Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

slowdiver, let me make this clear... i don't want to discourage you from posting a question related to this guide in this thread! :) if you decide with proceeding in using this guide, (i've edited this to clarify the point.) i'm here, and i encourage others who have successfuly used the guide, to be here for others also. but unfortunately your problem is incidental to the guide.

in the guide it is stressed in bold letters...

"use Ctrl, to select EVERYTHING, ONE AT A TIME, EXCEPT---- mach_kernel ----

do not select them all at once using shift.

do not deselect anything.

if mach_kernel is accidently selected, shut down and restart Pacifist, and reselect "

to reduce the possiblity of mistakes, i specifically instruct that Pacifist be shut down and restarted completely, to make it as difficult as possible for a person to accidently overwrite their mach_kernel.

following the directions in the guide do not allow an overwriting of the kernel to occur. i want to keep this guide thread focused, on problems and fixes for those that follow the guide exactly. i have a limited amount of time each day, in which i must focus on the types of problems that might be caused by instructions in the guide, and directly impact the content of the guide.

i'm sorry, this thread isn't for your type of problem. i am sympathetic though! accidents happen. i bet you can search the forums or chat on IRC to find help on this very thing! after all, you can't have been the only person to overwrite your kernel. :) i wish you luck!

TopazBar, your observation is good, but irrelevant. (or, good, and highly relevant... Topazbar, i can't seem to edit my way out of this one. ;) ) i'll make it clear below.

--------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, i did not word the guide so that any such choice would be neccesary. if one follows the guide, they can expect predictable results. if one does not follow the guide, and that includes making mistakes following the guide, their results can be just about anything! good, bad, or superior, whatever their results end up being, i take no credit or responsibility.

i do not say the following in the light and common manner one does to brush off an inconvenience. i do not have the time. the time i do have must be managed wisely here in this thread.

the time i spend in this thread must be dedicated to fixing problems that might still remain, such as (possibly) melchiors' non-working x1600, or the eventual discovery that one can't connect to an iDisk or .Mac account.

advice and help from those that have followed the guide, to those that are following the guide is welcome in this thread. problems people have that are incidental to simply using the guide should be ignored, or better yet, one could message them. i've been messaging people from the beginning of my participation here at osX86project, to help keep threads i'm interested in, clean.

to anyone who has read my other posts on "my dread of thread spread", and knows my concerns about offtopic posts de-railing and diluting the effectiveness of specifically focused threads, etc. i won't come across as a hard ass. i'm trying to ensure this thread is as short and focused as possible. it must be managed, to be of as much use as possible. that's what i'm trying to do. :(

-------------------------------------------------

to everyone, i do a lot of editing while IN the thread, if my post is last in the thread, you might want to refresh or come back later. cause i'm edit crazy, and change and tweak things until i'm happy with a my post. for real fun, refresh often when you see my post is current, for a glimpse into the mind of a madman!

--------------------------------------------------

Edit, finished editing.

attn: 10.4.6 SUPPORTED ATI, Nvidia, GMA950 users. added a "/backups4.6" folder which contains 10.4.6 Extensions, and OpenGL.framework for your updating convenience.

in order to keep the number of lines to a minimum, and maximize success, i'm not including alternate directions for every kext of the month, which might have to be updated. QE and CI should work for everyone who already has it working in 10.4.5.

directions and discussions about updating these kexts, and the OpenGL.framework are easily found in the forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, looks like the guide will be finished and moved back to the Genius Bar area as soon as Semjaza updates the kernel to go along with his other decrypted files. when that happens, i'll add directions to the guide (even though it's a no brainer, thanks to his installer), monitor this thread for one week, then ship it!

if you use this guide, and the Semjaza decrypted files, let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

regarding the "disable beamsync" tweak

this guide updates all the 10.4.6 Frameworks except OpenGL.framework. the new frameworks might not play well with the "disable beamsync" tweak. i've had some graphics issues when i disable it, i'm not sure yet. you may have no problems with it! if you do have some problem, you can clear the tweak by deleting com.apple.windowserver.plist. if you have updated using this guide, and have "disabled beamsync", AND have been using 10.4.6 for a while. let me know about your experiences with it. :withstupid:

first: thank you, quixos, for your guide.

