[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Apple ICH10 (Blue port) RAID driver doesn't exist. Therefore making it currently impossible to read/write to any RAID connected to the Blue port while booted in OSX.

White JMicron RAID works in OSX. I'm typing this from 10.5.8 using a RAID 0 boot on JMicron. You could put all your RAID stuff onto JMicron but I saw someone post here recently asking if 10.6 fixed the problem with not being able to recognise more than 2 JMicron ports. Not sure whether that is an issue or not for this kind of setup since I only use 2 HD on my RAID.

I will share my experiences too...

Installed Snow Leo retail today from Snow Developer Preview I already had. This enabled me to build the boot caches immediately and to avoid the KP that some reported here. I modified DD's install with the following:

- used fakesmc instead of dsmos

- migrated my boot.plist from 10.5.7, used my previously working EFI string for my GTX285 and did not install any graphics drivers

- also migrated my DSDT and smbios from my Snow DP partition

- Tried VoodooHDA for sound with no success, will switch to the kext provided with the script

- I'm using the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter and this works without any external drivers on 10.6

- Will install SleepEnabler before next reboot

I was unable to install on the EFI partition. No matter what I tried, and despite the script telling me that the bootloader install worked, the EFI partition remained empty. I tried a few thing, even to install on another empty partition and then clone this partition to the mounted EFI and nothing worked (script always complained that /Extra folder was missing). I gave up, reformatted, reinstalled 10.6 and installed on the main partition.

I rebooted in 64-bit without any issues aside from sound not working.

Colddiver

Update on my setup... I got sound working in 64-bit using the DSDT patch documented here with the ALC889a.kext.

With SleepEnabler, I now have sleep working perfectly.

Looks like my GTX285 is also fully supported as an OpenCL device.

Bottom line: everything works and in 64-bit too!

EDIT: everything works except EFI bootloader setup...

Colddiver

Update on my setup... I got sound working in 64-bit using the DSDT patch documented here with the ALC889a.kext.

Colddiver

I have a ud5 running Snow leopard fine in 32bit mode, but would prefer to have a setup that was 64bit capable as well.

Re the 64bit sound fix above, i got sound working in 32bit by moving AppleHDA.kext & HDAEnabler.kext to System from Extra, if I use the dsdt patch and ALA889a.kext above, do I need to remove/move either of the original sound kexts?

If I get that working then all I need for full 64bit is the Realtek1000 64 bit problems to be resolved.

Cheers

Jon

Colddiver

With 141 pages of updates could I request that you start a new tutorial limited to just Snow Leopard (10.6) for GA-EX58-UD5?

Thanks to All who have made the GA-EX58-UD5/i7 the best Mac I have ever had.

I have a ud5 running Snow leopard fine in 32bit mode, but would prefer to have a setup that was 64bit capable as well.

Re the 64bit sound fix above, i got sound working in 32bit by moving AppleHDA.kext & HDAEnabler.kext to System from Extra, if I use the dsdt patch and ALA889a.kext above, do I need to remove/move either of the original sound kexts?

If I get that working then all I need for full 64bit is the Realtek1000 64 bit problems to be resolved.

Cheers

Jon

If you use the DSDT fix described above, all you need is the ALC889a.kext. You can safely remove VoodooHDA or HDAEnabler and AppleHDA.

I believe you are correct that the only remaining roadblock on your way to 64-bit will be the network drivers. On my end, I just dodge the issue with the very inexpensive Apple USB Ethernet adapter. I am not noticing any drop in network performance using this setup so for me, getting rid of another external kext was certainly worth the expense. The adapter only worked with the Mac Book Air under 10.5 (needed external drivers) but is now supported on all Mac models under 10.6.

Colddiver

Hi all,

Hope you can help me out. I have a DFI lan party JR X58 T3H6 and have been running 10.5.8 with DDs script perfect. I tried out the 10.6 script and here is what I did. This is a 10.6 install over an existing perfectly working 10.5.8 DD script install.

update

i found out my boot problem was because of my graphics card (ATI 3870 pc and mac edition) as soon as i deleted ATI2000.kext i booted into SL without any problems. howver resolution only till 2048x1152.

