Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

I've got this - The Alias "Win_server" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found...

Google a bit and found a lot of infos, but noen applied as this "Win_server" is running SAMBA on Linux...

My upgrading is failed. After I updated with Pacifist and reboot my machine and type -x -s at prompt. The system suspend to reboot and go to prompt again. I can not to uses any parameters because it do nothing and always reboot. How can I fix this problem. I tried to upgrade with my laptop, Thanks.

hi people,

jonajona, i can mount dmgs, and have a fully functioning system.

though i have no problem on my machine, the Decrypted_Files diskimages-helper, might conflict with the updated DiskUtility application. an answer is out there, let's find it.

SammyOSX86, updating the Frameworks would give us whatever improvements that were made to them, like the new Quartz related frameworks.

declan, replacing your kernel should not be neccesary, if you haven't changed it in the first place as per directions.

to all, network (internet access) problems shouldn't occur as you haven't modified your Extensions.

the reason i excluded the Extensions folder in the instructions, is because i had all the problems listed in the previous questions. i used a kernel that i knew worked, and kexts that i knew worked with my hardware, to make sure mounting, network, video and sound worked, on my fully functional 10.4.5 system.

Asrock 915GL, p4 3.0Ghz 1.5Gig ram, onboard lan

i think the mounting problem will be easy to fix, and will post here and change the directions accordingly when i get the answer.

if you have problems be as specific as possible, list your hardware. update only from a fully functioning and updated 10.4.5 install. don't update from a combo update system.

if you have a complete success, with QE and CI, Network, Mounting, access to Shares, and no issues you didn't have before the update, post that as well, with your machine specs.

this obviously not a one size fits all solution. i will ask that this thread be moved to a more appropriate area of the forum, and a link left here in Genius Bar to it for a few days so no one gets lost.

if anyone has an idea for clarifying the title of this guide to reflect the reality that at this point it is working on some setups and not others, post it.

To be honest i think though i highlighted all but what you said, somehow all was installed, at the moment i am not gonna try again till more confirmation is given, i use use this computer all the time and today was one big headache, and since all works perfect, i am in no hurry. Thanks though.

Thanks quixos... I followed your directions step by step.

I have a laptop ZD7000 3.0Ghz 1GB RAM

MacVidia driver works well

Wireless works..

Basically everything works really good except the mounting thing. I did notice though that when I boot into Safe mode it works.

I'm @ work so I cannot test 10.4.6 anymore.

I think your process is simple and elegant.

I spent all of about 10 min to upgrade once I had all the necessary parts download.

I had Airport Extreme working, np_'s NVidia driver working, keyboard, mouse...etc.

Hopely, mounting problem has a simple solution (I plan to copy the helper from

10.4.3) and see what happens.

Update after testing little bit more:

1. sound works, ok

2. copied helper from 10.4.3 but still mounting is broken.

3. found out that Java is broken too.

On the surface thing seem to be running ok, but looks like things are broken under the hood.

Not good.

Pentium M 1.6, 2 Gig RAM, 60 Gig 5400 RPM hd

TopazBar, please edit your post to include hardware information on your machine.

glad to see that it seems to be limited to the mounting dmg issue with you. let me know if you find the solution. :D

because i don't have the problem myself, i can't fix it myself. i'm searching like the rest of you for a solution in the forums, irc etc. hopefully i'll find it soon, and be able to change the guide for broader compatibility, or as an alternative step.

i had this moved from the Genius Bar, cause i thought it wasn't definitive enough to be included. update your bookmarks. :D

Ok, here's what I've been testing so far:

- grabbed my 10.4.4 installation DVD

- copied Disk Utility app from DVD Applications Utilities folder to my Applications folder on HDD

- took the DiskImages Helper from the Decrypted Files folder on the DVD and copied it to folder /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework/Versions/A/Resources on my HDD

When you do a Disk Utility - Repair Disk Utilities after this it's repairing File Permissions again so I thought that a reboot would give me back the DMG mounting but I was wrong ;)

Funny thing also: a Repair Disk Permissions after the reboot only fixes the permissions on the changed DiskImages Helper in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework/Versions/A/Resources

No other files are being repaired... Is this normal???

Continuing testing...

Take care,

Tek_No

Its funny all though i am itching to update, and i know what my problem was, i think although i deselected mach_kernel etc, they still installed but after reading this dmg problem, guess i will wait, has anyone managed to mount dmg, or is it a general problem.

i believe i found the problem

when i did this originally, i used the ppc version of pacifist. i recommended

that you all get the 2.0 universal version.

i followed my own directions today, rebooted and found that the Extensions folder had been installed anyway! so, i restored my 4.5, and did it a second time, to see the exact same results.

so i'm rewriting the directions, i'll still use Pacifist 2.0, cause it's universal and faster, and simple to use.

there will just be a couple extra folders to "cp -R /backups", and restore at reboot. :angel:

i will take the guide out of the first post. and post it again after fixes, and a couple test runs.

good to hear...i couldnt stop myself from updating because i thought it might fix my sound problem

i was just about to install the update

edit: while im here, how do i select multiple items (like in pacifist) ? when i use control it just brings up the right click menu

quixos--

It sounds like there is a bug in the new version of Pacifist that is not handling "deselection" correctly. If you think this is the case, I will try to report the bug so it gets fixed in the inevitable update they will release. Do you think it is a Pacifist bug, or do you think there is some sort of mpkg or other dependency going on that is causing the install of deselected portions?

i've posted the new directions.

dmg now mount, networking and etc all work, now that kexts are really being replaced properly.

Pacifist Universal does not deselect consistently (or at all?), don't know if it's a bug with Pacifist, or with our kernel.

i'm sure he'll get a lot of feedback from official intel mac users. why add to his grief with our wildcard. :blink:

so follow the new directions, READ them carefully, if something doesn't make sense, and you think i've typoed. let me know right away, i'll be in here checking until the first person with QE and CI, sound and networking, reports 100% success. i want to put this behind me! :D

Does this mean we have to reinstall the OS again and then update to 10.4.6?

Do you think you can give me a copy of your mach_kernel file? If that's the only one causing the problem, I think that replacing it would solve it.

the mach_kernel isn't the only thing you need to have this work perfectly. the guide directs you to back up your working kexts, system profiler, and a couple of plists that you have on your working 4.5 system. you will need those. i believe they are findable, but not in these forums. no file sharing is allowed.