[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Newbie here, please be gentle :)

I have 10.5.7 running without issue on the GA-Ex58UD5. Network and sound are working just fine thanks to the fine instructions on page one of this thread.

My video is also working, however it's not taking advantage of the hardware. I have a 9600GT with 1gig, but Quartz Extreme is not enabled and Core Image shows as software.

I currently have my model identifier set as MacPro4,1 (since I have a Core I7). I thought that the 9600GT should be supported by the native drivers. Is there a quick and easy way to enable the hardware acceleration?

Thanks for any advice, and definite thanks for putting together this guide - it made my OS X adventure simple as could be!

Everyone here started out a newbie. :) Your card is very similar to mine.

Please see my post on page 96 (#1908) of this guide or go to:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1189197

Welcome aboard.

I have found someone to by my 7600GT that works, but didnt have QE/Ci working on retail 10.5.7

what $50 or less card would work well with the ud5 board retail 10.5.7 install? (out of the box perferably, or easy kext install)

thanks, I would like to order one tonight.

I have found someone to by my 7600GT that works, but didnt have QE/Ci working on retail 10.5.7

what $50 or less card would work well with the ud5 board retail 10.5.7 install? (out of the box perferably, or easy kext install)

thanks, I would like to order one tonight.

You didn't specify the number and type of ports so I'll give you a few choice.

$48 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187035

$53 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500062

$60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121320

All 3 cards are 512 mb of VRAM. The first two have 32 processor cores, 128-bit DDR2, and draw power from the PCIe bus.

The third card has 48 cores, 256-bit DDR3, and requires power from your PSU. All cards support dual display but only the second one has dual DVI connectors.

And finally, this is a really nice card for $65 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130485

Sorry, I'm not very good sticking with budgets.

How would this one work for an even$50?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130502

I just found this for $60, would it work? but how well compared to the 4th one you said?

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC768PNY96GS0WB

EDIT:

I actually just found a coupon code for the first one I just listed here 9400GT 1GB for 10 off, so total would be $40 with free shipping. can someone tell me if this card is compatible?

How would this one work for an even$50?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130502

I just found this for $60, would it work? but how well compared to the 4th one you said?

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC768PNY96GS0WB

EDIT:

I actually just found a coupon code for the first one I just listed here 9400GT 1GB for 10 off, so total would be $40 with free shipping. can someone tell me if this card is compatible?

All of the 9000 series nVidia cards will work with an easy to make EFI string. It sounds like you don't really need much in terms of video performance which is somewhat odd considering how fast your machine is clocked. Here are the 9xxx cards listed in terms of performance.

9400 GT - 16 cores

9500 GT - 32 cores

9600 GSO - 48 cores

9600 GT - 64 cores

Keep in mind DDR3 is faster than DDR2 and the wider the memory bus the faster the data transfer. Lastly, be sure whatever you card you get, it is PCIe 2.0 compliant. If you are on a budget but want decent performance, you might want to aim for the 9500 GT or better. The 9500 GT is the same as the GT120 that Apple sells with it's new Mac Pro Desktops. The 9600 GSO is equivalent to a GT130 which is a build to order option for the latest iMacs.

EDIT 1: If you don't need the performance the $40 card will work fine.

EDIT 2: The PNY 9600 GSO above is the 96 core version. That's crazy fast. For the money , that's the winner by a long shot.

You didn't specify the number and type of ports so I'll give you a few choice.

$48 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814187035

$53 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500062

$60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121320

All 3 cards are 512 mb of VRAM. The first two have 32 processor cores, 128-bit DDR2, and draw power from the PCIe bus.

The third card has 48 cores, 256-bit DDR3, and requires power from your PSU. All cards support dual display but only the second one has dual DVI connectors.

And finally, this is a really nice card for $65 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130485

Sorry, I'm not very good sticking with budgets.

I just got the Zotac one since it has DVI, HDMI, and Display Port. Keep it Mac oriented. I just needed a simple car since all I will be using it for is Plex. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500112

I only tested DVI but I need to get the native drivers working. I will test the HDMI later.

I'm having a few difficulties getting the GA-EX58-UD3R board working.

