Retail DVD 10.5.6 install for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

lensboard

410 posts in this topic

Got wireless working with Edimax N card I had in my old G5 tower. Couldn't get the D-Link to work. The latest Edimax drivers didn't work, but the old 10.4/5 drivers that are linked to elsewhere in the forum did work. I'm a happy camper. :-)

Haven't tried sleep and shutdown does not work, as has been mentioned.

Cheers! John

I flashed my video card with the MacPro ROM, and the Quicktime 7.6 problem is gone!!

I was able to use software update to install Quicktime 7.6 flawlessly.

I will post a guide soon. Stay tuned. (here is the info I used: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148843 )

I have yet to test on Windows, I will let you know

Update: Both Windows XP, and Vista, detected a new card (8800GT same as before), and reinstalled the same drivers, and all appears fine after rebooting.

I flashed my video card with the MacPro ROM, and the Quicktime 7.6 problem is gone!!

I was able to use software update to install Quicktime 7.6 flawlessly.

I will post a guide soon. Stay tuned. (here is the info I used: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=148843 )

I have yet to test on Windows, I will let you know

Update: Both Windows XP, and Vista, detected the new a new card (8800GT same as before), and reinstalled the same drivers, and all appears fine after rebooting.

Is this problem only affecting the 8800GT or is the 9800GT affected just the same? Just trying to get an understanding because in reading that link, it seems like the flash makes the system think the 8800 is a 9800...or at least I saw that a few times...

Is this problem only affecting the 8800GT or is the 9800GT affected just the same? Just trying to get an understanding because in reading that link, it seems like the flash makes the system think the 8800 is a 9800...or at least I saw that a few times...

Real MacPro's have the 8800GT in them. The ROM is from a real MacPro. Read all the posts, I am unclear on what it will do to the 9800, I have the 8800GT. To answer your question, I would have to read all the posts. I would suggest posting your question there. Sorry I could not help.

:(

I happened to choose the 8800GT, when I built my hack. The primary reason I chose this card is because that's what was in the MacPro. As it turns out, I am glad I did, because now my hack's video card is the same as a real MacPro. I would recommend this card to all future builders in the near future.

I have the 9800GT in my hack and it seems to be working fine with the kext included in the installer guide that's in the installer package you put together.

Regards, John

Thanks for the post. For the record, the installer puts a string in the com.apple.Boot.plist file, it does not install a kext. :unsure:

I Found a fix for sleep mode on 10.5.6 it works 100% of the time

Click the checkbox in energy savers that says (Restart automatically after a power failure)

Install Method:

I Installed with Retail DVD

Updated to 10.5.6

Deleted (AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext)

Installed the Kexts in the attached file

Mobo: GA-EP45-DS3L Rev: 1.0 Bios: F8

Kexts.zip

Click the checkbox in energy savers that says (Restart automatically after a power failure)

Install Method:

Updated to 10.5.6

ok guys, lets test this, need second confirmation, then I will put it in the guide. I will also try it. Thanks for the post.

Where did you get this kext?

also, just so we maintain a large community, lets all track this topic (this will email you when a new post is made in this topic) to monitor replies, and new problems. If we work together, we can make this motherboard the easiest to use, and I need all the help I can get.

Install Method:

Updated to 10.5.6

Tried this fix on the same exact board, except with Bios v f9, and it DID NOT work. After installing 10.5.6 update i rebooted, installed the kexts, and rebooted once again. My system would not boot after this (apple spinning loader, eventually showing the circle with line and grey screen). R

I really appreciate everyone's hard work and suggestions about this board, and i think we are only a few steps away from 100% compatibility! I will re-install again and try a different Bios (maybe f8 like tyhnc900 used) to see if i can get sleep to work.

tyhnc900, can you send me a picture of your bios setting? Are you using s3 suspend mode? Please let me know how you got sleep to work, this is my last hurdle with this board!

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Install Method:

Updated to 10.5.6

I also was able to get sleep to work with 10.5.6. I didn't install the Kexts tyhnc900 posted, I only checked off the "Restart automatically after a power failure" box in the Energy Saver system preference. I followed lensboard's update guide verbatim - thanks for the guide.

I am using the F8 bios, and have s3 suspend mode selected.

