[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hi there

I want to Install OSX from a 10.5.6 Retail Disc DMG on my new i7 Computer. I got OSX running on my laptop computer only, so I try to install OSX to an external drive (GUID, HFS+) first and the clone it. However, I use the patcher from the first post, but when I try to install from Retail DVD Installer (#4), the Installer says that it will check if the software can be installed on my system and afterwards quits the installer. Don't know how to fix it... could someone help me?

Thanks

Edit: Okay, it seems to work with the new Beta Patch Installer... Thanks Anyways

Edit2:

Uhm another question occured: When I patch the DSDT on the external drive on my laptop computer, will it be the right DSDT to boot it on my i7 machine?

Hi

I really need firewire working cause I use a firewire audiointerface for make music.........

Do I only have to delete the HPET.kext?

Thanks guys

You have a UD5 with no working Firewire? Or, does it not work well enough for audio work?

Try the Disabler.kext I posted earlier and let us know.

Uhm another question occured: When I patch the DSDT on the external drive on my laptop computer, will it be the right DSDT to boot it on my i7 machine?

No, you need to do the patch on the i7 system. It will boot without it.

regards,

MAJ

Ok I'm getting closer now. I updated Bootcaches and disabled Onboard Sata Controller. Now I get until it says: NTFS Volume, Version 3.1 - then its stuck. After I updated the Bootcaches, I'm able to boot into the install on my laptop (until I miss some drivers, so no keyboard, etc. is working), so the problem must be my i7 rig.

I tried to install the kexts for my GTX 260... Could the EVGA kexts or the injector by netkas cause this problem?

Are there any special BIOS settings apart from AHCI i should choose to boot OSX?

Bios Version is F7.

Please post any ideas for a solution! Thank you.

You have a UD5 with no working Firewire? Or, does it not work well enough for audio work?

Try the Disabler.kext I posted earlier and let us know.

Hi DD!

It does not work well enough for audio work!

With plugged interface it needs double time to boot and there are glitches and sync problems in audio working.

I already tried the Disabler.kext but there is no difference!

OK, running Snow Leopard on EX58-Extreme as we speak thanks to the DD guide :star_smile:

No networking though, didn't try 32 bit yet, but 64b is no go.

PS: original guide for Leopard was also spot on. Works perfectly, even with GT200 cards (given you delete/replace the ATY kext from the extra folder in exchange for some newer injects)

Edit 1 : can't get x32 to boot : hangs at jmicron "BMBaseaddr= db08"

Edit 2 : also have the clr cmos error, will have to edit DSDT file too I think. Clear cmos or power down did not help.

Edit 3 : whith jmicron disabled I can boot x32 and have ethernet working.

High Precision Event Timer. Don't really know what else uses this timer. But, Apple was probably using it to manage Firewire latency and splitting up its workload.

Try this Disabler.kext. It includes the HPET blacklist.

regards,

MAJ

I'm curious why the disabler.kext that is distributed with Chameleon 2 RC2 only disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement where DDs disabler.kext disables many more. Are these UD5 specific or is it more like a better safe than sorry approach? What would happen if I used the lighter disabler.kext?

Hey guys. This might be a bit of a tricky one to answer but I don't think there's really anywhere else to ask.

I just updated my bios to the beta version on tweaktown, F8f.

Everything works well except my Apple USB keyboard no longer works during the chameleon boot selector. It works fine for getting to the bios configuration screen and fine after an OS boots but doesn't seem to work inbetween those stages.

I've had this happen with other versions of the bios. It turned out to be more of a USB device conflict than a bios problem. Try unplugging all usb devices except for your mouse and keyboard and then booting. Does the problem still persist? For me, the device in question was an iLok. Unplugging it gave me back my keyboard during the Chameleon boot screen.

Hi DD!

It does not work well enough for audio work!

With plugged interface it needs double time to boot and there are glitches and sync problems in audio working.

I already tried the Disabler.kext but there is no difference!

What interface are you using? What software?

Is your system clock running fast?

Ryan

I'm curious why the disabler.kext that is distributed with Chameleon 2 RC2 only disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement where DDs disabler.kext disables many more. Are these UD5 specific or is it more like a better safe than sorry approach? What would happen if I used the lighter disabler.kext?

<SNIP>

Just going with the better-safe-than-sorry approach, as you never know what combination you're going to run into.

For example, the AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler is for the mouse lag on nVIDIA cards.

