[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Bummer that it's working fine in iATKOS v7. :weight_lift:

Did you try any of the JMircon kexts installed on that distro?

With the change to the SATA ports in IDE mode, you'll still have to have a adapter for the SATA to IDE connection.

digital_dreamer,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I have installed the JMicronATA2.kext and LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext from iATKOS v7 into Extra folder and tried to burn 2 disks,(by Burn.app and Toast.app) now everything seems to be fine and the KP gone away.

But I see in System Profiler.app that they show as TWO "Unknown AHCI Standard Conroller" and "AHCI Version 1.00 Supported", dose it mean that those 4 SATA ports are completedly useless in Leopard? In iATKOS I also installed AppleIntelXPllATA2.kext , and System Profiler reports them correctly, but I think that it's ICH8 or ICH9.

I was also using Toast Titanium and same KP happened when trying to burn. I figured out that the system just needs to be restarted, start up Toast, then burn and it works. I haven't tried other apps either because it is not that tedious to me just to restart before I burn something.

L3B3R,

Please tell me how you figured out that OS needs to be restart before burning via Toast? You can try to install kexts from iATKOS maybe it will work for you.

regards,

Z.A.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 feedback

Below is my experience with this board. I'll detail a brief install method, problems/quirks and any outstanding issues I have. I'm definitely no expert and I have progressed with a lot of trial and error but hopefully my experience might help others.

I'm afraid there is little science here... These are problems I've come across and worked around. As with all this stuff YMMV.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the forum who has helped me out, with big thanks to wolf and digital_dreamer for their time and efforts.

Brief install procedure

1. Firstly I installed kalyway 10.5.2 using kabyl kernel on an empty GUID USB drive. This was to be my maintenance drive.
  2. Once booted in Kalyway I installed OS X using a legit retail .iso onto a clean GUID drive with no other partitions. I updated this with the 10.5.6 Combo updater and then ran Wolfs script to install EFI and the bundled kexts.
  3. Once booted into OS X (i7) I added an efi string for my graphics card and removed the Natit.kext from wolfs originals.
  4. I also updated to the latest voodoo and system.kext and removed the seatbelt.kext. I also added a different IONetworkingFamily.kext from digital_dreamer which enabled Time Machine to work correctly and had the latest RealtekR1000.kext in plugins - this fixes DHCP wake errors.
  5. Recently I added the updated HDA kexts to get rid of the audio Sound assertion errors.

Problems/Issues

Airport/Wireless Not Working on EFI i7 install

Immediately I noticed I had no airport card showing. Looking at the -v screen on start up showed the following error:

MacPro-i7 kextd[30]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

There is also a similar error for Firewire networks which doesn't effect me

kextd[39]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireIP.kext

I removed the EFI IONetworkingFamily.kext and I got Airport back. Great!! I thought... But without IONetworkingFamily.kext LAN and Time Machine won't work.

Fix/Workaround

I added IO80211Family.kext to the EFI partition and Airport and Time Machine both function at the cost of working LAN. If you leave the LAN port connected, Airport will show up in the Network list but will not turn on and console reports the following error and System prefs hangs.

MacPro-i7 System Preferences[174]: Error: airportd MIG failed = -308 ((ipc/mig) server died)  (port = 51755)

Hang on startup at ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure - Green LAN!

Now this one was bit of a mystery (and still is). I was getting random hangs on boot at this message. What made it more tricky was that it seemed completely random - sometimes it happened, sometimes not. After a lot of BIOS tweaking I noticed it didn't happen when Green LAN was disabled. It also seemed to happen more when IO80211Family.kext was in the EFI partition.

Fix/Workaround

Disable Green LAN. (I've read that this needs to be on for LAN to work after sleep, but in my experience this wasn't true. I was able to sleep and the DHCP LAN came back on wake. I was also able to swap between ports). Again, YMMV

Outstanding issues.

Network - would like to figure out how to run Airport and Ethernet in tandem without having to swap out kexts.

