Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

write a guide, send it to me. If I can follow it, I will publish it here.

I have put in to detail the install I have been working on and attached v1 for trials. I have followed it, used it and took screenshots of the build to help noobs, and have attached those as well. Let me know what you think and if you follow it, how you get on?

Many Thanks

;)

EDIT: ooops forgot this. You can add a SMBIOS.plist to Chameleon's /Extra folder so your mac can report it's hardware properly etc. Here's the one I am using, but you'll need to replace the SMSerial string with the one you currently see in System Profiler/Hardware at the bottom of the list.

Screen_Grabs_for_Documentation.zip

SMBIOS.plist.zip

GA_EP45_DS3L_Vanilla_Install_Guide.zip

Thank you BlackOSX for really great instructions.

Just installed MacOS to my computer following your guide.

Have ONE problem with my fresh MacOS installation: I can't make mic to work.

Can you help me to find a direction to solve this problem?

Thank a lot for your guide.

Thank you BlackOSX for really great instructions.

Just installed MacOS to my computer following your guide.

Have ONE problem with my fresh MacOS installation: I can't make mic to work.

Can you help me to find a direction to solve this problem?

Thank a lot for your guide.

Hi Promas, Well done.

Thanks for flagging the issue with the mic input. I don't have a microphone, so I haven't tested it on my system. I will see if I can somehow test this on my system and maybe anyone else here who has tried this (or at least VoodooHDA) can verify the same for their systems?

Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Well I have had a look at the forum for VoodooHDA and there are a couple of posts from people with different systems saying their mic input doesn't work either. But let's not give up yet. We need this verified.....

@Promas: Try to using the 'ALC888.pkg' the user 'abezors' said about it on few posts ago...

@BlackOSX, i did´nt installed yet, but like we can see, your guide is perfectly. Thanks! :(

Regards.

Does it work fine from Chameleon Extensions folder?

I have tried the ALC888.pkg but unfortunately it didn't work from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions on my system.

I have also tried the VoodooHDA Mic input by speaking it to a pair of headphones. I can hear the input through the speakers (like a monitor) but it isn't recognised by software to record from. Remember that this is still in beta and it will improve.

But if you need to use mic input now then the only option I can think of is to go back to using the audio kexts from the start of this thread, and putting them in the System/Library/Extensions folder using kexthelper, which unfortunately means losing a completely vanilla install.

I have tried the ALC888.pkg but unfortunately it didn't work from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions on my system.

I have also tried the VoodooHDA Mic input by speaking it to a pair of headphones. I can hear the input through the speakers (like a monitor) but it isn't recognised by software to record from. Remember that this is still in beta and it will improve.

But if you need to use mic input now then the only option I can think of is to go back to using the audio kexts from the start of this thread, and putting them in the System/Library/Extensions folder using kexthelper, which unfortunately means losing a completely vanilla install.

I don't know if it helps, but I want to say that I was able to use mic when I plugged my old logitech webcam. It ran without installing any additional kext.

;)

I don't know if it helps, but I want to say that I was able to use mic when I plugged my old logitech webcam. It ran without installing any additional kext.

;)

Hi macastragalos

Yes, this helps . And you are running the vanilla install too with just VoodooHDA. What did it work in? did you see it working in System Prefs/Sound?, or was it in iChat or something?

Don't you know where I can find logs for OS loading process?

Yes. Load System Profiler, then check Logs from the bottom left somewhere.

Also, if you want to see what Chameleon loads at boot time, you can press the pause key just after it starts to load the selected partition, to pause the process to be able to read what it's doing.

Hi macastragalos

Yes, this helps . And you are running the vanilla install too with just VoodooHDA. What did it work in? did you see it working in System Prefs/Sound?, or was it in iChat or something?

It directly worked in skype. I only had to choose usb unknown device in skype's sound preferences. :)

So to sum up then guys. VoodooHDA mic input doesn't work yet with the 3.5mm jack plug.

But if you're willing to go USB route and this product works then I guess we can say this problem has been solved (or worked around)?

