NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Sleep works great for me but I have to renew the DHCP lease to get the network working every time I wake up from sleep.

Any suggestions?

Set a static IP for your machine ;)

I have been trying to install Leopard on this board for 2 days now. My system is:

GA-EP45-UD3R

C2Q Q6600

Sapphire Radeon HD3870

Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12

EarthWatts 430W PSU in Antec case

I have turned off built-in 1394, LAN, and JMicron driven purple SATA sockets, then:

• plugged WD 1Tb Caviar Green into first yellow SATA socket
  • plugged Samsung SATA DVD into second socket
  • set SATA to AHCI in Advanced BIOS

I have tried grub-dfe, boot132, iDeneb 1.3, JaS 10.5.4 and vanilla retail 10.5.5 after grub-dfe. Every time I get the same thing - com.apple.boot.plist cannot be found, which - if I proceed anyway - is followed by kernel panic or request for restart.

This excellent thread/topic seems to suggest that this board is totally capable of a Leopard install - what is going wrong?

Many, many thanks for any suggestions.

there are two places to set AHCI, it's on the same BIOS page, did you do that?

Besides the AHCI I didn't change anything in the bios, So no need to disable Lan, Firewire or purple sata, or anything else

as you already did, don't plug anything in the purple sata, unless you know what you're doing...

can someone confirm sleep is working on this board. there are a few conflicting posts in this thread

Sleep works great for me. It wakes with the mouse or keyboard and there are no issues on waking. I have no external HDs and use a wifi card.

I'm following Auzigogs tutorial.

When it comes to 6. Use Universal OSx86 Installer

I dont select Native Resolution or gfx strings because im using nvinstaller that seems to be working for me

After i click on Install and restart the system and then i get a Kernel panic.

I can boot into my os with my boot cd

What should i do ?

Also

I have a XFX Geforce 9800GT I've tried to do the Strings and still doesnt seem to work properly, currently im using NvInstaller id rather use strings.

Any help would be appreciaited

with iDeneb 10.5.6 and this Giga main I have a problem with detecting usb flash or External hard !!

is there any patch for usb ?

thanX

USB worked out of the box for me. Used a retail disk for my install so therein might lie your problem.

My system has been running great for the last few months, thanks again to all of you! I do have one problem that I'd like to get some help with:

Under System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options there is only one option "Allow Power button to sleep computer". However, I know from looking at my macbook that there are other options that should be there (the one I want has to do with waking for ethernet admin access).

Does this have something to do with SMBIOS, ACPIplatform, or something else? My kexts in the EFI partitions are as follows:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAHCIPort

AppleSMBIOS

Disabler

dsmos

HDAEnabler

InterlCPUPMDisabler

IOAHCIFamily

IOATAFamily

JMicronATA

OpenHaltRestart

If anyone could check their Energy Saver Options and see if they have any options other than what I wrote above I would appreciate it!

Audio has been working great for me... but I never needed the audio input until now.

neither line input or mic input is working for me.

used hdaenabler and latest 889hda kexts.

I used kext helper to install those kexts.

any suggestions for me? I'm new at this...

Audio has been working great for me... but I never needed the audio input until now.

neither line input or mic input is working for me.

used hdaenabler and latest 889hda kexts.

I used kext helper to install those kexts.

any suggestions for me? I'm new at this...

Got it working... thanks all!!!!!!!

now i'm going to try out those garageband lessons w/ my electric guitar.

Got it working... thanks all!!!!!!!

now i'm going to try out those garageband lessons w/ my electric guitar.

Glad you got it working and please don't take this the wrong way but posting a message saying only that doesn't help the thread. So for the benefit of those who come after us, what did you do to fix it? If you found certain/special files, maybe a heads up on a link will help others not have to go through the same mistakes. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

My system has been running great for the last few months, thanks again to all of you! I do have one problem that I'd like to get some help with:

Under System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options there is only one option "Allow Power button to sleep computer". However, I know from looking at my macbook that there are other options that should be there (the one I want has to do with waking for ethernet admin access).

