Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Hello.

Thanks go out to those who posted here on InsanelyMac. Without your information, this would not be possible.

I have installed Leo 10.5.6 on the following hardware:

Intel DX58SO Extreme Motherboard

Intel Core i7 2.66GHz

6GB OCZ 1600MHz DDR3 TriChannel Memory

150GB WD VelociRaptor SATA

HP SATA DVD

Saffire HD 4870 512MB PCIe

Used iATKOS 5i, Voodoo 9.5, no video selection. Reboot with busratio= -f (my busratio is 22).

Installed INTEL82566MM.kext for onboard Ethernet.

Installed MacOS/X 10.5.6 update via .dmg. Replaced updated seatbelt.kext with 9.5 version.

Installed MacOS_10.5.6_radeon_hd_48x0.pkg for video support.

Ran Software Update and installed all updates.

Did not try to fix onboard audio (maybe work on it later). Using firewire attached Presonus FireBox with no problems.

Only one monitor can be attached to the Dual DVI ports on the 4870, or the system will hang after the desktop appears (when the other desktop is 'drawn').

Memory shows correctly in System Profiler (6GB 1600Mhz).

Shows 1 CPU with 7 cores?

Xbench of 198.6.

Thanks again.

ptd

Hello.

Thanks go out to those who posted here on InsanelyMac. Without your information, this would not be possible.

Shows 1 CPU with 7 cores?

Xbench of 198.6.

Thanks again.

ptd

Hello, i thought my signature was visible ??

My i920 only shows 4 cores...

Thank you

--------------------

MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3600 | RAM: 3X2GB OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK | GPU: Gigabyte 9600GT GV-NX96T512HP (CI/QE) | SOUND: ALC889A | NET: Realtek 8111D | SATA: 2x SAMSUNG F1 1TB | KEYBOARD+MOUSE: APPLE

--------------------

METHOD: BOOT 123 Installer from UD5 topic (retail leo+MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.6)

Your

hey has anyone read their temps on the i7 yet? I am oc'd @ 3.0ghz and have idle temps of 45C on each core. I am using the hardware monitor from http://www.bresink.com/osx/

updated to the 9.6 kernel and everything seems to be going well.

Quick question to wolfie or digital, can I delete the smbios from the extensions folder for the efi loader? I remember you saying they weren't needed.

I'm running a coller master V8 on a i7 920 on evga x58 MB over clocked to 4.0 ghz running at idle temp of 25 degree C.

what kind of cooler do you have ?

Sweet, me and you are in the same boat! Got my system up and running perfectly, i'm using an audio adapter too lol. Havent dived into audio yet. Everything works great. I believe my virtualization is on.

Hello Guys

I have the same setup EVGA x58 MB, and evga 9800 GTX+. I havnt been able to get sound working any luck from your side other then the usb audio solution ?

thanks

Hi JaE-V, please advice...!

I'm using the default bios since I got the EVGA board.

I actually don't know what the version I'm using at this moment. :angel:

Do you know how to check what the version of the bios is?

Also, would it be OK to update the bios with the latest one from EVGA web?

Would this hurt my Hackintosh settings?

The reason I'm asking you is that I had so much troubles with the bios of GA EX58-UD5.

All the OS system correctly installed using perfectly, but the board hangs at "Verifying DMI pool..." sometimes with AHCI on. And it was really hard to get into the correct mode. Sometime it did, sometimes it didn't. That's why I moved to EVGA X58.

Ever since I used this EVGA X58, I don't have any issue with AHCI setting.

It's really smooth.

But one thing I was wondering is that its capability of overclocking.

I think my EVGA board is not doing well in overclock.

I can just follow some of 4.2 overclock guide but it fails at Prime test with temp going up.

Right now, I'm using with Dummy OC at 3.2 which is OK, but I think this board has a lot more capability.

I even bought a second i7 920.

So, I start thinking updating the newest bios but I just want to find if everything is OK with my intention.

If you can give some advice, that will be very thankful.

