NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Rockstarjoe, did you disable put the HD to sleep function in the energy saving tab @ the system commands?

Hi Hooch, Yes I have this feature disabled in System Preferences.

I discovered a new issue though, and I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem. I can't seem to remote desktop to my hackintosh or do screen sharing with it and another mac. I used to be able to do this fine with my old hackintosh so I know it is possible... maybe it is something wrong with the Realtek driver? Could anyone test on their machine and see if they can do screen sharing to it from another machine? Thanks!

I discovered a new issue though, and I wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem. I can't seem to remote desktop to my hackintosh or do screen sharing with it and another mac. I used to be able to do this fine with my old hackintosh so I know it is possible... maybe it is something wrong with the Realtek driver? Could anyone test on their machine and see if they can do screen sharing to it from another machine? Thanks!

Rockstar Joe,

I'm using screen sharing to write this post - my issues with regards to weird network and share behaviour (including iTunes shares, AFP etc) were solved by installing the RealTek 1000 driver found earlier in this topic.

J

it should be an easy fix, as J-N-P said get a kext Realtek 1000, you'll find it at post #54 by grindliner

download the file est open it (by doing show content), look inside for that kext

but the important part about it is that it MUST be installed in S/L/E (I use kext-helper), NOT in an extra folder from chameleon or EFI partiton...

it should be an easy fix, as J-N-P said get a kext Realtek 1000, you'll find it at post #54 by grindliner

download the file est open it (by doing show content), look inside for that kext

but the important part about it is that it MUST be installed in S/L/E (I use kext-helper), NOT in an extra folder from chameleon or EFI partiton...

Thank you, yes I have that kext and I have it installed in S/L/E. Bonjour works fine and everything network related seems ok, I just can't seem to get screen sharing or remote desktop to work. Very strange. I guess I'll keep looking into it to see if I can find what is causing the problem.

I have my Mac up and running, did the updates and everything. After it rebooted I started experiencing video acceleration issues. For example when I move a window around it seems to just blur out and not display what is is suppose to display. I have an ASUS EN9800GT Ultimate, so I have no clue what driver to install. Anyone know what's causing this weird video issue?

So, many reports of almost fully functional systems but no-one has it ALL and can post a full list of what needs to be done? The Blog post mentioned early in the thread is great but still SLEEP isnt sorted....

Don't get discouraged! I can tell you that outside of screen sharing (which others seem to have working) my system is 100%. Sleep works (both display and full sleep) and I can wake with keyboard or mouse. Get this board, it is awesome!

So, many reports of almost fully functional systems but no-one has it ALL and can post a full list of what needs to be done? The Blog post mentioned early in the thread is great but still SLEEP isnt sorted....

My HOW TO

My system is super stable, just waiting for JMicronATA to crash (still didn't since I turned off "Sleep HD when possible" option)

Bios is using optimised default, except for AHCI on SATA (2 places where you need to change that on the same BIOS page)

boot 132 install, GUID partition type (instead of MBR)

I use Chameleon 1.0.12 aka PCEFIv9 to boot from HD, it super easy to install...

here it is: Bootloader_efiv9_chameleon_1.0.12.pkg.zip

I have a local ethernet static IP setup, handy for me on my network (for a small Mac OS only 3D renderfarm)

I don't know if that does anything good, at least it does not do anything wrong

get the kext post 54, use all of them

except replace AppleHDA (for sound) and my JMicronATA (for IDE drives) with the one on the first post by slx

and search for OpenHaltRestart.kext for full system shutdown (sleep and reboot works without it)

EDIT: you can download all these extensions in one pack here: Extensions_GA_EP45_UD3R.zip

install them all in S/L/E (backup the original before doing that, it might come in handy later), I use kext Helper for that

here is kext helper: Kext_Helper_b7.app.zip

I use UIinstaller, to add EFI string for ethernet and video card (if you have more than one HD double check that the OSX drive is the one selected on top, by default it might not ....)

here it is Uinstaller: Add_EFI_String.zip

in System Pref / Energy Saver, disable "sleep HD when possible", I suspect its the reason why my system crashed when using JMicronATA

voila

The only known issue, is if a usb flash drive or usb HD is connected and you sleep the computer, when you wake up the computer, they will disconnect and reconnect for 1sec, and you get the "Device Removal" Warning ... therefore I don't sleep my system when I have usb flash or HD connected ...

