Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

Since upgrate to 10.4.6 my system was slower as on 10.4.3/4/5

10.4.3. =72

10.4.4. =65

10.4.5. =63

10.4.6. =55

quixos has a idea...

only for User with LCD Monitor!

copy and paste the following into Terminal...

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

then reboot, run Xbench.

Now i have a Score of 76,63!!!

Try it!

184200,Tek_No, i'm going to move "update_prebinding" from single user to post boot, immediately.

for some, perhaps the majority, prebinding works without issue from single user mode, but if it can be run afterwards with no issues, and it appears it can, this is a no-brainer of a change. thy will, be done. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, don't just use the guide and go on with your happy lives! post feedback!

Update - nearly everything went smooth! I'm on 10.4.6 now. My update_prebinding -root / -force gave back some errors though. I don't think it did what it was supposed to. Is that essential? I'm able to boot up and use OSX without it. :(

marz, congratulations! "update_prebinding -root / -force", from within Terminal after reboot or right now for that matter. i suggest closing down other progams before you do it, to allow it to do it's business quicker. :P

prebinding is an important step after updating system files and libraries.

"update_prebinding tries to synchronize prebinding information for libraries and executables when new files are added to a system. Prebinding information is precalculated address information for libraries used by a given executable or library. By predetermining where a function in another library is destined to be placed, the dynamic linker does not have to resolve symbols at application startup time, and the application can launch faster."

below is a link to the page i obtained that excellent explanation above. :(

http://www.osxfaq.com/man/1/update_prebinding.ws

to everyone, you might have heard of the new Semjaza Decrypted Files.

they seem to be working great. :) as they have their own installer, i don't know if they need to be included in the guide.

if you incorporate them into your install, let me know. you can install them after you've updated to 4.6. if you like as well. until i include them in the guide, they are NOT my problem! :police:

Semjaza Decrypted Files work : approved, but as far as i know u cant install 10.4.6 then use this cause it doesnt include any kernel! that's weird! i think but not sure that extracting all the files from 10.4.6 without the kernel + Semjaza patch works great but he forgot to mention the guide! lol

the Semjaza Decrypted Files can be installed after updating to 10.4.6 with no issues.

i'll add them as a prerequisite for using the guide tomorrow, and add running his package, after the steps of repairing permissions, and update_prebinding.

I just installed the new decrypted file package, and had an odd screen upon the first reboot but it has not returned on subsequent boots. The screen was shifted about 100 pixels to the right, in jumpy 10 pixel steps, like something was trying to sync itself but couldn't. Whatever it is seems to fix itself before a second boot though. If it is useful info, I am running an NVidia FX5200Go with the np_ beta driver.

On another track, since this new decrypted file patch contains 2 files that end up in the frameworks folder, is it now safe to install all the new frameworks and run this patch, or should all the old frameworks still be copied back per the guide?

quixos . . . Yes, I just went back and reread your guide. I was mistakenly remembering all the framework files being backup versions. Sorry to be confusing things, and thank you for clearing that up so quickly.

First thank you to Quixos for excellent guide!

Second thank you to Semjaza for new files for .6 !

I have a fresh 10.4.4 install on asrock 775dual-915gl, intel 900gma, 1 300GB sata II drive,1 100GB PATA drive, 1 Pioner DVD-R, one pci firewire card, and pentium 4 3.2ghz prescot NX and SSE3

I Followed guide. First i backedup all the stuff i needed to from quixos guide. Next i installed the .6Combo update from apple via pacifist making sure not to install kernel. I then rebooted, hit f8 and passed -x -s at the boot prompt. I mounted the harddrive read write and replaced all backed up files. I also installed decrpyted files. Next i rebooted and walla. OS X 10.4.6 worked perfectly. I then installed Semjaza decrypted files so that i have the 5 new decrpyted files for .6 Thanks Semjaza i can already feel the impact of the newly decrpyted files. Thanks quixos for the excellent guide.

p.s. i think the strange graphic quirk related with new decryted files maybe due to a needed update_prebinding

cyclonefr, when i add Semjaza's Decrypted Files (and in future his kernel) to the guide, i'll have the package install from commandline in place of the Maxxuss Decrypted_Files steps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, a person can at this time, use the guide as written to update to 10.4.6, then update the Decrypted_Files using Semjaza's Decrypted Files. i'll make changes to the guide to incorporate these steps tonight after my day is done.

quixos,

The question I have about the Decrypted files is that Semjaza's Decrypted Files don't include Finder and several other files that ARE included in Maxxuss Decrypted Files. Are these files still needed? Or were they not included because they have not been changed since 10.4.4.?

Maxxuss' Decrypted Files are still needed at this time! Follow the guide. after updating to 10.4.6, you may use Semjaza v1.1 intel installer. i repeat, use the INTEL package installer! really quite fabulous. :angry:

if graphical tearing or strangeness occurs after the update, reboot again, and they will be gone. i think you might be right roofingboom, about the lack of prebinding being the cause.

will post more info here in the thread as it applies to the guide, and will add installing the his Decrypted Files to the guide, later tonight.

