Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

I'm building this same system. It would be great if you could point me to some posts that will help me out. Thank you for posting your success! :unsure:

take a look at Digital_dreamers guide for retail install:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

Or if you plan to install a distro I used iDeneb 10.5.6 with the 9.5.0 voodoo kernel and busratio=20 -v too boot

as far as the graphics is concerned use the gfx string creater in osx86tools works great for me on the 9800 GTX+

how are these numbers from geekbench compared to the real mac pro i7

Retail install 10.5.6 dvd.

i7 920 - Overclocked to 3.8 running at 18-20 degree on idle

EVGA X58 SLI Mobo

Cooler Master V8

EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 Mb

6 gig OCZ Platinum 7-7-7-18-59-1T

500 gig Sata Seagate 32 meg buffer

1TB Western Digital Black 32 meg buffer

Anetec 300 case - 4 120 mm coolermaster fans

Anetec 650 Watt power supply

GeekBench.zip

EVGA X58 SLI Mobo

Cooler Master V8

EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 Mb

Mac Pro is not i7 but has a server CPU, I saw # for geekbench on the new mac pro and they were 15-20% better then an overclocked 920 i7

EVGA X58 SLI Mobo

Cooler Master V8

EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512 Mb

I was going to ask you to post the xbench numbers without the harddrive options, as it appeared low. But, your geekbench numbers puts all that to rest. Very good numbers. The new Mac Pros have 8 real cores plus HT vs our 4 cores plus HT. But, running the Hackintosh i7 platform at 3.8GHz, I'm sure you'll beat them in most tests. Like you, I'd like confirmation as well.

can someone explain more or come up with some kind of guide for the DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 mobo? its the only one i could find that was a MATX that works with 8 core!!!

I recall that someone else had just built a DFI Lanparty system using the Gigabyte UD5 kexts. Same chipsets. Give it a go here.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: 50 pages and still going. LOL!

Hi everyone,

I need some help with this setup:

1x 750 GB sata II

Core i7 2.6 Ghz

3x 1 gig corsair 1300mhz

HIS Radeon 4850 HD graphics card

Airpace pci-e wi fi card

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4 REV. 1.0

Sata CDRW+/- DVDRW+/-

Ive tried XxX 10.5.6 and tried just about every adjustment on my bios and no matter what i do it doesnt work.

I get as far as this:

I put the dvd in and boot from it.

Press F8 and type in -F

then i get a quock glance of the silver mack boot screen and it restarts.

Then i tried booting it and just pressing any key and it restarts.

Any ideas? Should i be using a different version or what am i diong wrong?

Thanks

Warren

Hi everyone,

I need some help with this setup:

1x 750 GB sata II

Core i7 2.6 Ghz

3x 1 gig corsair 1300mhz

HIS Radeon 4850 HD graphics card

Airpace pci-e wi fi card

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4 REV. 1.0

Sata CDRW+/- DVDRW+/-

Ive tried XxX 10.5.6 and tried just about every adjustment on my bios and no matter what i do it doesnt work.

I get as far as this:

I put the dvd in and boot from it.

Press F8 and type in -F

then i get a quock glance of the silver mack boot screen and it restarts.

Then i tried booting it and just pressing any key and it restarts.

Any ideas? Should i be using a different version or what am i diong wrong?

Thanks

Warren

Try the options busratio=20 -f

Hi again everyone,

I have downloaded Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd and when i start it keeps getting stuck and saying still waiting for root device. Do i have to format the hardrive first in a special way or do something with my bios settings?

Hi again everyone,

I have downloaded Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd and when i start it keeps getting stuck and saying still waiting for root device. Do i have to format the hardrive first in a special way or do something with my bios settings?

Set the bios for AHCI for your SATA controller

Hey agian,

Thanks for the help airwalk776. It then worked and i installed it, and then it restarts. Then when it comes on again it configures the keyboard and then it i choose location as uk then it asks if i want to restore data from another mac or hard drive and i say no. It then does nothing for a while (no cd usage or hardrive usage) and then it goes back to set up keyboard, ive repeated this process like 6 times and it still does not go any further. What could cuase this? Also can someone send pictures of their bios setting if you have a gigabyte mother board.

Once agian thanks for the help:)

Alright It seems as if I have a running system! Thanks to all.

