Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Great job guys (especially blackosx) for keeping the board going, I have been soooo busy at work I intend to upgrade to 10.5.7, and post a new guide in the next week or so.

I have been studio shooting as well if you are interested in photography

Hey lensboard, good to hear from you, welcome back :)

10.5.7 bricked my machine. I have tried to reinstall following the guide only with the 10.5.7 combo update a dozen times and it never works. I am getting so @#%$ing pissed I can't see straight.

Well I have managed to get 10.5.7 on my GA-EP45-DS3L system but this time with an untouched vanilla System/Library/Extensions folder using Chameleon v2 RC1. For me, this is what using the new Chameleon is all about, allowing additional kexts to be added to it's /Extra/Extensions folder, leaving the retail Leopard install untouched.

Bad news is that everything I've tried I still can't get sleep to work. I tried it at almost every stage of this build but it never successfully went to sleep, same as before with my previous lensboard guide for retail install.

Anyway, I read this post by Zhell regarding a different approach to partitioning the hard drive for the install and installing Chameleon on it's own partition and not in EFI or with the system. http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...entry1234

So booting in to my previous lensboard install, I partitioned my new GPT formatted 500GB HD as follows..

1GB partition, HFS+, named Chameleon

120GB partition, HFS+, named Macintosh

64GB partition, FAT, named Windows

280GB partition. HFS+, named Vault

• Then installed 10.5 from retail DVD to the Macintosh partition, followed by the 10.5.7 combo updater,.

• Next, install Chameleon v2 RC1 to the Chameleon partition.

• Add AppleDecrypt.kext, dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisbaler.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions

• Rebuild Chameleon's /Extra/extensions.mkext.

• Reboot in to new Chameleon, and select Macintosh from the boot menu.

• Boots succesfully, but no sound, shutdown, restart, sleep, no video drivers just default video.

• So, tick all three checkboxes in Preferences/Energy Saver

• Add video EFI string to com.plist.Boot.plist in /Extra

• Add OpenHaltRestart.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

• Add VoodooHDA.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions. Also add VoodooHDA pref pane.

* Then follow twr's (Reply #7) guide (only bullet points 1-4) here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,155.0.html to add dependencies for VoodooHDA to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

• Add Disabler.kext to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

• Rebuild Chameleon's /Extra/extensions.mkext.

• Add my patched SMBIOS to Chameleon's /Extra.

Reboot and job done. Fully working vanilla system. (apart from sleep)

To sum up, my Chameleon /Extra/Extensions folder contains the following..

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

Disabler.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

dsmos.kext

and the retail install remains untouched!

:(

Just followed this and it got me working again. Thank you for the guide. You are right, this is really the way to go. It's going to be so much nicer having a 100% vanilla install. Hoping this makes the Snow Leopard install go smoothly may be dreaming too much but I have my fingers crossed ;)

I did have one question. What did you mean by your last step:

I did not do anything with this. Can you perhaps go into a little more detail regarding what this entails? Thanks!!

10.5.7 bricked my machine. I have tried to reinstall following the guide only with the 10.5.7 combo update a dozen times and it never works. I am getting so @#%$ing pissed I can't see straight.

10.5.7 bricking can often be traced to the new AppleHDA - try removing it and see what happens...

Patrick

I ran the update...

Now my desktop wont load! :). It just shows the background with a spinning beachball. I can move the mouse. Help?

Can you boot in Verbose mode (-v) and see where it hangs?

Just followed this and it got me working again. Thank you for the guide. You are right, this is really the way to go. It's going to be so much nicer having a 100% vanilla install. Hoping this makes the Snow Leopard install go smoothly may be dreaming too much but I have my fingers crossed :)

I did have one question. What did you mean by your last step:

I did not do anything with this. Can you perhaps go into a little more detail regarding what this entails? Thanks!!

