Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...

Today I tried to get into macOSX but... after some wins, I eventually get stuck at a really earlier point:

During installation, after the "print y to continue" I get this panic... [see the attachment]

I tried appending -x, -legacy...

Obviously I've a P6T Deluxe, a i7 920, 3x2gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator @1866 (running @1066mhz) and a Asus GTX260... but the problem is that I made some errors, but I don't understand what I've done wrong!

Help me! Thanks in advance

PS: Sorry for my non-perfect english, is quite acceptable, but I'm Italian. ! Byez and thanks in advance.

PPS: I've read it may be caused from my DVD: it's a MacBook disk. Could really be this? I just wanna boot!!

post-423470-1242084747_thumb.jpg

I am planning to get a new system Sometime next week. And i need some expert advice on the distro to choose and few suggestions on the Graphics card i should opt for,

The Config i will be going for is:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

MotherBoard: Intel DX58SO

Ram: 1x2Gb DDR3 1333 ( will fill the other 2 slots once price drops)

HDD: 1TB SATA, 80GB SATA

Graphics: Palit ATI 4850 512MB or Palit GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB or Palit GTS 250 512MB

My concerns and query are:

1) Which OSX86 Distro should i use? (iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6 or iAtkos 5i)

2) Which Graphics Card should i go for? (best compatibility, any other Card advised)

3) Can i Install OSX86 and Windows XP on seperate HardDisk?

4) While Installing OSX86 which options should i check and uncheck?

I shall be highly grateful for providing me with any sugesstions and tips on my queries.

Thanks a lot in Advance.

Hey guys, I've recently taken it upon myself to build a hackintosh system, never built a PC before so the learning curve was massive to say the least. Anyway, I've managed to install iAtkos 5i onto a separate HDD on my system (the other has a windows 7 installation) following this guide...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2571&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Specs:

Mobo: Intel DX58SO

CPU: Core i7 920 2.67ghz

Memory: 6GB ocz gold

Graphics: BFG nVidia 9800GTX+

HDD 1 (windows): Seagate 500GB

HDD 2 (OSX): WD 650GB

To help you, here is how I customized my install based on the guide:

Main System

Chameleon Boot Loader (uncheck PC EFI V9)

Apple Decrypt

DSMos

SMBIOS-EFI

SMBIOS-Enabler

AppleSMBIOS-28

9.5.0 FASSL Kernel

X86 ACPI

DISABLER.KEXT

Graphics Update

Nvidia>Natit (not the other Natit higher up on the drivers tree)

Intel SATA

Intel AHCI Sata

NTFS-3G

Intel-Pro100VE

So....

It's working almost perfectly apart from:

The sleep function. When I force the computer to sleep either by selecting it in the apple menu or pressing the power button, the monitor goes into standby, my USB devices loose power (no light on the mouse), and I am unable to wake the system up again.

If I allow the system to sleep by itself, the monitor turns off and the computer never sleeps, although I am able to regain control of the system if I move the mouse within 10 or so minutes. Beyond that, the USB devices loose power again and I am forced to reboot

Going into the BIOS and switching the idle state from S3 (default) to S1 allows me to wake up the system, but the fans stay on which defeats the object of putting the comp to sleep :whistle:

Graphics:

The system loads up fine in the native res of my screen, but if the system changes resolution (switching manually or launching a full screen game) the screen goes black for a few moments and comes back with blue screen. The system is still running fine, I can hit the volume keys and hear the 'pop' indicating the computer is still responding, but I have no video. Sometimes when this happens, my monitor displays snow before going back to the blue screen.

Does anybody have any ideas or solutions for these issues, particularly the graphics one, perhaps suggest an alternate graphics kext? My card is a BFG nVidia 9800GTX+

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers, icon_biggrin.gif

Joe

Hello to all of you

I'm going to built up my first hackintosh and I'm wondering if the new intel core i7 920 D0 "do stepping" can cause me some problems or not. I'll probably going to use a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.

What do you think ?

thank you for all this good work

Gigabyte certified the new Core i7 920 DO stepping CPU support with F5 bios update !

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...=2958#anchor_os

Further bios updates are here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

I have F6 bios and iPC OSX10.5.6 disitro install (scratch disk) and a second retail DVD method OSX 10.5.6, voodoo 9.6.0 kernel with the Digital_Dreamer script and it's working now for 4 months very well. (look to my signature)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

Now 10.5.7 is out, support for all devices out of the box and system profil update is only a matter of days !

