NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

I will save the details for another post (hopefully tomorrow) but I've managed to get things working following your instructions (more or less). In the end, I used a kaly install on another disk to allow me to easily work with the kexts as I'm not great at the terminal. Because things had gone so poorly for me in the past, I ended up installing the kexts basically one at a time. What I learned was that the AppleAHCIPort.kext from your pack caused a kernel panic while being installed. I ended up reinstalling the backed up version (after a failed attempt with the "Legacy" version I found googleing). At this point, I've installed everything except the jmicron kext because I'm not sure if I need that or what I would need that for...

As you suggested, the dual monitors work beautifully.

I'm going to do the backing up now.

Thank you very much for your help!

for the backup if you use the carbon copy cloner program I forgot to mention the backup drive must be formated to "Mac OS extended (journaled)"

as for Jmicron it is only needed if you have IDE device...

my version fix a problem (a system panic) if you had more than 3GB of ram, but the main point of using/replacing it is for IDE access

so if you have SATA only, forget about the Jmicron :-)

about AppleAHCIPort ... Installing one kext at a time can be a problem, some of the kext are dependent on each other, and if it miss a dependancy it may Panic ..., you better install all my package in one shot using kextHelper

it is very strait forward

(however you may omit Jmicron if you don't have IDE drives...)

AppleAHCIPort must be installed at the same time as IOAHCIFamily and IOATAFamily

all three are dependent on each other ... you already experienced what will happen if you don't :-)

With Retail OSX (as with Kaliway) you don't have to use the terminal at all to work with the kexts, kexthelper is all you truly need !!!

If that's the only reason you used kaliway instead of the retail OSX

then I would try installing the retail again

I also can't guaranty my pack of kext to work with kaliway, due to those dependancy issues, due to the "unknown" default modifications there are in the Kalyway install ....

for the backup if you use the carbon copy cloner program I forgot to mention the backup drive must be formated to "Mac OS extended (journaled)"

as for Jmicron it is only needed if you have IDE device...

my version fix a problem (a system panic) if you had more than 3GB of ram, but the main point of using/replacing it is for IDE access

so if you have SATA only, forget about the Jmicron :-)

about AppleAHCIPort ... Installing one kext at a time can be a problem, some of the kext are dependent on each other, and if it miss a dependancy it may Panic ..., you better install all my package in one shot using kextHelper

it is very strait forward

(however you may omit Jmicron if you don't have IDE drives...)

AppleAHCIPort must be installed at the same time as IOAHCIFamily and IOATAFamily

all three are dependent on each other ... you already experienced what will happen if you don't :-)

With Retail OSX (as with Kaliway) you don't have to use the terminal at all to work with the kexts, kexthelper is all you truly need !!!

If that's the only reason you used kaliway instead of the retail OSX

then I would try installing the retail again

I also can't guaranty my pack of kext to work with kaliway, due to those dependancy issues, due to the "unknown" default modifications there are in the Kalyway install ....

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have several hard drives in this computer. The first thing I did was install Kalyway on another (smaller) drive. From there, I formatted my target drive and installed the retail DVD to my main drive. I then performed f-disk using OSX86Tools and Chameleon using 1.0.12 from the Kalyway disk to my new retail install. I then installed the combo updater to 10.5.6 from Kalyway to the retail disk. After removing some kexts, I was able to boot into the retail install without difficulty. Now I had 10.5.6 installed and bootable. At that point, I started using your instructions for the kexts and EFI strings I needed. Again, because of the repeated kernel panics I was having using all the kexts before, I just started doing them one at a time. The very nice thing about having two installs (one retail, one Kalyway) is that I have no intention of updating the Kalyway, rather, I just use it to have access to the retail install when I break things. That means that I'll always have a bootable drive to add and remove kext files as necessary for the retail install. This is perhaps not the most effecient use of hard drive space and not as elegant as just having a signle install but I have to say, it made it much easier for me to get things working because I had a simple way to undo things by booting into the Kalyway install (that's what I mean about not having to use the terminal to uninstall Kexts causing kernel panics).

I didn't come up with this solution on my own - I used Peach-os tutorial with some modifications (using the combo updater, using your kext files etc).