After installing using D_D's script (also using the combo updater) when I reboot my computer halts with the error:

mDNSResponder[35]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default bMacPro-000000000000.localb instead

I thought it might be a problem with my LAN so I disabled it in BIOS which didn't help. I also removed the IONetworkingFamily.kext and ATY_Init.kext and updated the boot caches to no avail. I also tried the Realtek R1000.kext and still nothing.

I also have a GTX 260 if that matters at all.

*UPDATE* I think this was caused simply by using the Realtek R1000.kext. I did a fresh install and had to remove ATY_Init.kext to boot and then updated the boot caches with the script. Then everything worked fine.

My way is a little time consuming and meticulous but it gets the job done.

1) Open Disk Utility and select USB stick and make 1 partition HFS Plus extended, format as GUID. Mine is named EFIBOOT.

2) In Finder, select USB stick and hit command-I. Click padlock to authenticate and deselect "Ignore permissions".

3) Eject the USB stick. If you get an error message, restart your computer.

4) Run Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg, select the USB stick as the destination, standard install.

5) Do a little permission repair on the stick. In terminal I start with "sudo chown -R root:admin /Volumes/EFIBOOT" which does the bulk of the work.

drwxrwxr-x  13 root  admin     510 Jul 29 09:24 .
drwxrwxrwt@  4 root  admin     136 Jul 30 16:40 ..
-rw-rw-r--@  1 root  staff    6148 Jul 30 13:00 .DS_Store
drwx------   3 root  staff     102 Jul 29 09:19 .Spotlight-V100
d-wx-wx-wt   3 root  staff     102 Jul 30 16:40 .Trashes
-rw-r--r--   1 root  staff       0 Jul 29 09:19 .com.apple.timemachine.supported
drwx------  40 root  staff    1360 Jul 30 16:40 .fseventsd
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  admin     340 Jul 30 12:49 Extra
drwxrwxr-t   3 root  admin     102 Jul 29 09:24 Library
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel  308288 Jul 29 09:24 boot
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel     170 Jul 25 12:16 usr

6) If you have a working /Extra folder you can drag your contents into the /Extra folder of the USB stick. Otherwise just run DD script (I still use 3.7) being sure to select the USB stick as the target drive. Install Kexts, Patch DSDT. Make sure you have a working smbios.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist. Your stick should look like the picture below.

7) Lastly, go back to the terminal and make sure all your permissions look OK. I can't be specific but use your existing installation as your guide.

8) Go to System Preferences -> Spotlight -> Privacy tab. Drop the boot stick onto that window.

9) When you reboot you will need to drop into the BIOS screen and set the boot order.

That's all I can think of. Good luck.

Hi FUT1L1TY, I tried your method as I wanted to see if chameleon 2 rc2 would work on my system before updating, so I created the USB boot drive following your steps but when I try to boot from it I can only select my original hard drive partition and not the USB stick one, and if I select it I get the message "can't find mach_kernel".

Tried copying the kernel to the USB stick without luck, also adding the UUID of the USB stick partition to boot.plist doesn't make things better.

Any idea anyone?

Thanks in advance

Hey guys, thank you very much for your guide and all the hints provided in this thread. I just switched from an Asus P5N32-E with nForce chipset to the Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5 and everything worked very well for me thanks to digital_dreamer (script and retail guide) and FUT1L1TY (how to use gfx strings).

Now I have just two minor questions. My system is overclocked to 4 GHz, but only 3.2 are shown in CPU-X or GeekBench (I changed the "About this Mac" value with the script), multiplier says 9.5 although it should be 20 I think. The kernels flag "busratio=20" didn't make it work too. Is this just a normal cosmetic error or will it affect the systems performance? Model identification was automatically set to MacPro4,1 by the script.

Another thing, which isn't OS X specific, is that my original white Apple USB keyboard isn't working with the Chameleon bootloader or the boot device selector (F12). This problem neither appears in the BIOS nor in OS X itself. I've already tried to enable/disable the USB keyboard support in the BIOS, nothing worked. My USB mouse is not affected...

Anyone got an idea or the same problem? Maybe I just need to flash the newest BIOS version?

Thanks in advance.

Another thing, which isn't OS X specific, is that my original white Apple USB keyboard isn't working with the Chameleon bootloader or the boot device selector (F12). This problem neither appears in the BIOS nor in OS X itself. I've already tried to enable/disable the USB keyboard support in the BIOS, nothing worked. My USB mouse is not affected...