:)

hi i have read a lot of the forum to get some info on the jetway BI-600 mouther board

http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/motherboard_vi...;proname=BI-600

it should be the same as the intel p6t?

but i have tried allot of things still cannot get it to work?

info

Jetway BI-600 mouther board

6 gig ram

NVida 8600 gts graphics 512 card

1 terabyte Hard drive

Intel® Core i7 Processor i920 2.4

install with ipc

Voodoo 9.5

Realtek 8111 (1000) network card

i have set all drives to AHCI as suggested by other and used busratio=20 and cpus=1.

the busratio=20 and cpus=1 got things install going.

but i think there is something going wrong with the network saying something about logon id?

i have set the network drive to Realtek 8111 (1000)

and the it freezes when loading with -v -x at the point were it says:

Local host mDNA responder (25) couldn't read user specified local host name; using default bdevise-00381a3a659.localb instead

after his it frizzes ?

any one have any suggestions please :-)

Hello all,

I am having a lot of issues getting osx to run on my EVGA X58 SLI motherboard w/ IDE DVD Drive.

I am using iATKOS v5i and it loads up just fine, I get to format my partition, select it, customize options (Even though I don't know which) and about a quarter through the install it prompts me to restart the computer.

After I do, I just get this error:

system config file '/com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.pllist' not found

I have no clue what to do. I've read some of the posts on getting the installation up but I'm still unclear on the process. Could you please help me?

Thank you,

Vladimir

Any 10.5.7 official update experiences? :(
Here's one: Works like a charm :D

Removed almost all kexts from efi partition, updated both LAN and Audio kexts, whole thing runs smoothly on vanilla kernel now.

Just one question to all i7 users:

I've noticed considerable benching differences between Vanilla (be it 9.6.3, 9.7.0 prerelease or 9.7.0) and Voodoo (original 9.5.0).

CineBench give results up to 3300 on singlethreaded and 14500 in multithreaded runs on Voodoo, while Vanilla doesn't go much higher than 2500 and 10500 respectively. These are quite substantial differences. Is Apple's kernel that much restraining when it comes to potential?

Also, the 32bits windows variant gives approximately the same results as the Voodoo kernel, while the 64bits version even goes up to 4200 and 16500 respectively. I understand the latter ones might be based on slightly different code, but still.. :)

Greetins,

AiBear

Hello all,

I am having a lot of issues getting osx to run on my EVGA X58 SLI motherboard w/ IDE DVD Drive.

I am using iATKOS v5i and it loads up just fine, I get to format my partition, select it, customize options (Even though I don't know which) and about a quarter through the install it prompts me to restart the computer.

system config file '/com.apple.boot.s/library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.boot.pllist' not found

I have no clue what to do. I've read some of the posts on getting the installation up but I'm still unclear on the process. Could you please help me?

Thank you,

Vladimir

I have the same mobo and i have a pioneer 112d on IDE installed and it works fine. Use the ideneb distro

Hello all,

Thank you,

Vladimir

Back with some updates, still need help:

I bought a SATA DVD drive, install seems to complete fine with KalyWay disk. When I try to boot, I see the gray screen with an apple on it and the spinning loading wheel and after a few minutes it stops spinning and halts. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Gigabyte certified the new Core i7 920 DO stepping CPU support with F5 bios update !

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...=2958#anchor_os

Further bios updates are here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

I have F6 bios and iPC OSX10.5.6 disitro install (scratch disk) and a second retail DVD method OSX 10.5.6, voodoo 9.6.0 kernel with the Digital_Dreamer script and it's working now for 4 months very well. (look to my signature)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

Now 10.5.7 is out, support for all devices out of the box and system profil update is only a matter of days !

:)

Thank you AROBASEFR,

this is a good news for me.

Now I sow a new motherboard is out, Dual 1366, the Supermicro X8DAL-i.

That's can meaning we can build a dual i7 ?

Here's one: Works like a charm :)

Removed almost all kexts from efi partition, updated both LAN and Audio kexts, whole thing runs smoothly on vanilla kernel now.

I've noticed considerable benching differences between Vanilla (be it 9.6.3, 9.7.0 prerelease or 9.7.0) and Voodoo (original 9.5.0).

CineBench give results up to 3300 on singlethreaded and 14500 in multithreaded runs on Voodoo, while Vanilla doesn't go much higher than 2500 and 10500 respectively. These are quite substantial differences. Is Apple's kernel that much restraining when it comes to potential?