If any of the more technical heads can offer any help with this I'd really appreciate it. Is there a way to work around the link/load error? There is obviously some sort of conflict between the IONetworkingFamily.kext in the EFI partition and the IO80211Family.kext in S/L/E.

Any ideas/input appreciated.

3rd Memory DIMM not showing in System Profiler and incorrect speed

No idea with this - just cosmetic.

The speed seems to have jumped up to 1600 (mine is 1333) after a recent .kext change - I'm not sure which.

Static Noise from PSU when disks are running

Another weird one here... No biggie, but mentioning here to see if anyone else has experienced it with this board. As the title says I get audible static noise from the PSU when the machine is running. It is loudest when the disks are working and bizarrely when I scroll up with the mighty mouse scroll ball!! My previous hack was using a P5w board with exactly the same hardware (drives,case,monitor,psu etc) and it was completely silent. I'll look into grounding etc when I get a chance.

Ok I've run the OS X install and the combo updater and your script, but when I rebooted and selected the retail OS X drive in Chameleon I got a Kernal Panic, here's what -v said:

Any ideas? :(

-Rich-

There's no KP that I can see.

From all appearances your system has reached the desktop, but with no ability to display graphics.

The network is up, sound up, the login window appeared but likely quit.

So, focus on getting your graphics card up and running.

sorry about the stupid question...but i was just wondering how do i find my install.log.

All i see on terminal is that single line when i hit 3 is: Drive activation cannot be performed on startup drive!

When i hit 4: No Mac OS X Install DVD has been detected.

I am using a computer running tiger and connecting my hard drive through firewire 800.

Okay, there we go. The script doesn't work correctly in Tiger, the version of bash is incompatible.

There are issues with the way certain commands work and they are not fully supported.

If you have the Leopard Retail DVD, why don't you upgrade your system to Leopard?

regards,

MAJ

Ok I've run the OS X install and the combo updater and your script, but when I rebooted and selected the retail OS X drive in Chameleon I got a Kernal Panic, here's what -v said:

Any ideas? :D

-Rich-

I agree with DD the machine got through boot, but the video is not working. At the boot prompt type: -v -x this puts you in safe mode without 'exotic' graphics and sometimes will let you get to the desktop when you have a stubborn graphics card. There are a number of ways to get graphics to work, look through the graphics and drivers forums for hints and tips on getting the right kexts or other techniques for you particular card. I fought one for four hours yesterday and finally got to safe mode, but have not completely solved this particular card - alas some can't be solved!

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at this a little later when I get home :P

Well it was definitely a kernel panic so I rebooted and did -v :P

I was talking to KnightShade and he said the coreRAIDserver thing was to do with the fact the board is ICH10® so he sent me a kext/pkg to install in safe mode as well as a USB I/O pkg because when I was using kalyway the mouse died randomly and it wouldnt' really accept USB drives.

I'll try the graphics card drivers first (GTX 260 so it shoudn't be too hard) and see how it goes

I had noticed that Chameleon has murdered my Win7 boot manager and when I tried to repair using the disc it said I had the wrong version?! So I'm not quite sure how to fix that but I'll get OS X working first :P

Thanks again guys you're a great help, I'll be posting my own experience and what I had to do to get things working for the benefit of others :D

-Rich-

could someone post some kexts for me from a fresh retail install, or at least un-modified?

Im not getting any help from the nvdia forum here...so I tried copying some kexts from kalyways (geforce kexts and nvdia res, and just any graphics kexts...I used kext helper to install them...

anyways, not I can only boot into safe mode, so i need to put back the originals...and I didnt back them up first (oops)

Thanks.

EDIT:

I have uploaded a picture of the kexts I replaced/need

thanks again

could someone post some kexts for me from a fresh retail install, or at least un-modified?

Im not getting any help from the nvdia forum here...so I tried copying some kexts from kalyways (geforce kexts and nvdia res, and just any graphics kexts...I used kext helper to install them...

anyways, not I can only boot into safe mode, so i need to put back the originals...and I didnt back them up first (oops)

Thanks.

