[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

I did the 1st install on my usb drive and repeated the process on the sata drive.

One thing to check is make sure your sata drives are set for achi and you are using the intel controller.

FYi.. by defaut for some reason Apple decided not to show hard drives on the desktop. got o finder preferences and put a check mark in Hard disks under "show these items on the desktop:"

Drive was in the red port lol, swapped it to the black for the intel controller, AHCI was already on, reloading....

Hi, guys. I'm extremely grateful for all the hard work that's been put into this!

I need to confirm the RAID capabilities of the UD5 before I purchase my hardware. People have had success with RAID 0, but does RAID 5 also work? Only on blue ports? I've read through a lot of the thread and couldn't find an answer (and thread search is spotty). Having only 6 drives available for RAID instead of 10 could mean the difference between a full- or mid-ATX case...

I've been cleaning up the wiki article that summarizes this thread and put a request in there but it hasn't been updated. Any advise I get will go into that wiki.

Hey all,

I am excited about the official SL release and hope to see a new script by DD soon. I have been running Retail OSX 10.5.7 on the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 for some time now without a problem -very stable. Thanks DD! But recently I had a problem while converting some RAW photos in PS CS4. My screen locked up and had these bizarre vertical white lines with red dots along the sides. I don't know what these are or how to fix them. This has happened twice before and I want to rectify the problem before the move to SL. Here is a picture

http://www.marcoantonio.com/IM/_MG_2990_1266.jpg

http://www.marcoantonio.com/IM/_MG_2993_1269.jpg

when this happens I have no control over the computer and have to reboot. :P

My first thought is that I need a better video card or more powerful PSU (I do have 5 1TB drives attached). I have no problem getting them I am just unsure if that is the problem here. I dont want to buy one or both and have the problem persist. It is annoying. Has anyone else run into this?

I created an EFI string for my Video Card and it has been working well with the exception of this anomaly which happens sometimes when working on photos and when the screen saver is on.

Any thoughts? Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

I need to confirm the RAID capabilities of the UD5 before I purchase my hardware. People have had success with RAID 0, but does RAID 5 also work? Only on blue ports? I've read through a lot of the thread and couldn't find an answer (and thread search is spotty). Having only 6 drives available for RAID instead of 10 could mean the difference between a full- or mid-ATX case...

RAID only works on the white ports but using any of the white ports will result in your computer being unable to enter sleep. I run RAID 0 on the white Jmicron but I don't know if it will run a RAID 5 or not. Options available are RAID 0, 1, which are obvious and also Big (JBOD) and Normal (Port Multiplier). I don't know what these last 2 options are.

I haven't upgraded to 10.6 yet so I can only vouch for 10.5.8 but it's unlikely that anything in this regard has changed. I do know that some people buy RAID controllers separately to setup RAID with this hardware.

PS. The Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 cases are great value for money and have plenty of space for hard drives. Even the S (small) model is fine.

Hey all,

I am excited about the official SL release and hope to see a new script by DD soon. I have been running Retail OSX 10.5.7 on the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 for some time now without a problem -very stable. Thanks DD! But recently I had a problem while converting some RAW photos in PS CS4. My screen locked up and had these bizarre vertical white lines with red dots along the sides. I don't know what these are or how to fix them. This has happened twice before and I want to rectify the problem before the move to SL. Here is a picture

http://www.marcoantonio.com/IM/_MG_2990_1266.jpg

http://www.marcoantonio.com/IM/_MG_2993_1269.jpg

when this happens I have no control over the computer and have to reboot. :)

My first thought is that I need a better video card or more powerful PSU (I do have 5 1TB drives attached). I have no problem getting them I am just unsure if that is the problem here. I dont want to buy one or both and have the problem persist. It is annoying. Has anyone else run into this?

I created an EFI string for my Video Card and it has been working well with the exception of this anomaly which happens sometimes when working on photos and when the screen saver is on.

Any thoughts? Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

It does have to do with the graphics card. I have the gtx + version of that card and I get errors like that when I view things in cover flow and when I have a crazy screensaver as well as various other times. I have tried different instal methods but none of them worked. Not sure of a fix at the moment.