second: i *never* touched mach_kernel.

third: i never highlighted it, and no replace thing came along.

i followed your guide exactly.

i have the feeling all is accociated with a differnet update type: i have chosen the combo, not the normal update - cause i updated from 10.4.4., not from 10.4.5.

i managed to put back a 10.4.4 kernel and started it up, followed exactly your guide, but i have harsh rebooting problems now. seems to be cause of my gma900. never had a white mouse cursor on grey background before....

somehow that kernel got overwritten, or you wouldn't have had to replace it. i had to change the guide due to a bug in Pacifist 2.0 in day 3 of this guide. if one thing was replaced or screwed up others might be. backing up and starting over fresh might be the only thing you can do, but before you go to all that trouble, try the following suggestions first.

did you "update_prebinding -root / -force" after restoring your working kernel?

repair permissions,

reboot and type...

-x -s

fsck -fy

(if errors are found, it'll fix them reboot and repeat until no errors are found)

mount -uw /

rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.BezelServices.plist

rm /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

update_prebinding -root / -force

shutdown -r now

at reboot, F8 and type in... -v

look for any error messages that have to do with "GMA915"

let me know. i've got my fingers crossed! :D

----------------------------------------------------

edit your post above, and we'll keep this correspondence in these two posts.

i removed all 950kexts and put back the old integratedframebuffer. now it starts shortly, screen seems ok, screen off, says something with terminal not being accessible or something. i ll take another look in a few seconds.

thank you for your next guide! but: why should i remove all that stuff? if it is screwed up and i try to reinstall, all personal thing would be gone - it would be a total new install i suppose - if i remove all this?

i removed all 950kexts and put back the old integratedframebuffer...

slowdiver, if you had 950 kexts to remove, you did not! i repeat, you DID NOT follow this guide! i don't know what you did. though i wish you the best of luck, please don't ask for any more support in this thread. it is a waste of space, misrepresents the difficulty of using this guide and confuses the results one should expect FOLLOWING IT. no responses from you are necessary, any future posts will be removed from the thread. follow the guide exactly, in future. once again, good luck. :)

alright, so I just tried your method. I got to the first reboot. pushed F8 typed in "-x -s" on the same line (I'm supposed to right?) it shows a bunch of code fast, and then it shows other stuf and the last three things that stand out to me read

and then it just keeps saying "still waiting for root device" underneath that, every so often it'll just keep put another "still waiting for root device"

and if I just try to start it up normally, it goes to the grey apple screen for a while, and then it puts up a "no" sign, the circle with the line through it.

what did I do wrong?

Have you updated from 10.4.4 or 10.4.5? What's your mobo/chipset? Have you used Delta or Combo package from Apple?

to FreeSoftwareMan

I have the same hardware as you,how did you install...

Danica_Talos, you, and i, all have the same hardware. she updated from 10.4.5 following the instructions of the guide. you might want to print them out before following them. :o

my hardware is, AsRock P4Dual 915gl, P4 3.0Ghz, 1.5G ram, GMA900.

I have the same hardware as you,how did you install?,I have blue and black screen shanging from time to time!!!(maybe because i use 10.4.5 sec update 1.)?

Please help me?

I too have the same problem as above - disaster! Working system previously with 10.4.5 + sec update 1. Used Myzar updater V3, then problems. At end of updating I got a message stating errors in update, try running again. Then no apps would open and reboot gave the above.

my sympathies to both of you. please do NOT use the guide which is on page one of the thread you are now randomly posting.

this is not the myzar v3 thread. this is not the green eggs and ham thread. this is the Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel) thread.

my sympathies to both of you. please do NOT use the guide which is on page one of the thread you are now randomly posting.

this is not the myzar v3 thread. this is not the green eggs and ham thread. this is the Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel) thread.

Thank you for your sympathy. It is nice to see how polite we all are when it comes to posting questions which may be inadvertently in the wrong place. I believe that we all have the same interests here and am pleased to see the debates and solutions that arise from this forum. Please accept my apologies if you are upset having posted on "your" thread. I have reposted in a more appropriate place. Apples and pears.....