EDIT:

I have uploaded a picture of the kexts I replaced/need

thanks again

The simple way to get back (I assume you are at 10.5.7) is to rerun the 10.5.7 update. That should reinstall your missing kexts.

The simple way to get back (I assume you are at 10.5.7) is to rerun the 10.5.7 update. That should reinstall your missing kexts.

ahh, I will give that a shot. thanks...

actually, could I get a 10.5.6 combo update and run it, and see if that fixed my qe/ci problem? or would that just cause even more problems?

Hmmm my install worked fine for a day but then i started getting kernel panics upon booting

I've tried erasing the entire disk and starting from scratch several times but i keep getting KP's

Im now trying Wolfienuke's method but i'm still running into the same KP

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2936/img7103.jpg is what it says

if anyone knows how to get past this i'd like to know.

Thanks in advance

daniel

If we want to connect a TV to our computers then what is the best way to get audio watching bluray's through plex? Do any of the digital audio ports on the back of the UD5 mobo work in OSX?

Also has anyone had any luck getting dual monitor on a 4870? If so what brand? I have a 4890, but it has no dual ports working.

Thanks!!

For a while, my hackintosh wasn't booting and was giving me many different errors so I mixed around with the bios setting and I finally managed to get it to boot. It did take 6 minutes or so and it did give me the errors on this new boot but it eventually made it to the start up screen. While I was fooling around with my new system, i decided to plug in a firewire cable to test it out.

All of a sudden, finder went haywire. It would not close, restart, or do anything so i was forced to restart via the buttons on the case.

Now when I power on, it doesn't start.

I did a verbose start up and the first thing that I see is that: errors while starting up computer.

the screen then changes and I see

npvhash=4905

himem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enambled

64 bit enabled

Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 1391443 free pages and 81421 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

Extension "com.apple.driver.appleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components

use only one style

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x004384FF): "unable to find driver for this platform; |"ACPI\". \n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.12.14/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace <CPU0>, Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x76d1bdd8 : 0x12b4c6 (0x45ec20 0x76d1be0c 0x13355c 0x0)

0x76d1be28 : 0x4384ff (0x4a57c8 0x86816d0 0x87bd804 0x87b2d80)

0x76d1be48 : 0x416428 (0x87c4a00 0x86edd80 0x1 0x3f0838)

ox74d1bea8 : 0x417ccb (0x86edd80 0x87c4a00 0x97b8e40 0x0)

0x76d1bf28 : 0x41752f (0x86edd80 0x86f4b80 0x8 0xffffffff)

0x76d1bf78 : 0x418bc3 (0x86edd80 0x0 0x76d1bfac 0x1)

0x76d1b4c8 : 0x1a14ec 90x8681510 0x0 0x1a40b5 0x86e38b8)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set.

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386

System uptime in nanoseconds: 264006733

Kernel version

thanks in advance

If anyone can help me I would much appreciate it.

I formated and installed 10.57 from Mac Book Pro.

Ran the installer script for Gigabyte motherboard

Put HD in tower

Boot up

Chameleon asks which HD to boot from... Select partition and enter

I see a Picture on the screen for half a sec and then the system reboots.

I set the bios up as described ( although the bios screen looks different since I have a UD4 motherboard

Anyone know How I can get it to not reboot when its trying to load the Mac Os?

Thanks again

OK, I got it running. New issue. I can only activate 1 core and no HT. If I have more than 1 core or HT enabled it reboots as it starts to load Mac OS.

Is this normal? Is there something special you need to do to use more than 1 core?

I have the EX58-ud4 board. Could this possibly be a hardware issue with CPU or MB? I guess the sure fire test is to exchange the MB and CPU for new ones and see if it behaves the same.

thanks

Thanks, that worked perfect...now back to trying to get CI/QE working...