Thanks for the info about the Jmicron - I have 4GB of ram but all SATA drives so I think I will hold off. As for the AppleAHCIPort kext, I guess I could try installing it now that I've installed everything else... Also, I know how to undo it if it does result in a kernel panic. I guess my question would be, do I even need it if things seem okay?

If others would find it helpful, I can try to do a little better job of documenting what I did.

Thanks

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have several hard drives in this computer. The first thing I did was install Kalyway on another (smaller) drive. From there, I formatted my target drive and installed the retail DVD to my main drive. I then performed f-disk using OSX86Tools and Chameleon using 1.0.12 from the Kalyway disk to my new retail install. I then installed the combo updater to 10.5.6 from Kalyway to the retail disk. After removing some kexts, I was able to boot into the retail install without difficulty. Now I had 10.5.6 installed and bootable. At that point, I started using your instructions for the kexts and EFI strings I needed. Again, because of the repeated kernel panics I was having using all the kexts before, I just started doing them one at a time. The very nice thing about having two installs (one retail, one Kalyway) is that I have no intention of updating the Kalyway, rather, I just use it to have access to the retail install when I break things. That means that I'll always have a bootable drive to add and remove kext files as necessary for the retail install. This is perhaps not the most effecient use of hard drive space and not as elegant as just having a signle install but I have to say, it made it much easier for me to get things working because I had a simple way to undo things by booting into the Kalyway install (that's what I mean about not having to use the terminal to uninstall Kexts causing kernel panics).

I didn't come up with this solution on my own - I used Peach-os tutorial with some modifications (using the combo updater, using your kext files etc).

Thanks for the info about the Jmicron - I have 4GB of ram but all SATA drives so I think I will hold off. As for the AppleAHCIPort kext, I guess I could try installing it now that I've installed everything else... Also, I know how to undo it if it does result in a kernel panic. I guess my question would be, do I even need it if things seem okay?

If others would find it helpful, I can try to do a little better job of documenting what I did.

Thanks

Ok I get it about the Kaliway instead of the terminal in the install DVD ^_^

AppleAHCIPort along with IOAHCIFamily and IOATAFamily

are for ICH10 (southbridge) drivers

without those the system should stilll work perfectly

but your Macintosh HD probably has an orange removable drive as an icon, instead of an internal disk icon

these kext will basically fix that, and the system profiler will show ICH10 instead of unknown or whatever there was...

so it is really up to you, as far as I know there was no very bad side effect without those kext

Dear all

I read all above this post but I still have a problem on the audio. I install the leopard from retail DVD. The front connector work properly. I can listen the music from this port. However the back panel still not working. I plug the jack to the green port which windows xp works fine. I use the kext file from this Eliade's post.

What should I do?

Thanks

Dear all

I read all above this post but I still have a problem on the audio. I install the leopard from retail DVD. The front connector work properly. I can listen the music from this port. However the back panel still not working. I plug the jack to the green port which windows xp works fine. I use the kext file from this Eliade's post.

What should I do?

Thanks

Hi

you have to change it though the "System Preference / Sound / Output"

For those with the "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" in the System Profiler, I added the correct device IDs to AppleAHCIPort.kext (from 10.5.6) and it now shows up correctly. PS: I have the GA-EP45C-UD3R board.

Let me know what you think.

and do you get the good HD Icon? if so then your little edit is great

Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3R

Processor: Q6600 @ 3.3 GHz

Video Card: EVGA nVidia GeForce 9500 GT

Cooling: Arctic Freezer Pro 7

DVD-ROM: LG 20x Sata DVD Burner

Hard Drive: WD 320 GB SATA II 16 MB Cache

Hello,

Just wanted to say, this thread was chock-full of information and greatly assisted in getting my retail install of Leopard working perfectly on a UD3R mobo. However, to save others some time, I have uploaded the proper kernel extensions in a .zip that will have everything working (including audio).

Here was my install method:

1.) use grub-dfe to boot from Leopard retail DVD

2.) install Leopard normally, forcefully reboot post-installation

3.) apply all software updates, reboot

4.) keep applying software updates and rebooting (as required)

5.) boot into safe mode with -x and run Uinstaller

Options:

OSx86_Essentials as motherboard

Boot timeout to 5

Native resolution (varies)

Install PC_EFI v9 Chameleon

Apply Ethernet EFI String (Time Machine Fix)

Apply EFI String for video card

Click "Add extra kexts" and integrate the attached.

