Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

marz, hahahah, i was astounded. :D you can go directly from 4.4 to 4.6 using this guide and the MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.6Intel.pkg.

docangle, great news about the Personal File Sharing. ;) re: ATI, if you haven't deleted them, you will have your working ATI Extensions and OpenGL.frameworks in /backups to fall back on if anything breaks. i'd be interested to hear what happens.

Quixos nice found for PFS works flawlessly i was so close that i lost my mind ;)

great job i guess now we have a fully working 10.4.6 almost as good as Maxxuss would have done !! youpi

for the ATI users i dont know how that could break sthg as i found this and tried it!

Thank you quixos! The upgrade went flawlessly for me just now, per your excellent instructions. Not only is your guide clear and very well organized, but you have managed to keep this thread pretty linear and always on topic. Thanks again!

[---------- FIX FOR BROKEN PERSONAL FILE SHARING------------

TO EVERYONE, to fix the broken Personal File Sharing, check out the guide, Edited bottom. for those who haven't used the guide yet, the information has been included in the directions.

Thx quixos!!!

My 10.4.6 works great ;), but a little bit slower as 10.4.5....

xbench score 10.4.5 = 65

xbench score 10.4.6 = 55

for the ATI users i dont know how that could break sthg as i found this and tried it!

It seems there's a lot of confusion about this ATi thing. I've been reading this thread for a few days, but still haven't understood exactly why we would want to use 10.4.4/5's ATi kext on our 10.4.6, knowing that 10.4.6 not only works but improves the support of 9600/9800's.

Is it only a matter of just following the guide, falling back to 10.4.4/5's ATi kext and then copying the 10.4.6 ones to our 10.4.6?

If so:

- Why delete them in the first place?

- If there is a reason for them to be deleted in the first place, why not instead of telling us "just put back the ATi files were there belong", just give us the 3 lines it would take in the terminal to do so.

You guys are doing a great work, but this thread is getting hairy. If I understand it well, Quixos hasn't an ATi, so it's not easy for him to write directions for us ATi users. But Cyclonefr has an ATi and know by heart the lines one has to change in the first-post-of-this-topic in order to benefit from 10.4.6 ATi goodness.

Wouldn't it be nice if Cyclonefr just posted a copy/paste of Quixos' instructions, with the ATi lines added (or removed, whatever)? It would be even nicer if Cyclonefr updated this post each time Quixos makes some progress with the non-ATi stuff. And even nicer if Quixos linked Cyclonefr's post from his first post so we don't have to have three tabs open just for this topic (monitoring Quixos' new progresses, Cyclonefr's progresses and the general thread progress).

i do agree with u, what u said is true, so here are my instructions for ATI up to 9800 guys!

for guys using ATI with the Koverg patch u must reapply ur patch to the new ATI drivers from 10.4.6 to make it work before rebooting!!! then:

at boot, hit F8 to access the prompt and type in the options, -x -s

hit enter

type in the following...

mount -uw /

cd backups

cp mount_smbfs /sbin

rm -R /backups/Extensions/ATI*.*

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*.* /backups/Extensions

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions

cp -R Extensions /System/Library

rm -R /System/Library/SystemProfiler

cp -R SystemProfiler /System/Library

cd Kernel.framework/Versions/A/Resources

cp *.plist /System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework/Versions/A/Resources

rm /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer

ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleFileServer /usr/sbin/AppleFileServer

cd /Decrypted_Files

./replace.sh

update_prebinding -root / -force

(after prebinding ends, which might take a while, you will have access to the prompt again)

shutdown -r now

try this and let me know should work flawlessly (im not use to terminal but it seems to be correct)

Hi there

Now I've got a new problem - I've waited and waited and in the end I got invitation to enter NAME and PASSWORD - I entered my pass and no go. Now I don't know what pass should I enter to get into MacOS. It's getting more weirder. May be it's because of those security updates I installed. Dunno ;)

Bamboo, cyclonefr, sounds good, but what about the people who at this time have working ATI cards only because of the koverg patch, or who have edited 9700's? do the agp 9800 Pros work with the new ATINDRV?

every additional line added to this guide is an opportunity for a mistake to be made. how many lines would have to be added to handle the above?

i think i don't want more problems. ;)

184200, you can redo your initial Apple Setup, where you create your username and password, pick your time zone etc? by doing the following.

reboot, f8, -x -s

then type in at the prompt...

