Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have got iATKOS_5i working and audio working and im going to buy a wi fi card that will work on it, but there is still a major problem and that is my graphics card still does not work ;) And apparently i need 10.5.6 to get it to work so how can i upgrade iATKOS_5i without the net? I have downloaded an upgrade package from apple on windows then i put it on a flash card installed it and restart and then it keeps restarting at boot and ive tried busratio=20 and -f and cpus=1 and i set my bois to 1 cpu and no hyperthreading but it still wont work. So how can i get 10.5.6?

Thanks

Warren

Warren if you have two harddrives your best bet is now that you have a system that "works/boots" run Digital dreamsers scipt for the second HD which will install a retail copy on the second one with all the kexts you need and even does the EFI stuff. In that same script there is a kext for the 48XX ATI card. (dont know how well it works as I dont have one to try with)

Hi again airwalk776,

thanks for the help but unfortunately that one whent straight over my head. Im still a bit new to all this, how would i go about doing what you said and what will i need?

Thanks again,

Warren

Hi everyone,

I have got iATKOS_5i working and audio working and im going to buy a wi fi card that will work on it, but there is still a major problem and that is my graphics card still does not work :D And apparently i need 10.5.6 to get it to work so how can i upgrade iATKOS_5i without the net? I have downloaded an upgrade package from apple on windows then i put it on a flash card installed it and restart and then it keeps restarting at boot and ive tried busratio=20 and -f and cpus=1 and i set my bois to 1 cpu and no hyperthreading but it still wont work. So how can i get 10.5.6?

Thanks

Warren

If you upgraded your iATKOS_5i install by installing 10.5.6 on top of that, then that install is b0rked. How do you think the iATOKOS install works?

You can install iATOKOS again and leave it alone, or do a Retail install following one of the tutorials.

regards,

MAJ

Well, regarding the 4870: This pc is not intended for OSX, and therefore I won´t buy an other graphics card. The fact that ATi´s drivers already is incorporating OpenCL-support should be promising enough...

While I find OSX to be a good alternative to Windows Vista on mobile platforms (I own both iPhone and Powerbook G4 12-inch), I am not sure on the desktop platform. I find the features I like with OSX to be too buggy for serious work. Example: Exposé/Spaces combined with Microsoft Office 2004/2008, Macromedia Fireworks 8 and so on. I need to be able to do my work without having to wrestle with my computer to have it to stay in the workspace I´m using OR spending multiple hours trying to fix errors Apple should have fixed a long time ago. Using the same amount of money on a card that performs worse in games now, and will perform worse in OpenCL later on (4870 has 1,2TFLOPS computing power...), just isn´t an option for a student like me. I´d like to have full OSX support, but then again: Only if it doesn´t come with too big sacrifices, and if I can´t cope with Vista/Win7 in the event the 4870 never gets drivers, I´ll just head out and pick up a HD2600PRO for $25... However, I really like much of the stuff OSX brings to the table, just so we are clear. I wouldn´t be spending time on Insanelymac if not, would I?

Anyway: This is not the discussion now, we want to find out whether or not EX58/i7 runs OSX properly, don´t we?

I am going to run Vista 64-bit on it for now, but I could try installing OSX for kicks, QE/CI is only limited by the graphics card, right?

Well guys, if someone is up to guide me, I'll try when I get my new rig assembled

here is a link to a nice i7 thread :http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

and here is a link with some info on the 4870 series graphics card. There is much info in that i7 thread it took me a week to read it :(

Do you know if the 4870 would be open CL compatible?

Also is the 4870 ATI or Radeon or are they all the same? I looked on newegg and they had a 4870 saphire, HIS, toxic, asus? Which is which?

Hi yet again everyone,

Well i now have iPC_OSx86_10.5.6_AMD_Intel_PPF2 installed and apparently i should be able to get my graphics card working so ill work on doing that.

In the mean time i have not managed to get my wi fi working, so does anyone know of a pci or pci-e wi-fi card that will work on 10.5.6 without any problems as i have messed around with this for ages i just want to get my graphics working and get a wi fi card plug it in and have it working easily.

Finaly once i have got my graphics and internet working, will things like iWork ’09 and iLife ’09 work on this version that i have now?

And once again thanks for the help everyone :whistle:

Warren

Well just a quick update, i have got my graphics card working with no problems now and running at 1680x1050 :):D:(

Now just need the internet then im done also still waiting for ans for my previous post.

Thanks

Warren

Hi yet again everyone,

Well i now have iPC_OSx86_10.5.6_AMD_Intel_PPF2 installed and apparently i should be able to get my graphics card working so ill work on doing that.

