Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

I tried Lensboard's guide yesterday on my EP45-DS3L (but with a 8500GT 512 megabyte GPU), and it worked like a charm. I have never tried setting up OSX before so to get it all working in one install was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks a lot!!!!

cool

Hi.

I just got my EP45-DS3L Mobo and Ati Sapphire HD3850 graphic card. So after a successful install of kalyway 10.5.2 I get the grey screen "you need to restart..".

In bios ACHI is enabled, HEPT = 64, and during kalyway installation I've selected/deselected a kext for the graphic card. Tried many different setups.

Any idea/advice?

Hi.

I just got my EP45-DS3L Mobo and Ati Sapphire HD3850 graphic card. So after a successful install of kalyway 10.5.2 I get the grey screen "you need to restart..".

In bios ACHI is enabled, HEPT = 64, and during kalyway installation I've selected/deselected a kext for the graphic card. Tried many different setups.

Any idea/advice?

start in safe mode; post this question in kalyway forum

First of all thanks for the guide Lensboard . I have a nvidia 9800GT and for windows vista I am able to use the nvidia control panel to adjust the display to fit my screen. In 10.5.6 I can't use the nvidia control panel so how I'm I supposed to adjust the size of the display? I tried messing with the resolutions but none of them fit properly.

First of all thanks for the guide Lensboard . I have a nvidia 9800GT and for windows vista I am able to use the nvidia control panel to adjust the display to fit my screen. In 10.5.6 I can't use the nvidia control panel so how I'm I supposed to adjust the size of the display? I tried messing with the resolutions but none of them fit properly.

That card is not supported by the installer we are using. Take a look around to see if you can find a string that works for that card. I would suggest looking for a used 8800GT if you can. That is the same card that is in the MacPro.

I installed 10.5.6 Retail DVD with Boot 132 and everything is working fine. Please read the Gigabyte EP45-DS3L guide thoroughly before proceeding.

My hardware spec below:

Intel E8400

EP45-DS3

Leadtek 8800GT 512MB

1TB Hitachi SATA

Linksys WMP54GS V1.0

Everything is working beautifully. Never tried Sleep since I dont use it anyway. Updating direct from Apple Software Update is ok (Phew!). The proper sound kext for ALC889a is provided here. Don't use anything else. Total time to install is 45 mins.

I made a mistake of updating my Quicktime and had the video and mouse problem but after installing my IntelliPoint software, problems gone. Don't know if that will work for other Microsoft mouse users.

Basically, use the kext provided for this board in the guide. Don't try any other kext.

I am officially saying goodbye to Kalyway (Thanks Kaly!). Till then, have a good week ahead.

got this board to work as well. core 2 quad Q8200, 9800GT (used GTX EFI string though I could of used a GT one :(), 4GB, Pioneer SATA DVD. sleep does not work, it shuts down the computer. so instead, i moved it from the apple menu to prevent accidentally hitting it (as theres no confirmation dialog).

use this guide to remove: link

Everything is working beautifully. Never tried Sleep since I dont use it anyway. Updating direct from Apple Software Update is ok (Phew!). The proper sound kext for ALC889a is provided here. Don't use anything else. Total time to install is 45 mins.

This sound kext is not for the board named in this topic. You have a different board?

Hi lensboard and all here.

I had previously been using JaS 10.5.4 install, which is a great setup with everything working, but last night after a lot of reading I added a second HD and decided to give this a go.

I followed your instructions at the beginning of this thread and just to let you know it went perfectly. I added the shutdown fix too and it didn't shutdown first time I tried, but the second time I tried it worked. So the only thing that doesn't function is sleep.

So at last I can use Logmein (which I never got working on any previous install, Jas, iAtkos, iDeneb) and a new system which to use!!

Thanks again.

Hi lensboard and all here.

I had previously been using JaS 10.5.4 install, which is a great setup with everything working, but last night after a lot of reading I added a second HD and decided to give this a go.