EDIT, Semjaza has not decrypted all the essential files. at this time you MUST follow the guide directions exactly, and install his files only after complete installation with the guide. Guide Page updated with Semjaza Daily Headline. :star_smile:

Using this method, my display won't go to a resolution beyond 1024x768 even forcing the changes in com.apple.boot.plist

I have an ATi x1600 pro with a modified ATIRadeonX1000.kext to recognise the card. any ideas?

melchior, were you able to use other resolutions before you updated following the directions in this guide exactly? the most important area of the guide is backing up and restoring your working drivers, the Extensions folder from 10.4.4/4.5, and rebooting with that instead of whatever tricked out kexts apple has decided to break osX86 with.

i'm not saying you can't update to later ATI drivers, but that, at this time, is on your own time. :poster_oops:

if you HAVE used the backed up Extensions folder, and the x1000 kexts that were working, don't work, definitely let me know! :)

melchior, were you able to use other resolutions before you updated following the directions in this guide exactly? the most important area of the guide is backing up and restoring your working drivers, the Extensions folder from 10.4.4/4.5, and rebooting with that instead of whatever tricked out kexts apple has decided to break osX86 with.

i'm not saying you can't update to later ATI drivers, but that, at this time, is on your own time. :poster_oops:

if you HAVE used the backed up Extensions folder, and the x1000 kexts that were working, don't work, definitely let me know! :)

thanks for the quick reply. I am using the whole 10.4.5 extensions folder, i.e. my older working extension where I had 1600x1200x32 going...

it's no big deal, i'll stick with my 10.4.5 for now... I might download the myzar dvd and see if that has the same result...

If I were to try the new ATi kexts which ones do I need? any thoughts? thanks

Edit:

Yes, I followed exactly as described. Going from a 10.4.3 install disc, using maxxuss method to get to 10.4.5 without the security patch.

As for patching for the ATi, al I do is go into the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents/Info.plist and add 0x71c21002 to the list of valid device ids...

Then add my chosen resolution to the com.apple.boot.plist file. That's it.

melchior, i need to know first if you followed the guide exactly. i did focus on the "importance" of the Extensions folder, shouldn't have, i clouded my question and didn't get the answer i needed.

the reason i'm being careful is that i've been burned a couple times, looking for solutions for hours, before eventually finding out, the directions really weren't followed exactly. so no distrust of you personally. ;)

a solid yes or no, on "did you follow the directions exactly." (apologies) and i'll work on finding the solution

i have a couple ATI cards myself, and will be upgrading mine. i also want this guide to be 100% working, and compatible with the koverg and omni patches and files, which isn't impossible! this isn't rocket science after all!

what method did you use to patch it? links? i'll have to find out about the x1600 cards etc. there is only one framework backed up the OpenGL.framework, all the others are 10.4.6. your working kexts haven't changed. yeah, i'll start looking into it now, cause i can't stop myself. :star_smile:

----------------------------------

melchior, to save this thread from being overrun by a conversation between us, edit your last post as i did above with ---- separating. if this is truly a difficult problem, and i don't know that it will take any more effort than googling. we can message.

-----------------------------------

to everyone, if you have experienced the same problem, and have solved it yourself, or if you update with the guide for the first time and experience this problem post about it, so i can fix it in the guide!

if anyone has any issues with Semjaza Decrypted Files i would like to hear it.

Semjaza package works fine for intel, for amd it's another story anyway Quixos je Semjaza package can be install after ur manual guide.

For the rest i advice u to see my post in Genius Bar about repairing the autologin and fixing other IO files enjoy a full 10.4.6 with this patch!

Thanks Quixos. I followed your guide and it was a real success, after installing the upgrade from Myzar and had problems with widgets flip and Loginwindow. If somebody can authomatze this package of instructions, manny people will be rewarded (not me, I could succeded with your instructions).

Thakns again.

cyclonefr, i'll be testing your IO* directions for possible addition to the guide tonight. will also check out your directions for supported ATI cards for inclusion in the guide. i have to make sure that those with modded drivers (excepting perhaps the x1600 re melchior?) don't lose what they have.

one thing i don't want to do is present too many choices. and the choices i do present must be clear and compact, and tested. as i don't have an AMD, i'll be keeping this guide Intel only.

have to take care of business today, will be on later tonight. :)

ok Quixos as u asked me ive created into the OSX86 installation forum a new topic using the proper method : one for ATI + NV and another for GMA900...just using the base of ur guide plus adding my experience...i advice u to try out :(

after applying your guide to a working 10.4.4 system with a 10.4.6.intel combo update, i cant even get to the point to enter anything: after rebooting kexts load, then somehow 8.6.1 kernel is loaded and shuts down my machine...

i tried booting with an old install-dvd, replacing mach and mach_kernel, but the problem remains: total shutdown when i try to boot directly after the kexts get loaded (white background). NEVER had such an error in the last 9 month...

Would someone please help me? my whole 10.4.4. system seems to be gone - i am writing this from my dual-win.