Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

I've got the same problem as 184200 :

update 10.4.6 by two ways, same result : manualy updating with pacifist or "PB 148Mo update" :

the boot OK, all right like before under 10.4.5 (with -v)

but blue screen -> black screen -> blue screen after : no login_window appears ....

Is it due to no good login_window replacement from decrypted_files ??????

Has someone else the same problem ???? any idea how to make 10.4.6 working ??

Thank's a lot for your help !

I'm looking for the jas solution, please help !!!!

Zazman.

Looking through the files replaced by this update, I notice that /etc/rc is one of them. People using the np_ beta Nvidia drivers who added kextload commands to the beginning of their /etc/rc file will probably need to make the same edits again to the /etc/rc file after completing the update.

I've got the same problem as 184200 :

update 10.4.6 by two ways, same result : manualy updating with pacifist or "PB 148Mo update" :

the boot OK, all right like before under 10.4.5 (with -v)

but blue screen -> black screen -> blue screen after : no login_window appears ....

Is it due to no good login_window replacement from decrypted_files ??????

Has someone else the same problem ???? any idea how to make 10.4.6 working ??

Thank's a lot for your help !

I'm looking for the jas solution, please help !!!!

Zazman.

Danica_Talos, cyclonefr,

...i have the PFS working but into control panel u cannot select to start the share...right?

i can control the "start" "stop" in control panel now. :D

changed 3 files in /sbin, and either replaced two frameworks in /System/Library/Frameworks, or it was changing the .plist in one of them, that allowed the controls to be "ungreyed".

someone could figure it out, from the info above, but if i posted the exact files or frameworks, and plists', someone would use them without thinking, and it would kill their cat or something.

no one else will have to, but i will do it from the beginning to test before including it in the guide, when i come back home.

------------------------------------------------------

TokinDerrick,184200,zazman, i think, unless you've installed with some offbrand dvd, that you've skipped or missed a step in the directions. take no offense. i've made so many mistakes and screwed up so many times installing the simplest things, i think i can say that to you without coming across like an arrogant {censored}. :D remember to only ask your question once. don't despair. :)

jonajona, congratulations! really happy you stuck with it! :)

to everyone, i'm not going to add how to get the ATI and other drivers into this guide. the purpose will remain, updating from your "fully" working system to a fully working 10.4.6, with as few changes from the apple update as possible.

QUIXOS i dont get a word of what u said...u dont remember which file u changed right? a full step by step install will be ready tommorow that's it?

ive copied the whole 4 files that have changed in 10.4.6 from 10.4.4 and still PFS in grey... and also the 2 frameworks : AppleShare and AppleShareCore

do u have a clue? thanx

in response to quixos on the last page i was merely asking if there was any real valid reason to update like will it be faster would ati work fully and proper that was what i was meaning by asking is it worth the headache .....

but since i got no valid response here i just updated anyway outr of curiosity and by chance i find its actually a lot faster so thanks anyway

curlyboy, i really wasn't trying to be vague. i didn't know if it would be "worth all the migraine at the mo" for you if indeed you were happy with your present setup. for myself, i would go to any length to update this. for the other half of your question, though i felt it was working much faster on my system, i didn't feel like making any promises to anyone else. :D

from now one though, my official answer is, "10.4.6 will speed up your system, and it's worth updating." thanks! :D

--------------------------------------------------------

cyclonefr, i will speak clearly. :) yesterday i f*cked around with a bunch of files and folders. early a.m. i realized i'd gotten Personal File Sharing controls working. this morning, i posted that information. i'll figure out which file or files actually makes it work. and post the information, both here in this thread, and also in the guide. :)

you seem to be going in the same direction i did, you might have it figured out before i do. :)

Yeah... quixos.. thanks again.

And for everyone... a little testimony of mine.

My system is now a little faster than before (10.4.4). Everything seems to load really fast. I use camino for web surfing and I have to say that the flash pages are up to par with the windows side of things. They load pretty fast now.