Does this have something to do with SMBIOS, ACPIplatform, or something else? My kexts in the EFI partitions are as follows:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAHCIPort

AppleSMBIOS

Disabler

dsmos

HDAEnabler

InterlCPUPMDisabler

IOAHCIFamily

IOATAFamily

JMicronATA

OpenHaltRestart

If anyone could check their Energy Saver Options and see if they have any options other than what I wrote above I would appreciate it!

mine does not show up either

that would be needed for Wake On Lan, right ?

Have you tried a Wake On Lan yet, maybe the option is somehow activated by default, but I doubt so...

I know I'll need that in the near future too

My second machine however does have the option, it also a Boot132 with retail disk install

it a shuttle K45, so it has different kext

so I just wanted to point that hackintosh can have the option if everything is right :-)

if you find a fix could you keep me up to date by posting to this thread, thanks

I'll do the same if I find it first...

just a thought, have you check the bios to see if a Wake On Lan option is available and activated

I can't shut down my computer now to check as I have an active webserver running in a virtual machine

This is really a wonderful machine, it's now my Workstation I do 3D animation and rendering on it, and I have a web-server in a virtual machine running 24/7 (the Quad core helps a lot)

this board never saw Windows:-) (except in a virtual machine)

Glad you got it working and please don't take this the wrong way but posting a message saying only that doesn't help the thread. So for the benefit of those who come after us, what did you do to fix it? If you found certain/special files, maybe a heads up on a link will help others not have to go through the same mistakes. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

No problem... I had to set the input to "internal mic" and then use the pink mic in jack on the io panel. No other changes.

Just a heads up. If you want to connect a guitar to the mac, I'd recommend using a box that connects the guitar via usb instead of using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter . The sound quality is not that great with the analog connection. Lots of static every time you touch the volume on the guitar.

Just a heads up. If you want to connect a guitar to the mac, I'd recommend using a box that connects the guitar via usb instead of using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter . The sound quality is not that great with the analog connection. Lots of static every time you touch the volume on the guitar.

You would not want to connect the guitar straight to the input because of the impedance mismatch. Have you

tried a DI Box? This addresses the impedance mismatch. Might be cheaper than a new USB audio interface.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

What was your latency? Is 24/96 supported?

Hi,

So I seem to be having an odd issue with my EP45-UD3R Setup. Ok first of this tread has been awesome and a great read... in fact it was the reason I purchased the board! :whistle: Anyways my system works beautifully. However for some odd reason my esata add on card (that ships with unit) does not work in OSX with my external esata enclosure. This does work as I boot windows from this very system and works great... just not in osx at all.. I realize this is nothing more than a glorified sata cord.. and the system should see the drive yet it don't.

Again it is problem free since day 1 (which was Saturday) OTB.. only thing I needed was EFI string my 8600GT 512 card. Everything works perfect.. just no esata

So below is my setup:

4gb DDR 800 ram

1 500gb sata HD all OSX GUID partiton on sata0

2 sata dvd drives on sata 2 - 3

esata card addon installed to sata 4-5

Install source is "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 (Final).iso"

Kernel: Vanilla

Video: Asus 8600GT 512mb EFI STRING

Chipset drivers: Intel ICH10 SATA

Audio: ALC889

Realteak 1000, Patched USB driver, PowerManagement Package,Dual boot time sync,shudown/restart fix, patch DSDT, SMBIOSResolver

Motherboard is rev 1.1 Bios F5 (as shipped)

onboard IDE is disabled (not using purple sata connectors)

onboard COM port disabled

SATA AHCI Mode" to "AHCI"

SATA Port0-1 Native Mode" to "Enabled"

Wondering if anyone has this issue with esata with osx... or is esata even recognizable by osx?

Thanks.. keep up the great work everyone

Hi,

So I seem to be having an odd issue with my EP45-UD3R Setup. Ok first of this tread has been awesome and a great read... in fact it was the reason I purchased the board! :rolleyes: Anyways my system works beautifully. However for some odd reason my esata add on card (that ships with unit) does not work in OSX with my external esata enclosure. This does work as I boot windows from this very system and works great... just not in osx at all.. I realize this is nothing more than a glorified sata cord.. and the system should see the drive yet it don't.

