Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Thanks for a brilliant tutorial!

I installed from Kaly and it all went fine. Btw. You might want to mention that if your retail partition name includes spaces (mine was "Mac OS X") the last sh script won't work. Erasing the partition and naming it just "Mac" solved the problem.

But onto my problem. When I'm supposed to boot into the new partition, darwin only list the partitions on my first (sata0) drive which has Kaly installed. All my other drives/partitions are missing. Any idea what can have caused this? Don't know if it is related, but I did have to unplug all drives but one to even get the Kaly disc to install. Do you know if this is related to the install or darwin? And what can I do to fix this?

I'm rather stuck at this point, and I feel like I've tried everything I can think of. I've done the install several times. All with the same result.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I installed from Kaly and it all went fine. Btw. You might want to mention that if your retail partition name includes spaces (mine was "Mac OS X") the last sh script won't work. Erasing the partition and naming it just "Mac" solved the problem.

But onto my problem. When I'm supposed to boot into the new partition, darwin only list the partitions on my first (sata0) drive which has Kaly installed. All my other drives/partitions are missing. Any idea what can have caused this? Don't know if it is related, but I did have to unplug all drives but one to even get the Kaly disc to install. Do you know if this is related to the install or darwin? And what can I do to fix this?

I'm rather stuck at this point, and I feel like I've tried everything I can think of. I've done the install several times. All with the same result.

I am at work on my iPhone, I will consider your question in the morning. Maybe another user will help out in the meantime. I will check the script in the current install guide, thanks.

make sure you set your bios to boot to your new installed hard drive, not the kaly one

Yes. That was the first thing I tried. It doesn't even boot. It just gives me a blinking cursor. Might seem like the bootloader didn't get installed correctly as both Kaly and XxX10.5.6 installs and boots just fine.

I am absolutely sure that I've done everything correct (and I've done it several times) and according to this guide. Same board and everything.

Yes. That was the first thing I tried. It doesn't even boot. It just gives me a blinking cursor. Might seem like the bootloader didn't get installed correctly as both Kaly and XxX10.5.6 installs and boots just fine.

I am absolutely sure that I've done everything correct (and I've done it several times) and according to this guide. Same board and everything.

something is wrong with your method. dont know what to day. sorry.

all the bios screens are set right?

Since we all have the same setup....

Has anyone here gotten Parallels or Fusion working? I had this working fine on my previous setup but the Windows partition is just not recognized anymore. The drive still works because if I go into the bios change the boot order, it'll boot into Windows just fine.

I bet the reasons this doesn't work anymore is because of one or both:

1) My OS X drive is formatted GUID and I was MBR before. Chain0 won't work with GUID.

2) AHCI is on. My copy of XP wasn't made with the AHCI turned on.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten this working with our hardware setup and if it is worth the effort.

VMware Fusion works great installing virtual machines, but do you mean dual booting?

If so then I am the same as you. As far as I know, the PC_EFI v9 Chameleon Edition 1.0.12 bootloader doesn't see the second hard drive so I have to press F12 through to BIOS at boot and select the second HD if I want Windows (which is formatted as MBR).

The only way I found to boot a separate HD with GUID and EFI partition is to use dfe's boot-132, then you get the option to select hard drives, 80 or 81 by pressing escape at boot. See here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330. But I can't remember if it allowed to boot an MBR HD. That was a great install and it's not that difficult to setup but I couldn't get sound working so I used lensboards method instead and for me it's perfect.

It's not sleep but HIBERNATE WORKS!

I was just reading about PCEFI v9 from netkas.org and came across this. http://netkas.org/?p=74

All I did was go here http://deepsleep.free.fr/ and download Deep Sleep. Unzip it and double click to install the widget.

Click the widget, it asks for your password. Then my system gracefully went in to hibernation, with fans and lights all off. Pressing the power button on the case starts the PC as if it was a hard reset, but when it gets to the PCEFI v9 bootloader, it finds the hibernation file and WAKES!.. back to where I was.. Great!

I am using BIOS F10, so you will need to see if it works on other versions. Also there are a few options on netkas' page to try if it doesn't work.

:(

It's not sleep but HIBERNATE WORKS!

I was just reading about PCEFI v9 from netkas.org and came across this. http://netkas.org/?p=74

All I did was go here http://deepsleep.free.fr/ and download Deep Sleep. Unzip it and double click to install the widget.

Click the widget, it asks for your password. Then my system gracefully went in to hibernation, with fans and lights all off. Pressing the power button on the case starts the PC as if it was a hard reset, but when it gets to the PCEFI v9 bootloader, it finds the hibernation file and WAKES!.. back to where I was.. Great!

I am using BIOS F10, so you will need to see if it works on other versions. Also there are a few options on netkas' page to try if it doesn't work.

:rolleyes:

wow, great find, I will check it out also.

I think there were more options available but I only had a few minutes to play with it this morning.

Hope it works for you. I look forward to hearing how you get on. :(

it will be a week or so, I am very busy this week

it will be a week or so, I am very busy this week

OK.. No probs

I will look in to it further and see what else I can find. :(

The PDF documentation at http://deepsleep.free.fr/ explains everything well.

