Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

10.5.7 will be out soon, so maybe wait for that?

I'll do a 10.6 SNOW first!!!!! Gawd this is annoying! And the next one will be an i7 Core on an x58 board. then I can really go insane.........

Got the P45-DS3L to finally take by using 10.5.4 Retail. Combo Update to 10.5.6. Lensboard's post-patch from 10.5.5 guide, Chameleon 2.0rc1.

Took forever to update boot caches during shutdown. But it restarted and booted -x

Now nothing will reinstall my ATi2400 video card.

EFI studio- nope

ATi Radeon HD.pkg (from netkas)- nope

UInstaller (from pcwiz) - nope

I've resorted to "Graphics Mode"="[monitor supported max]" in my boot.plist

the netkas.pkg worked fine on all the other installs I've made including a 2400, 3870, and 3850.

The drinking is helping. It means I have to get up every 45min to pee. other wise I would have bedsores from this office chair.

I finally have everything in my machine working, mainly thanks to this guide. I am running a Q9550 Core Quad. I bumped the bus speed up to 400 and took put all the other settings explicitly at their default values. This has gotten me a clock speed of 3.4ghz. Temps are fine with my after market Thermaltake cooler. I run at 35 celsius idle and 50 under load.

Couple other things. I had issues with Time Machine initially and the Time Machine fix on the UInstaller gave an error. I fixed this issue by installing ToH's kexts.

Also on my video card the EFI strings didn't work fully. I wasn't getting video on games. I have a 512MB 9800 GTX. I ended up using GFX strings from this guide from aquamac at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98666.

Shutdown and sleep work great. I don't really use sleep mode. All and all it's a beast of a machine.

7002 geekbench score :unsure:

Thanks for all the great info on this thread, I love my new Hackintosh!!

I finally have everything in my machine working, mainly thanks to this guide. I am running a Q9550 Core Quad. I bumped the bus speed up to 400 and took put all the other settings explicitly at their default values. This has gotten me a clock speed of 3.4ghz. Temps are fine with my after market Thermaltake cooler. I run at 35 celsius idle and 50 under load.

Couple other things. I had issues with Time Machine initially and the Time Machine fix on the UInstaller gave an error. I fixed this issue by installing ToH's kexts.

Also on my video card the EFI strings didn't work fully. I wasn't getting video on games. I have a 512MB 9800 GTX. I ended up using GFX strings from this guide from aquamac at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98666.

Shutdown and sleep work great. I don't really use sleep mode. All and all it's a beast of a machine.

7002 geekbench score :unsure:

Thanks for all the great info on this thread, I love my new Hackintosh!!

how did you get sleep working?

how did you get sleep working?

I don't think it's working 100%. As I said I don't really use it. I just changed the energy saver settings to what was recommended in this thread. It seems to work pretty consistently. Occasionally I'll lose some USB devices and have to unplug and plug them back in.

I finally have everything in my machine working

Well done Ankiel. Good to hear it's all working.

Great geekbench score!. (I only get 4110 with the setup in my sig. and it's very quick for me, so yours must be lightning!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I followed the instructions and got everything up and running but it seems like if I leave my computer running when I leave, after a certain amount of time, it will freeze up and I need to restart in order to get back in. Also, the system clock slows down and I have to reset it by launching the System Preferences so that it will contact the network and get the correct time. The other thing is that occassionally, I will see a freeze screen where OS X tells me that it needs to be restarted.

Obviously, the biggest thing for me is the hanging thing. Thoughts or what info could I look at to determine why it would be doing this?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm using BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 mobo which is using the same chipset with this board. Despite the BIOS, i think i can use those configuration stated here to setup my 10.5.6 on it.

FYI, last night i try to install iPC 10.5.6 but i got "Installation Fail. Setup cannot start up your hard disk". This happened at the end of the installation (around 98~99%).

Anyone know what going on?

SOlution done:

1. Partitioning my harddisk with GParted (HFS+ journaled) with MBR

2. Partitioning my harddisk with GParted (HFS+ journaled) with GPUID

Anyone updated to 10.5.7?