These are the steps I followed....

Running evga x58 with the latest bios.....SZ27

Used iATKOS 5i,

In bios, set sata/pata, first option on AHCI Mode as well as the last, and second to last options

and XMP Profile for ram.

Loaded disk with "Busratio=20 cpus=1"

-Customized, installer options all default with...

Voodoo 9.5, AHCI Intel driver, (LAN) Realtek 1000, no video selection

Rebooted with "busratio=20 -x -v"

Downloaded osx86tools, generated string for 7600GT card.

Downloaded OSX updates via software updater to 10.5.6

Updated Kernel to 9.6.0 via osx86tools and edited "com.apple.Boot.plist" file under /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration to mach_kernel. To get timemachine working I added, IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Always boot with busratio=20.

I have General system functionality except for a few things I'm still trying to pan out.

I'm getting system freezes whenever I try wake from monitor or system sleep.

And (which I believe is from plugging in my monitors usb hub/memory card reader) after a few hours, my system becomes unresponsive.

Now I've read through this thread and have seen that many are including other kexts,

i.e. JMicronATA.kext and System.kext and seatbelt.kext (10.5.5)

and there are two packs that follow this thread. The "GA-EX58-UD5_Kexts.zip" and "EVGA_x58_Kexts.zip"

which contain .kexts I haven't included.

I also noticed that in the "EVGA_x58_Kexts.zip" pack there was a com.apple.Boot.plist that had this included...

"<string>boot-uuid=Your_HD_UUID_Here busratio=20 macmodel=MacPro3,1 MemSpeed=1600 MemType=DDR3</string>" which I believe would resolve me having to always enter busratio=20 at startup and my memory showing DDR2 0mHz? Can I implement this with my system through text edit? If so, how?

Also, I would really appreciate if someone could advise me as to which kexts I should add to remedy the situations above and to also get optimal system performance. I'm so close and your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

*Oh and I found this page "http://iatkos.wikidot.com/" which says "System must run on System.kext that belongs to your kernel version" Is this relevant?

hello Native

the the com.apple.Boot.plist is located in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

your UUID can be found by using disk utility, highlight you disk partition on the left and click the "info" button

Look for Universal Unique Identifier.

Just copy the com.apple.Boot.plist from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration to you desktop, make a backup in another location just to be safe. Edit as needed and replace the file in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

with the new one.

the kexts which I have posted in zip EVGA_x58_Kexts.zip are from my system and solved all of my issues.

I have a EVGA x58 MB , i7 920, also. You can use osx86tools to install them if you like.

BTW...can you PM me a link to that bios as its not posted on EVGA site yet.

Hey agian,

Thanks for the help airwalk776. It then worked and i installed it, and then it restarts. Then when it comes on again it configures the keyboard and then it i choose location as uk then it asks if i want to restore data from another mac or hard drive and i say no. It then does nothing for a while (no cd usage or hardrive usage) and then it goes back to set up keyboard, ive repeated this process like 6 times and it still does not go any further. What could cuase this? Also can someone send pictures of their bios setting if you have a gigabyte mother board.

I have been seen that, but then again I dont have that motherboard your using.

Digital_Dreamer has the same one, any thoughts MAJ?

Hey agian,

I know this distro works on our board without any issues.

So, the only thing that comes to mind is corrupted data from a bad DVD burn. Did it verify when you burned it? We have different writers, readers, and DVD media - all three different variables that may not work well together.

I would suggest trying a slower burn.

regards,

MAJ

Hey all,

I have this computer : http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529...0.php#techspecs

If you didn't click the link, it has :

Generic mother with Intel x58 Chipset

Core i7 Processor

ATI HD Radeon 4850

I have tried ideneb, iatkos with installation success but at the installation complete screen and restart, Darwin tries to load but it fails and restarts again, creating the reboot loop.

I tried Kalyway and it won't even loading the installation past darwin.

I have Retail OS X and have tried boot-132 loader with both the generic and modified kexts, but after the switch on the disk, same thing, darwin is trying to load but it restarts.

My Bios is a AMI Bios, I was wondering if any certain options are suggested for changing the settings to get the Retail version to work as that would be ideal.

