10.5.6 Released!

pauℓzurrr.

809 posts in this topic

So after a while hacking with Ubuntu to get a read/write accsess to a hfs+,i was able to restore the keyboard even in safety mode,no chance about the mouse.

Is there any issue about the mouse lag?

My machine worked great a part the inconvenience of keyboard and mouse,great job voodoo stuff

Ok, up and running on my Maximus Formula (X38) based board:

1. I had previously installed EFI V9, and a DSDT file

2. Installed the update (not the Combo, just the incremental)

3. No boot - "Waiting for Root Device" - turns out that 10.5.6 update takes out AppleAHCIPort.kext and IOAHCIFamily.kext

4. Rebuilt the 10.5.6 AppleAHCIPort.kext to get the ICH9 controller recognized (Attached, also with other ICH7, ICH8 and ICH9 definitions), and installed

5. Boot, but with orange drive icons

6. Rebuilt the 10.5.6 IOAHCIFamily.kext to get rid of the orange icons (attached), and installed

7. Reinstalled Taruga V4 to get sound back

8. Installed AppleSMBIOSEFI_28 to get the Hardware Overview in System Profiler back

So far everything works - shutdown, reboot, audio, etc

But bottom line is that if you have a motherboard with ICH8 or later, good chance you will need to fix the AHCI kexts....

Hope this helps......

Thanks a lot.

your attachment and paragon rescue kit made my day! ;)

Damnit, I lost sound after the update. Also, my USB headset isn't detected either. Any ideas, guys? It's ALC883 onboard audio on the ASUS motherboard that appears on my signature.

EDIT: Reinstalled the Taruga AppleHDA kext using OSX86 Utils by ~pcwiz, and that did the trick. Upon restart I have both my internal soundcard and USB headset working.

EDIT2: However, my Firewire card isn't detected anymore. I don't really use it all that much, so it's no big deal, but does anyone have a fix for that?

Works for me! I updated via Apple Update with pcEFI v9, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and Disabler.kext

It hanged at the first boot, but after a reset it worked. I just had to reinstall audio drivers and the reboot/shutdown fix.

Specs in my signature ;)

Are you able to wake-up from sleep ?

I am using EFI partition boot with EFI strings to make my GeForce FX5500 work. I use the VooDoo V1 kernel. Everything was running just fine with 10.5.5. So, I used the software update to apply 10.5.6 to my test partition. the update installed without problem and the system appeared to start normally. It reached the point where the login window was launched and then stopped. No disk activity and no login window.

I went back to my main OS X partition and removed the EFI string for the Nvidia GeForce FX5500 - on the test partition. With that change, the test partition boots correctly, but with fixed 1280x1024 resolution. I also notice that moving windows now leaves a log of video garbage on the screen and browser scrolling is useless.

If anyone else has seen these symptoms and know of a fix I would sure appreciate a pointer or two.

Asus P5K-VM

E6750 3.2Ghz 8x400/2GB Corsair PC6400

X1950Pro

ideneb 10.5.5 original install

Updated to 10.5.6 using PC-EFI v9 Chameleon/DSDT/AppleCPUIntelPowermangement and IntelCPUPMDisable kexts.

Rebooted twice and had to reinstall all my kexts

Everything is working fine for me except ive lost firewire! Any ideas on this?

That indeed sounds quite promising. And I couldn't agree more with your observation on the future being VooDoo. But with regard to the issue at hand, have you noticed any problems reported by other board members? Any information/insight you could provide regarding your rig/update process would be highly helpful.

As I stated earlier, with retail update, I would lose some functionality such as sound, networks, etc. But this is due to DSDT translation of a particular motherboard BIOS. Some boards yield workable description table, some don't. Re-installing some old kexts may work for some boards. My testing is only limited to my board, which Asus P5K-E. But the point that I observe is this- why go through all that trouble with Vanilla (even though my board works with Vanilla OOTB) when the very essence getting updates to supposedly make your machine run better breaks it all. I have tried nearly all distros available simply because I had no fear of my motherboard rejecting any. But after it's all said and done, the queations hark back to the idea of how easy is it to maintain your computer to make it worth our effort. Isn't it why we try OS X in the first place? Image if Microsoft makes known their Vista core kernel? People would jump so fast to re-write it so we wouldn't be umbellically tied to some of their most idiotic services that hiccup all the time. But here we are using OS X with its root in FreeBSD hence the core Unix kernel. I think the developers of VooDoo are offering to the world something so beautiful but most of us fail to realize- the abiliity to use a modified OS X with all the functionalities offered by Apple. I also have trememndous respect for those who work tirelessly porting drivers/patches of newer video/sound/network components.

But the most important thing is still the kernel. With their collective wisdom, the developing team can bring to bear adaptations of next chipsets. Hopefully in the near future compatibility issues may be the thing of the past once EFI makes it into mainstream PC architecture. That is if Apple+Intel don't use their muscle to squash the adoption. For now, people that still want 100% compatibility have very little choice over what boards to use. Don't think that the manufacturers don't know that. The prices of comp. boards are still higher (in the case most P35 boards).

About the "dmg mounting" problem...

The solution is using Seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5, as stated..

Using Toast (or any other app that mounts images without using the system, i think..) does the trick too.

Just a tip..

Hi, I succesfully (more or less) Updated to 10.5.6

No problem at ComboUpdate Install, following Netkas Recomendations.

I'm using PC_EFI v9, Boot132 Install method (Retail Install) with /Extra/Extensions and DSDT fiexed.

Some Issues:

- Lost Audio on My EP35-DS3P

- Lost SMBios Injection (MemSpeed,etc), I think because of Newer AppleSMBIOS.kext is installed in 10.5.6 (v1.1.1)

SMBios injection solved turning to previous AppleSMBios Anv version.

Now I have this newers ACPI_SMC message at System Log:

Dec 16 20:14:08 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
Dec 16 20:14:08 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed:
C-state power management not initialized
Dec 16 20:14:09 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

No Problem with ethernet.

Using Chameleon, xnu kernel. Upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 on an GA-P965-DS3 rev. 3.3. No sound, fixed using ALC888Audio.mpkg. No TimeMachine (already had to fix it after this Airport patch, will look into it later) but .... SLEEP finally works!

ok - after 2 attempts and reinstall I'm desperate to ask for help...

I have dell e520 (in raid mode), 10.5.5, i've installed chameleon with pciefiv9, did dsdt patching. 10.5.5 rebooted fine, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded. All extensions in /Extra/Extensions.mkext (including 10.5.5 AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext).

Applied combo update with no issues but... "still waiting for root device" after reload...

disabled raid in bios - no help. used boot-132 disk (that worked with 10.5.5) - no luck...

any idea what happaned and how to fix it...?

Gigabyte P35-DS3L just updated to 10.5.6 with absolutely no problems.....

I have the same motherboard.....

What did u use to install originally?

Boot-132 or Distro?????

and what type of graphics card to you have????

Thanx