I assume the update process would be to boot off the scratch drive (old Kalyway install in my case), install the update on the real drive and then reboot to the real drive?

Anyone updated to 10.5.7?

I assume the update process would be to boot off the scratch drive (old Kalyway install in my case), install the update on the real drive and then reboot to the real drive?

Works for me.

Yes, I booted off my maintenance install (Kalyway in my case also) and installed the 10.5.7 update. Copy your kexts back in, and everything should be fine.

Hi there,

I just read every post in this topic, but I didn't found anything about an retail DVD boot.

Just want to build my own and need to know, which kext's I should copy on it.

This guide didn't work for me, now. - Maybe I will figure out, what I've done wrong... and yes I'm a noob ;o)

If I follow this guide I will get panics at CPU and ACPI and I don't really know how to solve it.

Many thanks for some advise in advance ;o)

------

My hadware:

- EP45-DS3L

- CPU Q9550

- RAM OZX Reaper 1066mhz

- Lan GA311 - onboard disabled

- Gfx 9800 GT 512mb

I just saw 10.5.7 show up as avail, anyone installed this on this board yet?

Hi lensboard

Works for me.

Yes, I booted off my maintenance install (Kalyway in my case also) and installed the 10.5.7 update. Copy your kexts back in, and everything should be fine.

Well done Shadow Sorcerer,

For me though, I have had varying results including a kernel panic and a few attempts using a backup of this 10.5.6 install.

What I currently have that works is as follows.. (Everything works but restart only quits OSX but doesn't restart the PC and sleep doesn't work.)

Note: I am typing this from memory at work, away from my home setup and notes so I can't be 100% sure these are the exact steps i took.

To Update a current system:

Boot into a different running system from the one you want to update.

Apply the 10.5.7 Combo update to the system you want to update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_..._7_Combo_Update

Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions

Re-Install Chameleon v2 RC (I have this running on my setup now, updated from using PC_EFI v9)

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,233.0.html

Add AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions (I will have to find the link to where I got these from)

Replace the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.text from the 10.5.6 install in to /System/Library/Extensions (using kexthelper b7)

Add your 10.5.6 ShutdownFix

Repair Permissions

Reboot.

Fingers crossed and all will be working apart from Restart and Sleep.

Fresh Install

I have also tried a fresh install too using your guide for 10.5.6 with a retail DVD but using the 10.5.7 combo updater, then the same steps as above and this works too.

There might be a better way to do all this, and maybe I have done things that aren't necessary but I am just saying what I have done and where I currently am with this.

Hi lensboard

Well done Shadow Sorcerer,

For me though, I have had varying results including a kernel panic and a few attempts using a backup of this 10.5.6 install.

What I currently have that works is as follows.. (Everything works but restart only quits OSX but doesn't restart the PC and sleep doesn't work.)

Note: I am typing this from memory at work, away from my home setup and notes so I can't be 100% sure these are the exact steps i took.

To Update a current system:

Boot into a different running system from the one you want to update.

Apply the 10.5.7 Combo update to the system you want to update

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_..._7_Combo_Update

Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions

Re-Install Chameleon v2 RC (I have this running on my setup now, updated from using PC_EFI v9)

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,233.0.html

Add AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions (I will have to find the link to where I got these from)

Replace the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext, AppleHDA.kext, HDAEnabler.text from the 10.5.6 install in to /System/Library/Extensions (using kexthelper b7)

Add your 10.5.6 ShutdownFix

Repair Permissions

Reboot.

Fingers crossed and all will be working apart from Restart and Sleep.

Fresh Install

I have also tried a fresh install too using your guide for 10.5.6 with a retail DVD but using the 10.5.7 combo updater, then the same steps as above and this works too.

There might be a better way to do all this, and maybe I have done things that aren't necessary but I am just saying what I have done and where I currently am with this.

Thanks guys, I will test and add to the tutorial next week.

@blackosx:

Updating from 10.5.6 was not so complicated for me. (?)

