NEW INSTALL: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

skx

768 posts in this topic

Is anyone else having problems with Bonjour? I can see my attached NAS under "Shared" in the Finder, but not my other Macs on the same network. But, the other Macs can see my hackintosh. I'm using the RealTekR1000.kext and an EFI string to fix Time Machine. Could either of those be related?

EDIT - solved my own problem. RealtekR1000.kext cannot be in the munky EFI partition or it will not completely work. Moving it to S/L/E solved my problem.

Yeah I had the same problem in reverse, this hackintosh could see other macs, but other mac couldn't see the hackintosh, same fix...

Ok, finally got a SATA drive and got osx installed and running. I followed Auzigog's guide to the T and have a few problems:

1) LAN shows active but I can't get online, Network Diagnostic didn't help either, is there a fix for it? The .kext didn't fix it at least.

2) I can't boot without the grub-dfe cd. When I do a boot from the drive I get the drop down prompt that says to restart. In -v mode it freezes in the AppleHDA kext if I remember correctly...

3) Can't get my DVD drawer to open or close through the apple commands or the button on the drive itself...

Now, I'm not at 10.5.6 yet since I don't have internets on the hackintosh. I'm downloading a combo update but will that help?

My rig: Q6600, 1 2gig stick of Corsair ram, 1TB SATA drive and SATA Lite-on DVD drive.

Ok, finally got a SATA drive and got osx installed and running. I followed Auzigog's guide to the T and have a few problems:

1) LAN shows active but I can't get online, Network Diagnostic didn't help either, is there a fix for it? The .kext didn't fix it at least.

you need RealTekR1000.kext

must be installed into the S/L/E folder for it to fully work...

2) I can't boot without the grub-dfe cd. When I do a boot from the drive I get the drop down prompt that says to restart. In -v mode it freezes in the AppleHDA kext if I remember correctly...

I suppose you used some sort of EFI partition

or Chameleon PCEFIv9

anyway do you have all the kext installed ?

most kext should be in the Extra folder, and some in the S/L/E (like the RealTekR1000.kext and the AppleHDA.kext)

3) Can't get my DVD drawer to open or close through the apple commands or the button on the drive itself...

strange...

you didn't plug the sata drive on the purple sata of the motherboard, did you?

if you did plug it in the yellow sata instead...

Now, I'm not at 10.5.6 yet since I don't have internets on the hackintosh. I'm downloading a combo update but will that help?

probably won't help that much about the boot problem

but 10.5.6 is working with the kext posted in this thread

so it is a good idea to upgrade to 10.5.6

after you upgrade you'll need to reinstall the kext that were in the S/L/E folder...

Has anyone had any errors related to an SMBIOS issue? I think I may have stumbled into one when trying to import AVCHD footage from a Panasonic HDC-SD9 camera. Everything worked just fine on my previous Leo4All install.

Off to test.....

Sounds interesting, which ISO disk image did you use for this?

Sorry....been out of the loop trying to get everything back to as it was before.

I used the standard ol' original ISO. Nothing special needed. I did have a tough time getting started with this method due to DVD-ROM reading errors but it turned out to be just a poor burn of the Leopard Retail disk. Burned it on my MBP at slow speed using Disk Utility and everything was fine.

BTW - I couldn't get an IDE install to work with the original BOOT-132 ISO...not sure what was up.

BTW - I couldn't get an IDE install to work with the original BOOT-132 ISO...not sure what was up.

that's because the needed drivers for ide drive is not on the boot132 CD,

so you must create a modified boot 132 cd with JMicronATA.kext on it,

however the problem with this driver is that it is not stable if you have more than 3GB of ram, that's all the fuss I was bragging about previously

I haven't found a fix yet... besides having only 3GB installed of ram or less...

so if you want to install MacOS on an IDE HD, be sure to have a maximum of 3GB installed to avoid kernel panic during the install... you may add the ram after the install... but you'll experience those kernel panic... once and a while...

that's because the needed drivers for ide drive is not on the boot132 CD,

so you must create a modified boot 132 cd with JMicronATA.kext on it,

however the problem with this driver is that it is not stable if you have more than 3GB of ram, that's all the fuss I was bragging about previously

I haven't found a fix yet... besides having only 3GB installed of ram or less...

so if you want to install MacOS on an IDE HD, be sure to have a maximum of 3GB installed to avoid kernel panic during the install... you may add the ram after the install... but you'll experience those kernel panic... once and a while...

This may be elementary, but everyone who is having a problem with their system and more than 3 gigs of RAM IS setting their BIOS to 64bit and not 32bit, right?

This may be elementary, but everyone who is having a problem with their system and more than 3 gigs of RAM IS setting their BIOS to 64bit and not 32bit, right?