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -r now

your computer will restart OS X as if it were the first time. be sure to choose the same Name and Password that you used before.

good luck. ;)

quixos yes it should work, atindrv has nothing to do...but u have to rebuild the modification for the new ATIRADEON kext...maybe but i dont think so it only needs the new opengl.framework but i highly doubt!

let's try in ur case and tell me!

you show me an egg, i'll make a omelet, you show me a hairy egg, i'll see a coconut, someone else a kiwi, and cracking or peeling will soon ensue.

i'm going to leave it simple, and foolproof. and i need at least a week of relaxation and indolence. ;)

@quixos

Thanks for your instructions. It works for me very well. I tried first the JaS Updated Intel Auto-Patcher For 10.4.4 -> 10.4.6 but I got defekt Loginwindow.

BTW: Can we use some of the 4.6. kexts? I don't think so because of the "old" kernel?

Bamboo, cyclonefr, sounds good, but what about the people who at this time have working ATI cards only because of the koverg patch, or who have edited 9700's? do the agp 9800 Pros work with the new ATINDRV?

I for one just do a ghost image before the patch, test the patch and restore the ghost image if anything goes wrong. Takes hardly more than 20 minutes <_<

For what it's still worth: just upgraded succesfully to 10.4.6 using the latest guidelines from quixos and cyclonefr: everything running smoothly now, including QE and CI on my Radeon 9600 Pro 256mb :)

Thanks for all your efforts on this, guys :D

Take care,

Tek_No

@quixos

I did exactly as you said (have to admit you forgot to say mount -uw /)

And I stuck at the "Choose the way you connect to the Internet" menu. Whatever I choose - LAN, modem, no connection - no go, all I get is spinnig cursor. I almost give up. Have you got any other solutions? Thanx :D

184200, thought you'ld know that from using the guide previously about the "-uw /".

/me beats himself senseless. :D

when i screwed up my password, long long long long ago, when i was a mere fetus, :) i that same problem on a couple of the setup screens. both choosing keyboards and the internet would hang for a LONG time, on my p4 3.0Ghz computer. Read a Book! but stay in the same room as the install, cause when the screen changes you must go to the next section. if the screen goes black from inactivity AFTER the new screen has become available, you might not be able to get it back, and have to start all over again. argh. ;) when you come to the screen about time zones, you can hard reboot. all you really need to complete and apply is the user account screen, make sure the user account screen has changed to the next one and you can hard reboot. before you do this, boot with -x -s, and type in...

fsck -fy

if errors are found and corrected, reboot and do it again, until no errors are corrected.

after you get through the user account area of setup, hard reboot, repeat the fsck -fy as above, before doing a true boot of OS X.

good luck. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cyclonefr, if you continue to edit and refine your method of including the new ATI kexts into the install, i'll do a direct link from the guide to your post. keep it simple, and the actual commands, separate and distinct from any explanations.

you should start a new thread on it. it would be easier for you to track problems and offer support until you know all the questions are answered, without looking through this whole thread, for the occasional problem you wish to support.

i required 3 files as a prerequisite for my guide. the official 4.6 combo update, Maxxuss' Decrypted_Folders, and Pacifist. as you are interested in directions for this method, you would have 1, the intel Manual Update.

i actually have an idea of how to format such a companion guide in a non-confusing, and semi-seamless manner. i just don't want to support or maintain it.

i can have at the bottom of the guide a section for links that work with my guide, while keeping the guide itself simple, uncomplicated, and 100% working for all. :)

"link for ATI users"

"link for ATI users with koverg patches"

"link for Nvidia users"

or something like that. it's really important to me that the guide itself works for everyone who uses intel. cross linking could be a good thing as long as long as the integrity of this guide is maintained, and a clear demarcation between your additional 4.6 ATI instructions and this guide remains. i don't want any confusion at all.

@quixos

Thanx for the fast reply, I'm going to try it right now :gathering:

One more question - what Update should I use MacOSXUpd10.4.6Combo or just plain MacOSX10.4.6? I'm upgrading from 10.4.5 with all secure upgrades.

cyclonefr,184200,

there is a 2,350 file difference between MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.6Intel, and MacOSXUpd10.4.6Intel, i will only guarantee success and support to those that follow the clear and tested directions in in the guide. no confusion allowed! :gathering:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cyclonefr, i'll consider what to do when i get back from RL. please don't don't advise others to stray from the guide outside of the advice on kexts and the OpenGL.framework as it applies to updating ATI and other video. this is why a separate crosslinked thread might be safer. bbiab. :)

Here's another step in investigation - after i installed 10.4.6Update with Pacifist I looked into System Preferences into Accounts and found nothing - yes it's absolutely clear - no account - just white field... Oh, God, gimme some of your Power :)

184200, recreate your account as i detailed above, or start fresh.

the apple update and this guide can not affect your accounts or system in the way you are having trouble. you've screwed up big time, on your own time. :) it would save you time to simply reinstall and update, as i have nearly run out of time to get my RL activities completed and can't assist you for hours.

tick, tock, tick tock, gotta run! ;) good luck.