Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Perfect !!! ;)

What do you mean by saying "Rebuild Chameleon's /Extra/extensions.mkext" in your vanilla install guide ?

An extensions.mkext consolidates all the extensions into a sort of cache file for faster loading. I use a tool called MKextTool and you can find it on pcwiz's website. Search google

What you do is add your extensions in to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder then run MKextTool, go to the Pack tab, and drag and drop the extensions from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder in to the MKextTool window. Once added select the path to save as Chameleon's /Extra folder and click Build.

An extensions.mkext consolidates all the extensions into a sort of cache file for faster loading. I use a tool called MKextTool and you can find it on pcwiz's website. Search google

What you do is add your extensions in to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder then run MKextTool, go to the Pack tab, and drag and drop the extensions from Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder in to the MKextTool window. Once added select the path to save as Chameleon's /Extra folder and click Build.

Well, I have strictly followed your vanilla install guide, and after rebuilding kernel extension, I have rebooted and after that I have chosen macintosh partition for booting. I have seen a welcome video, and then I have come to a message asking me if I want to transfer information from another Mac. I have chosen that I don't want to transfer now and made click on Continue. But I am still waiting :( .

I don't know what I have I done wrong, but it must be anything.

At least I have tried it ;)

Thank very much again !!!

Well, I have strictly followed your vanilla install guide, and after rebuilding kernel extension, I have rebooted and after that I have chosen macintosh partition for booting. I have seen a welcome video, and then I have come to a message asking me if I want to transfer information from another Mac. I have chosen that I don't want to transfer now and made click on Continue. But I am still waiting :( .

I don't know what I have I done wrong, but it must be anything.

At least I have tried it ;)

Thank very much again !!!

I guess the description of my install is just not a step by step guide and does require a bit of knowledge. So well done for trying, I will have to write it up properly. But for now I don't really understand why your installation has stopped?

I guess the description of my install is just not a step by step guide and does require a bit of knowledge. So well done for trying, I will have to write it up properly. But for now I don't really understand why your installation has stopped?

I have thought during night that it could have to do with the fact that I have another graphics card, but I am not quite sure. It could even be that the 3 first kext (AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisbaler.kext) I have got are not exactly the appropiate ones. asI have just searched for them via google and downloaded them. Perhaps I'll try it again today.

Thank you again, my friend :wub:

P.S.: From Chameleon 2 I have been able to boot my lensboard installation perfectly.

I have thought during night that it could have to do with the fact that I have another graphics card, but I am not quite sure. It could even be that the 3 first kext (AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisbaler.kext) I have got are not exactly the appropiate ones. asI have just searched for them via google and downloaded them. Perhaps I'll try it again today.

Thank you again, my friend :)

P.S.: From Chameleon 2 I have been able to boot my lensboard installation perfectly.

because your graphics card works with lensboard install and when you installed retail leopard from DVD you were able to watch the intro movie, I don't think it is to do with that.

Also if you are using AppleDecrypt then you won't need to use dsmos.

because your graphics card works with lensboard install and when you installed retail leopard from DVD you were able to watch the intro movie, I don't think it is to do with that.

Also if you are using AppleDecrypt then you won't need to use dsmos.

I have removed dsmos and rebuilded extension kernel. Everything's still the same.

Im going to start again from the beginning. I'll tell you what'll happen. :wacko:

I have removed dsmos and rebuilded extension kernel. Everything's still the same.

Im going to start again from the beginning. I'll tell you what'll happen. ;)

Okay. Sorry it hasn't worked for you. Let me know how you get on when you try again.

EDIT: when you installed using lensboard's guide did you use the same leopard retail DVD? And did you use the same keyboard & mouse?

Okay. Sorry it hasn't worked for you. Let me know how you get on when you try again.

EDIT: when you installed using lensboard's guide did you use the same leopard retail DVD? And did you use the same keyboard & mouse?

Yes, I'm using the same leopard retail DVD, and the same keyboard & mouse.

P.S.: But I'm using F8 in Bios in comparison with you

P.S.: But I'm using F8 in Bios in comparison with you

Shouldn't be a problem.

Just thinking about your install, you said when you first installed Retail Leopard..