6. ) Eject boot CD, and then reboot

Voila!

GA_EP45_UD3R_Kext_s.zip

I just bought a new pc to install kalyway 10.5.2 on it, the mother board is EP45-UD3L not UD3R, here are the full list

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz Q6600

MoBo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L

Graphics Card: MSI nVidia 8800 GT 1GB

RAM: Kingstone 2 x 2048 MB DDR2

Hard Disk: WD Caviar Blue 640 GB, 16MB Cache, SATA

The problem is at the format step in the installation it reads the hard disk to be only 128 GB, while it's supposed to be 640 GB!!!! Also the installation took so long, but after it's finished I restarted the PC to put from the Hard Disk and complete installation when I'm at the registration process the PC doesn't read the keyboard :S:S the mouse is working fine but I cant proceed without the keyboard!!

if anybody have a solution for this problem please share it, I need my hackintosh running :S

Hi

you have to change it though the "System Preference / Sound / Output"

and do you get the good HD Icon? if so then your little edit is great

Thanks

I got it already. I thought all audio kext files have not the same sound quality. Now I put the old SB-Live into my mac and the sound quality is great.

I still have some annoying problems. When the mac go to sleep and if I want to reanimate it. I have to push the power button. How can I use mouse or keyboard to bring my mac back?

Hmm - couldn't get networking going during or after the install - everything else seems to be working. Anyone else with this problem? According to to the preferences built in ethernet is active, but is using self assigned IP. I've rebooted and fixed permissions etc.

EDIT - fixed the networking, I remember seeing UUID and "network interface not found" as the last messages before boot, so I grabbed my iPC install and booted from the DVD, reinstalled the realtek driver and the UUID fix, and all is well. time machine works as well.

What I don't get is that I have the same board as everyone else, yet I didn't have basic networking while doing the install. The only difference I can think of is that I used the full 10.5.6 retail, but most are using slightly older, correct?

anyhow now I have to figure out how to extract the drivers from the iPC install and put them into the UInstaller!

Hop this helps someone

PS ignore the sig it's old

BOOT 132 CD :)

anyone about to (re)install OSX and want to try out my freshly made boot 132 CD ?

(please give me feedback if you do use it)

DOWNLOAD HERE: GA_EP45_UD3R.iso.zip

--> if you have the retail DVD on a DVD

then after booting on the CD you probably only have to switch the CD for the retail OSX DVD and is should work ...

--> If you have the retail DVD on a usb HD, or after the install is over:

after booting on the cd

press F8

press [ESC]

type in the number of the HD drive you want to boot on, probably 80 or 81

press Enter to validate

press Enter to boot

(sorry there are these few steps but I can't do better...)

Hello,

i'd like to try the Eliade's tuto to install 10.5.6 retail on my EP45-UD3R, but i have a stupid problem : when I boot on this Boot132 CD, i get the error "System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/comp.apple.Boot.plist' not found". And I cant switch to the retail DVD, it doesnt boot.

I have the same message with grub-dfe, but then I can boot on the Retail DVD. (I'm actually trying the agntsgotnosecret's tutorial, but its still not working ; EDIT : it seems to work very well !).

Did I missed something ? I have to modify this iso before burning it ?

Thanks a lot if someone can help me !

My "PC" :

EP45-UD3R (optimized default + AHCI + Jmicron disabled)

E8400 (333*9)

2*2Go DDR2 6400

2*640Go WD Caviar Blue

Pioneer 216 SATA

Asus 8500GT silent 512Mo

Thanks

I got it already. I thought all audio kext files have not the same sound quality. Now I put the old SB-Live into my mac and the sound quality is great.

I still have some annoying problems. When the mac go to sleep and if I want to reanimate it. I have to push the power button. How can I use mouse or keyboard to bring my mac back?

Yeah same for me, but that's the way it works on my Macbook Pro

when the computer sleeps I have to press the power button, not an issue on a laptop...