I followed your instructions at the beginning of this thread and just to let you know it went perfectly. I added the shutdown fix too and it didn't shutdown first time I tried, but the second time I tried it worked. So the only thing that doesn't function is sleep.

So at last I can use Logmein (which I never got working on any previous install, Jas, iAtkos, iDeneb) and a new system which to use!!

Thanks again.

very nice, congrats

I posted the guide if you want to flash your video card to a real MacPro rom:

here is an excerpt from the main page:

Updating to Quicktime 7.6 creates mouse jitters etc in some video cards, mainly the 8800GT chipset. I fixed the 7.6 Quicktime update problem by flashing the ROM in my 8800GT video card with a real MacPro ROM. Here are the instructions, and the guide. I included the two roms that are out there, you can try both. I have two PC's with different 8800GT cards, the 3D worked on one card, and the 2D3D worked on the other. The link for the original thread is in the guide.

Hello,

I'm Timo, not new at this forum. I've hangin' around for some weeks. One of the first from holland.

But, on to the business:

Last week I bought the Gigabyte bord, was plesently surprised when I found out, I had the same Bios version. F8 and revision 1.0.

So I quickly build it in my pc and tried to install iPC 10.5.6. But that just wasn't going as it should be. It just keeps hanging at the first boot. When you finish the installation, it has to reboot, but there, it just don't want to boot. -v says a problem with mij nDNS respond or something. So I bought yesterday the exact LAN card as Lensboard.

When I did that, the fould was somewhere else I didn't understoot. So my question:

WICH distro did you used on the first install from where you install the 'real and good' OSX installation? Also tried it today with iDeneb 10.5.6, but that one does nog even ha the ICH10 chipset drivers.

I don't know it anymore. I thought it would not be that hard. I'm good with pc's. Can do pretty much anything with it, but this just drives me crazy.

My specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

6GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

ATi Radeon Saphire HD3870 512MB DDR3

WD 320GB SATA HD

Intel E2140(tomorrow Q9300)

Samsung SATA DVD drive

400watt be quiet PSU

Hello,

I'm Timo, not new at this forum. I've hangin' around for some weeks. One of the first from holland.

But, on to the business:

Last week I bought the Gigabyte bord, was plesently surprised when I found out, I had the same Bios version. F8 and revision 1.0.

So I quickly build it in my pc and tried to install iPC 10.5.6. But that just wasn't going as it should be. It just keeps hanging at the first boot. When you finish the installation, it has to reboot, but there, it just don't want to boot. -v says a problem with mij nDNS respond or something. So I bought yesterday the exact LAN card as Lensboard.

When I did that, the fould was somewhere else I didn't understoot. So my question:

WICH distro did you used on the first install from where you install the 'real and good' OSX installation? Also tried it today with iDeneb 10.5.6, but that one does nog even ha the ICH10 chipset drivers.

I don't know it anymore. I thought it would not be that hard. I'm good with pc's. Can do pretty much anything with it, but this just drives me crazy.

My specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

6GB DDR2 800MHz RAM

ATi Radeon Saphire HD3870 512MB DDR3

WD 320GB SATA HD

Intel E2140(tomorrow Q9300)

Samsung SATA DVD drive

400watt be quiet PSU

used Kalyway, and check your bios vs my photos

Hi timo

I have had successful installs from a few installs, including iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) which you mentioned. For that install I used the following kexts which should work for you... ICHx Fixed, Apple SIMBIOS DDR2 800. I don't know what you'll need for the Radeon. I wouldn't worry about getting everything to work as you only need a basic system to allow you to follow Lensboard's guide.

Good luck.

Hi timo

I have had successful installs from a few installs, including iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) which you mentioned. For that install I used the following kexts which should work for you... ICHx Fixed, Apple SIMBIOS DDR2 800. I don't know what you'll need for the Radeon. I wouldn't worry about getting everything to work as you only need a basic system to allow you to follow Lensboard's guide.

Good luck.

Thanks for pitching in, sometimes I think I am all alone in here.