It's (F8). Then use the arrow keys and then 'Enter'. I have the same keyboard. I have "Quiet Boot"=Yes so if I turn my machine on it's just boots Mac OS. When I need to boot another drive, I hold F8 down right before the bootloader launches.

Hi FUT1L1TY, I tried your method as I wanted to see if chameleon 2 rc2 would work on my system before updating, so I created the USB boot drive following your steps but when I try to boot from it I can only select my original hard drive partition and not the USB stick one, and if I select it I get the message "can't find mach_kernel".

Tried copying the kernel to the USB stick without luck, also adding the UUID of the USB stick partition to boot.plist doesn't make things better.

Any idea anyone?

Are you trying to run Mac OS on your USB stick or are you trying to use the stick to load Mac OS that's on your hard drive? I will assume you are trying to do the latter. Besides, there are plenty of tutorials regarding the former. Anyway, you do not need a kernel on the stick. It should look like the screenshot in my post. The only hidden file is Chameleon 2 RC2 640 "boot" file. I suggest you try the following:

1) Disconnect everything from the usb bus except your keyboard, mouse, and the boot usb stick you are testing. I've had problems booting with certain devices attached. You'd be surprised.

2) Start your machine. Drop into the BIOS screen. Go to Advanced Settings (or something like that, I think it's the third item down). There's a list of buses/devices to boot from. It says like first, second, third. I actually disable all of these. They don't actually seem to do anything. The only setting that matters is the one at the top of that page. It says something like "Device boot priority" and to edit it you have to press enter and go to a new page. Using your arrow keys and "+" and "-" move the boot stick to the top of the list. That's it. Now Save and exit (F10).

Good luck.

<snip>

*UPDATE* I think this was caused simply by using the Realtek R1000.kext. I did a fresh install and had to remove ATY_Init.kext to boot and then updated the boot caches with the script. Then everything worked fine.

What are you using for your LAN, now?

<snip>

Now I have just two minor questions. My system is overclocked to 4 GHz, but only 3.2 are shown in CPU-X or GeekBench (I changed the "About this Mac" value with the script), multiplier says 9.5 although it should be 20 I think. The kernels flag "busratio=20" didn't make it work too. Is this just a normal cosmetic error or will it affect the systems performance? Model identification was automatically set to MacPro4,1 by the script.

The CPU clock reporting can be taken care of by deleting the SMmaximalclock key and string in the smbois.plist in /Extra. This is where it's currently grabbing the numbers. But, remove it and it'll attempt to grab it from the BIOS. The SMexternalclock key and string is the memory bus speed, which is somewhat irrelevant in the Core i7.

All of this is purely cosmetic.

The keyboard issue during the bootloader sounds familiar. Someone else just was talking about this same issue. IIRC, it is related to not loading "Optimized Defaults" after a BIOS update or reset.

best regards,

MAJ

Are you trying to run Mac OS on your USB stick or are you trying to use the stick to load Mac OS that's on your hard drive? I will assume you are trying to do the latter. Besides, there are plenty of tutorials regarding the former. Anyway, you do not need a kernel on the stick. It should look like the screenshot in my post. The only hidden file is Chameleon 2 RC2 640 "boot" file. I suggest you try the following:

1) Disconnect everything from the usb bus except your keyboard, mouse, and the boot usb stick you are testing. I've had problems booting with certain devices attached. You'd be surprised.

2) Start your machine. Drop into the BIOS screen. Go to Advanced Settings (or something like that, I think it's the third item down). There's a list of buses/devices to boot from. It says like first, second, third. I actually disable all of these. They don't actually seem to do anything. The only setting that matters is the one at the top of that page. It says something like "Device boot priority" and to edit it you have to press enter and go to a new page. Using your arrow keys and "+" and "-" move the boot stick to the top of the list. That's it. Now Save and exit (F10).

Good luck.

Hi, it's me again :)

I'm back from rebooting and making the changes you said, but it doesn't work.

When you boot from the USB booteable stick you made, it goes listed at chameleon boot GUI?