I followed the guide last night and I now have 10.4.6. The installation I upgraded was a 100% Maxxuss installation. Previous to 10.4.6 I always followed Maxxuss' instructions, but since Maxxass has kind of disappeared, I figured this would be the best method to updating.

If you follow the guide exactly, you will indeed come out with a perfect 10.4.6 installation. I haven't noticed a single issue yet, everything is running just like 10.4.5 - in fact it's a tad bit faster.

I look forward to future revisions of this guide. It appears in the not to distant future we may finally have all the 10.4.6 files decrypted and the 10.4.6 kernel cracked. Maybe then we'll finally be able to start using some of the 10.4.6 extensions.

FreeSoftwareMan, i don't know what to say. if you had a working 10.4.4/5 installation, and followed the guide, there are no changes made that can break anything. your kernel isn't touched, your working Extensions aren't touched, the new Frameworks don't make any difference. what i see in your description of the "blue and black" screen tells me that you somehow managed not to follow the directions exactly, and have the 4.6 OpenGL.framework remaining in Frameworks. if you fix this, and have other problems, please consider starting fresh, and following the directions before posting further questions or observations. good luck! ;)

the new 10.4.6 decrypted files have been out for a while cavemonkey50

as far as the kernel i have been looking into it and i am extending an invitation to anyone with asm exp to help us out

the 10.4.6 decrypted files are better all alround

you could ask for them on the irc channel

you can possibly find them at

<removed>

the new 10.4.6 decrypted files have been out for a while cavemonkey50

as far as the kernel i have been looking into it and i am extending an invitation to anyone with asm exp to help us out

the 10.4.6 decrypted files are better all alround

you could ask for them on the irc channel

you can possibly find them at

I'm aware of that, but not every file has been decrypted. For example the dock is still using the 10.4.5 decrypted file.

cavemonkey

the reason its still using the one from .5 is because the Dock was not updated from .5 to .6 making it impossible that there is a .6 Dock because to was not updated

read semjaza's stuff i think he cleary states what was and wasn't updated in his installer

Thank you, quixos.

I failed with Myser, JaS update and intall DVD.

3 day's hard try all failed with blue screen stop.

With your direct manual install method, I can manage to get 10.4.6 on my Notebook.

BTW,

"update_prebinding -root / -force"

It maybe better to do this at the last stage of single user mode.

I got a system crash at the window mode without doing this at the single user mode.

Just an FYI....

I had issues with update_prebinding running in the terminal after reboot.

I would get these errors everytime:

error: can't create temp image

error 256 running update_prebinding_core

Failed to clear translated caches; you may want to reboot

In order to get it to run correctly I would have to do a SUDO SU first.

In my opinion this guide is still the best for getting to 10.4.6.

Peace,

brianbwlim, i originally had the update_prebinding step from within single user mode as the last step. some people were reporting that it would stall at 50%.

moving it to first OSX boot, all people should be able to update_prebinding. it helps if they know to use "sudo" though. :D

thanks matrix961, i added sudo to the line. :)

to everyone, if you use the guide and post, post with your system specs.

brianbwlim, i originally had the update_prebinding step from within single user mode as the last step. some people were reporting that it would stall at 50%.

moving it to first OSX boot, all people should be able to update_prebinding. it helps if they know to use "sudo" though. ;)

thanks matrix961, i added sudo to the line. :)

to everyone, if you use the guide and post, post with your system specs.

My system is Toshiba Satellite A30.

845GM graphics and P4 2.66GHz.

I updated through Vmware.

So, system was very slow.

With first OSX boot, I tried "permission repair".

But during that, system crashed because the library was not "pre-binded", I think.

So at the single user mode, I did pre-binding.

And again "permission repair".

moderator edited, it suprised me too.

i'll ask for review of that decision after he whose name begins with "S" dec***** the kernel. :hysterical:

-----------------------------------------------------------

to everyone, added "mount_udf" and "mount_webdav" to /backups in the guide.

if you've updated with this guide, even though you might never burn a udf disk, it'll make you feel better to downgrade, and know you can.

haven't heard anything about webdav, but it's likelier to be an issue than not, so included it as well.

to quote Porky Pig, "Th-th-th-th-that’s all, folks!" :D