Thanks again

JP

My system spec:

i920

EVGA EX58 SLI

OCZ DDR3 1600mhz 2g x 3

HD3870

X-fi 5.1 Surround USB sound

Here are my numbers : I can acutall go higher then 187 but I see that the performance is better at 187.

With this setup and a coolermaster V8 my CPU temp at idle is 23-25 degree and load is 45-50 degree

CPU VCore ( 1.3 )

CPU VTT Voltage ( +200mV )

CPU PLL VCore ( Auto )

DIMM Voltage ( 1.6V )

DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )

QPI PLL VCore ( 1.35V )

IOH VCore ( 1.175V )

IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.525 )

ICH VCore ( 1.175V )

PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature

Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )

Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )

CxE Function ( Disabled )

Execute Disable Bit ( Disabled )

Virtualization Technology ( Enabled )

Logical Processor Setting

Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )

Active Processor Cores ( All )

QPI Settings

QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )

QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )

QPI Frequency Selection ( 4800GT/s )

20x and 187 clock

I had it at 200x18, with the CPU voltage at 1.475 (I think? Maybe a step lower.), RAM set to 2:8, API at double that, so the RAM ends up at 1600MHz (200 bclck * 8). Vdroop disabled, and the rest set to the first option the motherboard colors green in the selection. Here's a good reference.

Re: the audio troubles if anyone wants to help, I've tried a few kexts linked in this thread, to no avail.

I wouldnt use that link. The numbers are way too high. plus system is unstable. If you run prime on it you will see it crach.

CPU VCore ( 1.3 )

CPU VTT Voltage ( +200mV )

CPU PLL VCore ( Auto )

DIMM Voltage ( 1.6V )

DIMM DQ Vref ( +0 )

QPI PLL VCore ( 1.35V )

IOH VCore ( 1.175V )

IOH/ICH I/O Voltage ( 1.525 )

ICH VCore ( 1.175V )

PWM Frequency ( 800 )

CPU Feature

Intel SpeedStep ( Disabled )

Turbo Mode Function ( Enabled )

CxE Function ( Disabled )

Execute Disable Bit ( Disabled )

Virtualization Technology ( Enabled )

Logical Processor Setting

Intel HT Technology ( Enabled )

Active Processor Cores ( All )

QPI Settings

QPI Control Settings ( Enabled )

QPI Link Fast Mode ( Enabled )

QPI Frequency Selection ( 4800GT/s )

20x and 187 clock

Great, thanks for your help! It boots now and seems to work, except I have no audio.

Has anyone gotten the EVGA Realtek ALC889a drivers working?

Any luck with The audio on evga x58 MB?

boot in verbose mode -v and paste the log here..

i would assume that at a minimum you would need to run the voodoo 9.5 kernel and quite possibly remove several kexts - you are breaking new ground so you will have to research the forums and find out the exact specifications of your motherboard northbridge/southbridge, lan etc etc and see if there are kexts/solutions for your hardware.

Hi all, I am at a loss, ...

I found that the EBIOS errors came from a bad disk, so I've solved that issue. No more EBIOS erros, but I just can't seem to get to the main Leopard install window for some reason.

I tried the unmodified Bootloader 132 and the modified one, both to no avail.

Darwin starts loading and I get several lines of text, but then a white flash and the machine reboots... (i did use the -v option, but I never get to a point where I can grab any log or anything to post here)

Shouldn't I at least be able to get to the main Leopard install window without having to add specific kexts to the initrd image? (which I haven't been able to do successfully btw. if I modify that image, the boot-132 cd doesn't boot at all)

I know these are noob questions, but all I've been doing the past couple of days is read hundreds of posts, try and try again and het nowhere.

need a little help here...

is there an article somewhere that explains how you can add a kext to that boot-132 iso?

Thanks a million!!!

I'm running a coller master V8 on a i7 920 on evga x58 MB over clocked to 4.0 ghz running at idle temp of 25 degree C.

what kind of cooler do you have ?

Hello Guys

I have the same setup EVGA x58 MB, and evga 9800 GTX+. I havnt been able to get sound working any luck from your side other then the usb audio solution ?

thanks

Here are my numbers : I can acutall go higher then 187 but I see that the performance is better at 187.