It feels good to have a system that remains completely untouched, and I now want another Apple update to test it with. :)

I am happy that I documented my lastest install attempt and it helped someone and that it worked! :)

With regard to the patched SMBIOS, it purely for aesthetics really, the system will work perfectly fine without it.

It's all about giving the system some information about your hardware so when you load system profiler it gives you correct specs. I read here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1124377

My SMBIOS.plist isn't perfect yet, but I have added my bios version, serial number, clock speed, memory speed & type. Just working on the Memory part number & serial numbers.

When I have got mine finished I will post it here.

PS. Just a thought Ankiel, does sleep work on your system?

Can you boot in Verbose mode (-v) and see where it hangs?

It feels good to have a system that remains completely untouched, and I now want another Apple update to test it with. :D

I am happy that I documented my lastest install attempt and it helped someone and that it worked! :)

With regard to the patched SMBIOS, it purely for aesthetics really, the system will work perfectly fine without it.

It's all about giving the system some information about your hardware so when you load system profiler it gives you correct specs. I read here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1124377

My SMBIOS.plist isn't perfect yet, but I have added my bios version, serial number, clock speed, memory speed & type. Just working on the Memory part number & serial numbers.

When I have got mine finished I will post it here.

PS. Just a thought Ankiel, does sleep work on your system?

Sleep isn't quite working. It goes in and out of sleep, but I never get my USB wifi adapter back. I have to reboot to have it work again.

Do you have Time Machine working? I can't get it working for anything. I've tried using the ToH kexts and a few other methods. I think my main issue is I didn't get an ethernet card so there is no default ethernet controller.

I have been studio shooting as well if you are interested in photography

Hence your user name? :D

Working in the graphic/printing industry I always say a decent photograph is what separates a quality job from a poor one.

Thanks, been lagging here. I need 2 of me...lol

Work comes first, but yes it's good to have you back. :)

Sleep isn't quite working. It goes in and out of sleep, but I never get my USB wifi adapter back. I have to reboot to have it work again.

Do you have Time Machine working? I can't get it working for anything. I've tried using the ToH kexts and a few other methods. I think my main issue is I didn't get an ethernet card so there is no default ethernet controller.

Did sleep work for you before?

I've never used time machine, but I will give it a try later.

I use the onboard Ethernet with no problems so far.

I am using BIOS F10, in case that makes a difference.

Did sleep work for you before?

I've never used time machine, but I will give it a try later.

I use the onboard Ethernet with no problems so far.

I am using BIOS F10, in case that makes a difference.

Onboard ethernet worked OOB for you? I might have to try flashing my bios and turning it on. I think if I had ethernet going it would fix a lot.

Sleep never worked for me before. I've always had this USB wifi problem.

I think my time machine problems have something to do with these UUID errors I'm getting. Can you do me a favor? Go to terminal and type grep UUID /var/log/system.log

Do you get any errors with this text:

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Thanks

Onboard ethernet worked OOB for you? I might have to try flashing my bios and turning it on. I think if I had ethernet going it would fix a lot.

Yes, it works.

Sleep never worked for me before. I've always had this USB wifi problem.

I think my time machine problems have something to do with these UUID errors I'm getting. Can you do me a favor? Go to terminal and type grep UUID /var/log/system.log

Do you get any errors with this text:

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Thanks

I turned on my Time Machine and it seemed to operate correctly, I wasn't going to wait for it to backup 114GB, but I managed to Enter Time Machine and see the interface. So I guess it's working correctly.

I typed grep UUID /var/log/system.log in the terminal and yes, I also had lots of UUID errors, but I never noticed any problems with the running system.

But I have found a fix here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,250.0.html

I downloaded the UUID.kext, edited it's info.plist as per rocksteady's guide and put it in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

This has fixed the problem.

(I have just booted back in to one of my previous installs and it too had UUID errors, and applying the UUID.kext fixes that too)

Blackosx, thanks for your 10.5.7 update guide. I was hesitant until I saw a reliable method.

