[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

First of all, thanks to DD for the script/guide

[my rig>Ga-EX58-EXTREME -F7/ i920 / gainward gts-250 1g]

I've succeded installing 10.5.7, and almost everything goes smooth, with 2 exceptions:

-can't boot without 'cpus=1' [if I'm not using this option, even with '-v', I can't see any panic, it just instantly reboots]

-[minor]problem enabling QE to GTS-250

so, let me ask all those more experienced users:

how can I get rid of this 'cpus=1'...what should I do? could be a wrong CPU setting in Bios -F7 ? [i've blocked busratio to 20, disabled all those fancy features of the cpu]

thanks

First of all, thanks to DD for the script/guide

[my rig>Ga-EX58-EXTREME -F7/ i920 / gainward gts-250 1g]

I've succeded installing 10.5.7, and almost everything goes smooth, with 2 exceptions:

-can't boot without 'cpus=1' [if I'm not using this option, even with '-v', I can't see any panic, it just instantly reboots]

-[minor]problem enabling QE to GTS-250

so, let me ask all those more experienced users:

how can I get rid of this 'cpus=1'...what should I do? could be a wrong CPU setting in Bios -F7 ? [i've blocked busratio to 20, disabled all those fancy features of the cpu]

thanks

solved! it was the bios...

Could not find anything in the guide about it, but is it possible to get this runing with SLi?

And one last thing, in the image at the start of the guide where you are crushing prime:

The temp sensors show 8 cores, tho only 4 different temperatures, CPUX show 4 cores and 16 threads.

The CPU have 4 cores and 8 threads. And ima bit confused:D

Im interested in knowing the same thing, i have 3 x gtx 260's and i was gonna use them in sli if possible

Yes it would be great with some info here:)And how is the support for dual/tripple/quad screen setups?

if we dont have a reply in the next 8 or so hours on this topic, i'll be installing 3 gtx 260's into it.

I hope this goes straight forward. i dont want to jack with this all day but would love to have osx on a i7

if we dont have a reply in the next 8 or so hours on this topic, i'll be installing 3 gtx 260's into it.

I hope this goes straight forward. i dont want to jack with this all day but would love to have osx on a i7

You should look at netkas website as well as the graphic card section of this website for info on if or how SLI is possible on OSx. Dont depend on this thread because most Macintosh Users aren't hardcore gamers.

Now that I have this all running is there a way to make it where all the EFI, etc. are on a USB flash drive? It would be cool if I could install 10.5.7 on a HDD connected to a mac and then put that drive in a hackintosh with the USB drive and everything works.

Also, when SL disks come out we would be able to install directly from the DVD.

Can the script be setup to install the necessary parts to a USB drive?

Now that I have this all running is there a way to make it where all the EFI, etc. are on a USB flash drive? It would be cool if I could install 10.5.7 on a HDD connected to a mac and then put that drive in a hackintosh with the USB drive and everything works.

Not to discourage you, but I tried this a few months back and was unsuccessful. I used the v3.3 script with Cham 2 and experienced a lot of instability, mostly with wake up.

I agree this would be an ideal setup to have a perfectly vanilla system install that could be used to boot an actual mac if needed. The other added benefit is that you could use Disk Warrior on your boot disc without it messing up your boot blocks.

Maybe you will have better luck.

Now that I have this all running is there a way to make it where all the EFI, etc. are on a USB flash drive?

Simple, unlike Fut1i1ity, who had strange problems (probably with an old kernel), this works like a charm with DD's script. I have done this several times and no issues along the line of Fut1i1ity's.

You mean from the DD script in Leopard and create SL install w custom kexts? No. Snow leopard does system level commands such as mkext rebuilding differently and is incompatible. Once one is in SL they can mkext rebuild with mkext maker for SL. Also once in SL, DD's script can be used. At least this is what I have been told.

Already answered yes on that. And obviously as I said before you cant install snow leopard kexts on leopard.

Simple, unlike Fut1i1ity, who had strange problems (probably with an old kernel), this works like a charm with DD's script. I have done this several times and no issues along the line of Fut1i1ity's.

Already answered yes on that. And obviously as I said before you cant install snow leopard kexts on leopard.

