Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

YES!!! GOT IT!

I realized that my HD's are pretty F*cked up. Because of many many the installs that I did, and never remove the data, only the adress. So with the iDeneb dvd, removed all the data on the HD. So write it with only 0's. That was the key. I now did it finnaly. There are more then enough problems as I can only boot in safe mode (-x) in normal boot I get some like artifacts, the screen looks very weird at the boot screen. Can't explain. I also can't change the resolution. Any idea? Or just install a kext for my ATi HD3870? where can I find that?

Hope you get it installed, but thousands of people have been successful. Please take your ideneb questions to another thread. It is your hardware setup somewhere.

Hey, excellent tutorial. Quick question. I ordered this board from newegg, but the board uses DDR2 1200 RAM, and they were all out. They have DDR2 1150 RAM. Will this work with the board?

Many thanks!

check the ram supported on Gigabyte's site

Hi Lensboard

Just a quick update regarding my install. I had a good read of the post about Quicktime 7.6 (a lot of work by everyone went in to finding the solution!), I used the disabler.kext method in the end, everything is great.

Just a quick note, I noted the BIOS version for my EP45-DS3L is F6. So your method works for that too.

Thanks

Just been thinking....

How about adding the Disabler.kext to your Gigabyte-EP45-DS3L-Rev1.plugin for PCWiz's Universal OSx86 Installer?

Here's a link to it http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1075673

What do you think?

First of all thanks for providing the install guide & support for the Gigabyte GA EP45.

I'm planning to build my 1st hackintosh using this mb, but the sleep function not working is a big issue for me cause I use it all the time.

Is the sleep problem related to the EP45 in combination with OSX 10.5.6 or is it just 10.5.6???

On the board I found this solution http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t154548.html

anyone tried this out yet?

Thanks again

Thanks for trying to help

But if you read the start of this thread, you'll see Lensboard has uploaded pictures of the required BIOS settings for this particular install and it already uses these settings.

The sleep problem is not with 10.5.6, and it does work with patched installs like iPC - I have installed and used iDeneb 10.5.6 and JaS 10.5.4 too and sleep works with this board using those.

But this method allows for a Retail DVD install and is slightly different and sleep doesn't work with this (yet). So it's up to you to choose to either install a patched 10.5.6 like iPC or go the retail route.

Hi Lensboard

Just a quick update regarding my install. I had a good read of the post about Quicktime 7.6 (a lot of work by everyone went in to finding the solution!), I used the disabler.kext method in the end, everything is great.

Just a quick note, I noted the BIOS version for my EP45-DS3L is F6. So your method works for that too.

Thanks

Just been thinking....

How about adding the Disabler.kext to your Gigabyte-EP45-DS3L-Rev1.plugin for PCWiz's Universal OSx86 Installer?

Here's a link to it http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1075673

What do you think?

Thanks for the help. The spirit of this thread is to get as close to retail as possible. There are lots of "purists" out there. I have noted the workaround in the guide for QT 7.6 fix with the link to the disabler. The end goal here is to get to 100% retail install, and any workaround would be up to the end user. Thanks much for the help, I appreciate it.

First of all thanks for providing the install guide & support for the Gigabyte GA EP45.

I'm planning to build my 1st hackintosh using this mb, but the sleep function not working is a big issue for me cause I use it all the time.

Is the sleep problem related to the EP45 in combination with OSX 10.5.6 or is it just 10.5.6???

On the board I found this solution http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t154548.html

anyone tried this out yet?

Thanks again

Does not work. Why do you need sleep on a desktop?

Does not work. Why do you need sleep on a desktop?

Because I don't like my computer using electricity when I'm not using it, and I like the convenience of sleep over shutdown/boot. As stable as OS X is, I've had my hack running for over a month, in daily use, without rebooting.

Patrick

Because I don't like my computer using electricity when I'm not using it, and I like the convenience of sleep over shutdown/boot. As stable as OS X is, I've had my hack running for over a month, in daily use, without rebooting.

Patrick

gotcha, I understand. As soon as somebody solves this we are stuck.

