Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

1) open terminal type : defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

2) put ur 10.4.4 DVD and open directory SBIN

3) copy mount_smbfs file into ur SBIN directory (macosx hdd) and overwrite ur file (yes)

4) repair permission under disk utility

5) retype under terminal : defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

6) restart and enjoy

damned good, cyclonefr! big thank you from me. :D

i'm going to do a full update, with the steps of backing up and restoring that file. then add it to the guide.

I'm lost here. What does that file do?

What is the problem? Please explain?

I'm looking for the maxxuss patch solution (10.4.5) the one on the maxxuss site tells me its corrupted.

please someone PM me with details to a rapidshre (if there is one) or my e-mail address is TokinDerrick AT gmail.com

Updated to 10.4.6 using Myzar's install package (I used the Myzar 10.4.5 Install DVD to install the OS). Install worked flawlessly. SMB works fine, ATI card with QE & CI still works.

Kudos to Myzar.

After 2 failing attempts, i finally decided not to update to 10.4.6. "Minor" things not working (mount_smfs and god knows what else that we are still unaware of) and "major" things (like the disabled frameworks) that were supposed to work with an intel processor but still don't. I wouldn't like to underestimate the efforts of JaS, Myzar, quixos for his great guide, cyclonefr (and others that i am not aware of) but since maxxuss hasn't done his magic with this new "fruit" called 10.4.6 update then i will reside from updating my hacintosh.

After 2 failing attempts, i finally decided not to update to 10.4.6. "Minor" things not working (mount_smfs and god knows what else that we are still unaware of) and "major" things (like the disabled frameworks) that were supposed to work with an intel processor but still don't. I wouldn't like to underestimate the efforts of JaS, Myzar, quixos for his great guide, cyclonefr (and others that i am not aware of) but since maxxuss hasn't done his magic with this new "fruit" called 10.4.6 update then i will reside from updating my hacintosh.

I think I'm going to totally agree, also after 2 failing attempts.

the disabled frameworks is the kicker for me.

what disabled frameworks? this is the manual update guide, not the myzar autoupdate package guide.

have either of you used this guide? lol. :pirate2:

-------------------------------------------------------------

congratulations kin123, but not the correct area of the forum.

-------------------------------------------------------------

i just included the mount_smbfs file that cyclonefr found to fix unmountable shares, into the guide.

are we 100% working now? :)

Just a bit of common sense advice needed from someone at the moment im running 10.4.5 question is is there any real point to update to the new 10.4.6 as it stand my setup right now runs excellenty so is it worth all the migrane at the mo

thanks

I am also having problems after following the driections to a 'T'. I can no longer enable 'Personal File Sharing' under 'Sharing' System Prefrences. So I cannot access my PC from another PC on the network, and also when I try to connect to another PC (Windows or Mac) I am getting the 'Select the SMB/CIF shared volume you want to connect to.' but once I select okay, I am getting a message, "The alias "xxxxx" could not be opened becuase the original item cannot be found."

curlyboy,truthfully, if you are happy with what you have, why update it now? there will still be guides and packages made with all the bugs worked out, etc.

this is for fun, if updating all the time doesn't turn you on, don't do it! :pirate2:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

docangle, have you read the information contributed by cyclonefr about downgrading the mount_smbfs file?

it has been included in the guide, but you can copy it off your dvd, and repair permissions to get shares mounting again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

TokinDerrick, please stop asking for it. everyone and their mother has a copy. if you look for it you'll find it. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, if you try this guide, test everything, and post about it, so we can find problems, fix them, and get on with our lives. :)

quixos, thanks for the guide and I'm about to try it. but I honestly did search high and low for that patch and coudlnt' find one. sorry if I annoyed you, but someone finally sent me one.

thanks to the member that took the couple of minutes to do so, seirously.

docangle i know what u mean, i experience the same problem didnt notice that!

i spent about 30min seeking about all share file and PFS (personal file sharing) and replaced them but no way :(

dont know which file handle this whole personnal file sharing

EDIT : in fact we dont care in my case i can access file from the other PC" :) tell me in ur case if it doesnt work

alright, so I just tried your method. I got to the first reboot. pushed F8 typed in "-x -s" on the same line (I'm supposed to right?) it shows a bunch of code fast, and then it shows other stuf and the last three things that stand out to me read

Extension com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassstorageclass no kernal depending

Extension com.apple.driver.itunesphonedriver no kernal depending

Extension com.apple.driver.ipodsbcdriver no kernal depending

and then it just keeps saying "still waiting for root device" underneath that, every so often it'll just keep put another "still waiting for root device"

and if I just try to start it up normally, it goes to the grey apple screen for a while, and then it puts up a "no" sign, the circle with the line through it.

what did I do wrong?

docangle, cyclonefr,

you can mount networks shares, (which i've not set up yet, so no way to test) is that still in fact correct?

------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, in the 10.4.6 update notes, they briefly say they fixed a bug with AFP Server.

perhaps the same method cyclonefr used to correct mounting shares, can be found for AFP Server. i will add the solution to the guide as soon as one of us finds the answer.

open console and attempt to start Personal File Sharing for the locations of pertinent frameworks. i'm hoping we can keep those and it's another one file fix. :(

-------------------------------------------------------

will be out for a while... keep busy folks, use your heads. :)

i've got Personal File Sharing working now on my computer. don't think it's more than an additional few files to backup, and changing a plist or two. that seems to be the difference when i verify my files against the official apple update.

will narrow them down tomorrow.

it's been a long :) weekend. ;)

...I learned how to selectively apply an update from Apple using pacifist. It was fun.

thanks for "getting it" TopazBar. :)

alright, so I just tried your method. I got to the first reboot. pushed F8 typed in "-x -s" on the same line (I'm supposed to right?) it shows a bunch of code fast, and then it shows other stuf and the last three things that stand out to me read
Extension com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassstorageclass no kernal depending

Extension com.apple.driver.itunesphonedriver no kernal depending

Extension com.apple.driver.ipodsbcdriver no kernal depending

and then it just keeps saying "still waiting for root device" underneath that, every so often it'll just keep put another "still waiting for root device"

and if I just try to start it up normally, it goes to the grey apple screen for a while, and then it puts up a "no" sign, the circle with the line through it.

what did I do wrong?

anyone else get this?

Danica_Talos that's the point i still havent found yet, quixos is trying to find one, in my case it works even without sharing lol

Quixos i think ur experiencing the same thing i do : i have the PFS working but into control panel u cannot select to start the share...right?

Hi guys!

I did exactly as it written in instructions and had no trobles until I rebooted and all I see is blue screen. Then I booted in -v mode and saw something about tfpd (or something like that) not found or failed. Could you please tell me what to do? That was the 2nd time I tried to update to 10.4.6 and got the same problem.

I've got laptop LG LS50a - Pentium M 1.8GHz, 512Mb, 10.4.5 with all secure updates.