Also, the 32bits windows variant gives approximately the same results as the Voodoo kernel, while the 64bits version even goes up to 4200 and 16500 respectively. I understand the latter ones might be based on slightly different code, but still.. :(

Greetins,

AiBear

AiBear, same here!

also, system clocks hurrying up dramatically

is busratio a valid flag for vanilla kernel? cause it does not solve clocks issue

went back to Vodoo and now i have panic on DMG mounting, although i have 10.5.5 seatbelt on efi and 9.5.0 kernel

AiBear, same here!

also, system clocks hurrying up dramatically

is busratio a valid flag for vanilla kernel? cause it does not solve clocks issue

went back to Vodoo and now i have panic on DMG mounting, although i have 10.5.5 seatbelt on efi and 9.5.0 kernel

Yeah, if you're using the older bootloaders (anything prior to Chameleon 2), the system clock isn't reported correctly in the vanilla kernels, causing a GUI speedup. Since benchmarking is timed, this will also "lower" your bench results.

So, only use the vanilla kernels when booted from Chameleon 2.0 RC1

regards,

MAJ

digital_dreamer, thanks for suggestion

Chameleon fixed the issue

hm, however another issue

DDR2 667 instead of DDR3 1066

not sure i want to add SMBIOS to /Extra/Extensions ...

also, sleep works just well

but ... :)

reboot works only before sleep

Hi everyone,

Great news for those who want to upgrade to 10.5.7 and have a 4850 graphics card.

Today i downloaded the 10.5.7 upgrade, chameleon 2.0 bootloader, and the 9.7.0 voodoo kernel.

Then reinstalled mac then installed the chameleon bootloader and the new kernel restarted. Then i installed the upgrade and when it restarted it would not go past the apple logo, so i booted with -f -v and in safe mode i reinstalled the kernel (i dont know if this is nessasary) i then installed all the kexts for my motherboard and i did a permisions repair. then restarted and everything worked, amazing my graphics worked it set it to the highest res and i never installed the graphics card so obviously 10.5.7 has the drivers for it. Also i can change resolutions fine as well:) :rolleyes: so im quite happy now 10.7.7 and 9.7.0 kernel and working graphics good times :)

oh yeah and also under about this mac it says ddr 2 667 instead of ddr3 1333 but otherwise im really happy.

Yeah, if you're using the older bootloaders (anything prior to Chameleon 2), the system clock isn't reported correctly in the vanilla kernels, causing a GUI speedup. Since benchmarking is timed, this will also "lower" your bench results.

regards,

MAJ

so do we have parallels / vmware now working with vanilla kernel and i7 mobo combos???

digi, will you be updating your tutorial for 10.5.7?

D

Hi everyone,

Great news for those who want to upgrade to 10.5.7 and have a 4850 graphics card.

Today i downloaded the 10.5.7 upgrade, chameleon 2.0 bootloader, and the 9.7.0 voodoo kernel.

Hello Warren1240,

Could you tell me where did you get the 9.7.0 voodoo kernel from ?

After update to 10.5.7 on my EX58-UD5 (Chameleon 1.0.12 3.5+script D_D) sound isn't working well (stuttering) and LAN had some problems also and no sleep.

I succeeded to change CPU information with OSXTools.

Thanks

so do we have parallels / vmware now working with vanilla kernel and i7 mobo combos???

digi, will you be updating your tutorial for 10.5.7?

D

Yep, everything's working fine in 10.5.7, including VMware Fusion

There isn't much to do in preparation for 10.5.7 - just omitting some kexts and leaving out the kernels and System.kexts.

The tutorial is all updated for 10.5.7, with a new script.

Some news I've found regarding the MacPro4,1 identifier:

Using this identifier is only a problem for those who do NOT have a Core i7 system. Because Apple Software Update may download software specifically compiled for the Core i7 on a MacPro4,1 system, users of older CPUs will clearly experience instability or KPs. So, all of us here shouldn't need to worry about this issue. Continue using this identifier.

UPDATE: 5/16/2009

• • Script version 3.6 is released.
  • • Script includes option to install individual kexts into S/L/E, instead of /Extra/Stored_Kexts. Script keeps track of what's installed into S/L/E and, with a simple selection, they can be restored back to /Extra.
  • • You have the option to include a "_For_System" folder inside /Extra/Stored_Kexts. This folder offers the following features:

• Any kexts dragged into this folder will get installed into
    S/L/E
    via "
    Update boot caches
    " script routine. Script will also use this folder if it's present for the "
    Kext/kernel installer
    " routine.