I don't know how it would actually work on a MacPro (the tower Mac)

What I don't get is that I have the same board as everyone else, yet I didn't have basic networking while doing the install. The only difference I can think of is that I used the full 10.5.6 retail, but most are using slightly older, correct?

yes I'm using 10.5.4 Retail, but that's not the issue

no body gets even basic networking during install

well actually it depends on the boot132 cd, the networking drivers must be on it in order to have basic networking

if you used grub-dfe.iso, networking driver are not on it

my boot 132 CD has them, but I never tried my boot132 with "retail DVD" DVD, I used the "retail DVD" restored on an USB HD , which worked very well at least for getting basic networking

anyhow now I have to figure out how to extract the drivers from the iPC install and put them into the UInstaller!

that doesn't make sense

what is an iPC, is it you hackintosh

then it really doesn't make sense :-)

Hello,

i'd like to try the Eliade's tuto to install 10.5.6 retail on my EP45-UD3R, but i have a stupid problem : when I boot on this Boot132 CD, i get the error "System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/comp.apple.Boot.plist' not found". And I cant switch to the retail DVD, it doesnt boot.

I have the same message with grub-dfe, but then I can boot on the Retail DVD. (I'm actually trying the agntsgotnosecret's tutorial, but its still not working ; EDIT : it seems to work very well !).

Did I missed something ? I have to modify this iso before burning it ?

Thanks a lot if someone can help me !

My "PC" :

EP45-UD3R (optimized default + AHCI + Jmicron disabled)

E8400 (333*9)

2*2Go DDR2 6400

2*640Go WD Caviar Blue

Pioneer 216 SATA

Asus 8500GT silent 512Mo

mmm weird

as I said I never tried my boot132 with "retail DVD" DVD, I used the "retail DVD" restored on an USB HD

and the install worked great

Well I have everything working now...

I used a retail copy of 10.5.6 and grub dfe with ide dvd support.

audio works great including digital out

evga 9800gtx+ sc working - no problems

network etc.

I was stuck for a while until I read the AHCI bios setting stuff. THANKS!!!!!

Here's my only problem. It says my processor is unknown in about this mac.

I don't really care what it says but I can't install parallels. Is there a work around or fix for this?

I'm using an E7400 overclocked to 3.8ghz. If set the fsb to normal will it recognize the cpu?

If I change it to say something else in osxtools will parallels work?

Here's my only problem. It says my processor is unknown in about this mac.

I don't really care what it says but I can't install parallels. Is there a work around or fix for this?

I'm using an E7400 overclocked to 3.8ghz. If set the fsb to normal will it recognize the cpu?

If I change it to say something else in osxtools will parallels work?

USE THIS LINK! WORKED FOR ME.

Great thread everyone!

This is really a one stop shop; just about anything you could need to get one of these boards running is here.

I've been working on my Gigabyte machine for the last week, and have just about everything working (check my sig for system details), but need some help fixing a few final things:

- My GFX display will go absolute whack if I choose a screen saver (I think I selected "Spectrum"), then click on "Show with clock, then click the "Test" button. Let it sit for awhile and then the screen graphics become corrupted and you can't recover without power cycling. Can someone else see if this happens on their system?

- My other issue is in About This Mac; my memory shows as only running at 400MHz. I don't want to artificially change this to say "1600", what I want is to know what speed they are actually running at. Secondly then would be how to get the modules to be detected correctly.

- I've got to get sound working and my question, "Is it possible to get sound working by only implementing an EFI string?"

Thanks all, you are truly awesome and thank each and every one of you who took the time to share, post, and help others with your findings.

Mammoth

please help me..!

I have a computer,

P4 2.8 Ghz (support SSE 3), MB Gigabyte G31M-ES2C, RAM 4 Gb DDR, VGA onboard Intel GMA 3100, HDD SATA 160 Gb.

I instal iAtkos v4.1 10.5.4 and success. But i can't go to Mac OSX dekstop coz when boot there is problem "System boot failure,please insert disk system and press enter".

what should i do? :help:

Thanks..

please help me..!

I have a computer,

P4 2.8 Ghz (support SSE 3), MB Gigabyte G31M-ES2C, RAM 4 Gb DDR, VGA onboard Intel GMA 3100, HDD SATA 160 Gb.