'I have seen a welcome video, and then I have come to a message asking me if I want to transfer information from another Mac. I have chosen that I don't want to transfer now and made click on Continue. But I am still waiting'

So I guess you have tried it again? and when booting your newly installed Macintosh Partition from Chameleon the next time, what happens? Does it replay the introduction video and ask you to got through the initial setup again? if so can you choose 'Yes' to transfer instead?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Just thinking about your install, you said when you first installed Retail Leopard..

'I have seen a welcome video, and then I have come to a message asking me if I want to transfer information from another Mac. I have chosen that I don't want to transfer now and made click on Continue. But I am still waiting'

So I guess you have tried it again? and when booting your newly installed Macintosh Partition from Chameleon the next time, what happens? Does it replay the introduction video and ask you to got through the initial setup again? if so can you choose 'Yes' to transfer instead?

Yes, I could, but I have done exactly the same. I have chosen not to transfer, because it was some hours ago. And yes, it replayed introduction video and so on.

I have had another idea. Tomorrow I will do it for the third time , but this time I will first install my retail 10.5.6 DVD without directly updating to 10.5.7. Then I will install chameleon 2.0 with the 3 first kext. Then I will rebuild kernel extension, and I will boot. Let's see what happen ;)

I have had another idea. Tomorrow I will do it for the third time , but this time I will first install my retail 10.5.6 DVD without directly updating to 10.5.7. Then I will install chameleon 2.0 with the 3 first kext. Then I will rebuild kernel extension, and I will boot. Let's see what happen :(

Okay. Let me know what happens.

And if it fails again, I am prepared to wipe my drive and repeat the installation and re-document it on my machine and maybe even take photos of the procedure to verify it. :)

Good morning gents, just checking before I update the main guide to 10.5.7, are there any issues to address?

Good morning gents, just checking before I update the main guide to 10.5.7, are there any issues to address?

Thanks blackosx for your monitoring of this topic, I have been busy and unable to work as hard as you do on this....THANKS!!

Thanks blackosx for your monitoring of this topic, I have been busy and unable to work as hard as you do on this....THANKS!!

Hi lensboard. No problems with monitoring this topic but I think I may have been taking it slighty off course a bit with my attempt at a more vanilla install. I hope you don't mind :D

Hi lensboard. No problems with monitoring this topic but I think I may have been taking it slighty off course a bit with my attempt at a more vanilla install. I hope you don't mind :D

nope dont mind at all, Vanilla is my goal as well. I have several real Macs, and 2 Hacks, sometimes the hacks are a pain, cuz the real Macs give me zero hassle, but then I would have zero fun if I stopped hacking.... :)

100% working vanilla 10.5.7 retail install !!

I have followed blackosx retail vanilla install, with the help of himself and I am now very proud of it.

I will post here a nearby step by step guide of what I have done, in order to help others.

Thank you for this fantastic forum, that has helped me so much !!! ;)

100% working vanilla 10.5.7 retail install !!

I have followed blackosx retail vanilla install, with the help of himself and I am now very proud of it.

I will post here a nearby step by step guide of what I have done, in order to help others.

Thank you for this fantastic forum, that has helped me so much !!! ;)

This is great news! Well done macastragalos. I'm glad my instructions worked for you.

If you could post the steps you have taken, along with any problems you encountered and how you have managed to solve them, then others can use the info too.

:D

This is great news! Well done macastragalos. I'm glad my instructions worked for you.

If you could post the steps you have taken, along with any problems you encountered and how you have managed to solve them, then others can use the info too.

;)

what do you guys mean.... 100%? No kexts?... what?

what do you guys mean.... 100%? No kexts?... what?

We mean 100% by having a completely untouched retail install on the hard drive. Placing any required kexts, EFI strings in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder so they get injected at boot.

So you can now install retail Leopard from DVD to a new partition and boot through Chameleon and it will work.

We mean 100% by having a completely untouched retail install on the hard drive. Placing any required kexts, EFI strings in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder so they get injected at boot.

So you can now install retail Leopard from DVD to a new partition and boot through Chameleon and it will work.

ahhhh I see. Same thing, just kexts in different place.

ahhhh I see. Same thing, just kexts in different place.

Think of it as a variation of your setup.