In the mean time i have not managed to get my wi fi working, so does anyone know of a pci or pci-e wi-fi card that will work on 10.5.6 without any problems as i have messed around with this for ages i just want to get my graphics working and get a wi fi card plug it in and have it working easily.

Finaly once i have got my graphics and internet working, will things like iWork '09 and iLife '09 work on this version that i have now?

And once again thanks for the help everyone :)

Warren

I have no problems with iWork'09 neither with iLife'09 !

For your Wifi PCI card you could chose a Ralink chip compatible card while there are drivers for OSX

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

Good luck

:wacko:

Hey Guys, I am doing a retail install on my asus p6t deluxe mobo... everything goes fine, except this two lines:

extension org.tgwbd.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort is not loadable

Can't determine dependencies for org.tgwbd.driver.LegacyAppleAHCIPort.

AND then I just freezes somewhere after a min... sometimes I work hard and get further but usually.. its the main welcome to os x install screen or disk utility like this :

116kmjs.jpg

Anyone have any ideas why the install would load then freeze off like that after a minute or so... ? as it doesnt matter which part of the install os X, I am just freezes after a min... Ive left it there for hours with no response, any ideas?

@ AROBASEFR

Thanks for the reply what do you think of this:

http://www.onlyformac.co.uk/epages/es10926...mp;Locale=en_GB

or this:

http://www.onlyformac.co.uk/epages/es10926...Mac%20OS%20X%22

thanks,

Warren

Looks like these products are from JCG JWL-N531R ( 3 antennas)

and JWL-N521R ( 3 antennas) PCI cards officially only for Windows ! But that's frequent !

When you look for Ralink Wifi products on the net they almost always don't mention Mac OSX support ! :P

Take also a look at this compatibilty list:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...10.5.6#Wireless

It should help you to make your choice !

;)

I posted a while ago, basically i want to build a core i7 build using mATX DFI Lan party X58 Mobo. I have read some where that some one used this for their hackintosh using Digital-dreamers build. If any of the experts out there can give some comments on this build and let me know wether there are any red lights before i order my parts. This is going to be overclocked to maybe 3.5Ghz in a small Thermaltake Lanbox!! That's gotta be a pretty good build right? The PSU has to be taken out and the fan direction has to be reversed so that it is blowing down to the MOBO so that i won't fight the air flow of the heatsink fan. I'm using a Modular PSU so wiring will be a little easier in this small Box. The wireless card according to this forum works OOB.I also want to ask which is the easiest high performance graphic card to install gfore 9600 gt or ati 3870? any other suggestions? I plan to install using bootloader 132 method. here are the parts.

CASE:Thermaltake Lanbox

CPU:Intel Core i7 Nehalem 2.66Ghz

MOBO:Dfi Lanparty Jr x58-t3h6 lga 1366 mATX

RAM:2xCorsair XMS3 (3x2Gb) 240 Pin ddr3 sdram

HeatSInk:Thermaltake Axp 140

HeatSinkFan:Aerocool Silver Lightning 140mm Silent Fan

PSU:ENERMAX INFINITY EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V

ThermalCompound:Artic Silver Thermal Compound

LCD Touchscreen embedded:Thermaltake A2413 Lcd Monitor 7 Inch

HD:2XSeagate Baracuda 7200Rpm 32Mb Cache 3Gb/s 1TB SATA

Wireless:Asus WL-138g V2 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI

GFXMSI RX3870X2-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

PLs Let me know for better suggestions if any. For musicians out there, with the embedded touch screen and the handle bar on the CPU u wouldn't need to bring a monitor. Actually i have figured out a way to use my iphone as a screen for the computer and u can change ur keyboard patches with ur iphone touchscreen while on a live gig!! email or pm me if you want more info about that. I know sound card doesn't work but i plan to use a external firewire apogee duet sound card for live gigs and RME fireface 400 for studio work at home. Total cost for this build came up to $1672. Same specs on Apple store for a mac pro is $5-6k!!! Also let me know wether 720 watts will be enough. thanks

"Just adding to the list of mobo's, I used digital_dreamer's boot-132 method and it works great on my DFI Lanparty Jr. x58-T3H6 micro-ATX motherboard. I simply did not install the Realtek driver as the Marvell gig-e works out of the box."

I'm still working on sound ALC889 versus ALC889a (as always), but other than that everything else seems good. VMware is running fine on us DD's method. Although i'm only running winXP virtual machines.