I posted the guide if you want to flash your video card to a real MacPro rom:

here is an excerpt from the main page:

Updating to Quicktime 7.6 creates mouse jitters etc in some video cards, mainly the 8800GT chipset. I fixed the 7.6 Quicktime update problem by flashing the ROM in my 8800GT video card with a real MacPro ROM. Here are the instructions, and the guide. I included the two roms that are out there, you can try both. I have two PC's with different 8800GT cards, the 3D worked on one card, and the 2D3D worked on the other. The link for the original thread is in the guide.

Hi Lensboard

Thanks for the note about Quicktime 7.6, I did read your initial note regarding this and I have not updated it yet... I also use Vista / Windows 7 beta, if I flash my 8800GT with a real MacPro ROM will that affect my use with windows? Also will it give me better performance in Leopard as it feels damn quick as it is?

Thanks

Thanks for pitching in, sometimes I think I am all alone in here.

No problems, I understand :(

You and this forum have helped me learn about this, and to be honest I am still trying to get my head around all the finer details, but the least I can do is share some of my (basic) knowledge.

Thanks for the note about Quicktime 7.6, I did read your initial note regarding this and I have not updated it yet... I also use Vista / Windows 7 beta, if I flash my 8800GT with a real MacPro ROM will that affect my use with windows? Also will it give me better performance in Leopard as it feels damn quick as it is?

You will need to update to QT 7.6 for iLife 09 etc to work properly. I also ran Vista after the ROM flash, it simply detected a new card, used the same driver, rebooted, and no known issues.

Remember to make a backup of your ROM, and you can reflash for Windows if it becomes an issue. It only takes 60 seconds or so. I really do not use Vista on this machine much, but have it in place to test for issues just like this one.

I recommend using a different machine for Windows, but some of us only have one machine. :(

Read through this post for detailed info: http://www.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148843

I also posted a guide to take the mystery out. Note on cold boot, you "may" see red lines on the boot screen for a few seconds, but after that it works fine, this is normal behavior.

Also will it give me better performance in Leopard as it feels damn quick as it is?

Same, but you need to either use the workaround, or flash your video card, or you will be stuck at QT 7.5.

I am going to wait until the weekend to have a play with Quicktime 7.6.

If I get the problem, I will try to remove /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...056&st=120..

I will flash my 8800GT as the last option.

EDIT: Thanks lensboard for the detailed info on this I will read through the link you posted http://www.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148843. (I went off and looked around before looking at this).

Guys Thank you very much.

I forgot to tell that I have already exact the same BIOS settings Only my overclock setting are a little different. But that couldn't giv any problem.

I'm gonna try iDeneb Again and let you know if it will boot this time. I hope so...

Friend of mine got it the first install right. Everything worked, so I tried it, but after aprox. 15 install's still get boot problems. I never had a boot. Only kernelpanics.

Keep you updated. Thanks again!

No.. :D

Got another kernel panic. Now at "Appledecrypt: Page_transform in_blk=0x7bd000 ...."

any idea? Tried -v -x -s -f cpus=1 etc.

Have exact the same BIOS settings. How does it just don't work at my pc? Considering to just sell everything and buy a whole new pc. But what if that won't work..

Think i'm cursed....

If I would buy a new pc, what graphic card do you advise? a 8800GT cause the Mac Pro has it? and HD's? the only things I will keep is the Gigabyte motherboard, I've got it from last week, my psu and my CPU, a Q9300 wich i recieve tomorrow.

YES!!! GOT IT!

I realized that my HD's are pretty F*cked up. Because of many many the installs that I did, and never remove the data, only the adress. So with the iDeneb dvd, removed all the data on the HD. So write it with only 0's. That was the key. I now did it finnaly. There are more then enough problems as I can only boot in safe mode (-x) in normal boot I get some like artifacts, the screen looks very weird at the boot screen. Can't explain. I also can't change the resolution. Any idea? Or just install a kext for my ATi HD3870? where can I find that?