Manual Installation from working 10.4.4 or 4.5 to 10.4.6 (intel)

quixos

246 posts in this topic

cyclonefr,

this guide backs up your current working kexts. any modification you have made, like koverg patching etc will continue to work.

the Quartz frameworks are updated, so you can expect to benefit from them. OpenGL will be from 10.4.5 as that is backed up, and seems to be working fine.

Xbench, graphics section, Cinebench 9.5, and, GioFX OpenMark, are functioning

with the 10.4.5 OpenGL, and the 10.4.6 update installed.

someone (who needs to post his specs :D ) updated to 4.6, this method, with one of those ATI 9800 cards that

work out of the box with QE and CI, they are still working. good news!.

i expect that the new community developed ATI and Nvidia drivers will work without any problems. i have an ATI X800GT waiting for the day, we'll all find out then. :dev:

okay great...but why not keeping the new frameworks + ATI extensions? they dont work ?

will it work for ATI users if we dont type :

rm -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

cp -R OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions

cp -R Extensions /System/Library

so we dont use the old OPENGL framework? i bet u did that for GMA900 not for ATI

quixos,

Confirm success. Very nice. This is one of the coolest way to update your system.

I will throw a monkey at u. I upgraded from 10.4.4 to 10.4.6. :(

Working: Wireless networking, sound, keyboard, mouse, and DISK IMAGE mounts. Java works too.

Thank u very much for the process.

Dell 9300 Laptop, Geforce Go 6800, 2 Gig RAM, 60 Gig HD, Truemobile 1450

quixos I just followed your guide. It works perfectly I had no issues. I started from a clean 10.4.5 system with no patches.

Hardware:

Chipset: SIS Intel 1.6 Ghz SSE2

Video: ATI 9800 Pro, Core Image and Quartz Extreme supported (Still working after update!)

Sound: CMedia 8738

NIC: 3Com Compatible

good news. so, this will work with cards detected by the stock ATI drivers. do you know anything about koverg patches on these new ATI drivers? do they work as well?

i can add a ATI and Nvidia, OpenGL backup and restore of 4.6 drivers to the guide later tonight. i want to make sure i word it simply and correctly for newbies, those who know the ropes, won't need a guide to do it. so there is no rush. it's a sunny Saturday here. gotta breath! :)

thanks cyclonefr :)

for GMA900/915 users with QE and CI, continue to update via this method until someone confirms we can use myzars new update package, we cannot use the new OpenGL, and the old AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer to get QE and CI.

the reason i started looking into a solution for myself was that simply backing up GMA900/915 kexts, the OpenGL.framework, and the AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext didn't work for me.

i'm going to figure out how to simply and clearly include alternate directions to this guide to reflect the two different video situations we have going here. i'll also continue referencing the official apple update packages, even though it would be easier for me to use the myzar package as a update source. i thought i was through with this! :)

i will be updating this guide to reflect all these changes, and that you can update from 10.4.4 as well as from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6, using the MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.6Intel.dmg after i finish my Saturday things. :)

yes Quixos what u said doesnt estonnish me let refresh ur memory : 10.4.3 beta worked with GMA900 so u had full support etc. But once 10.4.4 was out using ATI X1600 Apple removed the working GMA900 driver to avoid users without EFI to take the benefit of CE/QI and resolution choice.

I guess it was working for u cause u used the Myzar 10.4.5 that included this 10.4.3 original GMA900 drivers. So from now on 10.4.X u'll have to manually replace those files as u did but not for ATI users until they add EFI support into OpenGL.framework arg!! so be it, im sure Myzar didnt forget the GMA problem as in 10.4.5 let's c

EDITED: in fact MYZAR did as in 10.4.5, he created a EXTENSIONS.DISABLED folders where u have the ATI, GMA drivers, so it should natively use the 10.4.3 GMA drivers and work

Myzar if u read this u can keep the ATI drivers in extensions + framework of 10.4.6 : it works

cyclonefr, did myzar modify a combo update package to install from within 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 or is this something you burn to DVD? i'm not clear on that yet.

nevermind i found the info on IRC. :(

i just need to find it, then i'll be able to update this guide for ATI users, and be done with it until 10.4.7. :D

cyclonefr, did myzar modify a combo update package to install from within 10.4.4 and 10.4.5 or is this something you burn to DVD? i'm not clear on that yet.

As Myzar states : This is a standalone 10.4.6 updater to be run from a working 10.4.5 system

I updated my system successfully (Intel D915 GAV, Intel Celeron D 336, Sapphire ATI X1600 Pro). I rebooted after the update and all worked fine. Then i rebooted again and entered -x -s mode. Then i copied all the contents of the Frameworks_10.4.6_Disabled into /System/Library/Frameworks and that burged my installation as i could see nothing else but artifacts when the LoginManager loaded. The funny thing is that this was supposed to wok (since i have an Intel porcessor). Before my tampering with the Frameworks folder i had CI and QE enabled using a modified AppleAtiX1000.kext .

P.S. Can i make use of the new ATI extensions provided in 10.4.6 with the GPU mentioned above?

denexo, i don't have the updater yet, so don't know what is in the Disabled Frameworks folder to give you any advice.

i'll be incorporating a way to use the appropriate ATI drivers, kexts and various frameworks into the guide as soon as i've looked into it (i have an x800gt, works with koverg), and figure out how to include the directions in a unconfusing and straightforward way. :(

yes as it works for 9700.kext maybe it doesnt for X1600 but i cant imagine that ! except if Apple added into X1600.kext an EFI protection which is mad i think

the only u need my friend to make it work clearly is the OPENGL.framework and then the rest of extensions beginning with X1... enjoy and retry removing all the frameworks

One annoying thing i noticed after applying the myzar 10.4.6 update is that the "Connect to Server" feature stoped working properly. It keeps popping a -50 Unexpected error. Anyone else with this problem?

arf ur right i do have the same problem :s

EDITED i found a fix!!

1) display hidden files under terminal

2) just go into 10.4.4 DVD and directory SBIN

3) copy mount_smbfs to ur C:\SBIN\ and overwrite ur file

4) repair permission

5) restart and it works :(

maybe the mount_udf file causes problem if u have a UDF file to test or other suggestion dont hesitate

I've been using 10.4.3 as the preferred platform of choice. Now I've moved on to 10.4.6.

It has been very nice (camio and flash works good together). Even _np NVidia driver is working.

From this process (thanks quixos), I learned how to selectively apply an update from Apple using pacifist.

It was fun.

Next goal: Installing Xcode and do some coding for powermanagement (fan and temp monitors).

I have update my System to 10.4.6 (quixos-method) and my system works.

- sound works

- network works

- vga (915gl) with qe/ci works

- internet works

my system 10.4.6 is since update a little bit slower as 10.4.5....

arf ur right i do have the same problem :s

EDITED i found a fix!!

1) display hidden files under terminal

2) just go into 10.4.4 DVD and directory SBIN

3) copy mount_smbfs to ur C:\SBIN\ and overwrite ur file

4) repair permission

5) restart and it works :D

maybe the mount_udf file causes problem if u have a UDF file to test or other suggestion dont hesitate

Do you think you can give us a more detailed explanation? Please.. complete noob here. Thanks.