With this setup and a coolermaster V8 my CPU temp at idle is 23-25 degree and load is 45-50 degree

20x and 187 clock

Any luck with The audio on evga x58 MB?

Hey, thanks for posting those - 'll give those a try :gathering:

Sorry about sound - seems like this one will be hard to crack. I tried getting it up, out of curiosity, but got nowhere.

On the other hands my SB Audigy 2 zs works very nicely with this system. And you can probably find a cheap one on ebay anyway.

Any one with a EVGA x58 interested in 2 channel sound from the ALC889

Backup current appledha.kext and dhaenabler.kext if needed

run the package posted in this post. named AzaliaAudio.pkg Do not reboot after install

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (press Ctrl + W)

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ecffff</string> ----------------->change to <string>0x10ec0889</string>

exit and save

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> --------------->change to<string>0x3E3A8086 0x3A3E8086</string> (note not sure if its reverse bit but I put both in and it works)

Save and exit

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

REboot

you system profiler will say no audio device but in system preferences you should have an audio output device.

Not perfect but better then nothing

Try it let me know if you have any luck with this method on evga x58 MB

AzaliaAudio.pkg.zip

Thanks for that.

However, looking at the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext Info.plist, I don't see the mentioned Realtek string (0x10ec0880), but only the Realtek ID (10ec) followed by the mask (ffff):

<string>0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff</string>

I suppose we just replace the mask with the codex then? ffff -> 0889

The second change makes sense, as we're updating the device ID (3A3E) to work with the Intel ICH10 HD Audio Controller. I just added the 0x3A3E8086 string to the rest of the Intel devices. (The first 3 Intel devices were for ICH6, ICH7, and ICH8, respectively.)

Thanks for this tip. I'll include the modified kext in my script download.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks for that.

However, looking at the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext Info.plist, I don't see the mentioned Realtek string (0x10ec0880), but only the Realtek ID (10ec) followed by the mask (ffff):

<string>0x10ecffff 0x14f1ffff 0x11d4ffff 0x434dffff 0x8384ffff</string>

I suppose we just replace the mask with the codex then? ffff -> 0889

The second change makes sense, as we're updating the device ID (3A3E) to work with the Intel ICH10 HD Audio Controller. I just added the 0x3A3E8086 string to the rest of the Intel devices. (The first 3 Intel devices were for ICH6, ICH7, and ICH8, respectively.)

Thanks for this tip. I'll include the modified kext in my script download.

regards,

MAJ

MAJ

I just changed the 0x10ecffff to 0x10ec0889

Activity monitor is off, download istat pro, that'll show you all your 8 cores active. If it doesnt then get worried :rolleyes:

in order to switch to the other kernel you have to edit your boot.plist in library/preferences/system configuration/

change where it says "custom" to "mach_kernel" reason being is becuase the iatkos installation protects your current kernel durring os updates so your system is brick proof after software updates. What update were you installing when your system hung? 10.5.6? If so then, make sure you have disabler.kext in your extensions folder as well as dsmos.kext and smbiosefi.kext. Most of the time the reason for crashing is due to the cputemp kext that the disabler disables. And for future reference, always download your delta and combo updaters directly from apple and install them.

Wow great!! Unfortunately I am very new to all of this. While I’m learning quite a bit, I am still unfamiliar with how I would go about editing the boot.plist (library/preferences/system configuration/)

Do I edit it with apple’s text app and enter “mach_kernal” instead of “custom” after I update the kernel through osx86helper? And I’m assuming I update to 9.6.0 after I install the updates through apples software installer?

Hopefully this isn’t asking much but I would really appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to complete this procedure.

Note: I am installing my system via Apple’s software updater. And Yes the 10.5.6 update was amongst the list of things being updated.

Thanks for the heads up on the other kexts. I’ll be sure to do a fresh reinstall and include disable.kext, dsmos.kext and smbios.kext. Fingers crossed

Thanks again!

Thank you guys!

I've been waiting for the sound, and this is it.