In SL, the only disabler in use is the one for the IntelCPUPowerManagement, so, hopefully, we'll get off to a clean start and be able to use all vanilla kexts once DSDT is setup properly.

Minor, but important update to BETA script:

Download: X58 Mobo Patch Installer v4b BETA

Snow Leopard ready.

• Fixed CMOS reset bug in SL: I had targeted and copied the wrong file in previous version. ;)
  • Includes needed files to boot into latest SL update (build 10A421a). Separate script included. Double-click and you're done.
    EDIT: You'll need to get into the script to add your SL volume name.

This makes for a larger download - 30.9MB!

regards,

MAJ

Hi DD, where did you get the R1000.kext 64bit in your new Beta?. Did you get it working on our Mobo in SL?. I can load iR1000 as a plugin with ionetworkingfamily.kext from mkext in Extra. The CRC Errors i got from the version I recompiled myself are fixed with this version. But it also disables onboard Ethernet 8111 after restart and sometimes assignes Mac Address to ff:f:ff:ff:ff. At the moment I fixed this with a Netgear GA 311 (RTL 8169) nic, which works oob on SL. Thanks for your great work.

Hi DD, where did you get the R1000.kext 64bit in your new Beta?. Did you get it working on our Mobo in SL?. I can load iR1000 as a plugin with ionetworkingfamily.kext from mkext in Extra. The CRC Errors i got from the version I recompiled myself are fixed with this version. But it also disables onboard Ethernet 8111 after restart and sometimes assignes Mac Address to ff:f:ff:ff:ff. At the moment I fixed this with a Netgear GA 311 (RTL 8169) nic, which works oob on SL. Thanks for your great work.

I believe it's from solar on IRC.

It works for me only when installed in S/L/E. But, I can only work in 32-bit, as my 2600 XT card doesn't work with the ATY.Init.kext in 64-bit. No GFX strings work for it either, so I'm stuck in 32-bit land until I get a different card or they update the kext.

best regards,

MAJ

Hi DD,

The clr cmos bug does not appear to be solved with the new patch. Nothing changed here, or is there an extra step to be taken to make it work ? Haven't tested the latest build of SL yet so can't say if the second patch works or not.

Also get the "Mac Address to ff:f:ff:ff:ff" on some boots (32bit), 64 bit remains no go for networking.

I continue to have trouble with the jmicron controller. In 32 bit mode I have to disable it or no boot, in 64 bit only AHCI will boot. Also : AHCI is required on the ICH10 (same as Leopard) or I get the "still waiting for root device" error.

Sorry to bother you again, but another strange problem occured: I reinstalled 10.5.7 to the external HD doing the following:

1. Format to GUID, HFS+

2. Run Patch Installer

3. Install Chameleon 2 RC1

4. Set Partition active

5. Install Retail 10.5.6

6. Install 10.5.7 Combo Update

7. Istall Kexts

8. Update Boot-Caches.

I am able to boot into it on my laptop, but when I plug the HDD to my i7 rig, it displays Processor Specs and then hangs in BIOS boot... However, once I repartition the drive (GUID, HFS+) and it is empty, I get through Bios boot without errors. Same drive bootet 10.5.7 yesterday until NTFS Volume Name , Version 3.1

How could that be?

Thanks

Edit: Switched to PC_EFIv10, now it boots but hangs again at mDNSREsponder: couldnt find local computer name , using default ----- instead.

Damn this machine hates OSX!

Hey dear community:

I Just bought a new computer and tryed this script! (The configuration is almost exactly the same like from the thread opener). When i run the script, everything works fine. BUT i think it is not installing a kernel!

-->

ATA VERSION SIZE DESTINATION

1) LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext 9.9.9 8K /Extra

2) LegacyJMicronATASATAIDE.kext 9.9.9 8K /Extra

3) LegacyJMicronJMB36xSATA.kext 9.9.9 8K /Extra

Audio

4) HDAEnabler.kext 1.0.0d1 44K /Extra

5) LegacyHDAController.kext 99 8K /Extra

6) LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext 99 24K /Extra

Graphics

7) ATY_Init.kext 1.0.0d1 512K /Extra

Networking

8) IONetworkingFamily.kext 9.9.9 384K /Extra

Misc Patches

9) Disabler.kext 1.0.1 48K /Extra

10) dsmos.kext 1.0.0d1 48K /Extra

11) OpenHaltRestart.kext 1.0.3 116K /Extra

12) UUID.kext 1.0.0d1 44K /Extra

Kernel & matching kext

(No files present to install)

What is going wrong there? When i boot the system, it boots into the bootloader an then reboots... (i also tryed "busratio=20")

I executed the Script on an Macbook (10.5.7).