I didn't change anything in the bios except for AHCI mode ...

everything else is "Optimized Default"

are you talking about the HPET mode : 32bit - 64bit

mine is on 32bit... and I have the problem with my system

anyway it's clear that the JMicronATA.kext is the source of the problem, but is needed to have IDE HD to show up...

Ok, so after 10.5.6 update my video card is now working 100%. I can enter/exit sleep mode which is nice but useless. I can boot into OSX without the boot disc but I can't seem to turn off the PC without hard powering it off, which isn't a big deal but a small annoyance. Reset is the same way, have to do it from the tower.

Lastly, my LAN still wont function properly. I've used the driver from Auzigog's tutorial but still no internets. The ethernet drive shows green and connected even when the cord is not plugged in. Could it be a bad mobo? It seems to work fine in Vista. Perhaps a different kext? I also used the supplied OSX86 tools with Auzigogs package.

On a side note, Thanks for all the continuing support! I'm sure to have a sweet rig figured out once I get these things working!

Ok, so after 10.5.6 update my video card is now working 100%. I can enter/exit sleep mode which is nice but useless. I can boot into OSX without the boot disc but I can't seem to turn off the PC without hard powering it off, which isn't a big deal but a small annoyance. Reset is the same way, have to do it from the tower.

Lastly, my LAN still wont function properly. I've used the driver from Auzigog's tutorial but still no internets. The ethernet drive shows green and connected even when the cord is not plugged in. Could it be a bad mobo? It seems to work fine in Vista. Perhaps a different kext? I also used the supplied OSX86 tools with Auzigogs package.

On a side note, Thanks for all the continuing support! I'm sure to have a sweet rig figured out once I get these things working!

No issues here.

Which install of EFI did you use? If it is the EFI Partition install, I think you need to install the ethernet kext with UInstaller and not place it in the EFI partition. But that should be the same as Auzigog's tut.

Has anyone had any errors related to an SMBIOS issue? I think I may have stumbled into one when trying to import AVCHD footage from a Panasonic HDC-SD9 camera. Everything worked just fine on my previous Leo4All install.

Off to test.....

Success! Had to try a few combinations of kexts to get things to work but here is my modification to the install provided by Auzigog.

Problem: Certain programs sensitive to AppleSMBIOS were not functioning properly, mainly iMovie'08 and Final Cut Pro 6 when attempting to import AVCHD video. Both programs would crash when asked to perform such tasks.

Solution: Instead of using the SMBIOSEnabler.kext provided in Auzigog's install package, I used the latest AppleSMBIOS.kext provided by macdotnub as well as Superhai's SMBIOSResolver.kext discussed here. If I only used the updated AppleSMBIOS without the SMBIOSResolver kext, I had errors with other programs that were sensitive to ASMBIOS.kext, namely Log Me In. Once I added Superhai's kext in, all is well.

I added both of these to my EFI Partition so for the two-part kext install per Auzigog's guide, these would both go in the "Kexts for Chameleon" section.

Yeah, I did follow Auzigogs tut to the exact letter. I installed Chameleon first with the chameleon kexts with his UD3P Package. THEN I did the UI installer with other kexts. I know there is a Package here for the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R, maybe I should go that route instead? If I do, should I remove any old kext from Chameleon or just re-install OSX all together...

BTW, I've never manually placed the kexts in the extension folder. Should I do that or should the UI installer do it, which I believe it does...

WOUHOU !

problem fixed for JMicronATA (IDE HD driver) and 4GB of ram , at least for our motherboard

If you have more than 3GB of ram and have IDE HD and don't want kernel panic caused by previously posted JMicronATA.kext ...

use my modified Kext

Download it here: JMicronATA.kext.zip

edit: I strongly recommend disabling "sleep HD" : System Pref / Energy saver

as I believe sleeping the HD was the cause of a problem I ran into (see next page of this thread)

here is the story:

the 4GB problem with JMicronATA was worked on in this thread by SlasHack

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127611

and latest version was supposed to work, well my system would kernel panic during boot so that's not very useful

so I instinctively (read blindly) used one of the working but bogus JMicronATA posted in our thread by skx

and replaced the executable with the one from SlasHack's kext

and IT WORKS

no kernel panic during boot as SlasHack kext

no kernel panic while using above 3GB of ram... work for any amount of memory (at least 4GB which is what I have)

no kernel panic and IDE drives shows up

I can't guaranty anything, but so far so good, my system is 100% perfect and stable... with 4GB of ram and IDE drives showing up

I tried crashing my system like before but I simply can't...

happy to share...