I also used the combo update. However, I re-ran ep45-post-patch.sh from the install guide after that. The only kexts I had to take care of by hand were for audio. I did notice the "Error 35" bug had returned, but repatching IONetworkingFamily.kext took care of that.

That was all my system required. I'm still using my old Chameleon install (1.x, which I did not need to reinstall after the update). My system also properly reboots (although I haven't tested sleep since it has never worked for me in the past).

This kind of makes me wonder what's different between our systems... graphics maybe? I have a 7300GT enabled via Titan here. BIOS? (F8 here.)

post-22633-1242406081_thumb.png

@blackosx:

Updating from 10.5.6 was not so complicated for me. (?)

I also used the combo update. However, I re-ran ep45-post-patch.sh from the install guide after that. The only kexts I had to take care of by hand were for audio. I did notice the "Error 35" bug had returned, but repatching IONetworkingFamily.kext took care of that.

That was all my system required. I'm still using my old Chameleon install (1.x, which I did not need to reinstall after the update). My system also properly reboots (although I haven't tested sleep since it has never worked for me in the past).

This kind of makes me wonder what's different between our systems... graphics maybe? I have a 7300GT enabled via Titan here. BIOS? (F8 here.)

Hi Shadow Sorcerer

You are absolutely correct. I restored my backup partition to my original Lensboard 10.5.6 install from a disk image I have which uses PC_EFI v9. Made sure it was fully up to date apart from 10.5.7, then did just what you said and Bingo!, it worked. Although I re-added the complete EP45-DS3L kext package, and the Disabler.kext to cure the Quicktime mouse skip, with UInstaller. This cured the reboot problem too.

I think my other attempt got a bit too ambitious because I was using Chameleon v2, I got confused with the /Extra folder it uses to enable a fully vanilla install by having the modified extensions in the /Extra/Extensions folder, leaving the System/Library/Extensions untouched. I will try this again though and see if I can do it.

As for the hardware my system details are in my sig, but I think it came down to my understanding of Chameleon rather than different hardware spec. But I have attached details to show you.

Anyway, thanks again.

And Lensboard, for your guide, I guess you can ignore my previous ramblings :thumbsup_anim:

post-331032-1242425630_thumb.png

Hi there,

I just read every post in this topic, but I didn't found anything about an retail DVD boot.

Just want to build my own and need to know, which kext's I should copy on it.

This guide didn't work for me, now. - Maybe I will figure out, what I've done wrong... and yes I'm a noob ;o)

If I follow this guide I will get panics at CPU and ACPI and I don't really know how to solve it.

Many thanks for some advise in advance ;o)

------

My hadware:

- EP45-DS3L

- CPU Q9550

- RAM OZX Reaper 1066mhz

- Lan GA311 - onboard disabled

- Gfx 9800 GT 512mb

Hi again,

has anyone an idea for me? :(

Would be very great.

Have a nice weekend.

10.5.7 Update from 10.5.6 with Chameleon v2.0RC r431

Just to clear up my earlier experience, The successful way for me was as follows...

• Boot into a different install.

• Apply the 10.5.7 combo update to the 10.5.6 system.

• Re-run PCWiz's UInstaller from lensboards guide and apply ALL the kexts ONLY. (NOT PC_EFI v9)

• Add AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions.

• Re-run the post-patch.sh (it will error complaining about permissions)

• Reboot.

Job done.

10.5.7 Update from 10.5.6 with Chameleon v2.0RC r431

Just to clear up my earlier experience, The successful way for me was as follows...

• Boot into a different install.

• Apply the 10.5.7 combo update to the 10.5.6 system.

• Re-run PCWiz's UInstaller from lensboards guide and apply ALL the kexts ONLY. (NOT PC_EFI v9)

• Add AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions.

• Re-run the post-patch.sh (it will error complaining about permissions)

• Reboot.

Job done.

I get kernel panic!

Hi again,

has anyone an idea for me? :tomato:

Would be very great.

Have a nice weekend.

Hi bzzzum

I have read your question, but I'm not sure how to help. I guess you got a different system up and running first to allow you to install retail with this method? Exactly where in the process did you get your panics for CPU and ACPI?