So, once again... thanks to quixos for his time and effort. This is way better than patching the DVD as I don't have a DVD burner on my Laptop.

ok QUIXOS, i think im gonna wait for u with a full procedure cause im fed with this grey stuff i can tickle the box but then it comes back to grey...Anyway as it works it's not urgent just to be sure id like it the right way :) im waiting for ur test but as u have it working how will u notice what changed? eheh

Tried it twice with 10.4.4, but it hangs at the "Starting Mac OS X" window. The bar continues to load, but after it reaches the end, it just stays there. I made sure not to skip a step, and I did get an error when I was installing the 10.4.6 patch, something about Tftpboot... any way to get this fixed? Thanks.

(P4 2.8 SSE2&PAE)

just got in for good and have brewed some fine coffee. i'll find that Personal File Sharing file now. and put it here in the thread and in the guide.

---------------------------------------------------------

marz, 10.4.6 patch? do you mean the MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.6Intel.pkg from apple?

i've noticed that tftp boot thing before, but i had no problems with the applications i've used so ignored it. after i find this last file to include in the guide, i might look into other things.

Yeah, I meant that. I also tried using Maxxuss' 10.4.4 patch files, but came up with the same result =\.

Try booting in safe mode first and repair permissions. I noticed that last night. It actually didn't hang. It just took too long to boot. But all is well on my end. I updated a 10.4.4 machine. And now it's a little faster.

Personal File Sharing Test

strange thing, the link /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer was broken. if you've used this guide and cannot enable Personal File Sharing, i would appreciate it if, BEFORE you attempt this fix, to type into terminal...

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

then Force Quit your Finder, (go to the Apple on the Menubar, Force Quit, select Finder, and click on Relaunch. this will show Hidden Files.)

navigate to /usr/sbin in Finder,

double click AppleFileServer, if you get a box that has "Delete Alias" and "Fix Alias" in it, let me know.

to restore Hidden Files to the hidden state, type...

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Force Quit Finder to relaunch.

in my case, for some reason, the extraction from the official update somehow breaks this link. to fix it i deleted the broken link and made a new one.

sudo rm /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer

sudo ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleFileServer /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer

if you've tried to start Personal File Sharer previous to replacing the link, reboot after typing in those commands.

tell me that it is working etc. and i'll add it to the guide, in the single user mode section, those two lines, minus the sudo, and the guide will be done! right? :weight_lift:

----------------------------------------------------

colonels, it will affect your system, if you install the Intel Update on one of your PPC macs! :D if you're about to do something crazy, don't do it here! :D

I just tried that out, and I got that box. And when I tried to enable sharing it just kept going.

So I deleted the alias and made a new one following your steps, and now it works.

I can't figure why an official part of the update would break that feature, but at least it was an easy fix.

colonels1020, congrats, your sig made me nervous. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------

marz, are you using this guide to update from 10.4.4 to 10.4.6 on vmware? that really blows my mind! the purpose of this thread is to simply update your 4.4 or 4.5 working system to 4.6 and have everything working that already did.

you installing from an iso in the virtual cd drive and STILL get those SAM errors! we who install from DVD also get those errors. i thought it was a burning problem. that's interesting information. i don't know what to do with it yet, but interesting none the less.

good luck. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------

---------- FIX FOR BROKEN PERSONAL FILE SHARING------------

TO EVERYONE, to fix the broken Personal File Sharing, check out the guide, Edited bottom. for those who haven't used the guide yet, the information has been included in the directions.

Haha, no no no, I used this guide to install 10.4.6. The CD error was just so people wouldn't think that it's a new kind of error. I installed 10.4.6 natively. VMWare is great to check if it will boot up, which it won't.

I do want to try to go 10.4.4 -> 10.4.5, then 10.4.6, but it seems like a lot of work to go from 4 to 5. Maybe I'll try the 10.4.6 instructions again. Am I supposed to use the 10.4.5 patch files, or 10.4.4 to upgrade from 10.4.4? Thanks.

Quixos,

File Sharing is up and running per your instructions. Big Thanks! My observations with the 10.4.6 update is positive, I seem to get less beach balls.

I want to try the OpenGL framework from 10.4.6, I am using an Intel P4 3.2 with SSE3, will I have any issues? What does it break? I have an ATI x600 PCI-e (I also have the built-in GMA 900.) From what I have read is that it breaks the GMA 900 but it speeds up the ATI Card.

The reason I want to try it is not the speed increase, but to see if it fixes the mouse problems (full mouse tearing) after exiting a full OpenGL App or game.