I want to build hackintosh with this mobo. What is this DD's method? can somebody point me in the direction? any other comments on this mATX for hackintosh? issit hard to do it? here is my setup i''m planning to buy

CASE:Thermaltake Lanbox

CPU:Intel Core i7 Nehalem 2.66Ghz

MOBO:Dfi Lanparty Jr x58-t3h6 lga 1366 mATX

RAM:2xCorsair XMS3 (3x2Gb) 240 Pin ddr3 sdram

HeatSInk:Thermaltake Axp 140

HeatSinkFan:Aerocool Silver Lightning 140mm Silent Fan

PSU:ENERMAX INFINITY EIN720AWT 720W ATX12V

ThermalCompound:Artic Silver Thermal Compound

LCD Touchscreen embedded:Thermaltake A2413 Lcd Monitor 7 Inch

HD:2XSeagate Baracuda 7200Rpm 32Mb Cache 3Gb/s 1TB SATA

Wireless:Asus WL-138g V2 IEEE 802.11b/g PCI

GFXMSI RX3870X2-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

PLs Let me know for better suggestions if any. For musicians out there, with the embedded touch screen and the handle bar on the CPU u wouldn't need to bring a monitor. Actually i have figured out a way to use my iphone as a screen for the computer and u can change ur keyboard patches with ur iphone touchscreen while on a live gig!! email or pm me if you want more info about that. I know sound card doesn't work but i plan to use a external firewire apogee duet sound card for live gigs and RME fireface 400 for studio work at home. Total cost for this build came up to $1672. Same specs on Apple store for a mac pro is $5-6k!!! Also let me know wether 720 watts will be enough. thanks

Hey guys, been reading up on this for a while and got kalyway 10.5.2 up and running. Everything seems to check out ( I have a gtx 260 so i cant use that just yet.)

My main question is if anyone has a set of kexts i can use for my motherboard (EVGA X58) for audio?

I also have a sound blaster audigy se pci card, is that compatible with osx86?

Hey guys, been reading up on this for a while and got kalyway 10.5.2 up and running. Everything seems to check out ( I have a gtx 260 so i cant use that just yet.)

My main question is if anyone has a set of kexts i can use for my motherboard (EVGA X58) for audio?

I also have a sound blaster audigy se pci card, is that compatible with osx86?

Here try this found it in a post about fixing 889 sound someone made changes for evga sound to work

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?k2gyeudo3nm

installed the kexts with kext helper.

They do show up in the system profilier now.

but in system prefrences for sound there are no input and output devices.

Take a look at my post # 997 in this thread.

Link; http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1124851

I have a EVGA x58 SLI Motherboard with appleHDA working.

Give it a shot an let me know how it works for you.

BTW.. this is for the onboard ALC889A sound dont know about you SB card.

The Hawks posted the same link, which are the kexts that i installed, they show up in the system profilier but dont show as input and output for the sound in system prefs.

That means you might have some other audio kext in the extension folder remove alcinject or any other audio kexts you have. and also make sure the hdaenabler is there

so youre saying remove all of my audio kexts, then install the two he gave me in that package?

Yes do what airwalk said to do ... I should of told you to remove the audio kexts before you installed should work after you do that

Anyone care to point out the mistakes I've made with my proposed build here?

GA-EX58-UD5 (Chosen primarily because the overwhelming number of guides and success stories revolve around it. Secondarily because of the number of ram slots.)

Core i7 920

Cooler Master V8 (I'll overclock a bit. Maybe there's a better fan+heatsink, or at least cheaper, but I'm unaware of any.)

G.Skill 6GB 3x2GB 9-9-9-24 12800 (The 920, from what I've read, limits ram to 10666. What I don't know is whether overclocking, or a cpu upgrade, would necessitate or enable something faster. 12800 may be completely redundant. Or, conversely, it may ultimately be somewhat less than ideal. This is a big unknown for me.)

LG Black 22X (CAV) 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe (Chosen only because this particular LG Black SATA drive is mentioned several times in various builds. But since burner enthusiast forums largely peg Pioneer as the best, I have to wonder if there's a particular reason why I ought not to go with Pioneer here.)

Sapphire HD4870 512MB (Apparently, support for this has been added as of a month ago. Anyone confirm success with this card? Specifically on this mobo?)

Antec True550 550W PSU (As far as I know, this is still a good PSU. What I don't know is if it'll be enough to handle my proposed build here. Or if there are other reasons why I might not want to use it.)

That's about it. I'm hours away from clicking "buy", so if anyone cares to help, I'd appreciate it. ;p

Hello everyone

ANyone with a netflix account that is able to stream video from "watch now?"

Getting a DRM error 8151 found some topics stating its related to the IONetworkingFamily.kext. Attempted to use the one that was posted but Netflix still now worrky.