Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Sleep seems to be working with all options checked on energy saver. I have a 7200GS 256MB.

Does sleep work properly? If so, then this is progress for this thread as normally sleep shuts down the PC with this install.

Thanks blackosx and lensboard for help and the simple guide. You are the best ones :( . I have bought my hardware on account of lensboard's guide. I wanted to say this just ^^ Thanks a lot...!

Good to hear you have got it up and running. Well done.

Hi there,

I just read every post in this topic, but I didn't found anything about an retail DVD boot.

Just want to build my own and need to know, which kext's I should copy on it.

This guide didn't work for me, now. - Maybe I will figure out, what I've done wrong... and yes I'm a noob ;o)

If I follow this guide I will get panics at CPU and ACPI and I don't really know how to solve it.

Many thanks for some advise in advance ;o)

------

My hadware:

- EP45-DS3L

- CPU Q9550

- RAM OZX Reaper 1066mhz

- Lan GA311 - onboard disabled

- Gfx 9800 GT 512mb

That I am aware of you cannot boot to a retail DVD.

Find Kalyway, or some other patched OSX and set up a "scratch drive" that you will use to follow this guide. Or if you have a current Mac with 10.5.x running you can set up a boot drive for a hacky with this guide.

Good set up as for hdwr. Turn the onboard LAN back on. It works 100% for mine. My EP45T-DS3R runs dual onboard gig-LANs 100%. And by experience you MUST manually time OCZ DIMMs. \

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that sleep has not been fixed for you?

I've had 10.5.6 running for the last couple of months now. Forgive me if I'm too late, but I just realised that sleep works perfectly for me - it sleeps within a second and wakes up instantly when needed, no problems there.

I don't know if this has been solved already, but I was reminded by blackosx a few posts up.

I can't remember the exact steps I took to enable sleep, but if you want me to dig around and find what extensions I'm using I'm more than happy to if you let me know what's information is needed.

10.5.6 Retail install with vanilla kernel (soon to be 10.5.7 when I get round to it).

Am I right in thinking that sleep has not been fixed for you?

I've had 10.5.6 running for the last couple of months now. Forgive me if I'm too late, but I just realised that sleep works perfectly for me - it sleeps within a second and wakes up instantly when needed, no problems there.

I don't know if this has been solved already, but I was reminded by blackosx a few posts up.

I can't remember the exact steps I took to enable sleep, but if you want me to dig around and find what extensions I'm using I'm more than happy to if you let me know what's information is needed.

10.5.6 Retail install with vanilla kernel (soon to be 10.5.7 when I get round to it).

Hi abezors

You have sleep working for this Mobo? This is great news!

If you could dig around and find what steps you took to achieve this then please post here so we can all get it working too. With regard to extensions, what have to got installed differently to the kext package that lensboard put together at the start of this thread?

I look forward to this... (Note, I am away for a few days after today so I will come back to this when I can)

:)

I'm glad I can help, since I'd like to try and give back something. I've had so much help reading around here it's only fair. :)

Well I am attempting to figure out exactly *what* steps I took - I followed lensboard's original instructions to install retail 10.5.6; however I remember running into some problems afterwards. I don't recall the steps taken, yet stumbling around with various approaches eventually worked.

So far I've been trying to compare my current extensions folder with that of the freshly installed retail backup (using the Terminal diff command), but I'm sure there are other additions I made... If anyone can think of a simpler method to find out exactly what I'm using that would be helpful. I'm thinking along the lines of checking the running extensions in the Console or somesuch plan.

If I can't figure it out soon I'll make another install on this HD and see if I can come up with instructions then.

Too bad I'm 18 and have the memory of an 80 yr old! :P

If anyone can think of a simpler method to find out exactly what I'm using that would be helpful. I'm thinking along the lines of checking the running extensions in the Console or somesuch plan.

Thanks for wanting to help, this could maybe reveal some answers :P

If it helps, I have added the following extensions to my /System/Library/Extensions folder.

From lensboard install:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

AppleHDA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

IOAHCIFamilly.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

JMicronATA.kext

Additional:

Disabler.kext

Added to block AppleUpstreamUserClient (for Quicktime mouse lag) and IntelCPUPowerManagement (to stop Kernel Panic)

Also as I use Chameleon v2 RC I have the following in /Extra/Extensions:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

In the Terminal, typing 'sudo kextstat' will display a list of extensions currently loaded in the kernel. You could copy and paste the result and post it for comparison? Here's mine from 10.5.7 using this guide.

Hope this gives you something to go on.

kextstat_result.txt

Important! Your Energy Saver options must be enabled. All 3 tick-boxes are enabled in my Sys Prefs -> Energy Saver -> Options (2nd tab). I believe that if they are unticked, sleep shuts down the computer... It may be as simple as that, but if that's not the cause, continue reading.

A quick thought, do you have the 10.5.6 Shutdown fix installed? I don't know whether it interacts hand-in-hand with any of the extensions.

I also have Chameleon 2 RC1 installed. And with a bunch of your beautiful themes blackosx :D nice work!

After scouring my install logs and comparing extensions, the most obvious differences I noticed were:

- My graphics driver installation procedure - Nvidia 9000 series v2; NVdarwin v1.2.5

- HD audio update - ALC888.pkg

I only installed the HD audio update yesterday so that's not it (though it fixes the popping sound, plus other issues including back panel functions, I recommend it. Realtek do have some hosted downloads but I got mine from www.mediafire.com/?yuzdzx60epe). I do not have HDAenabler or AppleHDA or AppleHDAController if these are important.

Thus, if it isn't Energy Saver/Shutdown fix, then I believe that the graphics drivers are the cause. It took me a few hours to get my Geforce 9600 fully working (it functioned in the fresh install, but not 100%). Before the graphics drivers were installed (i.e. immediately after completing lensboard's instructions), sleep did not work. Instead, sleep only blacked out the display whilst everything else stayed on (moving the mouse etc put it back on). However - after installing the above drivers, plus adding a string to com.apple.boot.plist, sleep worked seamlessly.

I'm pretty sure the string that I added to boot.plist (using gfxutil) was after sleep already worked, so I doubt this is related.

Hence I would guess likelihood goes in this order:

- Energy Saver settings

- Shutdown fix

- graphics drivers

- and/or perhaps BIOS settings too.

If there are any other ways I can help let me know. I've been trying to recreate my install procedure on a new partition but I can't figure out what I did originally... I will give up on that unless required.

My kextstat output attached:

mykexts.txt

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I am away from my setup at the moment and Reading this on my iPhone. But I can confirm that i have installed the shutdown fix and set the energy saver preference settings. The BIOS settings I think are all OK as I remember going through them a few times when I first built the machine and when reading lensboards install guide. So yes, maybe it's down to the graphic strings. I installed the EFI String for my 8800GT in the com.apple.boot.plist. But I do remember sleep worked when I used to run iAtkos 10.5.5 with an NVinject hack, just not with this install? I will have to have a play when I get back.

I will also have a look at comparing the kextstat results when I get back too, and look at the Hd audio.

Oh and thanks for the comment on my Chameleon Themes. I spent a lot of time doing those and it's great you have used some of them. Leave recreating your install for now if you like, maybe we'll come back to that if needed.

;)

Important! Your Energy Saver options must be enabled. All 3 tick-boxes are enabled in my Sys Prefs -> Energy Saver -> Options (2nd tab). I believe that if they are unticked, sleep shuts down the computer... It may be as simple as that, but if that's not the cause, continue reading.

I can confirm that changing only these settings (checking all 3 checkboxes) fixed my sleep problems.

Hardware: EP45-DS3L

OSX Version: iDeneb 10.5.6 with online upgrade to 10.5.7

This guide seems targeted at reducing the number of kexts needed for a retail install. If that is your objective, then I would recommend a Griffin imic for audio. Inputs and outputs work OOB with no kexts.

If you want webcam capability OOB, then the Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro is your (expensive) friend. The cam does all image processing (e.g. lighting correction, auto-focus) internally and does not require a driver (kext) to function as a high res camera in ichat or other applications.

Thanks! It works!

Hardware: GA EP45-DS3l

OSX Version: lensboard Retail 10.5.6 -> upgrade to 10.5.7

Thanks! It works!

Good! Glad to hear I'm not the only one. There's been a couple of people confirming the Energy Saver / Sleep issue; perhaps it could be edited into lensboard's guide?

I don't claim credit for finding this out by the way. I don't remember where I originally found it out, though it may be in the documentation for the 10.5.6 shutdown fix... But I don't recall :P

Hi abezors

The Preferences / Energy Saver option was mentioned here before (see post#157 (ignore the posted kexts)) and unfortunately it doesn't work for me :( but maybe it's a combination of having these settings AND dependent on the graphics setup?