Again it is problem free since day 1 (which was Saturday) OTB.. only thing I needed was EFI string my 8600GT 512 card. Everything works perfect.. just no esata

So below is my setup:

4gb DDR 800 ram

1 500gb sata HD all OSX GUID partiton on sata0

2 sata dvd drives on sata 2 - 3

esata card addon installed to sata 4-5

Install source is "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF5 (Final).iso"

Kernel: Vanilla

Video: Asus 8600GT 512mb EFI STRING

Chipset drivers: Intel ICH10 SATA

Audio: ALC889

Realteak 1000, Patched USB driver, PowerManagement Package,Dual boot time sync,shudown/restart fix, patch DSDT, SMBIOSResolver

Motherboard is rev 1.1 Bios F5 (as shipped)

onboard IDE is disabled (not using purple sata connectors)

onboard COM port disabled

SATA AHCI Mode" to "AHCI"

SATA Port0-1 Native Mode" to "Enabled"

Wondering if anyone has this issue with esata with osx... or is esata even recognizable by osx?

Thanks.. keep up the great work everyone

Very strange. eSATA works fine for me with the added card that was included in the box. I have even booted a drive from the eSATA enclosure. My kexts are listed a few posts up, so I don't know if that helps. Maybe it is caused by the DSDT file? I am not running one and do not notice any issues... maybe try removing that? Also what is the PowerManagement Package? I'll keep looking and try and find an answer for you.

Very strange. eSATA works fine for me with the added card that was included in the box. I have even booted a drive from the eSATA enclosure. My kexts are listed a few posts up, so I don't know if that helps. Maybe it is caused by the DSDT file? I am not running one and do not notice any issues... maybe try removing that? Also what is the PowerManagement Package? I'll keep looking and try and find an answer for you.

You know, now that I look back I really didn't need to install the DSDT patch.. As the base install is already 10.5.6. I will remove that and see if there is a change, the PowerManagement Package is superhi pack.. not sure all the fixes it applys, will check on that. I tried to keep it as vanillia as possible..All I know is everything works like a champ, even sleep is flawless, could not be happier :)

I will post my results after DSDT removal.

Thanks

Removal of DSDT made no difference.

Rather than screw with my good working system

I took a spare HD and did a complete base install with no DSDT add on and attempted it on the system..

Not sure what is up.. Like I stated the enclosure works.

I have 2 partitions on the esata drive, basically 50/50 of 500gb

Main Partition is GUID Time Machine backup..

Second Partition is NTFS

Using my real apple I have, it does see these..

USB on the drive will work and the hackintosh can see both with no prob.

I see no entries in the logs ...

Hmmmmmmmm ;)

UPDATE **********

So I had a idea... what if something in the bios is preventing HOT SWAP of esata.

So I left it plugged in, rebooted, noticed the system pickup the drive.. booted into os/x and *POOF*

The drive is present! Sooo now begs the question, what in the bios would prevent the drive from hot swap?

Removal of DSDT made no difference.

That's because (as I've told many in other threads) DSDT patching is NOT necessary. It was for the betas of 10.5.6 but the final release did not require it at all. Now in the future we might need to go down this road, like with Snow Leopard, and who knows, maybe they will incorporate this into the next build of Chameleon.

That's because (as I've told many in other threads) DSDT patching is NOT necessary.

That's what I thought too

BUT, on the shuttle k45, the DSDT allows us to use the included video kext that comes with the OSX install, avoid artifacts and have the resolution choices...

I know the video is not an issue on the ud3r, but just pointing that the DSDT can be very grateful on some system...

so maybe the DSDT can fix some sleep issue about usb flash drive being disconnected & reconnected after waking up... who knows !

Hello,

Could someone post their BIOS settings or what they've changed? Everytime I try and install any OS, my machine crashes. Thanks for the information or any other suggestions.