Here is the content of my USB stick:

drwxrwxr-x  15 root  wheel     578 Aug  2 16:56 .
drwxrwxrwt@  7 root  admin     238 Aug  2 17:24 ..
-rw-rw-r--@  1 root  wheel    6148 Aug  2 09:44 .DS_Store
drwx------   3 root  wheel     102 Aug  2 09:44 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwt@  3 root  wheel     102 Aug  2 09:51 .TemporaryItems
d-wx-wx-wt   3 root  wheel     102 Aug  2 09:47 .Trashes
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel       0 Aug  2 09:44 .com.apple.timemachine.supported
drwx------  11 root  wheel     374 Aug  2 17:24 .fseventsd
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   46560 Jul 24 19:13 DSDT.aml
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  wheel     238 Aug  2 09:53 Extra
drwxrwxr-t   3 root  wheel     102 Aug  2 09:48 Library
-rw-r--r--@  1 root  wheel  308288 Aug  2 09:48 boot
drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel     170 Jul 25 16:16 usr

And here the contents of com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>boot-uuid</key>
<string>F168FE17-C40D-3016-B621-45F481240E14</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

With or without the UUID from the partition of the USB stick on Boot.plist is the same.

Thanks in advance

Hi, it's me again :)

I'm back from rebooting and making the changes you said, but it doesn't work.

When you boot from the USB booteable stick you made, it goes listed at chameleon boot GUI?

Chameleon does not show my boot stick. It's not supposed to. There is no bootable OS on the stick.

With or without the UUID from the partition of the USB stick on Boot.plist is the same.

I think I figured out the problem. You want to use the UUID of the hard drive not the USB stick in your boot.plist. The stick has already booted. It boots Chameleon. You are trying to boot the Mac OS which is on your hard drive. Try to think of your USB stick as the Mac's firmware and your hard drive as the software. I hope that is helpful.

What are you using for your LAN, now?

The CPU clock reporting can be taken care of by deleting the SMmaximalclock key and string in the smbois.plist in /Extra. This is where it's currently grabbing the numbers. But, remove it and it'll attempt to grab it from the BIOS. The SMexternalclock key and string is the memory bus speed, which is somewhat irrelevant in the Core i7.

All of this is purely cosmetic.

The keyboard issue during the bootloader sounds familiar. Someone else just was talking about this same issue. IIRC, it is related to not loading "Optimized Defaults" after a BIOS update or reset.

best regards,

MAJ

Thank you very much, all clock speeds are now displayed correctly.

bild3j.th.png

The keyboard is still not working even after loading the "Optimized Defaults" setting. I tried using my dad's Apple aluminum keyboard which worked just fine. But thanks for the help anyway. ;)

Chameleon does not show my boot stick. It's not supposed to. There is no bootable OS on the stick.

I think I figured out the problem. You want to use the UUID of the hard drive not the USB stick in your boot.plist. The stick has already booted. It boots Chameleon. You are trying to boot the Mac OS which is on your hard drive. Try to think of your USB stick as the Mac's firmware and your hard drive as the software. I hope that is helpful.

Thanks, I'll put my OS X partition UUID in then. ;)

EDIT: It doesn't work with the UUID of my OS X partition :P

I want to thank DD and the others for this guide. I now have a EX58-UD4P working with a GeForce 285. :)

I have looked through these posts and I can't really find anything relating to the temp of the processor. I really feel that compared to Windows my machine is running hot. I have the 920 and the stock CPU cooler, my machine is not overclocked but at idle the cores are sitting about 50℃ (I am using Temperature Monitor from the link in the first post). In the pic by DD after running Prime for 5 hours your processor is running at about 89℃, mine is doing this after about 30 min of using Handbrake. My system has not crashed do to heat but when I boot back into Windows and use the Gigabyte utility, it shows that at idle the process is running at about 30℃.

What kind of temp reading are other people getting? Is this normal with Mac OSX and the i7 chip?

Once again everyone, thanks for the great guides, they really made doing something like this pretty easy.

Everyone here started out a newbie. :) Your card is very similar to mine.

Please see my post on page 96 (#1908) of this guide or go to:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1189197

Welcome aboard.

Ok, I'm striking out in the search department, or I'm just plain dumb tonight - could be either one! Where do I get OSXTools?

I find references to it everywhere, but can't find where to get it. Even Mr Google failed me tonight...

Thanks for the suggestions on the video card, as soon as I get OSXTools I'll give it a shot.