1) Ran DD's Script

2) Chose Efi Method (Method 2)

3) Installed Bootloader (PC-EFi v10.2)

4) Made partition active

5) Installed OSX 10.6 Golden Master

6) Ran Kext Installer

Audio: None

Graphics: Natit

Networking: None

ATA:

AppleintelPIXATA.kext , IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATA.Kext

Misc Patches:

Dsmos.kext, NULLCpupowermanagement.kext

OpenHaltREstart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

7) Ran DSDT patcher

8) Reboot (upon reboot, it will show "Updating boot cache" but it will never finish and i have to do a hard shutdown) and this has happened like 20 out of 25 times i tried installing

That's my boot menu picture when i type -s -x32

post-403177-1251896220_thumb.jpg

My Computer Specs

Mobo: Dfi Lan Party JR T3H6 X58

Graphics: ATI Radeon 3870 PC and Mac Edition

Ram: 12Gb

Harddrive 1: 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda partitioned 500GB for OS 10.5.8 install, 1TB for just stuff

Harddrive 2: 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda partitoned 120GB for maintanence OS 10.5.8, 1.4TB for just stuff

(Both HDs are formatted HFS journaled with GUID)

Wireless: Mvix Nubbin Wireless N USB adapter (I never hear a mention on this, but i have this and it works with drivers supplied by manufacturer. It's really small (choking hazard warning even!) and it's really powerful and works like a charm

*NOte* in the past i had problems installing DD's 10.5.7 script because the bootloader didn't read 1.5TB hard drives. So that's why i partitioned them, and i actually do prefer them partitioned.

Sound: Apogee Rosetta. Apogee Ensemble

Bios set Overclock to 4.0GHZ running at 39C idle

Trials and Errors with Snow Leopard install using DD's script

1) Tried main install method 1 (extras folder method)

Result: Kernel Panic

2) Tried to boot with boot flag -x32 (efi partition method)

Result: Grey Screen of Death or Funny Grey and White screen (looks like Graphic Driver Problem)

3) Formatting drive to 1 GUID partition and install 10.6 (efi partion method) boot with -x32

Result: Picture above if boot with -x32 -s and endless circle boot if just boot with -x32

4) Formatting drive to 1 GUID partition and instaling 10.5.8 (efi partition method) and then installing 10.6 on top of that boot with -x32

Result: Picture above if boot with -x32 -s and endless circle boot if just boot with -x32

5) Removed Natit kext and use Aty kext

6) Tried installation with DVD instead of DMG file

Same Result

7) Unplugging all USB and Firewire Devices Except for Mouse and Keyboard

Since it looked like a USB problem that's what i did, but it still will not boot in to OS 10.6. It gets stuck somewhere, i'll post a picture of this when i get the chance.

Other Issues

Getting Installed Failed when installing 10.6

Resolved it by unchecking Translation Fonts and Printer Drivers and install will proceed to be successful.

Things I had made sure I did correctly

1) Loading correct bootloader

I had set different bootloader themes so i know that i am loading to correct bootloader each time. DD's new Pci efi 10 bootloader will boot both 10.5.8 and 10.6 but Chameleon RC2 will not boot 10.6, i get KP if i use that.

2) Current Retail OSX 10.6 DMG (made it myself) is working

Tested on Imac and Macpro and installed beautiful

What I am trying to Achieve

I am trying to install 10.6 to my 10.5.8 test and maintenance drive to simulate the protocol and when i have suceeded and everything works, i will do it on my real working 10.5.8 hard drive. I am trying to avoid a clean install as i have so many programs to re-install back it's ridiculous.

DD or anybody... help! I need the meastros to help me! :(

With 141 pages of updates could I request that you start a new tutorial limited to just Snow Leopard (10.6) for GA-EX58-UD5?

a new forum will be created as soon as DD thinks that his script has not a beta status any more

I've been having many problems as well. I upgraded my 10.5.7 to 10.6, used the new script, and havent been able to boot since. KP or just hanging... Will usually hang at Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X.kext.

Tired all of the fixes/steps here on the forum... Chameleon, EFI, /Extras, S/L/E...

Obvioulsy bumbed, will have to reinstall 10.5, and then install all my apps again :/

A

Obvioulsy bumbed, will have to reinstall 10.5, and then install all my apps again :/

you should install SL on HD "fresh" formatted with only 1 partition.

By the way: Do you know the word "backup" :whistle:

Why didn't you make a backup from your Leopard?

One word of caution about the realtek kext noted in other fora, It overwrites stuff in the io networking family kext so back up your S/L/E before installing it in case you need to go back.

I made my own DSDT following King's guide but didn't actually use it. The one output be the script seems to function okay though I noticed the audio section in it is AZAL and not HDEF. One problem I have is that if you try to boot with something plugged into the front headphone jack the system hangs. Not a big deal but that would be nice to fix.

Cold Diver, can you confirm that the DSDT patch does the same as DD's script? All outputs, auto detect on front jack, etc? IF so could you post the HDEF section from your DSDT.dsl here fro comparison. Thanks again and all hail Digital Dreamer for his generosity and his mad skillz.

Any hints on how to hide the usually hidden system folders and aliases at the root on my snow leopard install? I know of
sudo chflags

but this doesn't seem to get rid of aliases...

Running the BSD package will allow for permissions to be run by Disk Utility. To hide all those extraneous files (including the mach_kernel), I re-installed SL onto a new drive while running on the current SL drive. It's a pain to have to do it that way, but only takes less than 10 minutes. Of course, you have to have a spare drive to do that with. I then did the same thing for the first SL drive.