After scouring my install logs and comparing extensions, the most obvious differences I noticed were:

- My graphics driver installation procedure - Nvidia 9000 series v2; NVdarwin v1.2.5

I use the EFI string for my 8800GT 512MB as I ideally want as near a vanilla install as possible but if using a kext gets my sleep working then I'll use it. However, I have since tried NVInject 0.2.1 and NVDarwin 1.2.5 and unfortunately neither allows sleep to work on my setup. Although with NVDarwin the computer doesn't shutdown when sleep is selected but sort of attempts to sleep but stays running, so maybe something I have installed is not letting the system go to sleep (like my graphics card)?

I have compared yours and my kextstat results (Thanks for posting them) and there is not much difference between them. I will have to have a deeper look maybe later this evening?

This guide seems targeted at reducing the number of kexts needed for a retail install. If that is your objective, then I would recommend a Griffin imic for audio. Inputs and outputs work OOB with no kexts.

Thanks vinlar, that's something worth considering as it would remove the need for AppleAzaliaAudio, AppleHDA and HDAenabler.

Thanks! It works!

danOne,

It is good to hear you have success with this also. I re-read your install procedure you posted and you definitely didn't do anything different from that? Would you be able to post a kextstat result from your system too for me to compare?

In the Terminal, typing 'sudo kextstat' will display a list of extensions currently loaded in the kernel.

-------

But thanks everyone for your help. I will keep trying to solve this but I think lensboard mentioned that sleep doesn't work for him either. So maybe I will have to try a complete fresh build with this guide but try a few differences? or maybe it's just down to the combination of the graphics card (MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC) and this mobo?

If anyone has any other ideas on how I could compare my system to someone else's then please let me know.

danOne,

It is good to hear you have success with this also. I re-read your install procedure you posted and you definitely didn't do anything different from that? Would you be able to post a kextstat result from your system too for me to compare?

In the Terminal, typing 'sudo kextstat' will display a list of extensions currently loaded in the kernel.

Here is my kextstat! I hope it helps :hysterical:

kextstat.rtf

I have only do, what I have written in Post 247

Greez dan0ne

Edit: Note, do not move the mouse after you have click "sleep-mode". I don't find a soulution for that Problem, but i shutdown my microsoft wireless mouse.

Here is my kextstat! I hope it helps :hysterical:

kextstat.rtf

I have only do, what I have written in Post 247

Greez dan0ne

Edit: Note, do not move the mouse after you have click "sleep-mode". I don't find a soulution for that Problem, but i shutdown my microsoft wireless mouse.

Thanks dan0ne

I will have a look :P

excuse my bad english !

i'm new with this mobo

Boot with generic.iso, dvd retail 10.5.4 install ! reboot with generic.iso ! all updates -> 10.5.7

reboot with generic.iso -> chameleon 2.0 RC1 -> try first boot : OK (no sound no full video)

with EFIStudio : add strings for Ethernet + Palit 8800 GT 1 GB : reboot -> all is OK

VoodooHDA.kext sound install -> sound OK.

Energy Saver, checking all 3 checkboxes.

try reboot, shutdown, sleep all OK.

excuse my bad english !

i'm new with this mobo

Boot with generic.iso, dvd retail 10.5.4 install ! reboot with generic.iso ! all updates -> 10.5.7

reboot with generic.iso -> chameleon 2.0 RC1 -> try first boot : OK (no sound no full video)

with EFIStudio : add strings for Ethernet + Palit 8800 GT 1 GB : reboot -> all is OK

Energy Saver, checking all 3 checkboxes.

try reboot, shutdown, sleep all OK.

Hi Cyberdog

Thanks for letting me know it works for you too.

It's looking like I might have to try a fresh re-install.

I have installed VoodooHDA.kext and the preference pane and the sound works allowing me to remove the AppleAzaliaAudio, AppleHDA and HDAenabler kexts. So that's helped with reducing the number of kexts on my system. :)

I am still playing with Sleep..

BTW, thanks to everyone who sent in their Kextstat results.

The Preferences / Energy Saver option was mentioned here before (see post#157 (ignore the posted kexts)) and unfortunately it doesn't work for me :( but maybe it's a combination of having these settings AND dependent on the graphics setup?