Unfortunately, I'm away from home so I can't touch my X58 system for a while.

At the moment, I'm trying to step-up for the EVGA X58 Classified, but I can't touch it. ^^

It's sad situation but I do really appreciate for you guys!

To anyone who is trying to get VMWare Fusion working with evga x58 and iPC 10.5.6 with 9.6.0 voodoo kernel:

1. Enable virtualization (under cpu) in your BIOS

2. Make symbolic link from mach_kernel.voodoo to mach_kernel (VMWare apparently expects kernel to be present as mach_kernel. Otherwise will cause a KP).

Xp in VM is flying on i7 ;)

Thank you guys!

I've been waiting for the sound, and this is it.

Unfortunately, I'm away from home so I can't touch my X58 system for a while.

At the moment, I'm trying to step-up for the EVGA X58 Classified, but I can't touch it. ^^

It's sad situation but I do really appreciate for you guys!

I am not so sure if classified x58 is gonna work with nf200 and all.

But if it does, certainly do tell us :)

I think I still have ~60 days to step-up.

hey Guys

I had my system up and running perfectly for a week then I started getting random kernel panics.

I had added a picture of the panic to this post. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW when this started happening I reset the bios to factory and running at stock 2.66 and achi on the jmicron controller.

thanks

post-9710-1237992791_thumb.jpg

Wow great!! Unfortunately I am very new to all of this. While I’m learning quite a bit, I am still unfamiliar with how I would go about editing the boot.plist (library/preferences/system configuration/)

Do I edit it with apple’s text app and enter “mach_kernal” instead of “custom” after I update the kernel through osx86helper? And I’m assuming I update to 9.6.0 after I install the updates through apples software installer?

Hopefully this isn’t asking much but I would really appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to complete this procedure.

Note: I am installing my system via Apple’s software updater. And Yes the 10.5.6 update was amongst the list of things being updated.

Thanks for the heads up on the other kexts. I’ll be sure to do a fresh reinstall and include disable.kext, dsmos.kext and smbios.kext. Fingers crossed

Thanks again!

Just copy the file to your desktop, open it with text edit then you can change the values. Then replace it with the one in that directory *it'll ask for your password apporval. Install the 9.6.0 kernel with osx86 tools reboot and your done.

And most of those files are selected by default on the iatkos disk, good luck.

hey Guys

I had my system up and running perfectly for a week then I started getting random kernel panics.

I had added a picture of the panic to this post. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW when this started happening I reset the bios to factory and running at stock 2.66 and achi on the jmicron controller.

thanks

You're running prime95, but that shouldn't be happening at stock speeds. Do you get KP before the temps rise to max?

Is your system only unstable under stress? What temperatures are you recording?

1. You mentioned resetting the BIOS. Make sure you always "Load Optimized Defaults" after a reset or reflash.

2. I'd monitor the temps to see if that's staying in check. Get Temperature Monitor mentioned below.

3. If your temperatures are okay, check the RAM. Pull one stick and rerun prime95. Bad RAM will cause "random" KP.

Speaking of temperatures, Marcel Bresink has just released Temperature Monitor 4.7, which offers support Intel® Core™ i7 technology and simultaneous multi-threading. I tried it last night and it works great.

regards,

MAJ

You're running prime95, but that shouldn't be happening at stock speeds. Do you get KP before the temps rise to max?

Is your system only unstable under stress? What temperatures are you recording?

1. You mentioned resetting the BIOS. Make sure you always "Load Optimized Defaults" after a reset or reflash.

2. I'd monitor the temps to see if that's staying in check. Get Temperature Monitor mentioned below.

3. If your temperatures are okay, check the RAM. Pull one stick and rerun prime95. Bad RAM will cause "random" KP.

Speaking of temperatures, Marcel Bresink has just released Temperature Monitor 4.7, which offers support Intel® Core™ i7 technology and simultaneous multi-threading. I tried it last night and it works great.

regards,

MAJ

the display on the motherboard reads 24-25 at idle. and when running prime goes up no more than 60. the KP happens at any given time even if I am not in mprime running test. I will install the temp monitor and see what it goes up to.

regarding your question about "Load optimized defaults" I dont know that there is such an option in the evga board.

hey Guys

thanks

Is it possible that you installed something that's causing these KPs? I haven't had a single system related KP (had a few because of OpenGL / Cuda programming). I am running stock with minimal iPC installation (only gfx drivers and lan driver, nothing else installed from disc) and 9.6.0 kernel (updated from page 9). Have all unnecessary stuff disabled in the BIOS (audio, jmicron etc).