Please help me!

Thanks a lot!

Hi DD,

The clr cmos bug does not appear to be solved with the new patch. Nothing changed here, or is there an extra step to be taken to make it work ? Haven't tested the latest build of SL yet so can't say if the second patch works or not.

I continue to have trouble with the jmicron controller. In 32 bit mode I have to disable it or no boot, in 64 bit only AHCI will boot. Also : AHCI is required on the ICH10 (same as Leopard) or I get the "still waiting for root device" error.

<SNIP>

Are you saying the latest release, v4b, from a few posts up, still doesn't fix the CMOS reset?

You ran the DSDT patcher, again, right?

EDIT: Have you tried the other purple JMicronATA.kext in the repository to see if it works better for you?

I am able to boot into it on my laptop, but when I plug the HDD to my i7 rig, it displays Processor Specs and then hangs in BIOS boot... However, once I repartition the drive (GUID, HFS+) and it is empty, I get through Bios boot without errors. Same drive bootet 10.5.7 yesterday until NTFS Volume Name , Version 3.1

<SNIP>

What do you mean by 'BIOS boot?'

And, 'BIOS boot' on a erased drive?

What is going wrong there? When i boot the system, it boots into the bootloader an then reboots... (i also tryed "busratio=20")

I executed the Script on an Macbook (10.5.7).

If you're running 10.5.7 on an Core i7 system, there's no need to install a different kernel. It'll run the Apple-supplied vanilla one.

Did you install a DSDT patch from your Macbook? (trick question!)

Is ACHI enabled for your SATA drives?

regards,

MAJ

Good morning,

could someone help me to choose the kexts file (and kernel if needed) to build a Boot-132 CD for this motherboard ?

Thanks a lot.

All the "ORANGE" labeled kexts in the current script's (not BETA) folders are what's used.

MAJ

By "BIOS boot" I mean the first prompts when turning on the computer. The BIOS checks CPU and Memory. When I plug in the HDD, it often stops booting even before checking memory. I can fix this by installing a different bootloader with your patcher, but to me it seems like it is a random error, sometimes it only boots after installing Chameleon v2 RC1, sometimes only after installing PC_EFI10, ... There have to be some files that are rewritten during bootloader installation, which sometimes cause this error.

Anyways, even when I manag to bypass this error, it only boots until mDNS responder: couldnt find.... Error. I tried a different distro (the retail 10.5.2 part of iAtkos v5i) with your patcher, now it stops booting even earlier. Seems like I get random errors, don't know why. The only reoccuring error is the one with mDNS responder.

Sadly I don't have an external case for my internal harddrive, so I really need to get a working install on USB-HDD before I can do anything else (booting Retail Install DVD wouldn't help, as I use MBR partition tablet).

High Precision Event Timer. Don't really know what else uses this timer. But, Apple was probably using it to manage Firewire latency and splitting up its workload.

Try this Disabler.kext. It includes the HPET blacklist.

regards,

MAJ

Thank you, this Disabler.kext works great!

I also need to disable AppleHDA (I have a UD3R board) for VoodooHDA to work for me. I prefer the idea of using the disabler as opposed to removing the kext from S/L/E.

I looked inside the kext and it looks like the only difference is an extra set of key/value pairs in the info.plist. How does one go about getting the info to add a kext to disabler.kext?

I really enjoy learning about how all of this works. Thanks to everyone who put in the time to help us beginners get a little more advanced.

Ryan

I'm sorry if this has been posted before (in fact I think the post above regards my problem), but I have just installed OS X and everything is working perfectly apart from the sound. Forgive me as I'm relatively new to this, but I think I may have made the mistake of installing kexts prior to the installation of the 10.5.7 combo update - could that possibly have an effect?

Having used the X58 patch installer I can't call myself a pro, although I am reasonably familiar with the concept behind the process. I'm using a GA-EX58-UD3R board, I'm aware it uses the same chipset as the UD5, so I can't see that would be a problem. Any solutions? i.e. just a simple kext I need to modify/install? Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I'm sorry if this has been posted before (in fact I think the post above regards my problem), but I have just installed OS X and everything is working perfectly apart from the sound. Forgive me as I'm relatively new to this, but I think I may have made the mistake of installing kexts prior to the installation of the 10.5.7 combo update - could that possibly have an effect?