JMicronATA, so far it is stable as long as sleep HD is disabled ... time will tell

everything else works

I have my Mac up and running, did the updates and everything. After it rebooted I started experiencing video acceleration issues. For example when I move a window around it seems to just blur out and not display what is is suppose to display. I have an ASUS EN9800GT Ultimate, so I have no clue what driver to install. Anyone know what's causing this weird video issue?

did you add efi string for your video card

if you didn't you may use Uinstaller to add the string

Thank you, yes I have that kext and I have it installed in S/L/E. Bonjour works fine and everything network related seems ok, I just can't seem to get screen sharing or remote desktop to work. Very strange. I guess I'll keep looking into it to see if I can find what is causing the problem.

I never really check if it would work without the EFI string, but adding it doesn't harm anything

So the only "major" difference with our setup might be the EFI string for ethernet if you didn't then use Uinstaller just for the EFI string, don't check any other option...

if you did add the EFI string then I don't know

Has anyone tried this with an IDE HDD? I am trying to now and not having any luck. Do you know what the BIOS settings should be for an IDE HDD?

look for one of my post that I posted earlier, I created a modified BOOT 132, that will allow IDE drive to show up during install

I personally didn't try it, but it should work

if you do it please let me know if everything went fine

and then after the install is over use the pack of kext I posted (2 post above yours)

VERY important, in System Pref / Energy Saver, disable "sleep HD when possible"

look for one of my post that I posted earlier, I created a modified BOOT 132, that will allow IDE drive to show up during install

I personally didn't try it, but it should work

if you do it please let me know if everything went fine

and then after the install is over use the pack of kext I posted (2 post above yours)

VERY important, in System Pref / Energy Saver, disable "sleep HD when possible"

I downloaded and burned it. I'm not entirely sure how to use one of these BOOT-132 CDs. I put it into the drive, when it booted I put in my leopard install CD, pressed F8 then esc and entered 9f into the space. Then it starts loading but I get

EBIOS read error: Device timeout

Block 8771680 Sectors 64

4 times until it reboots

I downloaded and burned it. I'm not entirely sure how to use one of these BOOT-132 CDs. I put it into the drive, when it booted I put in my leopard install CD, pressed F8 then esc and entered 9f into the space. Then it starts loading but I get

4 times until it reboots

if the "9f" is the correct input then, here is your answer:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30768

Does anyone know what kext file I need to use to install my video card? It is an Asus EN9800GT Ultimate.

This card is basically an nVidia 9800 GT 512 mb card, so I'd try PCWiz's Universal OSX86 Installer to modify the EFI string. It only has the Geforce 9800 GTX 512 listed right now, but it might work. There is another way to determine the correct hardware and insert the correct string if you want to follow Netkas' forums.

Does anyone know how to do a dual boot Leo and XP? Do I have to do bootcamp?

Need more info, are you talking 2 different partitions on the same drive or 2 separate hard drives? I just install XP (or Vista) on a separate drive and then use F12 when I'm rebooting to select the drive I want to boot from.

Well I have two hard drives, so I can do either. I tried to install XP after I installed Leo and I got an error when trying to install XP, I got a BSOD.

If you are installing to separate drives, should not matter. If you are getting a BSOD, it might be because AHCI is enabled which is fine for Leopard but makes XP freak out. There is a fix for it though, FOLLOW THIS LINK TO THE FIX FOR XP.

Using the audio files I have posted in the first post, I have no problems at all with digital in or out. It works perfect... and even better than in Windows!

It does show up as digital in and out in Logic, haven't checked system preferences... pretty sure it does though because I'm routing all my system sounds out that way.

Hello skx!