Ack! It figures, after spending 40 minutes searching and I post that I can't find it, I finally stumble upon it...

Here's hoping this link helps someone else:

OSXTools Info

FUT1L1TY - Thanks for the info. I used the tool, made the string and put it into the file as suggested and now have hardware acceleration again! It's great!

I did take a chance when describing my card's outputs - I use HDMI/DVI for the 2 monitors and the closest was DVI-DVI, which I chose since DVI/HDMI are basically the same with just different pinouts. Seems like the right choice, both monitors are working fine.

A tip for other newbies:

1. Insert the text into the <dict> section of com.apple.boot.plist. This wasn't in FUT1L1TY's instructions so I made a guess based on the other contents of the file.

I want to thank DD and the others for this guide. I now have a EX58-UD4P working with a GeForce 285. :)

I have looked through these posts and I can't really find anything relating to the temp of the processor. I really feel that compared to Windows my machine is running hot. I have the 920 and the stock CPU cooler, my machine is not overclocked but at idle the cores are sitting about 50℃ (I am using Temperature Monitor from the link in the first post). In the pic by DD after running Prime for 5 hours your processor is running at about 89℃, mine is doing this after about 30 min of using Handbrake. My system has not crashed do to heat but when I boot back into Windows and use the Gigabyte utility, it shows that at idle the process is running at about 30℃.

What kind of temp reading are other people getting? Is this normal with Mac OSX and the i7 chip?

Once again everyone, thanks for the great guides, they really made doing something like this pretty easy.

I have a 920 - with a nexus cooler. Coolermaster case with about 7 nexus quiet fans.

I'm overclocked to 3.8ghz.

idle - 50℃

load - 77℃

prime test - 80-84℃ (max)

its been well noted that the stock cooler is particularly junk on the i7's.

I imagine this is to make it easier for intel to upsell the masses by making it harder to overclock without extra effort (ie buying an aftermarket cooler).

Invest the $70 in a good cooler. You will be able to overclock without raising temps as my stats will show.

:P

Here's what limited knowledge I have of Core i7 920 and temperature.

The Intel stock cooler is essentially useless. The Skythe Mugen 2 is very popular and affordable (although it's huge and may not fit your case). If you want to install it you will need to clean the surface of your CPU with alcohol and remove your motherboard as well.

I use a Zalman 9900 and idle at 49 C. I also have my fan under PWM control so it doesn't make a lot of noise. If I disabled PWM and ran the fan at full speed the temp would probably drop by at least 10 C. I suspect a lot of the heavy overclockers out there are sacrificing quietness for performance.

That being said every chip lot performs differently hence the wide variety of overclocking results. Lastly, the newer D0 chips run cooler at the same clock speed as the C0/C1 chips.

The Mac OS doesn't really manage the power to this chip since it is not 100% compatible in that department. That's why we disable the IntelCPUpowermanagement with the disabler.kext. If you ran Windows on the same machine, your idle temps would probably be 20 - 25% lower. Under full load using mPrime or Handbrake there would be no difference across OSes.

As an interesting side note. I removed disabler.kext to see what would happen and my idle temp went up to 69 C. Do not attempt this.

Futility,

I am interested in getting my MOTU drivers installed. I have firewire working that doesn't get acknowledged after MOTU driver install (Also a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV not recognized). I have a Newer Technology MiniStack v. 3 connected on the mobo firewire input on the back and have tested it on the Antec case firewire connected to the mobo - both work. I have a MOTU 896HD connected via firewire.

I am running 10.5.7 9.7 kernel w/system.kext from DD's install pkg using System_Kexts folder with _For_System to update boot caches and install/uninstall kexts for the old trial and error routine, This is done to a EX58-UD5 WD Velociraptor hard drive using DD's Patch Installer BETA from a WD 1TB w/Kalyway 10.5.2 installed. When I break the Velocirpator I just boot into Kalyway and run the script on the Velociraptor drive change what is broken and then boot back into Velociraptor...works like a charm...thank you very much. I think I have seen the future... Installed Logic which is working just fine though no Audio Device available so pretty much useless. My Line 6 Pod XT Pro is connected and working via USB (though it would show up under Audio Device on my G5 in Logic but not now) CME UF 80 Keyboard via USB connected and working/tested in Logic and it works perfectly. Both were seen instantly after running manufacturers installers.