Having used the X58 patch installer I can't call myself a pro, although I am reasonably familiar with the concept behind the process. I'm using a GA-EX58-UD3R board, I'm aware it uses the same chipset as the UD5, so I can't see that would be a problem. Any solutions? i.e. just a simple kext I need to modify/install? Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The UD3R board uses a different audio chipset than the UD5 (888 vs 889). Add the Voodoo.HDA kext to S/L/E and audio should work.

Thanks in advance!

Actually the UD3R uses the Realtek ALC888 whereas the UD5 uses the Realtek ALC889a sound chip. Of course that doesn't answer your question. I believe the audio related kexts in DDs installer script are prepatched for the ALC889a sound chip. You will need to look around the forums and find the appropriate audio kexts for your specific chipset. They will most likely be named exactly the same, except they will be specifically patched for the ALC888. Good luck.

By "BIOS boot" I mean the first prompts when turning on the computer. The BIOS checks CPU and Memory. When I plug in the HDD, it often stops booting even before checking memory. I can fix this by installing a different bootloader with your patcher, but to me it seems like it is a random error, sometimes it only boots after installing Chameleon v2 RC1, sometimes only after installing PC_EFI10, ... There have to be some files that are rewritten during bootloader installation, which sometimes cause this error.

Anyways, even when I manag to bypass this error, it only boots until mDNS responder: couldnt find.... Error. I tried a different distro (the retail 10.5.2 part of iAtkos v5i) with your patcher, now it stops booting even earlier. Seems like I get random errors, don't know why. The only reoccuring error is the one with mDNS responder.

Sadly I don't have an external case for my internal harddrive, so I really need to get a working install on USB-HDD before I can do anything else (booting Retail Install DVD wouldn't help, as I use MBR partition tablet).

The way you are describing your system is that it is failing to POST sometimes. This would be a hardware issue. Is it overclocked? Are your RAM settings correct? Are you able to boot any other OSes consistently? Unless you're talking about the "waiting for root device" error when the BIOS cannot find a bootable file, whatever software you have installed is not going to make any difference until this issue gets resolved.

You may need to change out your RAM, or pull all out except one to get to the culprit (if it's RAM).

Additionally, using the distro as a "Retail DVD" is suspect. I can't guarantee the results as I don't know what's on or not on that disc.

Thank you, this Disabler.kext works great!

I also need to disable AppleHDA (I have a UD3R board) for VoodooHDA to work for me. I prefer the idea of using the disabler as opposed to removing the kext from S/L/E.

I looked inside the kext and it looks like the only difference is an extra set of key/value pairs in the info.plist. How does one go about getting the info to add a kext to disabler.kext?

I really enjoy learning about how all of this works. Thanks to everyone who put in the time to help us beginners get a little more advanced.

Ryan

I don't think you'll gain anything by having the vanilla AppleHDA disabled. Doesn't the VoodooHDA ignore it anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Installing the kexts before the combo update is not problem at all. In fact, one could install the bootloader and kexts before starting any OS install. Those files are independent.

The UD3R board doesn't use the same audio chipset as the UD5. It uses the Realtek ALC888 codec. (The UD5 uses the 889a)

Perhaps someone else may be able to chime in with a working kext set, but until then, you'd need to check out the audio forums for something that works. (EDIT: Beaten x2!)

regards,

MAJ

Not sure where I should be looking but I found a set of kexts a while ago when I tried to install using the BOOT-132 method.

kexts.png

Is it possible that AppleHDA.kext in there will work? I guess that it would. If so, how do I go about replacing it? Is it just as simple as replacing it in System/Library/Extensions?

Are you saying the latest release, v4b, from a few posts up, still doesn't fix the CMOS reset?

You ran the DSDT patcher, again, right?

EDIT: Have you tried the other purple JMicronATA.kext in the repository to see if it works better for you?

Yes, using v4b. Guess you can slap me around the ears now, thought I'd repatched, seems I didn't. Solved like you said.

The JMicronATA.kext also did it for me : works flawlessly in x32 mode (instead of the "-inject" kext)

You saved my day once more DD, you're truly the best !

Edit : also still trying to get sound to work, no luck yet, trying different kexts now at /Extra or S/L/E locations

Edit 2 : hmm, update to 411 brought kernel panics back, back to disabling Jmicron, will try other kext again - edit : nope, doesn't work on 411. Will update to latest build first and then try to figure it out.