Tried this fix on the same exact board, except with Bios v f9, and it DID NOT work. After installing 10.5.6 update i rebooted, installed the kexts, and rebooted once again. My system would not boot after this (apple spinning loader, eventually showing the circle with line and grey screen). R

I really appreciate everyone's hard work and suggestions about this board, and i think we are only a few steps away from 100% compatibility! I will re-install again and try a different Bios (maybe f8 like tyhnc900 used) to see if i can get sleep to work.

tyhnc900, can you send me a picture of your bios setting? Are you using s3 suspend mode? Please let me know how you got sleep to work, this is my last hurdle with this board!

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

good work, please post your results, so we can all learn.

hi guys, i have installed iAtkos 10.5.5 and updated to 10.5.6 via software update. My Usb ports doesnt work properly, i have attached my camera and worked fine but when i plug in a usb drive mac doesnt see it... what should i do? i checked the permissions...

edit: it works fine in windows 7 (dual-boot)

edit2: i found the solution here

hi guys, i have installed iAtkos 10.5.5 and updated to 10.5.6 via software update. My Usb ports doesnt work properly, i have attached my camera and worked fine but when i plug in a usb drive mac doesnt see it... what should i do? i checked the permissions...

edit: it works fine in windows 7 (dual-boot)

edit2: i found the solution here

Thanks for the info, however this topic is dedicated to Retail Vanilla installs, and problems that only relate to Retail installs. :angel:

I also was able to get sleep to work with 10.5.6. I didn't install the Kexts tyhnc900 posted, I only checked off the "Restart automatically after a power failure" box in the Energy Saver system preference. I followed lensboard's update guide verbatim - thanks for the guide.

I am using the F8 bios, and have s3 suspend mode selected.

I just tried this, and it appears to be 100% functioning sleep !! It doesnt work every time, sometimes you lose the mouse and keyboard, back to the drawing board.

I need more people to test to make sure, then I will add to the guide. I also have shutown solution I am trying. I will keep you posted.

Please post your results, and please track this topic, so we can all benefit.

Install Method:

Updated to 10.5.6

This caused kernel panic, anyone else did this?

hey lensboard, I'm new to this, So excuse me for probably asking you something dumb. I just picked up the netgear GA311 gigabit Ethernet Adapter and installed it and disabled the onboard one in bios. now, after booting into my retail dvd 10.5.6. and it doesn't show up or get internet connection. maybe you can school me on getting it to show up

my specs:

Gigabyte x48-DQ6

2.4 ghz core 2 quad

8 gigs of ram

Retail dvd install of 10.5.6.

hey lensboard, I'm new to this, So excuse me for probably asking you something dumb. I just picked up the netgear GA311 gigabit Ethernet Adapter and installed it and disabled the onboard one in bios. now, after booting into my retail dvd 10.5.6. and it doesn't show up or get internet connection. maybe you can school me on getting it to show up

my specs:

Gigabyte x48-DQ6

2.4 ghz core 2 quad

8 gigs of ram

Retail dvd install of 10.5.6.

the problem is getting the escd to update sometimes

remove the plug from the computer, remove the netgear, then reset cmos (touch metal screwdriver over two prongs next to the battery for one second, or remove the battery, and put the battery back in), then reboot once with out the netgear, then remove power again, reinstall card, that should clear the escd, and you should see the escd update.

you will have to set your bios to the proper settings again.

This process is sometimes necessary when the cmos gets "stuck"

I have had to do this once or twice while building several machines.

have patience, do not throw pc through the window

the problem is getting the escd to update sometimes

remove the plug from the computer, remove the netgear, then reset cmos (touch metal screwdriver over two prongs next to the battery for one second, or remove the battery, and put the battery back in), then reboot once with out the netgear, then remove power again, reinstall card, that should clear the escd, and you should see the escd update.

you will have to set your bios to the proper settings again.

This process is sometimes necessary when the cmos gets "stuck"

I have had to do this once or twice while building several machines.

have patience, do not throw pc through the window

I tried what you mentioned and still is a no go. Is there like kext i can install to get the ethernet to work?

never mind. I got it to work. I just had to go into system pref after what you told me to do.. and it's working fine. Thank you.

cool, exact same thing happened to me the other day, while I was swapping cards with my daughter

Just want to know if the info on system profile was entered by hand or automatic recognisez by osx..

tnx a lot.

(i'm going to reinstall again using your guide, actually i have a 10.5.6 retail, but sata dvd isn't recognised, and system don't mount dmg (no kernel panic, only silent error) )

buha :|

hope to have more luck with your guide :D