I have followed your instructions installing onto a blank HD from scratch, and can confirm it works fine. The differences to your instructions are:

- Neglected your SMBIOS patch (what exactly does this do? Forgive my ignorance, can't find a definitive answer)

- I didn't bother with VoodooHDA this time - instead installing ALC888.pkg.

- I installed my 9600GT as before (9000 series v2, followed by NVdarwin) after the first boot.

Again, Sleep works fine for me.

Please note: in my haste I forgot to test Sleep at each point in the install. So it could be the 9000 drivers, NVdarwin install, gfxutil/ com.apple.boot.plist string.. Or maybe I'm totally forgetting something :D

I've no idea whether this is any use to anyone; thought I'd post it here just in case though.

Blackosx, thanks for your 10.5.7 update guide. I was hesitant until I saw a reliable method.

You're welcome, but this was a complete rebuild in an attempt to get my sleep working rather than just an update. (Shadow Sorcerer provided details updating to 10.5.7 a few posts back) ;)

But thanks for letting us know that my documented install worked for you too. It might need refining if anyone has extra hardware (like Ankiel's USB wifi adapter for example), but for my setup it worked.

I see sleep works for you again, that's good, as it worked for you before too. Thanks for helping before and sending me in your kextstat result. (I am still searching to get sleep working).

The SMBIOS patch I am making was to help System Profiler. If you look at 'Hardware' in System Profiler, do you see the correct memory speed and correct looking Serial Number? On my system it wasn't right so I am using SMBIOS.plist to help get the correct details in. I don't think it's necessary though.

I haven't tried the ALC888.pkg that you mentioned, does it successfully install to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder? and if so, maybe I will try it instead of VoodooHDA?

Do you have the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 that Ankiel mentioned earlier? and if so, did you apply the UUID.kext fix that I posted?

I've no idea whether this is any use to anyone; thought I'd post it here just in case though.

And yes your post is useful, the more information we can gather about this Mobo and our systems, the closer we can get to the optimum install.

I haven't tried the ALC888.pkg that you mentioned, does it successfully install to Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions folder? and if so, maybe I will try it instead of VoodooHDA?

Do you have the _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 that Ankiel mentioned earlier?

and if so, did you apply the UUID.kext fix that I posted?

I would imagine the ALC888 package could be installed to Chameleon, though I haven't tried. It may mean some of the kexts (maybe HDAenabler etc?) are not required anymore, but again I haven't tried removing any.

As for the UUID, I have never actually sorted that one out. Yes, I've noticed the error in Console/Terminal etc. But I always fix the obvious (like graphics, sound) and end up neglecting anything I don't use. From what I gather, is it related to Time Machine and/or built-in Ethernet? Since I don't use either, I haven't applied a fix. Is there an obvious benefit that I'm missing?

Additionally, I tried VoodooHDA last week, and with strange results. Most likely I hadn't satisfied it's dependancies (maybe installed it badly), but basically the included prefpane didn't work - though Sound prefs showed extra interfaces. After a couple of days for some reason, sound was heavily distorted (sounds like a sample rate problem), so just removed the kext and prefpane, and reinstalled ALC888 again.

I would imagine the ALC888 package could be installed to Chameleon, though I haven't tried.

I will have a look at it, but if it won't go in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions then I won't use it. I am hooked on a 100% vanilla install now and I am going to try and stick with it.

The UUID problem didn't seem to affect my system either, but if it's easy to fix then it's worth doing.

And yes, VoodooHDA does have it's issues at the moment but it's still in beta and with further refinement it will only get better.

Yes, it works.

I turned on my Time Machine and it seemed to operate correctly, I wasn't going to wait for it to backup 114GB, but I managed to Enter Time Machine and see the interface. So I guess it's working correctly.

I typed grep UUID /var/log/system.log in the terminal and yes, I also had lots of UUID errors, but I never noticed any problems with the running system.