It does have to do with the graphics card. I have the gtx + version of that card and I get errors like that when I view things in cover flow and when I have a crazy screensaver as well as various other times. I have tried different instal methods but none of them worked. Not sure of a fix at the moment.

Thanks a lot! I thought it might. I will go out and get a new one. One with native Snow Leopard support. It's frustrating because other than that the rig has been pretty solid!

Thanks for your help...

(Darn. Had a decent post and Safari quit. ;) )

Download: X58 Mobo Patch Installer v4.0 RC

Snow Leopard ready.

Running out of time and I know some of you guys are anxious, so here's the Release Candidate. When I get more time, I'll start the other thread.

Script supports both EFI boot and /Extra install methods. You can install EFI over a /Extra install and back in just a couple minutes, not counting boot times. For EFI boot, the EFI partition is set active automatically and the proper UUID is added to the boot plist. Additionally, the script will detect if you have a previous install that may be incompatible, like a previous EFI install with a UUID pointing to your current install. In such cases, you'll be prompted to erase/delete partition/directory.

Main install method:

1. Install PC-EFI v10 bootloader
  2. Install OS X
  3. Run Kext/Kernel Installer
  4. (script automatically selects the proper kext source directory based on the target install, as you'll notice a Kexts_10.5 folder and Kexts_10.6 folder)
  5. If installing from Leopard, all x86_64 kexts are installed to /System by default, because 64-bit boot caches cannot be built by leopard.
  6. Run DSDT patcher for the CMOS reset fix
  7. Boot into SL
  8. Quickly disable Spotlight
    • In Terminal, type
    • sudo mdutil -a -i off

• Or, you can turn it off via Systems Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy by dragging the volume icons to window. Note that at startup, such volumes are not visible on the desktop and must be turned on first.
    • All this must be done quickly or you'll get a mdworker KP.

[*]Run script and select Kext/Kernel Installer

[*]Toggle the kexts in Misc Patches from /System to /Extra by typing in their numbers. (8 Enter, 9 Enter, 10 Enter, 11 Enter)

[*]Many audio related kexts do not work in /Extra, so make sure they are installed in /System.

[*]Hit Enter and reboot

[*]After boot, you can re-enable Spotlight now:

[*]

sudo mdutil -a -i on

Optional install tip:

The reason for many of the KPs is due to not having a proper boot cache built prior to the boot. So, a boot cache can be built in Single-User mode to get around this issue. The script has made this even easier. When you enter the Kext/Kernel Installer, the script creates a shell alias that can be used to build the cache.

1. Enter Single-User mode (-s)
  2. Mount root volume (type: /sbin/mount -uw /)
  3. Type 'buildcache'
  4. This will build the cache in both /Extra and the System/Library/Caches.../Startup directories. This works for the EFI partition, too!
  5. After completion, type 'reboot'.

best of wishes,

MAJ

EDIT:

I should mention that the included Audio EFI strings are merely experimental. They are valid EFI strings, but the actual perimeters (Codex, Layout ID, and Pin Configurations) may not be valid and have not been tested. You are free to include your own via import or adding them to the Strings_Setup.plist in /~extra/Resources, following the specifications provided.

(Darn. Had a decent post and Safari quit. ;) )

Snow Leopard ready.

Running out of time and I know some of you guys are anxious, so here's the Release Candidate. When I get more time, I'll start the other thread.

Script supports both EFI boot and /Extra install methods. You can install EFI over a /Extra install and back in just a couple minutes, not counting boot times. For EFI boot, the EFI partition is set active automatically and the proper UUID is added to the boot plist. Additionally, the script will detect if you have a previous install that may be incompatible, like a previous EFI install with a UUID pointing to your current install. In such cases, you'll be prompted to erase/delete partition/directory.

Main install method:

2. Install OS X
  4. (script automatically selects the proper kext source directory based on the target install, as you'll notice a Kexts_10.5 folder and Kexts_10.6 folder)
  5. If installing from Leopard, all x86_64 kexts are installed to /System by default, because 64-bit boot caches cannot be built by leopard.
  7. Boot into SL
    • In Terminal, type
    • sudo mdutil -a -i off

• Or, you can turn it off via Systems Preferences/Spotlight/Privacy by dragging the volume icons to window. Note that at startup, such volumes are not visible on the desktop and must be turned on first.