Is it possible that you have a faulty mem? Did you run memtest?

hey Guys

thanks

I had this same problem with my board. It would happen whenever i'd do anything that involves sending and recieving alot of data. Like whenever i'd try to install leo from an dmg onto another drive i'd get that same panic. It has something to do with the ahci controller and the jmicron drivers. A reinstall fixed my issue. Not sure what i did, it was a few months back. I'd make sure you have the latest intelAHCI driver in your extensions folder.

Yes, advice is, don't push it too far, stick to proven hardware, like Gigabyte motherboards with Intel chipset and CPU. osx86 supports a lot more hardware than Apple, but why go looking for trouble? My system, and most of us, its 100% stable, rock solid. You can run your windows stuff under VMWare fusion. For games dual boot into windows or get an xbox. No platform is perfect, welcome to Earth, third rock from the sun. Other advice is, this thread is about i7. :P

My Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 i7 920 is up and running on XP. Core temperatures vary by 10 degrees C so I think I gotta re-seat the Thermalright U120-A. Found some reviews about OC this board here http://www.testseek.com/computers/mainboar...bf0161776e.html Looking for simple BIOS settings for OC. This article seems pretty helpful http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15908

I was wondering, the new mac pros are a)One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon or b)Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon. Am I correct in thinking that the 2.66 is the "xeon x5550" from the list at http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-pro...-2009,6384.html ; and the macpro with the two 2.26 Ghz xeon is using the "L5520 xeon" that is on the aforementioned list? Would it then be possible to wait till the gainestown comes out, by one and a dual slot motherboard (using only one cpu mount and leaving the other empty till I can aford another cpu)?

The reason I ask is because the gainestowns have 2 QPI's (quickpath interconect) so I could connect two to the motherboard and they are running the same speed QPI speed as the much more expensive i7 900 series cpus. Would this be a workable senario with osx86?

Welcome any thoughts on the matter

I had this same problem with my board. It would happen whenever i'd do anything that involves sending and recieving alot of data. Like whenever i'd try to install leo from an dmg onto another drive i'd get that same panic. It has something to do with the ahci controller and the jmicron drivers. A reinstall fixed my issue. Not sure what i did, it was a few months back. I'd make sure you have the latest intelAHCI driver in your extensions folder.

Hello

I will try to reinstall today. When you say latest intelAHCI drivers you mean the extensions in digital_dreamers x58_Mobo pages?

Anything additional you know of that needs to be added ?

Thanks

UPDATE: I just got a Kernel panic when doing an install to another internal drive. Are your SATA connetions on the red sata ports ? Which SATA port # do you have your drives connected to. If I connect my to anything other then SATA port 8 and 9 (jmicron 363 chipset) my drives dont show the real capacity.

For everyone that is using the gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 perhaps it would be a good idea to make certain that your BIOS is up to date. I read this fantastic article by Gary Key http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471. I think he must be some insider in mobo testing and development. I was shocked. The article puts a light on boards that are being pased to the huddled masses as mid to high end product but in reality wouldn't even earn the modest title of techno feces:

Of course, there is no excuse for this regardless of price, but one would truly think that the QA process would have noticed simple items like S3 not working, drives attached to certain storage ports not recognized, 12GB memory configurations causing non-POST situations, various BIOS settings not working or auto settings generating out of bounds voltages at stock speeds, power management features that when enabled actually increased power consumption, various overclock bugs, and USB and network controllers operating at half speed. The list just goes on and on.