And Proma, if you do get that USB 5.1 card and it does work then please can you report back and let us know?

Many Thanks

;)

I ran through both guides today and they both worked well. I tried blackosx version 2nd, and although it was more intensive things like audio are much improved. Thank you to all those who contributed!

Thanks for the feedback brushedtooth. Yes, I agree, my instructions are detailed and there are many steps. But in time I think the guide can maybe become more automated by either the use of scripts or a Chameleon Boot CD?

I have put in to detail the install I have been working on and attached v1 for trials. I have followed it, used it and took screenshots of the build to help noobs, and have attached those as well. Let me know what you think and if you follow it, how you get on?

Many Thanks

:D

EDIT: ooops forgot this. You can add a SMBIOS.plist to Chameleon's /Extra folder so your mac can report it's hardware properly etc. Here's the one I am using, but you'll need to replace the SMSerial string with the one you currently see in System Profiler/Hardware at the bottom of the list.

I get a Panic with your good Retail 10.5.7 guide on my Q6600 (it stops obsiouly on CPU -  is'nt supported). I think is neecessary to apply the A**leIntelCPU patch. I know that the Chameleon2 way is better, but is not for all configurations that are'nt like a mac.

All fine with the (excellent) lensboard 10.5.5 guide, but stalls with 10.5.6 (probably the problem was DSDT.aml). Now i retry

PS: @blackosx

You had made a better job but the guide is more confortable mixing pictures and text .. in some passages may be in trouble. But is a great job for all the comunity

I get a Panic with your good Retail 10.5.7 guide on my Q6600 (it stops obsiouly on CPU -  is'nt supported). I think is neecessary to apply the A**leIntelCPU patch. I know that the Chameleon2 way is better, but is not for all configurations that are'nt like a mac.

All fine with the (excellent) lensboard 10.5.5 guide, but stalls with 10.5.6 (probably the problem was DSDT.aml). Now i retry

PS: @blackosx

You had made a better job but the guide is more confortable mixing pictures and text .. in some passages may be in trouble. But is a great job for all the comunity

Hi Z4g0r, Sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you.

I did mention at the start of my guide that I didn't know if it would work for everyone's setup. The post was originally intended for Lensboard to read and test but as I put it up publically then it's been good that others have attempted to follow it. And as it's only version 1, the guide is still in development and will be amended with pictures for easier reference as it matures.

But thanks for trying it out, and it's only by following out these tests that we can find out what works and what doesn't. Then with info coming back like this, the guide can be tweaked to fit most setups. And if you're prepared to have another try then please report back any further success.

As you mention DSDT.aml then I can verify that in my trials using one, I could remove the disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and let it run as intended.

Thanks again for trying and I look forward to hearing how you get in with further attempts :D

Hi Z4g0r, Sorry to hear it hasn't worked for you.

I did mention at the start of my guide that I didn't know if it would work for everyone's setup. The post was originally intended for Lensboard to read and test but as I put it up publically then it's been good that others have attempted to follow it. And as it's only version 1, the guide it will be amended and the pictures can be put along side for easier reference.

But thanks for trying it out, and it's only by following out these tests that we can find out what works and what doesn't. Then with info coming back like this, the guide can be tweaked to fit most setups. And if you're prepared to have another try then please report back any further success.

As you mention DSDT.aml then I can verify that in my trials using one, I could remove the disabler for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and let it run as intended.

Thanks again for trying and I look forward to hearing how you get in with further attempts :D

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat blackOSX

It work's!!!

I mistake the boot disk!!!

I have Cameleon on all two disk, and secure that the disk corret to boot is 0 it goes with old configuration

Now i change the boot sequence in the BIOS ... and all works FINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Great BlackOSX

Work the videocard too all two monitors!!!

Now i try all and after write the post, i geek it and make the other things in your manua!!! (i m stop at the reboot line)

For the video ai use the OSXTool EFI generator because in the EFI 1.0 and 1.1 there isnt a nvidia generic!!

Can i translate the guide in italian for all comunity? TIA in advance i send you a copy

PS: Softupdate is started with updates .. u can have made it?