When I upgraded to Chameleon v2 RC1 I wanted to make use of the /Extra folder. Now I couldn't just add the extensions which are included in your GA-EP45-DS3L-Retail-guide-10.5.6 package as some of them wouldn't load from /Extra/Extensions. The audio in particular proved a pain, and the only option I have found is to use VoodooHDA, which is still in beta, but it installs to /Extra/Extensions (along with it's required dependencies, IOAudioFamily & OSvKernDSPLib) and will only get better.

With the release of 10.5.7 now including support for ICH10, we no longer need IOAHCIFamily.kext.

I no longer need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as it's one of only two kexts blocked in Disabler.kext along with AppleUpstreamClient.kext. (And after playing with DSDT patching with Chameleon v2, I have successfully removed the need to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement).

I have been slowly working to build a SMBIOS.plist which will get patched by Chameleon v2, allow my machine to report the hardware accurately to programs like Geekbench etc. (But this is really cosmetic).

I have put together a kext package which I emailed to macastragalos for testing, the contents are listed in my sig.

But if you want to have a look for yourself and see what can be changed/improved, then maybe consider adding it to your build guide? As I think it's a step forwards with regards to using Chameleon v2 and the task of just installing a retail Leopard DVD, applying the update and it boots is an attractive one. And I am looking forward to a future Apple update to test it on.

Think of it as a variation of your setup.

When I upgraded to Chameleon v2 RC1 I wanted to make use of the /Extra folder. Now I couldn't just add the extensions which are included in your GA-EP45-DS3L-Retail-guide-10.5.6 package as some of them wouldn't load from /Extra/Extensions. The audio in particular proved a pain, and the only option I have found is to use VoodooHDA, which is still in beta, but it installs to /Extra/Extensions (along with it's required dependencies, IOAudioFamily & OSvKernDSPLib) and will only get better.

With the release of 10.5.7 now including support for ICH10, we no longer need IOAHCIFamily.kext.

I no longer need to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as it's one of only two kexts blocked in Disabler.kext along with AppleUpstreamClient.kext. (And after playing with DSDT patching with Chameleon v2, I have successfully removed the need to disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement).

I have been slowly working to build a SMBIOS.plist which will get patched by Chameleon v2, allow my machine to report the hardware accurately to programs like Geekbench etc. (But this is really cosmetic).

I have put together a kext package which I emailed to macastragalos for testing, the contents are listed in my sig.

But if you want to have a look for yourself and see what can be changed/improved, then maybe consider adding it to your build guide? As I think it's a step forwards with regards to using Chameleon v2 and the task of just installing a retail Leopard DVD, applying the update and it boots is an attractive one. And I am looking forward to a future Apple update to test it on.

great job, I will give this a go, probably has many advantages... didnt mean this as a put down, I just thought you meant, 100% vanilla, as in the same if it were a real mac, and I suppose this is as close as you can get.

But if you want to have a look for yourself and see what can be changed/improved, then maybe consider adding it to your build guide?

write a guide, send it to me. If I can follow it, I will publish it here. I dont consider this to be "my" guide, it belongs to the community, I just started this thread so I can support this mobo, and be supported

I just thought you meant, 100% vanilla, as in the same if it were a real mac, and I suppose this is as close as you can get.

We're getting closer to using less extensions. One thing that will help is if someone discovers how to get audio working for this Mobo with EFI string / DSDT. As although it's ALC888 it just won't behave like other Gigabyte Mobos.

write a guide, send it to me. If I can follow it, I will publish it here.

Macastragalos kindly said he would report his install steps. I will compile it together with mine and then I'll do new documented guide with maybe pictures, put it together with a kext package etc and let you know.

I dont consider this to be "my" guide, it belongs to the community, I just started this thread so I can support this mobo, and be supported.

You did a great job posting the guide and I found it invaluable when I started using retail, so I just naturally refer to it as your guide. But you're right, it's all about giving back to the community for everyone to learn from. :)

We're getting closer to using less extensions. One thing that will help is if someone discovers how to get audio working for this Mobo with EFI string / DSDT. As although it's ALC888 it just won't behave like other Gigabyte Mobos.

Macastragalos kindly said he would report his install steps. I will compile it together with mine and then I'll do new documented guide with maybe pictures, put it together with a kext package etc and let you know.

You did a great job posting the guide and I found it invaluable when I started using retail, so I just naturally refer to it as your guide. But you're right, it's all about giving back to the community for everyone to learn from. :)

great.... Thanks very much!!