Okay, that's good news. So I can format a USB flash drive with GUID and run DD's script options 2 and 3 than move the /System/Library/Extra folder on my currently running system to /System/Library/Extra on the flash drive.

Now I can boot a drive from my mac in my hack if I boot from the USB drive?

One of my hackintosh rigs has two GTX 260's. OSX sees them as two separate cards, so you can drive multiple monitors, but there is no "SLI" support for faster GPU processing.

So i ran the scrip on my macbook pro and got to step 7, when i plug the drive into my pc running the ud5, the pin wheel spins for about 10min then says you need to restart your computer.

what did i do wrong?

What am i doing wrong?

I follow it 1-4 then i install os x from a retail dmg, and in install the combo update. i downloaded the files from op, and after os x and combo install i run 5 and 6.

i reboot and stick 'target drive' in my i7 machine.

I always get the crash "you need to restart your computer"

help!

Since this is retail, does boot camp work right?

My plan is ud5, i7 920, 6gb ram, 3x500gb, 3xgtx 260s (for windows)

Just to answer this (didn't notice that it had been)-- bootcamp won't work. It uses Apples boot ROM which doesn't exist on your hackintosh :) It's really too bad that even Win7 isn't more dual-boot friendly-- I do like how Leopard on an actual Mac handles multiple OS booting via bootcamp, no need for Windows to be on the first partition.

A little update on this situation... iChat freezes (although no restart) while Skype works fine. This is on the new f8f bios. There is something fishy going on with networking. I just ordered the Apple USB-Ethernet gizmo. I'll give this a try see if bandwidth-intensive apps become more stable...

Colddiver

Received the USB Ethernet adapter yesterday. I had to install drivers from here since only the Mac Book Air supports this adapter. After the reboot, everything worked fine. I played World of Warcraft for a few minutes and didn't experience the restart problem. I will try iChat when I have a chance and play a little more but so far, so good.

I will see how this adapter behaves on the Windows side today.

Colddiver

Hi everybody,

First of all, the installation works great! This script really is a big step in bringing hackintosh to the more "normal" people because it's so easy and there isn't any code hacking or something involved. So, thank you Digital_Dreamer ;).

Allright, now, back to business :). I have a 1 TB drive and 2 500 GB drives. I installed Macintosh on my 1 TB drive and now want to have a raid of the 2 500 GB drives and i wanna have my time machine backups on this 1 TB raid (I'm planning on using Raid 0 for this).

1) is this possible?

2) If yes, can i just set this raid up with Disk Utility on macintosh or do I have to do something else for this?

It's not bad if I need to use the white GSATA ports for this because I don't use sleep :wacko:.

You should be able to set up a RAID 0 from the disk utility just give it a go if you want to find out or you can hardware raid it from the White GSATA.

If you do use the GSATA hardware raid I'd suggest actually creating it on the Blue SATA (ICH10) ports because that will allow you to set the block size. You can then move it across to the White GSATA and it will work fine with Windows and Mac.

Got a few more touches I need to do and I'll release it for beta testing.

Did anyone notice that a x86_64 version of the RealtekR1000 kext was released? We'll getting there.

best regards,

MAJ

Hey, did you make any progress with your beta script for Snow Leopard? Have all weekend off and dying to test it. I saw netkas released a new EFI for gigabyte users.

Cheers for all the great work!

Hy,

is there a solution for the firewire "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

issue?

Thanks

LEN

this question is often asked. It's only a warning: FW works (not fullspeed but it works)

Hy,

is there a solution for the firewire "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure"

issue?

Thanks

LEN

This is a rather minor issue that only affects full bandwidth. Most users would never know the difference. However, the issue is gone in Snow Leopard.

I understand that the dsdt patcher has to be installed on the i7 system. Does the kernel and kext installer have to be installed on the i7 as well?

No. Only the DSDT patch needs to be installed using the target system, because it must gather hardware info to compile.

regards,

MAJ

Hey, did you make any progress with your beta script for Snow Leopard? Have all weekend off and dying to test it. I saw netkas released a new EFI for gigabyte users.

Cheers for all the great work!

Yes! I think I'll finally release it tonight.

Don't have EFI boot implemented, yet, but it's loaded with features.

I'll throw in the new Chameleon 2 RC2 (r638) while I'm at it.

regards,

MAJ