My issue is with the MOTU driver installers. I ran the installer package from MOTU (I also have a MOTU MTP AV - MIDI Timepiece - which isn't being recognized) - I have tried many different installs/uninstalls/installs/checks/cross checks to no avail.

I still have no system audio. I didn't like the way the VoodooHDA.kext functioned and can't seem to get any other kind of audio kext configuration to gel except for once early on in my experiments I had a fully functioning audio which I destroyed trying to get MOTU drivers working. I should have noted what config worked but...ce la vie...ce la guerre. I also experienced the static from the front headphone jack as others have commented about. I don't know if it is a bad ground due to the case (Antec) or some other factor but it is annoying. If anyone has an audio solution for the 889 please let me know.

Installed Logic Pro 8 and is running fine with the exception (critical) of Core Audio Drivers, i.e. MOTU firewire. I use the 1TB MiniStack firewire hard drive as a back up for my audio projects and Logic opened a project that I created on the G5 all elements of the project are open but not functional (black diagonal line through inserts) due to the lack of Core Audio Device being available.

I am afraid that all the install/uninstall has somehow caused the issue with the MOTU drivers. My next attempt to solve the problem would be the dreaded total re-install (installing Logic takes approx. 6 $%&&$^&$^%*# hours), i.e. run gparted to reformat the hard drive (Velociraptor), reinstall retail OSX 10.5.6 from a family pack I purchased using (again) Digital Dreamer's Patch Installer (for the 10,786th time), get graphics working (using osx86 tools for plist) MSI 9600GT 512mb, then install MOTU firewire install pkg. If it works with 10.5.6 stop there. If not it probably won't work with 10.5.7. My G5 is 10.5.7 and seemingly had no problems other than overloading CPU but that was with many symphonic instruments...So, I don't see how 10.5.7 could be the problem. Although I installed the MOTU drivers prior to updating to 10.5.7 on the G5. Anyway just trying to think through all the variables.

Another question, is it important to format the EFI partition prior to installing Chameleon? I am using Chameleon 2 640. It works very well. I have three hard drives with different flavors of OSX86 kalyway 10.5.2 with Chameleon v2 640 on the Velociraptor with 10.5.7 using DD's patch install method with the Vanilla 9.7 kernel and System.kext from the DD's script kernel folder as the boot drive. Chameleon shows all drives from which I can choose to boot. Both NIC's work fine and I am online via an airport extreme connected via RJ45. The install went relatively simple...after I installed on other hard drives in other computers using kalyway/iatkos/retail...etc etc...for a few months. A few months ago there was a world of difference in the level of difficulty to get a functional install...or as functional as what I have now. Whether that's due to my learning curve or 10.5.7 I don't know.

The only problem other than audio seems to be the typical error message:

firewire default to full secure

which seems to have no effect on firewire operating evidenced by the firewire drive working just fine.

Everything else seems to be working very well!!! Thank you all very much for the time and energy that went into this project. A real big thank you to Digital Dreamer. This is by far the best tutorial in all of hackdom. I tip my hat and bow most graciously.

I have spent many hours getting this system working as well as it does with the objective being to replace an old G5 PPC for my recording system. I use Logic Pro to do scoring and it requires much cpu for software instruments which was causing G5 to overload. The EX58-UD5 seems like it will crush the G5 and I am and have been chomping at the bit to give it a test drive...and now I'm so close...but, so far away...

Motherboard: EX58-UD5

Graphics: MSI N9600GT

CPU: Core i7 920

CPU Fan: ??? not the stock i7

Memory: 12 GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Case: Antec

PSU: Revolution Enermax 850w

Thanks again for all the time and energy everyone has put into this project. I have been following it for many months now. Digital Dreamer you are the best!!! Thank you very much!!!

I did the installation by script on my MacbookPro laptop. Attached the drive of my to be Hackintosh to it, and started. Looks like the installation went well. Moved the harddisk into the Hackintosh. Pressed the power button and voila. The boot process starts. Nice graphs. Can make a selection out of the two partitions on the disk.

However

there is one: com.tgwbd.drive.LegacyAppleAHCIPortJMB36x is not loadable

Some lines later it is "Waiting for boot volume" and the uuid is indeed that of the partition usd to install Mac OSX.