[*]Toggle the kexts in Misc Patches from /System to /Extra by typing in their numbers. (8 Enter, 9 Enter, 10 Enter, 11 Enter)

[*]Many audio related kexts do not work in /Extra, so make sure they are installed in /System.

[*]Hit Enter and reboot

Optional install tip:

The reason for many of the KPs is due to not having a proper boot cache built prior to the boot. So, a boot cache can be built in Single-User mode to get around this issue. The script has made this even easier. When you enter the Kext/Kernel Installer, the script creates a shell alias that can be used to build the cache.

3. Type 'buildcache'
  4. This will build the cache in both /Extra and the System/Library/Caches.../Startup directories. This works for the EFI partition, too!

best of wishes,

MAJ

Awesome work MAJ once again you come through for us all. Goes without saying your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Hi my name is mcloki I'm a new member.

Trying to build a Hackintosh.

i7 920 and the GA EX58 u5d motherboard. ATI 4780 1 gig Sapphire

I'm going to try and use DD method to install 10.7

I'm doing it from a MacBook Pro.

I've attached a hard drive to the USB port.

Partitioned it into one big 500 gig

and I'll post my results here.

Just one question. Do I need to reset the permissions on all the installed kexts if I use the script? Or does the script do that for me?

I installed everything. and loaded my hard drive into the hacintoah. started it up.

Up came Chameleon.

the hackintosh desktop picture showed up

Then Fail

I got the spinning sytem and a little circle slash icon (like the put in no smoking) it's stuck on that.

I must have missed a step.

Can anyone help

Thanks.

trying your new method. I have the Snow leopard disk. it's 10:30 why not.

I'm going to try this tonight. I was using the 10.7 install method but falling short. Now I'll try this new method. I have the retail Snow Leopard disk and it's installing right now. Should be 45 minutes for the install. I'll post my success or failure. and then update tonight and tomorrow.

i7 920, ga ex58-ud5, 6 gigs of OCZ ddr3 ram, ati Sapphire 4870 1 gig.

Trying it out right now. Will report on progress over the next few hours.

i7 920, GA EX58 UD5, 6 gigs of OCzDDR3 RAM, ATI Sapphire 1 gig 4870

First time my OSX SL install quit just before finishing. Am trying again.

Awesome work MAJ once again you come through for us all. Goes without saying your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Am trying it right now. Had an install failure during install. Happen during the print drivers. Trying to install without any print drivers.

Hey everyone! Need major major help! I need to know which wireless PCI card I can go for that will run with OS X 10.5.7/10.6.

My setup:

Intel Core i7-950

OCZ 12GB DDR3-1600

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

The other little help I need is to find nVidia drivers. I have the non-mac (/standard) edition nVidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB graphics card.

In need of urgent help with the wireless issue.

Hope to hear from someone really soon.

Thanks in advance :D

In terms of graphics drivers the first place I'd check is netkas but I've read some people here don't like them for specific NVIDIA cards.

I'm using a Netgear WG111 v3 wireless USB stick. It works really well in 10.5.8. I just had to download drivers from the Netgear website.

I can't say with any certainty whether it will work in 10.6 because, like many of the people in this thread, I haven't yet upgraded to SL. Your probably going to have alot of trouble finding quick support here for 10.6 stuff since there hasn't been much time for people to upgrade and those that have are probably busy fine tuning their own installations.

Hey guys,

I wonder if anyone have the same big delay in the graphic screen of Chameleon2 (but it was also with rc1). Changing options in menu is very slow and also typing text for extra flags is almost impossible because of delay.

Is there a solution for this?

This is my config:

GA-EX58-UD5

Core i7 920 CPU

6 GB OCZ MEMORY

XFX 8800GT 512MB

Chameleon 2 running 10.5.8

BiTRiP-

HI DD,

New install method not working for me, KP on fsck on first boot (no flags)

Edit : x32 does work :(

Edit 2 : boot in x64 after toggle and rebuilt works :D

Edit 3 : after toggling misc patches, I get black screen after boot, I assume this is video card related (GTX280). Change to 7300GT fixed this for now :D

Edit 4 : x64 no networking or sound (haven't tried any patch yet), and only 1024x768 video out of the box (will start with getting that fixed)

Hey guys,

I just want to throw something into the SL 64 Bit discussion.