Again an update from me on the 'no wake up from sleep' issue:

As I already mentioned, the trick with checking all 3 checkboxes in energy settings mentioned above worked for me. Lately I started using an external hard drive attached via USB for backup. Since I installed that drive, sleep didn't work anymore for me. When I ejected all USB attached drives before going to sleep, it worked again.

Searching for a reason and a solution I found this post:USB 2.0 fix for 10.5.7

By installing the kext from there, now everything works for me perfectly - even sleep with USB device attached :) .

Hope this also helps others.

As I already mentioned, the trick with checking all 3 checkboxes in energy settings mentioned above worked for me. Lately I started using an external hard drive attached via USB for backup. Since I installed that drive, sleep didn't work anymore for me. When I ejected all USB attached drives before going to sleep, it worked again.

By installing the kext from there, now everything works for me perfectly - even sleep with USB device attached :( .

Thanks for the input. Yes, I had previously tried Slice's Fix, and just to make sure, I have tried it again. I didn't need a fix for USB but I was hoping it might help the sleep issue but unfortunately it doesn't have any effect :)

But this morning I have added another HD to my system and will install 10.5 from retail DVD using lensboards guide. I will document the setup this weekend and see if I can get sleep working and report back.

Well I have managed to get 10.5.7 on my GA-EP45-DS3L system but this time with an untouched vanilla System/Library/Extensions folder using Chameleon v2 RC1. For me, this is what using the new Chameleon is all about, allowing additional kexts to be added to it's /Extra/Extensions folder, leaving the retail Leopard install untouched.

Bad news is that everything I've tried I still can't get sleep to work. I tried it at almost every stage of this build but it never successfully went to sleep, same as before with my previous lensboard guide for retail install. Sleep now works as I was using a {censored} mouse which refused to let the computer sleep.

Anyway, I read this post by Zhell regarding a different approach to partitioning the hard drive for the install and installing Chameleon on it's own partition and not in EFI or with the system. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry1234

So booting in to my previous lensboard install, I partitioned my new GPT formatted 500GB HD as follows..

1GB partition, HFS+, named Chameleon

120GB partition, HFS+, named Macintosh

64GB partition, FAT, named Windows

280GB partition. HFS+, named Vault

• Then installed 10.5 from retail DVD to the Macintosh partition, followed by the 10.5.7 combo updater,.

• Next, install Chameleon v2 RC1 to the Chameleon partition.

• Add AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisbaler.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions

• Rebuild Chameleon's /Extra/extensions.mkext.

• Reboot in to new Chameleon, and select Macintosh from the boot menu.

• Boots succesfully, but no sound, shutdown, restart, sleep, no video drivers just default video.

• So, tick all three checkboxes in Preferences/Energy Saver

• Add video EFI string to com.plist.Boot.plist in /Extra

• Add OpenHaltRestart.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

• Add VoodooHDA.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions. Also add VoodooHDA pref pane.

* Then follow twr's (Reply #7) guide (only bullet points 1-4) here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,155.0.html to add dependencies for VoodooHDA to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

• Add Disabler.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

• Rebuild Chameleon's /Extra/extensions.mkext.

• Add my patched SMBIOS to Chameleon's /Extra.

Reboot and job done. Fully working vanilla system. (apart from sleep)

To sum up, my Chameleon /Extra/Extensions folder contains the following..

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

Disabler.kext (contains only AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler and IntelCPUPMDisabler)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext (This is blocked in Disabler.kext, so no point having it twice)

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

dsmos.kext (Since found out that as I am running AppleDecrypt & Disabler, then I don't need this)

and the retail install remains untouched!

:)

By installing the kext from there, now everything works for me perfectly - even sleep with USB device attached :( .

Hi star_of_gpf

Before I replied...

'Thanks for the input. Yes, I had previously tried Slice's Fix, and just to make sure, I have tried it again. I didn't need a fix for USB but I was hoping it might help the sleep issue but unfortunately it doesn't have any effect'

But now I believe you called it right with regard to USB. As I was pointing my focus on my 8800GT being the cause of my sleep issue, I decided to swap in a 8600GTS for testing and sleep still didn't work so I know it's not the graphics card that I was blaming. When attempting to sleep, with either graphics card installed, the console reported the following....

System Sleep

Wake reason = USB2

So, my focus is now aimed at USB (like you suggested) :(

Great job guys (especially blackosx) for keeping the board going, I have been soooo busy at work I intend to upgrade to 10.5.7, and post a new guide in the next week or so.

I have been studio shooting as well if you are interested in photography