If there are any other boot-132 bootloaders with modified kexts, I am ready to try them.

Thanks,

Hey all,

I finally got it working :D:D:D

The only problem is there is no sound or wi fi. Can someone tell me where to get the drivers for the abit airppace wi fi pci-e card and also for the sound drivers on a GA-EX58-UD4. If you could post a link or something for these drivers i would really apreciate it.

And once again thank you for your help :)

very strange indeed. maybe it's still beta ;) no just kidding. but maybe there's something else you could try to verify. it would be very interesting to see how the 10.5.7beta performs when smt (hyperthreading) is disabled in the bios. would you mind to test this once more?

Hey all,

I have this computer : http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529...0.php#techspecs

If you didn't click the link, it has :

Generic mother with Intel x58 Chipset

Core i7 Processor

ATI HD Radeon 4850

I have tried ideneb, iatkos with installation success but at the installation complete screen and restart, Darwin tries to load but it fails and restarts again, creating the reboot loop.

I tried Kalyway and it won't even loading the installation past darwin.

I have Retail OS X and have tried boot-132 loader with both the generic and modified kexts, but after the switch on the disk, same thing, darwin is trying to load but it restarts.

My Bios is a AMI Bios, I was wondering if any certain options are suggested for changing the settings to get the Retail version to work as that would be ideal.

If there are any other boot-132 bootloaders with modified kexts, I am ready to try them.

Thanks,

at boot use these options busratio=20 -v

and in the BIOS make sure you have AHCI for Sata controllers turned on

at boot use these options busratio=20 -v

and in the BIOS make sure you have AHCI for Sata controllers turned on

Yea ive tried that... and the Retail install stops at "using 15728 headers"

P1S7ajS6.jpg

^^^^ Thats the issue... any ideas anyone?

very strange indeed. maybe it's still beta :( no just kidding. but maybe there's something else you could try to verify. it would be very interesting to see how the 10.5.7beta performs when smt (hyperthreading) is disabled in the bios. would you mind to test this once more?

Seems this did the trick. I disabled Multithreading in the bios and did a few quick benches at stock speed.

Xbench is much higher now, on par with 10.5.6 and Voodoo kernel, actually slightly better memory section speeds. Geekbench was much better than before but still considerably lower than 10.5.6 Voodoo. I'll clone my system and redo the upgrade again when I get some time.

EVGA X58 Audio update with applehda.kext more then two channels working.

I dont have a full speaker set so I cant really test is correctly.

All the credit goes to tmongkol from the alc889a all analog ports working thread. Thank you tmongkol

give it a try and let me know your results.

Digital_dreamer if this works for more people correctly please update the repository thanks.

1.5.7a24_EVGA_X58.zip

@gaving

thanks for testing. i'm still not really in this hackintosh thing (still reading and planing my i7 system), but it looks like this "virtual core" stuff needs good implementation in the os to get it working efficiently. if it was windows i would guess it depends on intel's chipset driver, but for osx it seems to be implemented in the os by default. so maybe the 1.5.7 beta kernel is still lacking in this regard compared to the Voodoo kernel (or still not using the latest "drivers")?

EVGA X58 Audio update with applehda.kext more then two channels working.

I dont have a full speaker set so I cant really test is correctly.

All the credit goes to tmongkol from the alc889a all analog ports working thread. Thank you tmongkol

give it a try and let me know your results.

Digital_dreamer if this works for more people correctly please update the repository thanks.

Got it. Thanks for that!

Which one is this? 3outs3ins digital or 4outs3ins analog? HDA headphone or regular headphone?

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: Okay, I see your posts. Looks like a 4outs3ins. HDA Headphones? Do the Internal Speakers automatically switch to Headphones when plugged in?

Hi everyone,

I have got iATKOS_5i working and audio working and im going to buy a wi fi card that will work on it, but there is still a major problem and that is my graphics card still does not work :( And apparently i need 10.5.6 to get it to work so how can i upgrade iATKOS_5i without the net? I have downloaded an upgrade package from apple on windows then i put it on a flash card installed it and restart and then it keeps restarting at boot and ive tried busratio=20 and -f and cpus=1 and i set my bois to 1 cpu and no hyperthreading but it still wont work. So how can i get 10.5.6?

Thanks

Warren