I instal iAtkos v4.1 10.5.4 and success. But i can't go to Mac OSX dekstop coz when boot there is problem "System boot failure,please insert disk system and press enter".

what should i do? :unsure:

Thanks..

Different motherboards are... gasp... different! Try to find a thread for that motherboard or post a new thread.

I followed agntsgotnosecret steps AND zipfile! YES it's working! Didn't go into save-mode. Installed EFI-string for my 8800GTS QI is working :) Used A Intel NIC (3C905-tx-m),this one works out of the box so no crappy Realtek with low throughput (can use XP-drivers for Vista). Used boot-132 but, I think, it doesn't really mather.

Setup Time Machine but I don't like it. I would like to configure what, how, when and where. In my opinion Time Capsule is a "My First Sony" Util :D . I'm going to look into rsync.

- My other issue is in About This Mac; my memory shows as only running at 400MHz. I don't want to artificially change this to say "1600", what I want is to know what speed they are actually running at. Secondly then would be how to get the modules to be detected correctly.

I think this is governed by the AppleSMBios.kext isn't it? Depending on which package of fixes you downloaded or what install disk (retail? Kalyway? other?) that will probably fix this.

- I've got to get sound working and my question, "Is it possible to get sound working by only implementing an EFI string?"
A String? Almost. You still need a patched AppleHDA.kext in order for the EFI string to work. Search this thread, there is one here, just can't remember exactly where. The audio package on very first post of this thread does work, but uses an injector of which I am not a huge fan. I try to keep my machines as vanilla as possible. Good luck.

can someone confirm sleep is working on this board. there are a few conflicting posts in this thread

sleep works.

BUT usb attached HD or flash drive gets disconnected abruptly ( without being ejected safely) when you wake up the computer, and reconnected half a second later, therefore you get the warning message about device being disconnected without being safely ejected first...

So you better eject them before sleeping the computer, to avoid any corrupted data...

...as long as you don't have a usb HD or Flash drive attached, then consider sleep to work perfectly well...

@ the people with this board:

If that sleep issue doesn't happen to you, I'd like a copy of all your kext to experiment with...

I think this is governed by the AppleSMBios.kext isn't it? Depending on which package of fixes you downloaded or what install disk (retail? Kalyway? other?) that will probably fix this.

A String? Almost. You still need a patched AppleHDA.kext in order for the EFI string to work. Search this thread, there is one here, just can't remember exactly where. The audio package on very first post of this thread does work, but uses an injector of which I am not a huge fan. I try to keep my machines as vanilla as possible. Good luck.

Thanks BigPapa206 - I've got my audio working about 85% -- still have to check it out more, but I have some line-out, Mic, Line-in working, and most slider controls, but when doing a line-in, I can't hear it simultaneously on a line-out. Also, I have NO digital in or out, and that's what I need.

If anyone has more fully working audio, I would love to hear from you about how you did it.

How do I find the most appropriate AppleSMBios.kext for my board and OS? I did a clean install with Boot-132 and straight from the 10.5.6 retail DVD.

Thanks all

can someone confirm sleep is working on this board. there are a few conflicting posts in this thread

Yes, sleep is working sweet for me. I wish Windows could wake-up this cleanly and fast. It's quite amazing. I will test my system with waking up with USB connected and let you all know.

I have been trying to install Leopard on this board for 2 days now. My system is:

GA-EP45-UD3R

C2Q Q6600

Sapphire Radeon HD3870

Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12

EarthWatts 430W PSU in Antec case

I have turned off built-in 1394, LAN, and JMicron driven purple SATA sockets, then:

• plugged WD 1Tb Caviar Green into first yellow SATA socket
  • plugged Samsung SATA DVD into second socket
  • set SATA to AHCI in Advanced BIOS

I have tried grub-dfe, boot132, iDeneb 1.3, JaS 10.5.4 and vanilla retail 10.5.5 after grub-dfe. Every time I get the same thing - com.apple.boot.plist cannot be found, which - if I proceed anyway - is followed by kernel panic or request for restart.

This excellent thread/topic seems to suggest that this board is totally capable of a Leopard install - what is going wrong?

Many, many thanks for any suggestions.