But I have found a fix here http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,250.0.html

I downloaded the UUID.kext, edited it's info.plist as per rocksteady's guide and put it in Chameleon's /Extra/Extensions.

This has fixed the problem.

(I have just booted back in to one of my previous installs and it too had UUID errors, and applying the UUID.kext fixes that too)

Wow Thanks! I missed with that UUID problem for hours yesterday without finding that particular solution. It's been around a while so a lot of forums are filled with outdated workarounds. The only thing I'm still having trouble with is Time Machine. I still get this error:

Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found.

It's pretty common, but I'm not sure why I'm getting it if you aren't. I think our Extra/Extensions folders are pretty identical so that's a puzzler. I've done all the common fixes for this problem but haven't seen any results. I'll keep looking and let you know if I get anywhere with it.

The only thing I'm still having trouble with is Time Machine.......

I'll keep looking and let you know if I get anywhere with it.

You said you've tried all the common fixes but if you want to give details maybe someone here can help find a solution? What device are you backing up to, internal HD, external USB drive?

You said you've tried all the common fixes but if you want to give details maybe someone here can help find a solution? What device are you backing up to, internal HD, external USB drive?

I FINALLY got this working!!

Time Machine could not be configured. The built-in network interface could not be found.

For me this was caused by not having a built-in network interface in my en0 position. The reason this happened is I initially had my ethernet card on the MB turned off when I first loaded. This caused my USB wifi drive to be placed in position en0 (which is not a built-in interface). When I later turned on my ethernet it was given the en1 position.

Initially I made an edited NetworkInterfaces.plist where I switched the en values on each device and put it in my /Extra folder. This actually didn't work, so I moved the file to a plist.old so the OS could recreate it. Additionally I unplugged my USB wifi adapter and removed it from network devices in preferences. After restarting, I waited a few seconds and plugged the adapter back in.

After checking my plist file, the devices are now correct with my built in ethernet being marked as en0. Time machine now works 100%

Just ran the 10.5.7 update, all appears to be good. I will test for a few days, and update the guide, thanks gents for all the help

Nice one.

After messing around with the different packaged installs like Jas, iAtkos, iDeneb etc. it was, three months ago, with this guide that I first dipped my toes into a retail install and since then I have never looked back. So keep up the good work with your guide for others to learn from.

;)

Also.....At last....I have got sleep working on my system!

After all my tinkering, rebuilding, testing etc. the culprit is my bloody mouse :shock:

It's some cheap, unbranded, {censored} that I bought in PC World one day.

So I am going to get myself and new one. Anyone got any suggestions?, as I use an old Microsoft Intellimouse at work which I think is great, but I had to install a pref pane for it.

Also.....At last....I have got sleep working on my system!

After all my tinkering, rebuilding, testing etc. the culprit is my bloody mouse :)

Hahaha that's just hilarious!! After all that work!! Though I bet it's such a relief to have figured out, but still :) That's made my morning.

As for mice, well I personally would suggest the Logitech LS1 (mines the black+lime one) which I got off Ebuyer for about £13. But anything with a horizontal scroll wheel is SO useful - I use it to tilt-wheel across Spaces, or through open applications. In fact, my Expose hotkey is middle mouse button (to show all open windows)... You should see how crazily I flip across spaces and through open apps :) Though note: I did have to install the Logitech control panel/ pref pane in order to get side-scrolling to work.

Hahaha that's just hilarious!! After all that work!! Though I bet it's such a relief to have figured out, but still :) That's made my morning.
Yeah, I know, I had to laugh too.
As for mice, well I personally would suggest the Logitech LS1 (mines the black+lime one) which I got off Ebuyer for about £13. But anything with a horizontal scroll wheel is SO useful - I use it to tilt-wheel across Spaces, or through open applications.

I've never used a horizontal scroll wheel, if I get one of those I'll be going up in the world! :)

Thanks for the advice.