It seems to me that even thought it is highly likely that they are pressured to produce and compete with the PC world, Apple, in my view has managed to produce beautiful, well engineered, high performing machines, regardless of the minor flaws these machines may have.

So, could some of the issues in this thread be board design related? Could BIOS cause any havoc in some configurations?

Hello

I will try to reinstall today. When you say latest intelAHCI drivers you mean the extensions in digital_dreamers x58_Mobo pages?

Anything additional you know of that needs to be added ?

Thanks

UPDATE: I just got a Kernel panic when doing an install to another internal drive. Are your SATA connetions on the red sata ports ? Which SATA port # do you have your drives connected to. If I connect my to anything other then SATA port 8 and 9 (jmicron 363 chipset) my drives dont show the real capacity.

Yea, that just confirms that your having an I/O error. Same {censored} i was having. What installation method are you using? In your bios under sata/pata configurations make sure you have the first option on AHCI Mode as well as the last, and second to last options. Everything else you can leave alone. Shouldnt matter which port. On the iATKOS disk, i selected the Intel AHCI driver as well with the jmicron kext after i installed and that fixed my issue.

Yea, that just confirms that your having an I/O error. Same {censored} i was having. What installation method are you using? In your bios under sata/pata configurations make sure you have the first option on AHCI Mode as well as the last, and second to last options. Everything else you can leave alone. Shouldnt matter which port. On the iATKOS disk, i selected the Intel AHCI driver as well with the jmicron kext after i installed and that fixed my issue.

Hello JaE-V

You are exactly correct. I have corrected the issue in the following manor. Install iDeneb 10.5.6 work perfectly with busratio=20 and all 8 cores show up in cpu activity monitor. I install the 9.5.0 voodoo kernel off the dvd. So this tells me that we dont really need any of the kext that are in Digital_Deamers script for this Mobo. Now I have ideneb updated to 9.6.0 voodoo (saw the dmg issue with 9.5.0) still no kext from digital_dreamers guide. I then mount the retail dvd install dvd run DD's script to do pre-patch and make partition active then run the install retail dvd. Copied the kexts for ACHI(from ideneb install) and SMBios(from DD's kexts package) to the new HD and rebooted with retail install and it booted correctly. no panic for 24 hours now. Remember to add busratio=20 in the plist.

Also The Sata controller for the intel chipset works correctly now.

I have attached a xbench result from my system.

seems good but didnt compare to other results yet. What are you guys getting on your system

Almost 48 hours uptime and no Kernel panic, ran mprime torture test #3 few time no issues. I used the following kexts for my setup.

Retail install 10.5.6 dvd.

i7 920 - Overclocked to 3.8 running at 18-20 degree on idle

EVGA X58 SLI Mobo

Cooler Master V8

EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 Mb

6 gig OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-18-59-1T

500 gig Sata Seagate 32 meg buffer

1TB Western Digital Black 32 meg buffer

Anetec 300 case - 4 120 mm coolermaster fans

Anetec 650 Watt power supply

the zip file enclosed in this post has all the kexts you need. the Plist file needs to be edited for your UUID and your GFX string. (if you dont want to use the GFX string remove the lines for "<key>device-properties</key>" and the hex string for it)

Good luck

Thank for everyone who assisted in getting my system to run and run smooth.

xbench.txt

EVGA_x58_Kexts.zip

Just want to let everyone know that my machine is up and running, GREAT! I used the iAtkos 10.5.5 on my Gigabyte EX58-UD3R and i7 920 with the kext and kernal that most have used. Got the newest NVinject going with my evga 9800gtx+ 1024mb. It only reads as 512 but I am fine with that. Also used the thread to get the "quartz supported." Everything looks to be working minus audio. Honestly haven't worked on it all that hard. FCP is running great and all regular apps. ie. iphoto, firefox, adium, skype and quicktime. Will update my sig with everything here soon. Just want to say thanks to all.

Remember if you are having install issues with the os install, make sure you have a sata dvd drive ;) That was my issue at first. Pretty painless in the end.

I'm building this same system. It would be great if you could point me to some posts that will help me out. Thank you for posting your success! :lol: