Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

Quixos u can believe me Combo is only for Servers!! no need for private usage u wont see the difference and can create more conflict...im working under plain version just like maxxuss said for 10.4.5 ehehe

btw the best is to link to my post on page 6 or 7 right? and what RL means? :)

cyclonefr, now that is information i can work with. :D

i trust your knowledgability, there is no doubt! but please, still, do not give advice that differs from the prerequisites of the guide. i originally was using the basic update. perhaps it's the server side of it that breaks the AppleFileServer link, and installing the basic 10.4.6 will fix that issue, but i don't know yet. when i do, the guide can be changed if neccesary, to reflect that. but at this point, the guide works 100%, and all directions are focused precisely on working with the files listed in the prerequisites. the guide must be in complete sync with the files used. if the link to AppleFileServer isn't broken by the basic update, the lines recreating it must be deleted from the guide. do you comprehend my concern? i will not have some sloppy, half assed guessing guide floating around the web with my nick on it! no confusion is allowed! :D

i really must go now! argh! :)

Edit, i do want to finish this guide, and leave it soon, knowing that it will work as promised, self contained and permanently useful as long as there is compatible hardware to install it on, and the software to install by it.

HEADLINE! April 11 2020, "boy updates from 10.4.4 to 10.4.6 on dual core computer found in grandmothers attic!" ;)

Later I'll try to upgrade from 10.4.4 straight to 10.4.6. Stay tuned for report :)

BTW I can't get past that menu in installation process - The Way I Connect To The Internet - I tried all the ways.

Now I lay me down to sleep - pray my Lord my soul to keep,

If I die before I wake - pray my Lord my soul to take :)

Hi all,

i follow all istruction... so when my system reboot after: "shutdown -r now"

i have follow write: "could not create System Configuration Port" as loop...

PLS Help me

AMD 3200+ Venice - 1Gb Ram PC400 - ATI X600XT 256Mb - ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2... with OSX 10.4.5

hellllo everyone :)

well i tried to do the manual upgrade from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6. going thru all the steps without any problems but when i approach the final step with the restart i get a flushing scan cache! did i do something wrong???

ciufs, AMD 3200+ Venice? this update guide is for Intel.

-------------------------------------------------------

yukfaili, "...when i approach the final step with the restart i get a flushing scan cache..."

what happened then? does the cache flush succesfully? do you boot into OS X? does it freeze? be verbose.

are you on a laptop? with hibernation enabled?

details and more information please. :lol:

------------------------------------------------------

i'm going out for some doughnuts, a little sugar to go with my caffeine. :D

yukfaili, this sounds coincidental rather than update related. which is both a good thing, and a bad thing. good, cause if worse come to worse, you can reinstall 10.4.4 or 4.5 and more than likely update successfully to 4.6. bad, cause there are a whole lot of caches you could manually delete, some of them critical, and i don't know what they all are.

does it look like this?

-----------------------------------

hibernate image path: /var/vm/sleepimage

Flushing scan cache!

-----------------------------------

one thing you could try is, reboot and do the following.

-x -s

at prompt type in...

fsck -fy

if you are lucky, it will correct something. if it does correct something, it will tell you so, reboot, -x -s and run fsck -fy again until no errors are found and corrected.

this is one of those questions that googling might be able to help you with.

if running fsck -fy solves the problem, let me know. if you solve this problem, in some other way, tell me. and if you decide to reinstall and update again and have no problems, i'd like to know that as well. :)

i'm actually still trying to find a way to flush all caches from command line, it looks like something good to know. but, i wanted to bring up the fsck -fy, cause that might just take care of the problem.

Quixos i do agree with u ! i dont even a patch with my name and bugs...the plain 10.4.6 also broke the PFS...in my opinion dont bother guys with the COMBO which may provide future problem and takes 40Mb more that's the point.

For the rest here I am :D

Here's my sad story with succesful final :(

I had 10.4.5 with all secure updates - that's why I decided to use plain 10.4.6 Upgrade (not combo). I did exactly as it states in Quixos' instruction except Pacifist - I DIDN'T use it. After making /backups directory and copying all that stuff I mounted 10.4.6Upd.dmg and just clicked on that .pkg and installation began. All went smooth and in the end the process stopped at 50% of system optimisation. That's normal I think :) Forgot to say that I copied my 10.4.5 mach_kernel also in /backups. Then I rebooted with all those -s -x and changed new mach_kernel with my old one and then typed

cd /Decrypted_Files

bash ./replace.sh

then update_prebinding... then shutdown -r now

It worked! I found myself in 10.4.6 with lost ability to mount .dmg and DVD that won't start playback of inserted DVD. Then I rebooted again with -x -s

and replaced files (those /Extensions and all that stuff) according instruction. Now everything looks at least not worse than in 10.4.5 except DVD playback - I mean it starts automatically with DVD inserted but IMHO in 10.4.5 I had a bit better quality. Well that's the price of updating :(

I'd like to thank all the boys and girls in this thread and especially mr. Quixos for his wonderful kindness and help.

184200, congratulations! :poster_oops: on the other hand, you didn't follow the directions exactly and posted 8 times with "bad news". i'm happy for you, but if i'd known you hadn't followed the guides directions, i could told you to do that, and you'd have been running 10.4.6 in just a couple hours. :graduated:

it is NOT normal, or good, to have system optimization stop halfway through, one of the reasons i didn't include running the update in the guide.

cyclonefr, i'm going to change the directions to require the MacOSXUpd10.4.6Intel.dmg. :poster_oops: combo, or basic, i don't think it makes a spot of difference either way. but am going to be fierce in requiring that a person must follow the guide exactly in order to get my attention.

to everyone, i'm going to change the prerequisite apple update to the basic MacOSXUpd10.4.6Intel.dmg. there is no need to for you people to do anything, no performance hit either way, as far as i'm concerned, and perhaps a use someday for the extra files if i know hackers. :poster_oops: but i'm changing the guide, so i have to re-update my own system to match the situation. argh! :poster_oops:

follow the guide exactly for predictable success, or download a patch or iso, i don't care how you adapt it for your own needs, or what files you use, or whether you eat fish on friday, but, if it's not in the guide, don't do it in here! :poster_oops:

@ quixos

Hi there!

No, I'm afraid you didn't get me right - I did everything exactly as it is written in your instructions, did it at least 5 times - exactly and there was no luck, then I just decided to make it a little bit my way. And now I'm with 10.4.6. I just described how it was. Thank you again for your patience :graduated:

184200, aaaaah, i see! i might be able to shorten the guide then. :graduated: but i don't like the system optimization (prelinking) to fail. will look into it. at this time, please don't promote updating from the apple updater in the thread. i don't know why you didn't have successful results, but too many have, to change it at this time, without knowing the reason you didn't. :poster_oops:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

cyclonefr, i have to work in my garden today. the day is too beautiful to waste. :poster_oops: would you check to see if the versions of the ATI kexts and the other files supporting those kexts has changed? i know OpenGL.framework is new. perhaps only the 4.6 OpenGL.framework needs to be backed up and restored for ATI users to realize the benefits of updating. i've decided to add your lines for ATI to the guide, but only what is absolutely neccesary. :poster_oops:

I just wanted to say great job Quixos for this guide and everyone else for their inputs.

I tried it the first time and everything worked. I followed the guide exactly.

Started off with an install of 10.4.5 from the Myzar DVD with the AMD patch unchecked (not sure if un-checking this was necessary but I did anyways being I don’t have an AMD, just being safe). I had this install going great with tons of apps (new and old) loaded and working on the system for over a week.

The whole update to 10.4.6 took about 15 minutes. Sound and Video still work the same. Nothing broke that I could see. I still have the same small issues I have had with all versions. I have just found workarounds for most of them.

Issues that have been the same in all versions so far:

Reboot does not work – Never found a fix

Onboard NIC (Marvell) does not work – Using a PCI NIC

Never fully got rid of Mouse Tearing – Using mouse app workaround

ATI AGP card shows up as PCI in the Profiler – Never found a “working” driver update

Things that I noticed in 10.4.5:

Startup Disk would bomb when selected in preferences.

Things that I noticed so far in 10.4.6:

Startup Disk no longer bombs. It does not show any disks tho, only the Network Boot is visible.

Hardware:

MB – Gigabyte - GA-8IG1000 Pro-G - /w current bios

Proc – Intel – Socket 478 2.26GHZ 533MHZ (SSE2)

NIC – 3COM 3C905B-TX XL PCI – Added this in because the on board NIC never worked in OSX.

Video – ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP with 128MB RAM

Keyboard – USB Saitek Gaming keyboard (the one that has the blue glowing keys)

Mouse – USB Microsoft Optical Mouse

Hope this info helps. Keep coming out with these great updates. I had fun following along and getting it to work.

All in all I have a great working system and use it all the time now.

Later,

Matrix961

Quixos, I have the stall at 50% disk optimization when running installer in single-user mode or from a terminal ever since 10.4.4 I guess...

What I'm doing now is just hit CTRL-C to "break" disk optimization before it reaches 50% :)

It really doesn't matter as you can do this from a gui after the upgrade as well...

Take care,

Tek_No