I just thought I'd share my slightly different Snow Leopard install method.

I started with the 10.6 retail DVD, and used DD's 4.0 script. It required a combination of using Leopard (on my hackintosh) and Snow Leopard (on my mac).

I started by doing the usual one partition (GUID), and running the script from Leopard on it. I selected the first option (with /Extra), and installed Chameleon rc2 on it (not EFI 10).

From there, I moved the drive to my mac and installed Snow Leopard to the drive, ran the kext installer (with no changes), and rebuild boot caches.

I then moved the drive back to my hackintosh and ran the DSDT patcher, and booted into snow leopard with the flag arch=i386. I disabled spotlight, reran the kext installer from snow leopard, and rebuild boot caches. After a reboot, I removed the voodooHDA kext from the script folder and replaced it with the 889a.kext, which works perfectly. So far, I still need to try the sleepenabler.kext, but it seems to be booting perfectly fine with just chameleon. Of course, there isn't any 64-bit networking, but 32-bit works fine.

Sorry to keep asking questions on here, but I'm so close to getting this working and I really hope one of you guys can just help me out a little bit more.

I got through Digital_dreamers script and I updated Drive 1 (Kalyway is on Drive 2) to 10.5.8. I booted into it ONCE and only once using the -x flag (safe boot). Each time I try and boot in I get a grey screen of death (the one that says "You must restart your computer" in many different languages). I was only able to get in once, and every other try I got the grey screen of death once the spinning wheel appears below the apple on start up.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Should I try re-installing it again?

I really hope someone can help me, you guys have been so helpful so far.

Thanks in advance!

If you use the DSDT fix described above, all you need is the ALC889a.kext. You can safely remove VoodooHDA or HDAEnabler and AppleHDA.

I believe you are correct that the only remaining roadblock on your way to 64-bit will be the network drivers. On my end, I just dodge the issue with the very inexpensive Apple USB Ethernet adapter. I am not noticing any drop in network performance using this setup so for me, getting rid of another external kext was certainly worth the expense. The adapter only worked with the Mac Book Air under 10.5 (needed external drivers) but is now supported on all Mac models under 10.6.

Colddiver

Thanks very much, will try, it out.

Jon

This is why DD created his script, he cares about us i7'ers, just relax and use BlackOSX's guide if you give up and need an alternative solution (but use the DSDT.aml from DD's script, its pre-hacked!).

I meant to say "tried all of the fixes" I'm just bummed that I cant boot, no big deal though! I love what DD has done, in the meantime I'll just go back to 10.5.8... its time for a fresh install anyway. I'm sure DD 4.0 script will mature in the coming weeks.

Hey guys! I got SL installed. I ended up using a SL install on my laptop to update boot caches. I would get a KP before I could do it in single user mode.

Boots fine in 64 bit. LAN shows up but only self assigned and Audio is not working. Hopefully DD has a easy fix for this... I've read through some of the DSDT patching info and nearly went crosseyed. I'm sure I could figure it out, but its pretty involved to say the least.

Hey guys! I got SL installed. I ended up using a SL install on my laptop to update boot caches. I would get a KP before I could do it in single user mode.

Boots fine in 64 bit. LAN shows up but only self assigned and Audio is not working. Hopefully DD has a easy fix for this... I've read through some of the DSDT patching info and nearly went crosseyed. I'm sure I could figure it out, but its pretty involved to say the least.

Can you do a step by step? I have SL running on a mini and 10.5.7 running on a build like yours (including GPU)

Hi all,

I've managed to boot into 64bit, with full network/audio/gfx support.

Audio: DSDT-patch and alc889a.kext in /Extra (Bios: F8)

Network: RealtekR1000.kext in /S/L/E

Gfx: efi-string

Used ChameleonRC2.. It all works, even bonjour (only in 64bit though) and dhcp.

My board is a ga-ex58-extreme, so YMMV..

Mike_sKexts.zip

screenshot20090902at215.png

Two questions:

I'm installing clean vanilla snow leopard without use of any scripts. Do you prefer to use Chameleon RC1 or RC2 (with netkas boot 10.2)?

Second:

I'm not able to run install dvd without giving option -x32, it boots and then get a grey screen with mouse.

If i do boot with -x32 option then I get a perfect installer. Is that normal or should it also working WITHOUT the option? But how?

Thanks

BiTRiP

(Darn. Had a decent post and Safari quit. ;) )

Download: X58 Mobo Patch Installer v4.0 RC

Snow Leopard ready.

Thanks again DD for the script. i used your earlier one to install 10.5.8 on my UD5, but when I try to install SL it will tell me that "some of the files could not be installed". I'm using the upgrade SL disk, so I don't think its a problem there. Is there something i'm missing... possibly w/ the BIOS settings? Thanks,

Schizo