Thanks for this guide so far, it has been great! I have a very capable install on a GA-EP45-UD3R largely thanks to your experimentation! I have, coming in the mail, a Gigabyte Digital IN bracket that connects to the 3 pin header (Digital Optical and Coaxial in). It sounds like you have digital coaxial in working - does this show up in system preferences too?

I do not have the cable yet, but from what I have read about AppleHDA, digital in is currently disabled, as well as two of the output jacks.

How exactly did you get this to work? I haven't tried myself yet as I do not have the bracket yet, but I figured I would already be able to see it in the system preferences.

4gb of RAM, 1 320gb WD IDE drive and an IDE DVD-RW.

When my Mainstage concert is loaded, I'm definitely above 3gb of RAM, but in any event, a fixed driver is a fixed driver. =)

Thanks!!

Cool !

but were you using IDE drives ?

because if you don't then JMicronATA is not a problem, but rather useless...

or if you do have IDE drives did you actually try using up over 3GB of ram

you can check that in the terminal with the command "top"

run as many program as possible until the "free memory" is your [amount of ram] - [3200MB]

with the one you originally posted you should get a nice kernel panic.... :hysterical:

at least I know I'm not the only one

everything else works

did you add efi string for your video card

if you didn't you may use Uinstaller to add the string

I never really check if it would work without the EFI string, but adding it doesn't harm anything

So the only "major" difference with our setup might be the EFI string for ethernet if you didn't then use Uinstaller just for the EFI string, don't check any other option...

if you did add the EFI string then I don't know

When I did my initial install I tried to use UInstaller to insert an EFI string for my graphics card and I checked the "Time Machine Fix" to insert the right EFI string to correct the Time Machine problem, but the resulting com.apple.boot.plist was unusable (caused a kernel panic at boot).

Trying it without the "Time Machine Fix" checked obviously broke time machine, but it allowed me to boot. However at this point I realized that while my graphics card was displaying at the correct resolution, it was not correctly recognized by OS X and thus there was no QE / CL and everything generally was a mess.

Finally, I used an older program called EFI Studio. This generated the correct graphics string for my card. I then added this string to a com.apple.boot.plist file generated from UInstaller with only the "Time Machine Fix" selected. Whew! Confused yet? :)

This gave me full video support and allowed Time Machine to function, but I still did not have full ethernet functioning until I added the Realtek drive to my S/L/E folder. Now everything network related works with the exception of screen sharing.

This gave me full video support and allowed Time Machine to function, but I still did not have full ethernet functioning until I added the Realtek drive to my S/L/E folder. Now everything network related works with the exception of screen sharing.

OK

then, this may sound silly, but did you check with the firewall

if it is enable try to disable it on both computer and see ...

This is from a real mac to the gigabyte hackintosh? both on leopard?

if YES then (you can easily prove me wrong) but I would believe this not a driver/kext issue, but rather a setup issue (username/password , firewall,etc ...), because it sounds like your setup is correct...

have you tried the "screen sharing" the other way hackintosh connecting to the real mac, and see if works

then if you still can't figure it out, enable VNC and setup password in the system pref and use RealVNC viewer or something like that... (FYI the viewer must be setup to full color viewing when connecting to OSX)

EDIT: that may be the answer ...

before you added Realtek1000 to the S/L/E folder it was somewhere else depending on your "boot system"... but most likely in some "Extra" folder, well did you leave a copy there... if so remove it reboot and see...

i have a problem with grub-dfe, or boot132 cd

He loads a lot avec kext , but then (before having the installer started), there is an error :

img0223as3.th.jpg

Have you tried my "special" boot132 cd ?

posted in this thread

you might want to try burning the DVD again at slower speed

This is odd. I ran the iDeneb install, no changes as SKX did, but then when it starts to boot it gives me the crossed out apple. And it says

still waiting for root device
I think I'm going to add some extensions and try again

EDIT: no luck with that either, same issue

Hey everyone, I solved my problem with screen sharing. Guess what, I'm an idiot :) Turns out Transmission was sharing on port 5900, which is the same port that Screen Sharing uses! D'oh. Just changed my port and everything magically worked. SWEET! Thanks for the help guys.