• Kexts removed from this folder or transfered to
    /Extra
    will be deleted from
    S/L/E
    after the "
    Update boot caches
    " script routine.

• For the curious and concerned, original kexts with equivalent names in S/L/E are not replaced, but renamed with ".original" tacked on the filename. Other installed kexts get a duplicate file with ".duplicate" added to filename for script to keep track of.

• • The "_to_install" folders have been removed from the Kexts directory to help clean it up. Kexts simply need to be outside their "_repository" folders.
  • • Natit.kext updated
  • • VoodooHDA v0.2.2 audio kext and prefPane are included for those who wish to use it. This is an Open Source audio driver for our boards.
  • • Reworked the DSDT routine. Hopefully, the patch will enable all cores without any additional modifications on ASUS and similar boards.

Many have been needing to install kexts into S/L/E, so I thought this would be handy. This was a major undertaking and required me to create a specific set of rules and checks. But, in the end, I think some will find it so easy to use - just drag and drop into /Extra/Stored_Kexts or /Extra/Stored_Kexts/_For_System, then "update" and reboot.

Note that the "_For_System" folder is not created by the script (it works fine without it) - you must create it. However, if you create this folder inside Stored_Kexts, then the script will use it and you can drag and drop there for S/L/E installs. Without this folder, you can still install into S/L/E from within the script.

Just to clarify:

When you use the "Kext/Kernel installer", you are installing from the script's folders. Use this for your initial install or if you need to do a "clean" reinstall.

After that initial install, you can make whatever changes you'd like to the Stored_Kexts (and /_For_System, if included) folder, whether from within the script or outside via drag and drop. To make those changes reflected in the boot, run "Update boot caches". Unlike the "Kext/Kernel installer," these kexts are "installed" via "Update boot caches" from the /Stored_Kexts folders. Once you play with this setup, you'll see how it works.

EDIT: This is not different from the process you've already been using. The only difference is the ability to install into S/L/E (inside or outside the script), addition of the "_For_System" folder, and drag and drop capability.

If you have any questions, let me know.

regards,

MAJ

Here's one: Works like a charm :)

Also, the 32bits windows variant gives approximately the same results as the Voodoo kernel, while the 64bits version even goes up to 4200 and 16500 respectively. I understand the latter ones might be based on slightly different code, but still.. :blink:

Greetins,

AiBear

Voodoo 9.7.0 outperform vanilla?...

digital_dreamer, thanks for suggestion

Chameleon fixed the issue

hm, however another issue

DDR2 667 instead of DDR3 1066

not sure i want to add SMBIOS to /Extra/Extensions ...

also, sleep works just well

but ... ;)

reboot works only before sleep

Are you running a EVGA X58 Mobo, if so how did you get sleep to work? what do you have set in your BIOS

Mine does not wake up after sleeping

If you have any questions, let me know.

regards,

MAJ

Rebuilt my system using the UD4P board, and can confirm that all UD5 kexts work perfectly.

xbench is now reporting 248

geekbench relatively unchanged at 9996

OC'd processor to only 3.2GHz.

D

Voodoo 9.7.0 outperform vanilla?...
This point has been 'solved'... It seems Vanilla 9.7.0 on Munky's EFI v6 has trouble with the internal clock. It goes at almost exactly 4:3 ratio, which also had the effect of lowering the benchmarks by 25%. Word around town is Chameleon RC solves this, but I haven't tried this yet (as I've had a slight accident a few days ago...).

That, and I haven't tried either AvD's Voodoo based kernels, which I presume you refer to by mentioning Voodoo 9.7.0, as I haven't yet seen any new release after 9.5.0 from the official staff. If you could post a link to this kernel, I'll do my best to test it over the next week ^_^

First of all, thanks to DD =)

Script 3.6 worked fine on my system (in my signature). Installed on a separate drive, using my current iPC 10.5.6 installation.

Removed some files in script - (removed voodoo kernel, and system kext), also added my own kexts (IONetworkingFamily, RealtekR1000, UUID and kx) also removed unnecessary gfx kexts.. added my previous 10.5.6 boot.plist with dual gfx strings.

Installed retail 10.5 dvd, then ran 10.5.7 combo update. Had to remove AppleTyMCEDriver once done.

No problems with DSDT either.

Pretty happy.