I've been running a Hackintosh for back since they days of BrasilMac's patches on my GA-P35-DS3L. Most recently I was running Kalyways 10.5.1 upgraded to 10.5.6 but I always felt like it was hack ontop of hack ontop of hack.

I recently bought the P45-DS3L and followed the directions here. I used the same BIOS settings. AHCI enabled, etc. Here's my hardware:

20GB PATA IDE drive for the Kalyway install

500GB SATA for Retail

SATA DVD

GA311 enet card

4GB 1066 DDR2 SDRAM (2GB x 2)

C2Q 9550 @ 3.4GHz

8600GT Video

I had a few problems but nothing major. I had to shut off Spotlight in Kalyway or it would cause a kernel panic during the retail disc install. Afterwards I was amazed at how easy the install was! Great instructions! Thanks!

With the retail install, I'm still having an issue with kernel panics... and it reminds me of a problem I had in the past on my previous hackintosh and I was wondering if anyone was having the same problems. The system kernel panics when worked hard. Spotlight will panic the system after a few minutes of indexing. The problem in the past was supposedly a JMicron issue when using 4GB or more of memory. I got around it in the past by adding a maxmem=3456 string in the bootup to limit the ram it used to under 3.5GB as discussed in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...36&hl=crash

Anyone else have this issue?

I've been running a Hackintosh for back since they days of BrasilMac's patches on my GA-P35-DS3L. Most recently I was running Kalyways 10.5.1 upgraded to 10.5.6 but I always felt like it was hack ontop of hack ontop of hack.

I recently bought the P45-DS3L and followed the directions here. I used the same BIOS settings. AHCI enabled, etc. Here's my hardware:

500GB SATA for Retail

SATA DVD

GA311 enet card

C2Q 9550 @ 3.4GHz

8600GT Video

I had a few problems but nothing major. I had to shut off Spotlight in Kalyway or it would cause a kernel panic during the retail disc install. Afterwards I was amazed at how easy the install was! Great instructions! Thanks!

With the retail install, I'm still having an issue with kernel panics... and it reminds me of a problem I had in the past on my previous hackintosh and I was wondering if anyone was having the same problems. The system kernel panics when worked hard. Spotlight will panic the system after a few minutes of indexing. The problem in the past was supposedly a JMicron issue when using 4GB or more of memory. I got around it in the past by adding a maxmem=3456 string in the bootup to limit the ram it used to under 3.5GB as discussed in this thread:

I have not experienced this

Hi ZosoM3

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have had a quick look at the thread you posted about this and there seems to have been lots of suggestions. I guess you've tried all those.

I haven't had any issues with my install, it working exactly my like powermac G5 only quicker :)

How's the HD? could it be a bad sector? Maybe worth trying one of the hard disk tools on Hiren's boot CD?

Good luck

500GB SATA for Retail

SATA DVD

GA311 enet card

C2Q 9550 @ 3.4GHz

8600GT Video

make sure the ram's voltage is 1.8, you might also want to try a different pwr supply.

These updates are safe:

itunes 8.1 update

details:

iTunes 8.1 is now faster and more responsive. You will enjoy noticeable improvements when working with large libraries, browsing the iTunes Store, preparing to sync with iPod or iPhone, and optimizing photos for syncing.

In addition, iTunes 8.1 provides many other improvements and bug fixes, including:

• Supports syncing with iPod shuffle (3rd generation).

• Allows friends to request songs for iTunes DJ.

• Adds Genius sidebar for your Movies and TV Shows.

• Improves performance when downloading iTunes Plus songs.

• Provides AutoFill for manually managed iPods.

• Allows CDs to be imported at the same sound quality as iTunes Plus.

• Includes many accessibility improvements.

• Allows iTunes U and the iTunes Store to be disabled separately using Parental Controls.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Front Row 2.1.7 update

details:

This Front Row update provides improved iTunes 8.1 compatibility.

These updates are safe:

itunes 8.1 update

Front Row 2.1.7 update

Thanks Lensboard - That's service!