Before you proceed you could download OSX86Tools and use it to make a backup of your extensions since it can save you the trouble of having to reuse the 10.5.7 update.

Also has anyone had any luck getting dual monitor on a 4870? If so what brand? I have a 4890, but it has no dual ports working.

From memory I think dual monitors work fine on a 4870 but at the moment there is currently no way to run dual monitors on a 4890.

Good morning,

could someone give me a good BOOT-132 iso to make a cd for the retail installation for this GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard ? I have Leopard 10.5.0 Retail DVD.

Can I use this DVD or it is better if I will try with 10.5.6 Retail DVD ?

Thanks

Hmmm my install worked fine for a day but then i started getting kernel panics upon booting

I've tried erasing the entire disk and starting from scratch several times but i keep getting KP's

Im now trying Wolfienuke's method but i'm still running into the same KP

if anyone knows how to get past this i'd like to know.

Thanks in advance

daniel

Do you have the headphones plugged in by any chance? Unplug it.

could someone give me a good BOOT-132 iso to make a cd for the retail installation for this GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard ? I have Leopard 10.5.0 Retail DVD.

Can I use this DVD or it is better if I will try with 10.5.6 Retail DVD ?

Thanks

The 10.5.0 disc is fine, but update it to 10.5.7 via combo updater before booting.

MAJ

Do you have the headphones plugged in by any chance? Unplug it.

i did have headphones plugged in and removed them but the KP still appears, hmmm

thank you for your help though its apreciated

edit: i reinstalled everything digital dreamers way again and made shure nothing was plugged into the audio ports during the install, i also upgraded to 10.5.7 after the finishing the script and it seems to be booting fine now.

thank you again for the help and hard work

If we want to connect a TV to our computers then what is the best way to get audio watching bluray's through plex? Do any of the digital audio ports on the back of the UD5 mobo work in OSX?

I use the DVD-Player with SPDIF output (in Dolby Digital) without problems

Hi:) Im a long term Mac user (on laptops that is) and are gona uppgrade to i7 with the Gigabyte board very soon.

(i would prefer the Asus one but it seems the support for OSX is much better on this one)

But to the case. When i follow this guide, will my comp behave like a "normal" mac when i have installed all the needed stuff? I mean, can i Dualboot it with Win7 using bootcamp? And will it boot normaly without needing any CDs or USB sticks plugged in?

And last but not least, will i be able to harvest the full power of the system, with all features runing at max, and maybe even do some OC on it?

Also: amazing job guys! this have come so far since i last tired to install OSX on my Athlon 64.

Hi:) Im a long term Mac user (on laptops that is) and are gona uppgrade to i7 with the Gigabyte board very soon.

(i would prefer the Asus one but it seems the support for OSX is much better on this one)

If your overclocking then the UD5 is perhaps better than the Asus board. It certainly isn't any worse off. The Core i7 920 processors are incredibly overclockable so alot of people do overclock.

But to the case. When i follow this guide, will my comp behave like a "normal" mac when i have installed all the needed stuff?

There are no guarantees when it comes to using a hackintosh. Things will largely depend on what hardware you end up using but it's also very possible for things to change a bit when it comes to snow leopard. Everything generally works like a normal mac for me except that I can't shutdown normally or use sleep. There isn't a current fix for that for the hardware that I'm using although with alot of other hardware this is completely workable.

I mean, can i Dualboot it with Win7 using bootcamp? And will it boot normaly without needing any CDs or USB sticks plugged in?

You can run Win7 just fine with Dualboot. It might be a bit harder to setup unless you run it from a separate hard drive instead of on a partition but hard drives are cheap anyway.

And last but not least, will i be able to harvest the full power of the system, with all features runing at max, and maybe even do some OC on it?

The OS won't limit you being able to harvest the full power but what you do with your machine might. These machines overclock very well if you use a non-standard air cooler. When overclocked they are incredibly powerful. The only thing I use my full power for on my mac side is x264 video encoding for EyeTV recordings. That's it nothing else comes close.