Hey guys, I am trying to install mac os x on this motherboard using the boot132 method (tried both a boot132 disk I had from a previous retail install, as well as the grud-dfe.iso), and it boots and the mac os x logo with the cog spins, but imidiately after that, I get s white screen with a ton of black squares and rectangles all over it. I am using a 'CPU Drop in DVD' that I imaged and renamed / removed the file that checks for previous versions of Mac OS X. This installer worked perfectly on my MSI wind.

I am using the GA-EP45-UD3R and a PowerColor HD 2600xt. Set both settings to AHCI in the bios, and the SATA DVD drive and the SATA HDD are attached to the yellow SATA ports. I am using a q6600 and 8GB of memory.

Would love to be able to get this thing working.

Best Regards.

post-356269-1232614800_thumb.jpg

WOUHOU !

problem fixed for JMicronATA (IDE HD driver) and 4GB of ram , at least for our motherboard

If you have more than 3GB of ram and have IDE HD and don't want kernel panic caused by previously posted JMicronATA.kext ...

use my modified Kext

here is the story:

and latest version was supposed to work, well my system would kernel panic during boot so that's not very useful

so I instinctively (read blindly) used one of the working but bogus JMicronATA posted in our thread by skx

and IT WORKS

no kernel panic while using above 3GB of ram... work for any amount of memory (at least 4GB which is what I have)

I can't guaranty anything, but so far so good, my system is 100% perfect and stable... with 4GB of ram and IDE drives showing up

happy to share...

AWESOME! Can't wait to try this when I get home. Thanks for working the problem through and finding a solution for us!

Hey guys, I am trying to install mac os x on this motherboard using the boot132 method (tried both a boot132 disk I had from a previous retail install, as well as the grud-dfe.iso), and it boots and the mac os x logo with the cog spins, but imidiately after that, I get s white screen with a ton of black squares and rectangles all over it. I am using a 'CPU Drop in DVD' that I imaged and renamed / removed the file that checks for previous versions of Mac OS X. This installer worked perfectly on my MSI wind.

I am using the GA-EP45-UD3R and a PowerColor HD 2600xt. Set both settings to AHCI in the bios, and the SATA DVD drive and the SATA HDD are attached to the yellow SATA ports. I am using a q6600 and 8GB of memory.

Would love to be able to get this thing working.

Best Regards.

Are you using a retail Mac disk or a burnt version?

My system is now super stable

but I've always had that little annoying problem:

if I put the computer to sleep (with or without OpenHaltRestart.kext loaded) and a usb flash drive or usb HD is connected

when the computer wakes up I have the "Device removal warning" ... not the best thing to see

has anybody experience that...

if you don't have the problem would you mine sharing so the possibly related kext

I wasn't having any issues (and I have >3gb of ram) with the JMicron kext I posted, but out of due diligence I deleted the kext I had posted in my original post (post #1) and replaced it with the modified JMicron kext posted here. Hopefully that will clear up some of this. Someone needs to get in contact with the OSx86 Tools guy and get the right driver posted on the automatic driver install function.

WOUHOU !

use my modified Kext

here is the story:

and IT WORKS

happy to share...

I wasn't having any issues (and I have >3gb of ram) with the JMicron kext I posted, but out of due diligence I deleted the kext I had posted in my original post (post #1) and replaced it with the modified JMicron kext posted here. Hopefully that will clear up some of this. Someone needs to get in contact with the OSx86 Tools guy and get the right driver posted on the automatic driver install function.

Cool !

but were you using IDE drives ?

because if you don't then JMicronATA is not a problem, but rather useless...

or if you do have IDE drives did you actually try using up over 3GB of ram

you can check that in the terminal with the command "top"

run as many program as possible until the "free memory" is your [amount of ram] - [3200MB]

with the one you originally posted you should get a nice kernel panic.... :(

Yeah, I get the same problem when going in out of sleep, lose the USB and Firewire things that are connected

at least I know I'm not the only one

I'd like to add a quick tip. I noticed that my display would sleep correctly but would not wake from the mouse or keyboard (annoying). I found that if I connected a USB expansion slot to the USB header on the UD3R (the one closest to the SATA ports) and then plugged my keyboard/mouse into these USB ports, everything magically worked. So now I can sleep my display and wake it with either the keyboard or mouse. Hope that helps others.

Are you using a retail Mac disk or a burnt version?

I am using a burnt retail DVD. Had a CPU Drop in DVD of Leopard upgrade, and ISOed it and followed this guide (http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/12/12791/) to fix it to a standard leopard dvd (renaming the ISO, and deleting 1 file), and reburnt it to a DL-DVD. Worked perfectly to install on my MSI Wind via boot132.

Could this be the problem? I can obtain an original leopard disk if absolutely needed.

I have also tried booting off of the CPU Drop in DVD and got the same result (original DVD from apple). That DVD should boot afaik, but will not install as it does not recognize an existing version of Mac OS X.