I haven't had a chance to get to my machine yet, but it's good to know in advance that everything will be fine.

This sound kext is not for the board named in this topic. You have a different board?
Sorry about that. I think the right audio kext for EP45-DS3L (ALC888) is here: http://my.ukrweb.info/en/node/527

Mine is for EP45-DS3 build which uses the ALC889a can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 There are loads of kexts to try and I happen to use the one here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=40674 and all my I/O are working fine.

Anyway, the DS3L motherboard kext you customised works perfectly for the DS3. Great job!! Sleep, shutdown and restart works. The sleep 'fix' is to check all the settings in System Preferences/Energy Saver.

The only funny thing which isn't 'working' is my screensaver. It doesnt activate automatically. No biggie but if anyone can find a fix, that would be great.

Update:

The kernel panics go away if I disable the onboard IDE controller. I didn't need the drive that has the Kalyway 10.5.1 install on it anymore anyways.

500GB SATA for Retail

SATA DVD

GA311 enet card

C2Q 9550 @ 3.4GHz

8600GT Video

Hello,

thanks a lot lot for your tuto ( sorry for my english) but i have a problem in my first boot on "retail partition" i've got this message:

"joans-ep45-ds3l mDNSresponder[34]couldn' read user-specified computer name;using default bDevice001FD097486eb instead

joans-ep45-ds3l mDNSresponder[34]couldn' read user-specified localhostname using default bDevice001FD097480.localb instead"

i don't have an acount in this partition...why?

Thanks

Sorry about that. I think the right audio kext for EP45-DS3L (ALC888) is here: http://my.ukrweb.info/en/node/527

Mine is for EP45-DS3 build which uses the ALC889a can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941 There are loads of kexts to try and I happen to use the one here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=40674 and all my I/O are working fine.

Anyway, the DS3L motherboard kext you customised works perfectly for the DS3. Great job!! Sleep, shutdown and restart works. The sleep 'fix' is to check all the settings in System Preferences/Energy Saver.

The only funny thing which isn't 'working' is my screensaver. It doesnt activate automatically. No biggie but if anyone can find a fix, that would be great.

your posts on the DS3 are confusing me, and probably most users reading here. Please stop giving out "fixes" on a different board. I would love to help, but I have no way to test your problem. Please find or create a topic for your specific board, thanks.

What's happening with the forum? I post my comment twice, but one time it didn't faced up, and the second time I see a Quote that I didn't quote. But here my comment again:

I'm almost done with my installation, but I got stuck at the last step of your tutorial. I have to drag a .SH file into the terminal, but if I do that, noting happen. Is there anybody that can make a screenshot of the terminal with the .SH dragged in the terminal. because if I know what message I am supposed to see, I can search to get to that.

What's happening with the forum? I post my comment twice, but one time it didn't faced up, and the second time I see a Quote that I didn't quote. But here my comment again:

I'm almost done with my installation, but I got stuck at the last step of your tutorial. I have to drag a .SH file into the terminal, but if I do that, noting happen. Is there anybody that can make a screenshot of the terminal with the .SH dragged in the terminal. because if I know what message I am supposed to see, I can search to get to that.

this is a basic function. If you are not this advanced, you should either buy a Mac, or stick to Kalyway. Complaining about a forum is also impolite.

Hi !

First of all thanks fo the tuto. I was able to setup my system in no time and update it to 10.5.6

I only have one problem, my system is crashing frequently (kernel panics at anytime, after 5 minutes or 90)

This has been driving me nuts fr a week now. I did install the system about 15 times with different options but nothing helps and I can't get the panic log to diagnose the problem.

Any ideas.

GA-EP45-DS3L with a Q6600

MSI GEFORCE 7300 GS

2x 1Go RAM 800Mhz

3x SATA Drives

Found the problem, I was running the F6 version of the bios.

Upgraded to F8 and everything is working fine !

Did anyone tried F9 or F10 and sleep. Might be helping as it solves problems wih S3 resume ?

try, and report back, glad you got it working.