NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

I am using a burnt retail DVD. Had a CPU Drop in DVD of Leopard upgrade, and ISOed it and followed this guide (http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/12/12791/) to fix it to a standard leopard dvd (renaming the ISO, and deleting 1 file), and reburnt it to a DL-DVD. Worked perfectly to install on my MSI Wind via boot132.

Could this be the problem? I can obtain an original leopard disk if absolutely needed.

I have also tried booting off of the CPU Drop in DVD and got the same result (original DVD from apple). That DVD should boot afaik, but will not install as it does not recognize an existing version of Mac OS X.

Start the DVD using the -v prompt so you can see where it hangs.

I did have an issue with a burnt version of 10.5.4. Only after I reburned it using Disk Utility on my Mac Book Pro at the slowest speed did I get the install to start.

Start the DVD using the -v prompt so you can see where it hangs.

I did have an issue with a burnt version of 10.5.4. Only after I reburned it using Disk Utility on my Mac Book Pro at the slowest speed did I get the install to start.

I will try that when I get home - I would be VERY surprised if the DVD was the issue. I don't think that it was hanging anywhere - when I moved the mouse around stuff would change on screen. I do not know enough about the boot132 method, but I would guess it is a graphics card issue (but isn't the 2600xt one of the better gpu's for a hackintosh?).

Do I have to make a custom boot132 disk with the graphics kexts or efi strings or something? Or if I can get into the installer at all (I can see the apple screen), would that mean I don't need to mess with teh disk?

I will try that when I get home - I would be VERY surprised if the DVD was the issue. I don't think that it was hanging anywhere - when I moved the mouse around stuff would change on screen. I do not know enough about the boot132 method, but I would guess it is a graphics card issue (but isn't the 2600xt one of the better gpu's for a hackintosh?).

Do I have to make a custom boot132 disk with the graphics kexts or efi strings or something? Or if I can get into the installer at all (I can see the apple screen), would that mean I don't need to mess with teh disk?

Got the installer DVD to boot - reformatting my drive to GUID as we speak. Using Grub-DFE.iso and running with -x. slow as all hell to get the installer up, but we'll see if I can get anything working.

edit: got it working - had to boot using -x for both the installer and the mac os x partition until I installed the Natit.kext and added the PCI ID to the ATIx2000.kext file. After that, a reboot booted straight into the OS! I'm sure this could be overcome by using a modified boot132 disk, but it really isn't a hassle, so no biggie.

I didn't change anything in the bios except for AHCI mode ...

everything else is "Optimized Default"

are you talking about the HPET mode : 32bit - 64bit

mine is on 32bit... and I have the problem with my system

anyway it's clear that the JMicronATA.kext is the source of the problem, but is needed to have IDE HD to show up...

Mine is 64-bit and works fine, 8 gigs of DDR2.

I can boot into OSX without the boot disc but I can't seem to turn off the PC without hard powering it off, which isn't a big deal but a small annoyance. Reset is the same way, have to do it from the tower.

You need the OpenHaltRestart.kext.

Does anyone else have problems getting CPU Temp monitors to work? I have the kexts that fix the "About This Mac" tab, but it still won't show its an Intel CPU or anything, just that its 2.40gHz processor. Is this just one of the quirks that we'll have to live with?

BOOT 132 CD ;)

anyone about to (re)install OSX and want to try out my freshly made boot 132 CD ?

(please give me feedback if you do use it)

DOWNLOAD HERE: GA_EP45_UD3R.iso.zip

--> if you have the retail DVD on a DVD

then after booting on the CD you probably only have to switch the CD for the retail OSX DVD and is should work ...

--> If you have the retail DVD on a usb HD, or after the install is over:

after booting on the cd

press F8

press [ESC]

type in the number of the HD drive you want to boot on, probably 80 or 81

press Enter to validate

press Enter to boot

(sorry there are these few steps but I can't do better...)

here are the few advantages over grub-dfe.iso:

it is designed specifically for our motherboard UD3R (and similar ones like the UD3P)

you can boot on SATA and IDE drives...

DURING INSTALL:

installing on SATA and IDE HD (should work)

and no kernel panic even if using over 3GB of ram (I fixed the problem for our motherboard earlier)

AFTER INSTALL:

when install is over you can boot onto OSX (IDE or SATA):

SATA and IDE will show up and work (no kernel panic again due to IDE)

Ethernet will work

shutdown will work (reboot and sleep was already supposed to work)

Sound may partially work (but don't count on it...)

you may experience graphic glitches (you would too when using grub-dfe.iso)

I guess that's all you really need for a fresh install... and updating to last version of OSX

then install some sort of booter (I personally use chameleon 1.0.12 aka PCEFIv9) and your kext... but you probably already know that...

apply EFI string for your Video card acceleration

EFI for Ethernet (suposetly time machine fix)

for kext I recommend the kext from grindliner on page 3 (Post #54)

but use appleHDA.kext (sound) and JmicronATA.kext (very important, most stable of all) from skx kext on first post of this thread

and openhaltrestart.kext for full shutdown fix...

most of those kext are the one I used on this boot 132 CD

@ skx: after someone has used it successfully you may add it your first post if you wish

I grabbed a couple RCA panel-mount jacks and some extra cables that had 2-pin connectors on them and made an SPDIF IN and (an additional) SPDIF OUT jack. They work great in Logic... I'm using them with an Apogee Rosetta 200 A/D D/A converter... fairly low latency and I don't need to rely on my M-Audio Audiophile 192 card anymore for digital I/O.

Awesome!

Hello skx!

Thanks for this guide so far, it has been great! I have a very capable install on a GA-EP45-UD3R largely thanks to your experimentation! I have, coming in the mail, a Gigabyte Digital IN bracket that connects to the 3 pin header (Digital Optical and Coaxial in). It sounds like you have digital coaxial in working - does this show up in system preferences too?

