off. Then import from script. The code post is from two separate pastes, right? :-)

During yesterday's thunderstorm, I learned that I had the wrong computer plugged into the UPS... As long as everything had forcibly shut down, it was time to try fixing my EFI string again. I noticed a message about "Error parsing plist" that would flash by during boot. It turns out that since I have 2 bootable drives on this computer, the one it was choosing to boot from first (do I change this in the BIOS?) must have had some plist issue, but I replaced it and the error went away. In the course of debugging this I made sure to have the -v flag (I don't think I need the busratio=20 with my vanilla kernel, though About This Mac still shows me at 3.2Ghz and I'm actually at 2.66). So, the verbose boot led me to notice that I was still getting messages from NVInject. Which are also visible in the console log. Then I ran these commands in the terminal to rid myself of NVInject.

$ sudo rm -fr /System/Library/Extensions/NVInject.kext
$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

The second is required to stimulate a rebuild of the boot cache. Rebooted and now QE works! What I suspect happened was, QE worked, then when I ran Migration Assistant, it stopped working. I suspect Migration Assistant copied over /System/Library/Extensions/NVInject.kext Now in general, many people are lucky and ATY_Init works for them. Some people probably use NVinject too. But with several recent nVidia cards like my 9600GT, you want to use an EFI string, and when you do, you don't want NVinject or ATYinit gumming up your OS.

Thanks everyone. And it would be great if someone, anyone, would make any edit to our wiki so I don't feel so lonely there. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...obo%2C_Scripted

I just had help solving this problem in another thread and thought I'd share here. I hadn't been able to get my Mbox2 Pro (firewire) working, so someone suggested that I delete the AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E and by golly, it worked.

I have a couple of questions for you smarties.

1. what does AppleHPET.kext do and will I be missing any functionality by not removing it?

2. is it possible to disable this kext without removing it from S/L/E? I'd like to keep all system changes to /Extra if possible to keep the system update-proof.

Thanks everyone!

Ryan

I just had help solving this problem in another thread and thought I'd share here. I hadn't been able to get my Mbox2 Pro (firewire) working, so someone suggested that I delete the AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E and by golly, it worked.

I have a couple of questions for you smarties.

1. what does AppleHPET.kext do and will I be missing any functionality by not removing it?

2. is it possible to disable this kext without removing it from S/L/E? I'd like to keep all system changes to /Extra if possible to keep the system update-proof.

Thanks everyone!

Ryan

High Precision Event Timer. Don't really know what else uses this timer. But, Apple was probably using it to manage Firewire latency and splitting up its workload.

Try this Disabler.kext. It includes the HPET blacklist.

regards,

MAJ

Hey guys. This might be a bit of a tricky one to answer but I don't think there's really anywhere else to ask.

I just updated my bios to the beta version on tweaktown, F8f.

Everything works well except my Apple USB keyboard no longer works during the chameleon boot selector. It works fine for getting to the bios configuration screen and fine after an OS boots but doesn't seem to work inbetween those stages.

Hey guys. This might be a bit of a tricky one to answer but I don't think there's really anywhere else to ask.

I just updated my bios to the beta version on tweaktown, F8f.

Everything works well except my Apple USB keyboard no longer works during the chameleon boot selector. It works fine for getting to the bios configuration screen and fine after an OS boots but doesn't seem to work inbetween those stages.

Although I'm still on F8e: Did you load the optimal settings and then set everything back to dd's ones?

I once had the same problem, that my USB keyboard didn't work, and I found that USB keyboard/mouse legacy had been disabled. After I enabled them, everything worked again.

The settings did get reset when I updated the bios and I did try turning USB keyboard/mouse legacy back to enabled but it didn't seem to fix the problem. I didn't try loading optimal settings though.

I didn't know DD had specific settings. Although I know AHCI needs to be turned on but that's a separate issue.