Hi, now I have made it. After I had the Kernel Panic, I have anew installed of OSX. Unfortunately, I had problems to activate my graphic card with Chameleon v2 RC. IT is a Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB. Then I have go back into my iPC installation and opened UInstaller once more. I've give it another chance with PCEFIv9. After that I explain the "post-patch.sh" file and now it work's but without the beautifully Chameleon v2 RC boot screen :(

How can I install my graphic card without pciefiv9 and with Chameleon v2 RC?

My installation sequence:

1. iPC on 10GB Partition

2. 250GB HDD Formated in GUID

3. Installed 10.5 to 250GB HDD

4. Downloaded and installed the 10.5.7 Combo Update

5. Opened UInstaller from lensboard

* Target Volume 250GB HDD

* Motherboard package (GAEP45-DS3L)

* Apply kext package

* Set boot timeout to 5 seconds

* Set Native Resolution to 1680 X 1050

* Install PC_EFI v9

* Apply Ethernet EFI String

* Apply EFI String for video card (Geforce 8800GTS 640)

7. Added AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions

6. Terminal and drag the "post-patch.sh" file

7. Restarted and it works :P

Can you modify my sequence to install with Chameleon v2 RC?

Sorry for my grammar, but I'm from germany and i have try my best in translation :wacko:

Hi, now I have made it. After I had the Kernel Panic, I have anew installed of OSX. Unfortunately, I had problems to activate my graphic card with Chameleon v2 RC. IT is a Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB. Then I have go back into my iPC installation and opened UInstaller once more. I've give it another chance with PCEFIv9. After that I explain the "post-patch.sh" file and now it work's but without the beautifully Chameleon v2 RC boot screen :(

How can I install my graphic card without pciefiv9 and with Chameleon v2 RC?

My installation sequence:

1. iPC on 10GB Partition

* Apply kext package

* Install PC_EFI v9

7. Added AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions

6. Terminal and drag the "post-patch.sh" file

7. Restarted and it works :D

Can you modify my sequence to install with Chameleon v2 RC?

Sorry for my grammar, but I'm from germany and i have try my best in translation :wacko:

Well done dan0ne,

Sounds like you've done it. All you need to do now is run the Chameleon v2 RC1 installer. (But I would try it on a backup of your system first, just in case it goes wrong.)

EDIT.. Where did the Extra/Extension folder come from if you have only installed PC_EFI v9?

Oh i've forget something...

my last sequence looks like this:

1. iPC on 10GB Partition

* Apply kext package

* Install PC_EFI v9 "Re-run PCWiz's UInstaller from lensboards guide and apply ALL the kexts ONLY. (NOT PC_EFI v9)"

6. Installed Chameleon v2 RC1

7. Added AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext & IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext to /Extra/Extensions (searching around and take them there)

8. Terminal and drag the "post-patch.sh" file

9. Restarted and graphic card doesn't activated

10. I've boot into iPC and started again UInstaller. I repeats step 5 with PC_EFI v9

11. Terminal and drag the "post-patch.sh" file

12. Reboot and graphic acceleration works but without boot screen :blink:

After that I installed Chameleon v2 RC1 again and Nvdarwin 640 from the iPC dvd and it works :thumbsup_anim: . Is there any loss of power compered to the EFI string from the UInstaller?

What do I make wrong in my sequence to get graphic acceleration working without nvdarwin and with Chameleon v2 RC1? I want to make a fresh installation and a backup of the running system.

Thanks blackosx and lensboard for help and the simple guide. You are the best ones :thumbsup_anim: . I have bought my hardware on account of lensboard's guide. I wanted to say this just ^^ Thanks a lot...!

I DLed 10.5.7 with Apple autoupdate. No problems, rebooted without using a Boot-132 CD. Re-installed all kext files that I was using with 10.5.6 previously without any issues.

Sleep seems to be working with all options checked on energy saver. I have a 7200GS 256MB.

I am using the older PC EFIv9, not CM2. Oh, I also have never bothered to run the post patch sh.