I do not have the cable yet, but from what I have read about AppleHDA, digital in is currently disabled, as well as two of the output jacks.

How exactly did you get this to work? I haven't tried myself yet as I do not have the bracket yet, but I figured I would already be able to see it in the system preferences.

Is anyone else having trouble getting sound to work after 10.5.6 update?

You need to into System Preferences and select Sound then select Output and re-select Internal Speakers. For some reason known only to Apple, the 10.5.6 update changes your preferences.

Little info about the JMicronATA.kext I modified earlier (the one now posted on skx first post)

it's still not perfect, it was working better with 4GB of ram

anyway, jmicron at some point might stop working, in other words you lose access to your IDE hard drive

it happens when you try to access a folder on it, it will try displaying the folder for about 30sec then display a "Device Removal" warning, and drives won't be accessible anymore

it might but due to sleeping the drive (on by default which I like a lot), but I don't really know, so turning this feature OFF could be the fix (I'll try that for now)

only thing to do is reboot...

uh oh, while I was typing this with my laptop the Gygabyte board just received a kernel panic (I had just lost access to my IDE drive 5 min eariler)

it worked so well for the last few days...

OK that's it for me...

I'm going to stop worrying about these IDE drive by either trying to sell them as soon as possible and get SATA instead

or get a Sata/IDE interface that plugs into the IDE drive... (about 6$ on ebay per HD)

EDIT : turn off the "put HD to sleep when possible" option, in System Pref / Energy saver

I'm 90% sure that this was my problem

Little info about the JMicronATA.kext I modified earlier (the one now posted on skx first post)

anyway, jmicron at some point might stop working, in other words you lose access to your IDE hard drive

it happens when you try to access a folder on it, it will try displaying the folder for about 30sec then display a "Device Removal" warning, and drives won't be accessible anymore

it might but due to sleeping the drive (on by default which I like a lot), but I don't really know, so turning this feature OFF could be the fix (I'll try that for now)

uh oh, while I was typing this with my laptop the Gygabyte board just received a kernel panic (I had just lost access to my IDE drive 5 min eariler)

OK that's it for me...

I'm going to stop worrying about these IDE drive by either trying to sell them as soon as possible and get SATA instead

or get a Sata/IDE interface that plugs into the IDE drive... (about 6$ on ebay per HD)

Damn - I wanted to be able to use IDE drives. Not super fond of the idea of a IDE--> Sata converter. Are there any PCI IDE cards compatible (preferably natively) with a retail install? 2 IDE channels would be great on the PCI card, but 1 is fine). I tried looking in the HCL, and it did not say much.

OK that's it for me...

I wonder if anyone else could try this kext http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...127611&st=0 for the JMicron. I know Eliade tried it, but I'm curious if it will cause a KP for all of us during boot. I will try it soon, and likley regret doing so, but its always worth a shot.

I've been using Eliade's new JMicronATA.kext with 8GB of RAM and so far not a single kernel panic. Once I got a freeze but that might be unrelated. I have 2 internal SATA drives and 2 internal PATA drives, along with a mix of external drives, and everything seems to be humming along nicely.

EDIT : turn off the "put HD to sleep when possible" option, in System Pref / Energy saver

I'm 90% sure that this was my problem

When that whole thing happened MacOS probably had trouble waking up the drive this time and the folder I tried to access had 50GB of files in it (not helping) ..., and took to long so JmicronATA may have decided to quit working (losing access to IDE HD), the system didn't like that and decided to panic few minutes later ...

just an idea, but that would make sense, just hopping that was it and now having a stable system

time will tell...

I wonder if anyone else could try this kext http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...127611&st=0 for the JMicron. I know Eliade tried it, but I'm curious if it will cause a KP for all of us during boot. I will try it soon, and likley regret doing so, but its always worth a shot.

yeah get ready

if it does crash at boot :blink:

you'll need to boot onto the install DVD

and from there use the terminal to get rid of the defective one and replace it with a working one... :wacko:

that's what I had to do to save my install, without reinstalling :D

reboot :D

the few command needed if you don't know are

cd path_to_folder to change folder

sudo rm -r path_to_foler/JMicronATA.kext to delete, you need -r because kext files are folder (you probably know that)

sudo cp -r path_to_folder/JMicronATA.kext path_tocopy//JMicronATA.kext to copy

I've been using Eliade's new JMicronATA.kext with 8GB of RAM and so far not a single kernel panic. Once I got a freeze but that might be unrelated. I have 2 internal SATA drives and 2 internal PATA drives, along with a mix of external drives, and everything seems to be humming along nicely.

That's good to hear... :)

Well the kernel panic I received after losing access to the IDE drives might be unrelated, as I didn't boot with the debug option to get some info during kernel panic, but it all happened within 5mins, the computer was running for the last few day without trouble... so I think it was related ...

I disabled "HD sleep" and since the last bad experience I didn't get a kernel panic, but I need to run few more days before I decide that is the reason (the HD was sleeping when the lose of access and the short after Kernel panic happened)...

Anyway in my opinion it still more stable than other option when using more than 3GB... :D

the other JMicronATA might be a lot more stable, but with the requirement of running 3GB or less :mellow:

I just bought one IDE to SATA adapter for 6.30$ free shipping on ebay,

if it works I'll buy a second adapter for my second IDE drive ...

Man I finally had the time to try to install Mac OS X again and this time I run into this loop that I can't seem to get out of. I keep getting to the screen that asks me, "Do You already Own a Mac?" and I keep clicking, "Do Not transfer my information now" and it gets me in this loop. Any ideas?