For all that are wondering what bios ver .. It does not matter... I have used F5 and now F7 (cpu fan speed fixes etc) Also This works for both Motherboard REV 1.0 and 1.1 -> Do note that the bios files are different for each rev so don't put a rev 1.0 on a 1.1 board and vise versa :)

Credit goes to bigpoppa206 for this post.. below is what he recommends, I followed it, works great! Keep in mind this assumes you are NOT using the purple sata/ ports or IDE ports / FLOPPY / COM / PARALLEL as they are disabled.. Basically 100% sata

You do not install any jmicron drivers, as they are not needed.

BIOS SETTINGS:

Standard CMOS Features:

1. Change the Date and Time to the correct values

2. Set "Drive A" to "None"

3. Set "Floppy 3 Mode Support" to "Disabled'

4. Set "Halt On" to "All, But Keyboard"

Advanced BIOS Features:

1. Set "First Boot Device" to "CDROM"

2. Set "Second Boot Device" to "Hard Disk"

3. Set "Third Boot Device" to "Disabled"

4. Set "HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability" to "Enabled"

5. Set "Limit CPUID Max. to 3" to "Disabled"

6 Set "No-Execute Memory Protect" to "Enabled"

7. Set "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Enabled"

8. Set "CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"

9. Set "CPU EIST Function" to "Enabled"

10. Set "Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled"

11. Set "Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

12. Set "Init Display First" to "PEG"

Integrated Peripherals:

1. Set "SATA AHCI Mode" to "AHCI"

2. Set "SATA Port0-1 Native Mode" to "Enabled"

3. Set "USB Controller" to "Enabled"

4. Set "USB 2.0 Controller" to "Enabled"

5. Set "USB Keyboard Support" to "Enabled"

6. Set "USB Mouse Support" to "Enabled"

7. Set "Legacy USB storage detect" to "Enabled"

8. Set "Azalea Codec" to "Auto"

9. Set "Onboard H/W LAN" to "Disabled" (unless you plan on just living with the onboard Ethernet quirks)

10. Set "Onboard IDE Controller" to "Disabled" (unless you plan on using the IDE ports)

11. Set "Onboard Serial Port 1" to "Disabled. Set "Onboard Parallel Port" to Disabled"

Power Management Setup:

1. Set "ACPI Suspend Type" to "S3(STR)"

2. Set "Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN" to "Instant-Off"

3. Set "PME Event Wake Up" to "Disabled"

4. Set "Power On by Ring" to "Disabled"

5. Set "Resume by Alarm" to "Disabled"

6. Set "HPET Support" to "Enabled"

7. Set "HPET Mode" to "64-bit mode"

8. Set "Power On By Mouse" to "Disabled"

9. Set "Power On By Keyboard" to "Disabled"

10. Set "AC Back Function" to "Soft-Off"

That's it! Exit BIOS and save your settings.

I've been trying to get the audio to work on the install I just created but even with these files: no luck.

I mean it recognizes the card...just no interfaces post-18532-1236301236_thumb.png

did you use the audio kext from the very first post of this thread ?

Hi everybody,

Thanks to everybody in this thread for providing so much great info about the GA-EP45-UD3R. I've been reading over many of the posts in this thread, but I am still having issues.

First, my setup:

GA-EP45-UD3R

Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz E8400

4GB DDR2 800 (G.Skill)

Asus EN8400GGS Silent

2 HD (one SATA, one IDE)

Pioneer SATA DVD drive

I've been working for the last day or so on getting a vanilla install (actual retail DVD, not burned) using BOOT-132. I've tried very many kext combinations, but most go right to the "restart now" screen when the retail disk boots. I have a few combinations that get to the grey apple logo with the spinning wheel, and one combo gets to the leopard space background with a spinning color wheel. That is as far as I have gotten.

My Boot-132 disk is made from this method: Boot-132 Disc Maker

My BIOS is set to optimized default with the following changes: both ACHI settings turned on, and the boot device order changed.

What could be causing me to have different results than most people here? Any suggestions for even getting into the installer? I'm not worried about sound/LAN right now, I just want to make some progress with an install.

Could the HD's be an issue? Should I just disconnect the IDE drive? (although, I would rather install onto this drive, it is the smaller one)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.