All Apple computers except Xserve are running the 32 bit kernel by default.

It is able to run all 64 bit applications and has no downsides as far as I can see it.

So why bother forcing SL to use the 64 bit kernel when there is no use, only more problems with extensions?

Unless someone points out a true advantage of using the 64 bit kernel, I will stick with the "Mac Pro"-default 32 bit kernel.

Cheers,

Chris

Great to see the new script's ready, nice work DD. I have a couple of questions though;

1. Why is it that Spotlight needs to be disabled?
  2. Are the current set of kexts not compatible with the 64-bit kernel?
  3. Can I install SL using the 'upgrade' disc?

Thanks!

OK, I've got a noob question : can't get my GTX280 to work on Snow Leopard.

I've used DD's new script (as mentioned in my previous post) but only get black screens using GTX280. I can boot using 7300GT in x32 (fully functional), in X64 only 1024x768. TO accomplish this I had to remove ATY.kext from the extra folder and toggle it to system/library/extensions.

So my (noob) questions :

- how do I get gtx280 to work : add to hex to plist I suppose, but how to do it in SL, and can I do it while using 7300GT ?

- I've seen a plist for GTX280 in DD's extra folder in the patch 4 folder, but how can I install this and will it work ?

- how can I get 7300GT to work in x64 mode ?

A lot of questions, but I'm really not at home in this area. Someone ?

(Darn. Had a decent post and Safari quit. :( )

Snow Leopard ready.

Main install method:

2. Install OS X
  7. Boot into SL
    • In Terminal, type
    • sudo mdutil -a -i off

[*]Hit Enter and reboot

Optional install tip:

3. Type 'buildcache'

best of wishes,

MAJ

Hi MAJ,

Just wanted to thank you for the script. I tried this out on my UD5 and it works great now with Snow Leopard.

Thanks again!

OK, I've got a noob question : can't get my GTX280 to work on Snow Leopard.

I've used DD's new script (as mentioned in my previous post) but only get black screens using GTX280. I can boot using 7300GT in x32 (fully functional), in X64 only 1024x768. TO accomplish this I had to remove ATY.kext from the extra folder and toggle it to system/library/extensions.

So my (noob) questions :

- how do I get gtx280 to work : add to hex to plist I suppose, but how to do it in SL, and can I do it while using 7300GT ?

- I've seen a plist for GTX280 in DD's extra folder in the patch 4 folder, but how can I install this and will it work ?

- how can I get 7300GT to work in x64 mode ?

A lot of questions, but I'm really not at home in this area. Someone ?

I have a GTX285 and all I needed to do was copy my com.apple.boot.plist from my regular Leopard install (10.5.7). I have the EFI string in it. I didn't install any of the video kexts.

Booted up just fine, played around with the QuickTime X and all the graphics ran nice and smooth.

I am not sure about the plist in DD's extra folder, never used it. And I have no idea about 7300.

Hope that helps.

@utya

I followed the guide on this site. I didn't use OSx86 to make my efi strings.

Aquamac

I also looked through this post, it talks about setting up 200 series cards in OSX

GeForce 200 series support

I tried using the Netkas kext, but I never got QE/CI working. I ended up using only the EFI string and the NVidia drivers for the EVGA 285 and I got QE/CI working.

(Darn. Had a decent post and Safari quit. :( )

Snow Leopard ready.

best of wishes,

MAJ

Thanks Maj!! I used your other script to load 10.5.7 and Win 7. I'm looking forward to trying out your latest.

I have a GTX285 and all I needed to do was copy my com.apple.boot.plist from my regular Leopard install (10.5.7). I have the EFI string in it. I didn't install any of the video kexts.

Booted up just fine, played around with the QuickTime X and all the graphics ran nice and smooth.

I am not sure about the plist in DD's extra folder, never used it. And I have no idea about 7300.

Hope that helps.

Hello would you mind posting your GFX string a friend has the same setup as mine except for I have a 9800 GTX+ and he has the GTX285 and I am going to make an image of my drive and change the GFX string and upload it to him.

Thanks