It work's!!!

For the video ai use the OSXTool EFI generator because in the EFI 1.0 and 1.1 there isnt a nvidia generic!!

Can i translate the guide in italian for all comunity? TIA in advance i send you a copy

PS: Softupdate is started with updates .. u can have made it?

This is great. Well done. I am happy to hear you now have it working! :)

Thanks for the tip for using OSXTool EFI, I will have a look at it.

Yes, you can translate the guide to Italian.

By Softupdate, I guess you mean apple updates? - Yes go ahead and update.

Thanks for reporting back :)

PS. Could you let me know what hardware you are running?

This is great. Well done. I am happy to hear you now have it working! :)

Thanks for the tip for using OSXTool EFI, I will have a look at it.

Yes, you can translate the guide to Italian.

By Softupdate, I guess you mean apple updates? - Yes go ahead and update.

Thanks for reporting back :)

PS. Could you let me know what hardware you are running?

The hardware is in mine signature, Mobo GA-EP45-DS3L, CPU Quad Q6600 at 2.4 Ghz, 4GB Ram (4xKingston Kvr800D2N5 800 Mhz), Video Xfx Geforce 9500 GT 512 Mb GDDR2, 1.5 Tb Hardisk (2x750Gb Sata Samsung @7200)

The Geekbench is more better now. It is 4603 (old was 4464 on Kaly 10.5.2) i think because the 10.5.7 improve more drivers and know the ICH10. iBench is 3.95 (Kaly under Chameleon 3.94)

Profiler means that is a MacPro 2,1 (Kaly MacPro 3,1)

CPU is called 2.2 Ghz Unknow (it is 2.4), CpuCache and cores are correcty (respectyvely 8Mb, 4 cores). bus is running 1.07 Ghz (1066 )

Ram is knowed as Apple at 667 Mhz (but it is 800Mhz, in Vista is correctly, no a down of bios)

Disks are correctly viewed and Profiler show a beautiful Intel IHC10 AHCI at 3Gb of speed the same for the DVD

Audio works fine and is built-in. Exit is unknown. Headphones on frontal audio out are knowed and works perfectly. Mic does'nt work (frontal and back).. im gone to read the post back and .... study voodoo kext...

Firewire is viewed as 400 (pci card w/chip VIA VT6306) and working very well

Video card (Xfx 9500 GT 512Mb) is better running and is viewed as a 9600 GT OpenGL Engine EFi 32 with Quartz extreme, CI hardware accelerated and rotation supported and working better

USB hub, tv stick external, dvd recorder, are correctly viewed and works

Network is running and fully works. Mac's (original) on the net, are viewed, the M$ pc are viewed also

Mac alu kbd and Logitech mouse USB

Original iLife 08 installed from retail DVD is working and updated from "software update" work perfect

I stress it with all applicatons. All soft works. ALL ALL ALL

For the hd1 i used your partition skeme with 1 GB for Cameleon and 320 for Mac (and the others) on the other disk hd0 there is Kaly, Vista and Win7 RC1 build 7100. Both disk have the Chameleon2

Apple Software Update works fine: updated Safari, Quicktime, itunes etc etc

END of first report (like a job) .. for the comunity

:):P:)

PS: I think that is time that you open a thread with the guide of "retail 10.5.7 on GA EP45-DS3L"

Thank you for the comprehensive report. It will come in useful for others for comparison.

PS: I think that is time that you open a thread with the guide of "retail 10.5.7 on GA EP45-DS3L"

Maybe you're right. I was giving Lensboard the opportunity to expand this thread with this but it might keep things cleaner if it were in it's own new post... we'll see. :)

Thank you for the comprehensive report. It will come in useful for others for comparison.

Maybe you're right. I was giving Lensboard the opportunity to expand this thread with this but it might keep things cleaner if it were in it's own new post... we'll see. ;)

Yes, but this is the better (thanks for important experience to Lensboard) 10.5.6 guide, u describe to install a 10.5.7 ....... another world!!! :angel: