Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Great news for those who want to upgrade to 10.5.7 and have a 4850 graphics card.

Today i downloaded the 10.5.7 upgrade, chameleon 2.0 bootloader, and the 9.7.0 voodoo kernel.

Then reinstalled mac then installed the chameleon bootloader and the new kernel restarted. Then i installed the upgrade and when it restarted it would not go past the apple logo, so i booted with -f -v and in safe mode i reinstalled the kernel (i dont know if this is nessasary) i then installed all the kexts for my motherboard and i did a permisions repair. then restarted and everything worked, amazing my graphics worked it set it to the highest res and i never installed the graphics card so obviously 10.5.7 has the drivers for it. Also i can change resolutions fine as well:) :( so im quite happy now 10.7.7 and 9.7.0 kernel and working graphics good times :)

oh yeah and also under about this mac it says ddr 2 667 instead of ddr3 1333 but otherwise im really happy.

You really had to do NOTHING? Not even EFI strings for your card? What card do you use exactly?

Definitely a boost in performance after the update and bootloader update to the newest chameleon, however my idenitfiers are jacked up. It doesnt show anything but an error under my hardware overview and my system is detected as a macpro2,1 which is bad bad lol...

Does anyone have an smbios.plist thats already compiled for ddr3 and macpro4,1 they mind posting for us using the /extras folder

Definitely a boost in performance after the update and bootloader update to the newest chameleon, however my idenitfiers are jacked up. It doesnt show anything but an error under my hardware overview and my system is detected as a macpro2,1 which is bad bad lol...

Does anyone have an smbios.plist thats already compiled for ddr3 and macpro4,1 they mind posting for us using the /extras folder

JaE-V

try this one works for me and corrects the clock speed issue(where the speed doesnt show correctly)

To correct the proc type use DD's script to edit same as before

I use this on a EVGA X58 but shouldnt make a diff. if you have another board

smbios.plist.zip

Using the exact same rig as airwalk776 I was able to get everything up and running this past weekend, with D_D 3.6. Awesome work and huge thanks to everyone here, new hackintosh is running great(compared to previous dual opteron rig which never worked for longer than an hour). I wondered though if you(airwalk776) have had any luck sleeping/waking with this setup, and any insight you could provide.

Using the exact same rig as airwalk776 I was able to get everything up and running this past weekend, with D_D 3.6. Awesome work and huge thanks to everyone here, new hackintosh is running great(compared to previous dual opteron rig which never worked for longer than an hour). I wondered though if you(airwalk776) have had any luck sleeping/waking with this setup, and any insight you could provide.

BigFat

Sleep specifically wake is a common problem with most people. For me I have had no luck in getting it to wake. When I sleep manually or automatic it seems to sleep ok but does not recover from sleep. Some people have had luck by changing the hibernation settings with the following command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 2

Default is 0, so do a pmset -g to see what your's is set to.

DD's notes state the following:

As for the other modes:

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.

1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.

3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

5 - This is the same as mode 1, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory (in System Preferences -> Security).

7 - This is the same as mode 3, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory.

I have had no luck only thing I get it sleep file size is too large or somthing to that extent. never looked at it after that point

give it a shot see how you make out, please do let us know if you have any positive results.

thanks

Since I see the Intel X58 Chipset + i7 is running, can anyone tell me if this will work:

I'm going to have an HP m9600t elite with an Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz.

Motherboard

-Manufacturer: Pegatron

-Motherboard Name: IPMTB-TK

-HP/Compaq motherboard name: Truckee-UL8E

It's got an Intel X58 Express chipset, and I think that's all I need. Everyone if talking about this Gigabyte mobo though.

Could anyone answer my question?

EDIT: Also I just thought about gfx. I have an nVidia GTS 250 1GB video card. I don't think it's supported unless someone can help me out with it.

Snick,

I have been using Macs for nearly 15 years now, and have been installing Mac OS X on PC's for quite some time now. I just wanted to let you know I'm not some noob with OSx86. See my signature for my current OSx86 PC.

The choice to go with the i7 Platform took some time due to the fact that OSx86 was not really fully tested when I decided to purchase the new motherboard/cpu. The decision between the different motherboard brands was quite simple though. Gigabyte and Intel brands usually are the closest to a vanilla system you will get. That means minimal modification to the system and better stability (and simpler installs for that reason). Unfortunately the Intel motherboard was feature limited and that made me choose the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. It was a great choice. I had the system up an running within a few hours with very little documentation of what kernel extensions were required. The JaS 10.5.2 packages had the system fairly functional. It was only when I didn't let well enough alone that I started to have issues. Thank Digital Dreamer for doing a lot of testing to find out what works and what doesn't. It seems he is a perfectionist like me.

Here is my list of i7 compatible motherboard recommendations/criticisms (In order of my preference/opinion):

• Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME/GA-EX58-UD5:
    This motherboard, from personal knowledge, works well with OSx86. All chipsets are working with almost 100% functionality. I would recommend this motherboard for most OSx86 users.
    ASUS P6T Deluxe:
    This board has been giving some users issues, but I believe this will fixed in the near future. The more popular the board becomes, the more OSx86 developer will work on it.
    MSI X58 Eclipse/Platinum
    This is a fairly new motherboard and I only recommend this if you are willing to work on it (or wait for someone else to). It has much potential, but the user base is very small now, so only time will tell.
    EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1:
    I normally don't recommend EVGA anything, but it seems that this board does have some nice features. Other than Intel ICH10R, I do not see any other detailed information about what chipsets are used. Due to this fact I would not recommend this motherboard for first-timers. Also, the motherboard has it's own fan, so those who wish for a quiet motherboard need not apply.
    Intel DX58SO Extreme Series:
    Do not purchase this motherboard. It is overpriced and underpowered. Most noticeably is the 4 RAM slots for a triple channel motherboard (Max 16GB - not triple channel).

Either way, you will have some work ahead of you. If you choose a path less chosen, then do us a favor and post your problems, solutions, and any methods you used to get Mac OS X working on your motherboard. This way, any users that decide to get the same hardware as you will have much fewer headaches than you had.

Honestly, you will be surprised with the speed of this processor (the 920 is still extremely fast - especially for the price). You don't need the 965 or 940 for a great system. I would roughly compare the 920/940 easily to a 2.8/3.0GHz 8-core MacPro. It's amazing that you can easily get the performance of a MacPro for under $1000, less if you already have most of the hardware (excluding MB/CPU/RAM)

No luck with the USB/FW I assume... Are you sure you are looking in the right place? I don't think it's the modified kext you are using... I think it's most likely a modified kext we are not using. I want to see what IORegistryExplorer has to say about the USB ports... Have you looked into patched IOUSBFamily.kexts (or do they even exist)?

Hi Wolfienuke,

Just wanted to say thanks SO much for this post. I've been looking (admittedly rather half heartedly) through various threads for weeks looking for some simple information on what hardware and chipsets are faring best in the i7/hackintosh world. Unfortunately the beautiful new osx86 database doesn't have any info on i7...

Anyway, Thanks much!

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 is a pretty easy board to work with, personally I like it more than UD5. The fan on it is virtually silent.

The only problem is the sound card, but that's never been a problem for me since I use Audigy 2 card. But I believe there's a way to get it working.

You can use DD's script to install retail 10.5.7 on it without much trouble.

You really had to do NOTHING? Not even EFI strings for your card? What card do you use exactly?

I basically installed 10.5.7 over a clean install with the new chameleon bootloader and voodoo 9.7.0 kernel. Then rebooted in safe mode and re installed kernel and repaired permissions and installed kexts for my motherboard and restarted and it automatically went to the highest resolution for my screen. It is a IceQ turbo x 4850 HD and ive taken the default cooler off put on a water-block.

Here is what is says under hardware:ATI Radeon HD 48XX:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 48XX

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9442

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 is a pretty easy board to work with, personally I like it more than UD5. The fan on it is virtually silent.

The only problem is the sound card, but that's never been a problem for me since I use Audigy 2 card. But I believe there's a way to get it working.

I took the HDA kexts from DD's script and changed the id's for the EVGA RELTEk 889 and I have all channels working

give it a go just drop them in the /extra/extension folder and update boot cache.

EVGA_Audio_Kext.zip

I took the HDA kexts from DD's script and changed the id's for the EVGA RELTEk 889 and I have all channels working

give it a go just drop them in the /extra/extension folder and update boot cache.

Ha! Cool, thanks a lot :)

Edit: Added to /Extra/Stored_Kexts, updated boot cache, but for some reason that didn't work for me. Can only see my Audigy 2 in the System Preferences / Sound / Output.

Edit 2: I am an idiot, I forgot HDAEnabler, looks like it's working, can use built-in realtek and my audigy :)

Thanks again.

post-180326-1243905394_thumb.png

Hey radov4n,

did you run into any problems, getting Mac OS 10.5.7 vanilla kernel running on this motherboard? does everything work, sleep, etc? From reading through here it almost seems that the evga board is easier to get working than the gigabytes? Of course it could just seem that way due to more people trying with gigabyte motherboards than anything else?

Ha! Cool, thanks a lot :)

Edit: Added to /Extra/Stored_Kexts, updated boot cache, but for some reason that didn't work for me. Can only see my Audigy 2 in the System Preferences / Sound / Output.

Edit 2: I am an idiot, I forgot HDAEnabler, looks like it's working, can use built-in realtek and my audigy :(

Thanks again.

So it seems like you have everything working. I for the most part have everything working, 9800 GTX+ is solid now after I updated the bios, network ports are working, sound is working, my pci wireless it working, usb is working, firewire I cant test because I dont have any firewiredevices,

Onlything I am stuck on is sleep and wake from sleep. with the EVGA X58 Mobo.

Does yours work?

Also what do you overclock yours to. I am at 3.9 stable with temps at 21 idle and 65 with load.

So it seems like you have everything working. I for the most part have everything working, 9800 GTX+ is solid now after I updated the bios, network ports are working, sound is working, my pci wireless it working, usb is working, firewire I cant test because I dont have any firewiredevices,

Onlything I am stuck on is sleep and wake from sleep. with the EVGA X58 Mobo.

Does yours work?

Also what do you overclock yours to. I am at 3.9 stable with temps at 21 idle and 65 with load.

Might sound weird, but I haven't tested sleep. I kind-of can't reboot my machine atm, but when I do 'll get back when I do :)

I run 3.2 ghz, around your temps. I should push it higher, having a nice fan and all.

I am not sure about firewire either, I don't have a single fw device and I actually disabled the fw port in the bios.

And another thing: I finally managed to install 10.5.7 on x58 i7 P6T, with 2 gtx 260's cards, using new netkas's kexts and universal injector. Here's a very lame overview:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1168561

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I need help. I have an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard with an Intel Core i7 920 and I have the retail DVD of Mac OSX. How do I install it?

I know that I need Voodoo kernel and a Boot-132/Chameleon RC2 bootloader, but I don't know which Boot-132 to download. I also have not found a guide for this install. :/

Alright I need help. I have an EVGA X58 SLI motherboard with an Intel Core i7 920 and I have the retail DVD of Mac OSX. How do I install it?

I know that I need Voodoo kernel and a Boot-132/Chameleon RC2 bootloader, but I don't know which Boot-132 to download. I also have not found a guide for this install. :/

Did you have any luck with this?

I'm at the same positiion but with a evga x58 classified

I tried to build my own boot-132 using the x58 files as a base but i get a reboot - I assume i'm messing up the kernel somewhere.. I'm using an early 10.5 retail CD

Has anyone gotten leopard installed onto an ASRock X58 Deluxe LGA 1366? I can only install with idneb and i can only use one core.

Has anyone gotten leopard installed onto an ASRock X58 Deluxe LGA 1366? I can only install with idneb and i can only use one core.

Is there anyone still offering help, i just purchased some parts over the weekend, and they are as follows:

CPU: Intel Nehelam I7 920 2.6GHz

MB: EVGA X58 3X SLI (E758-A1)

VID: EVGA GTS 250 1GB DDR3

mem: OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 6GB KIT x2 (12GB)

HD: Western Digital black 500GB

CS: Cooler Master HAF 922

PW: Corsair 750W

I have a little experience with a hack... i've done a kalaway install before. but this mb is completely different and it seems that i need special instructions. How to get components working, and get the video with full qe/ci support!

I have IPC 10.5.6, when i try to boot from dvd, it restarts, so it keeps looping, and restarting, looping and restarting... that is all i have tried so far since i barely got this rig. Any help will be appereciated. Thanx!

-Kr0NiC

Update: Anyone home? After reading most of the pages on this forum, i have successfully installed the OSX. I have voodoo kernel 9.5.0. i have my nvidia GTS 250 correctly configured via osx86tools and efi string. No Sound, CPU is Wrong, memory is wrong, most likely because i have to update the voodoo kernel. I try to install 9.6.0 kernel via osx86tools from the Gigabyte package found on page #9 of this post, but it gives me an applescript error. i have tried to install audio kexts too but they don't show up after reboot. gonna continue chopping at it, any help would HELP! thank you!