However change settings with caution!

I set the Widget Sleep to Quick. Then clicked Deep Sleep.

My PC hung.. Main BIOS checksum error!.. it recovered my BIOS back to F6 from F10.

I then booted back to OSX and reset Deep Sleep to it's default settings and clicked Deep Sleep.

It closed down, but didn't manage to turn off the computer, the lights and fans were still on. But after reset, when booting and reaching the PC_EFI bootloader it found the hibernate file and brought the system back to where it was.

I have since re-flashed the motherboard to BIOS version F10.

So to conclude for now with my setup,

BIOS F10 using Deep Sleep - Widget Sleep mode: Deep - works perfectly.

BIOS F6 using Deep Sleep - Widget Sleep mode: Deep - creates a hibernation file but it won't turn the PC off.

DO NOT set Widget Sleep mode: to Quick. Leave on Deep!

Great guide lensboard. I've followed this thread for months and finally got all my parts together and did an install. Everything looks pretty good. Is there anyway to ever disable AHCI mode after installation? I've noticed that it boots pretty slow in this mode and I'd like to change it back if possible.

Thanks

Trying to update a successful 10.5.5 that has been running for a while.

During post-patch I get this:

2009-04-05 21:12:45.029 diskutil[2036:a0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

2009-04-05 21:12:45.247 DiskManagementTool[2037:10b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Then during reboot I get kernel panics something about no drivers for CPU decvice ID=1.

So I tried backing everything up and a clean install

Retail 10.5.4

Combo Update 10.5.6

UInstaller from PCwiz as included in your package.

run post patch from Terminal

Same Error 35. So, I went into /Library/Preferences/System Config looking for the file you mention needs to be fixed. I have only boot.plist no other files.

During reboot I get a random selection of gray apple to blue screen or gray apple to kernel panic.

Don't want to sound bitchy but I have spent over 20 hours trying to figure this out on my own. I'm going to try one last time to just get 10.5.5 to work again, but the last couple times that crashed, too.

Any ideas?

Actual text of Kernel panic during boot:

unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.7.58/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

Here's a dump of the NetworkInterfaces.plist that exists on the old install (that no longer works since I tried the update to 10.5.6)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AB/Qosba

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX5@1C,5/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/AppleRTL8169Ethernet/IOEthernetInterface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>Ethernet</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AB/QosVK

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/PEX4@1C,4/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/AppleRTL8169Ethernet/IOEthernetInterface</string>

<string>Ethernet</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>fw0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<integer>144</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AKiYmgAAH9A=

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HUB0@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci104c,8024@7/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireLocalNode/IOFireWireIP/IOFWInterface</string>

<string>FireWire</string>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

Notice it shows one ethernet connection as builtin one at NOT builtin

No luck with fresh format and installs. I'm going to see if percussive repair will help..... I'll beat on it with a 8 pound sledge until it works. ::chuckle::

Hi OB/GYN Kenobi

I used a Genuine Retail install DVD of 10.5 then updated using the 10.5.6 Combo updater from Apple as Lensboard's guide. You say you start by installing 10.5.4, can you try starting from 10.5.0? Just a guess..

It's probably not going to help as you say you actually get to the point of running the post patch...

So I can't really offer any more help. Hopefully someone else can throw some help your way.

Hi OB/GYN Kenobi

I used a Genuine Retail install DVD of 10.5 then updated using the 10.5.6 Combo updater from Apple as Lensboard's guide. You say you start by installing 10.5.4, can you try starting from 10.5.0? Just a guess..

It's probably not going to help as you say you actually get to the point of running the post patch...

So I can't really offer any more help. Hopefully someone else can throw some help your way.

The silly part is I successfully did this from Retail 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 then things went south with the .6 update. I'm going to try the LS8v15 method.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77165

Will these kexts work on EP-45-DS3R? Thanks

They should. The ICH10 and ICH10R chips have almost no differences. However you may not be able to use BIOS created RAID volumes. Disk Utility RAID or a program I have seen referred to as "Super Duper" may do soft-RAID (play on words for duplicate?- dupe-r). If you don't need RAID then you are set.

You can see earlier in the thread that I had problems. Still having problems with my GA-EP45-DS3L mobo and Q9300 setup. But I was able to use this same setup (with an audio patch change) to successfully install RETAIL 10.5.4 upgrade to 10.5.6 for my GA-EP45T-DS3R and Q9400. The only difference between the boards is the ICH10/R and the 889a/888 audio chipsets. And the 45T supports DDR3 vs your board supports DDR2.

BLACKOSX: and LENSBOARD:

How odd is it that I can get the WRONG board to work, but the RIGHT board won't update.

The Ls8 setup keeps freezing. Kalyway 10.5.2 install running OSInstall.mpkg from 10.5.4 retail CD freezes during install. I'm gonna get a drink and a 16 pound sledge this time.......... Maybe a "lefthanded" cigarette........

How odd is it that I can get the WRONG board to work, but the RIGHT board won't update.

Very strange. I have no idea why your DS3L install won't update. But well done with the DS3R though.

You obviously know what you are doing and you'll get the DS3L sorted soon. 10.5.7 will be out soon, so maybe wait for that?