Than a bunch of output lines from a JMicronATA module is written on the screen with a couple of "Unknown device" lines in there.

The final JMicronATA lines are :

JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0xdf00, CTR 0xde00, IRQ 18, BM 0xdb00)

JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0xdd00, CTR 0xdc00, IRQ 18, BM 0xdb08)

After these, just a long list of

Still waiting for root device

continues forever.

I have a Gigabyte UD5, latest bios update. Disk is SATA2, Seagate 7200.12 1 TByte

Looking at the motherboard, the SATA slots, the disks is attached to the slot closest to the DDR slots (a blue one). This one has two SATA points, I use the one closest to the board.

One other SATA port is used to drive the SATA optical drive. This one is the third (asuming the disk is attached to the first). Again the port closest to the board.

Using PS2 keyboard and mouse.

Would appreciate a hint (or two) since I havebeen struggling for over two weeks by now, and getting this pessimistic feeling...

Thanks so much.

BTW installed 10.5.6 and ran the 10.5.7 combo patch.

Futility,

I am interested in getting my MOTU drivers installed. I have firewire working that doesn't get acknowledged after MOTU driver install (Also a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV not recognized). I have a Newer Technology MiniStack v. 3 connected on the mobo firewire input on the back and have tested it on the Antec case firewire connected to the mobo - both work. I have a MOTU 896HD connected via firewire.

Have you tried deleting the AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E? That's what I needed to get my Mbox2 Pro firewire interface to be recognized. D_D posted a disabler.kext a few pages back that will disable the kext if you'd rather not delete it.

Ryan

I use a Zalman 9900 and idle at 49 C. I also have my fan under PWM control so it doesn't make a lot of noise. If I disabled PWM and ran the fan at full speed the temp would probably drop by at least 10 C. I suspect a lot of the heavy overclockers out there are sacrificing quietness for performance.

I have this same cooler and mine is at the normal setting right now. So you are saying I can turn it down with PWM in the BIOS? I will look into it. This is really the only fan making any noise in my system. Not overclocked since it is a HTPC. My idle temps are 37-38C like you mentioned. Very good cooler. Although it was about 1/2" too tall for my Lian Li PC-C33B. I carefully modded it to fit :( . I bent the pipes effectively shortening the unit a little more than 1/2". I then had to remount the fan using a new mount point. It now fits.

I did the installation by script on my MacbookPro laptop. Attached the drive of my to be Hackintosh to it, and started. Looks like the installation went well. Moved the harddisk into the Hackintosh. Pressed the power button and voila. The boot process starts. Nice graphs. Can make a selection out of the two partitions on the disk.

However

there is one: com.tgwbd.drive.LegacyAppleAHCIPortJMB36x is not loadable

Some lines later it is "Waiting for boot volume" and the uuid is indeed that of the partition usd to install Mac OSX.

Than a bunch of output lines from a JMicronATA module is written on the screen with a couple of "Unknown device" lines in there.

The final JMicronATA lines are :

JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0xdf00, CTR 0xde00, IRQ 18, BM 0xdb00)

JMicronATA: JMB363 (CMD 0xdd00, CTR 0xdc00, IRQ 18, BM 0xdb08)

After these, just a long list of

Still waiting for root device

continues forever.

I have a Gigabyte UD5, latest bios update. Disk is SATA2, Seagate 7200.12 1 TByte

Looking at the motherboard, the SATA slots, the disks is attached to the slot closest to the DDR slots (a blue one). This one has two SATA points, I use the one closest to the board.

One other SATA port is used to drive the SATA optical drive. This one is the third (asuming the disk is attached to the first). Again the port closest to the board.

Using PS2 keyboard and mouse.

Would appreciate a hint (or two) since I havebeen struggling for over two weeks by now, and getting this pessimistic feeling...

Thanks so much.

BTW installed 10.5.6 and ran the 10.5.7 combo patch.

Use the blue ports and put your boot disk in the Sata0 slot. The bottom one closest to the ram modules. Then you need to disable the Jmicron controller (it sucks) in the bios and use the ICH10R one set to AHCI. The setting in the BIOS is the top one "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "AHCI". Then disable the one at the bottom of the same page. Look in the common problems on the wiki. I had the same issue and it was fixed by this easily.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...obo%2C_Scripted