Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

i have almost the same setup as above and am getting the same results with iatkos 10.5.7. I too have a retail dvd at my disposal but dont know how to use it.

1) Create a BOOT-132 disc loaded with the kexts you need (e.g. vanilla kernel 9.7.0, ICH10R kext etc.)

2) Boot from it, then swap with original Leopard DVD - install

3) Boot again from BOOT-132 to fire up your fresh Leopard install

4) Update to 10.5.7 via Apple Software Updater

5) Install Chameleon 2 RC1 with the kexts your BOOT-132 disc contains

Done.

i have a dell studio xps

core i7 920

640GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

4 gb ram dual channel ddr 3

x58 {censored} dell mobo lol

ati radeon 4350 512 mb

currently running windows 7

Would i be able to install via retail or kalyway(or any other similar e.g. iatkos) with these specs?

thanks

Well...

Got my UD4P humming! Everything works perfectly, though I haven't tried the Gigabyte SATA.

Ran GeekBench and got a score of ~8400, versus a dual Quad MacPro ~9000.

Thanks for the script and the great forum - I am super stoked! :unsure:

My computer (HP Elite e9150t, i7-920 processor, 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM, 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850) continually won't start after installation.

I have tried Generic ISO - disk swap, the actual Mac OS disk, won't even install.

I tried Ideneb 1.4 which will go through the entire install and then have loading errors and won't start up. (I've tried this on two different hard drives, one will Vista on it with a seperate partition and freshly formated HD, that works fine in my PowerMac G5.

I tried as it stated on the Forum iAtkos v5i which it won't even boot into the installation process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm on my 10-11 install.

Someone save me!

I recently asked for help a few posts up and i got the computer and all components fully working. now i am building an exact duplicate and everything is going fine until i get to the flippin sound. I use the same kexts that i had in the prior system. but for some reason there are never devices available. i have even used the kext provided by airwalk. it shows up in the profiler but there are no devices available. i have deleted all audio kexts, even done a fresh install. but the sound is never available! i need help please!

computer:

CPU: Intel Nehelam I7 920 2.6GHz

MB: EVGA X58 3X SLI (E758-A1)

VID: EVGA GTS 250 1GB DDR3

mem: OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 6GB KIT x2 (12GB)

HD: Western Digital black 500GB

CS: Cooler Master HAF 922

PW: Corsair 750W

cpus=1 Problem on i7 920, MB GA-EX58-UD3R:

Hi All,

i need help to resolve my problem being not able to use all 4 cores.

My specs:

MOBO: GA-EX58-UD3R (BIOS reseted to standard, otimized "of course with AHCI setting") Is it BIOS Problem? which settings?

Proc: i7 920 (Not overcloced)

Power supply: COUGAR 1000W

Grafik: 2 x ATI 4890 - srossfired (fully functioning with "cpus=1", or without)

RAM: 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600

I have tried Retail installation, iAtkos 10.5.7 v7, both with various kernel versions of Vanilla, and Voodoo.

All kernels will be run only with flag cpus=1.

without "cpus=1" flag i get boot and run system for some minutes. I can work on it, or let it stay alone, but after few minutes freeze system without letting me some advice in log files or some where else.

Temperature Monitor shows me between 35 - 45 degree for all 8 threads.

If some one has any suggestions, that i can do here?

Thanks

Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME/GA-EX58-UD5:

This motherboard, from personal knowledge, works well with OSx86. All chipsets are working with almost 100% functionality. I would recommend this motherboard for most OSx86 users.

ASUS P6T Deluxe:

This board has been giving some users issues, but I believe this will fixed in the near future. The more popular the board becomes, the more OSx86 developer will work on it.

Wolfienuke, many thanks for your list of MoBos and for putting them in order and with a brief note on each!

:wacko:

I am currently looking into the P6T but, since this will be my first x86... Would you say that the current difference in ease of instalation and stability/compatibility is enough to keep hardware and software savvy people away from the ASUS?

I only ask because I like ASUS, I know their bios and the P6T is a solid performer. I have however built one system on a Gigabyte board before, and didn't encounter any major issues.

Finally, is there any known issues with Final Cut? That is the only program I am interested in.

Again, thanks for your post and to everyone that takes the time to explain things clearly for those that will need it.

I suggest you to take a Tour on this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

(for a lot of success stories for Core i7 MOBOS........... not only GA EX58-UD5 ! )

:(

Thank you AROBASEFR. I know this topic.

Problem Resolved! (AirPort.Atheros.kext was a bad one)

For network i use a PCI card - D-Link DWA-547, which usualy recognised as a native Airport Card. (No need for any drivers or work a rounds). In my case it was this driver for Atheros Card, that caused kernel freezes (without even a panic message).

So i downloaded old Apple AirPort Extreme Update 2007-004 , extracted IO80201Family.kext and placed this one instead of myne.

Right now i have fully working system with Retail installation on GA-EX-UD3R

with 2 x 4890 with HW support CI/QE, sound, wlan, bluetooth, AND running all 8 cores of i7 920! :)

I have the exact same problem. Even if i use a patched DSDT i can't seem to get any more than 1 core working.

try to boot your system with all cores, but use flag -x. If your system run with flag -x, then you have to find the bad driver that will be loaded without -x flag (in my case it was Airport.Atheros.kext). With this flag will kernel boot without binding of some drivers (save mode).

You can get a list with a potential Problem driver if your difer kextstat output of running system with -x and without this flag.

FINALLY SUCCEEDED - FULL VANILLA INSTALL

Used DD script on the same basic configuration but no matter what I tried, I could not get QE/CI to be enabled for any video card. I got the QE/CI enabled for GTX260 and now everything is working great. My fatal mistake is that I was adding GFI strings to the com.apple.boot.plist but it never seemed to make any difference. I was using OSX86 tools but it doesn't update the right one. With the Chameleon boot loader, you need to change the com.apple.boot.plist in the /Extras folder. Now it is all working great and I am about to start installing all my programs to put it to the test.

Thanks for all the info everyone!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Since I see the Intel X58 Chipset + i7 is running, can anyone tell me if this will work:

I'm going to have an HP m9600t elite with an Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz.

Motherboard

-Manufacturer: Pegatron

-Motherboard Name: IPMTB-TK

-HP/Compaq motherboard name: Truckee-UL8E

It's got an Intel X58 Express chipset, and I think that's all I need. Everyone if talking about this Gigabyte mobo though.

Could anyone answer my question?

EDIT: Also I just thought about gfx. I have an nVidia GTS 250 1GB video card. I don't think it's supported unless someone can help me out with it.

Well your mobo has the following specs

Intel X58 + ICH10R chipset

Socket 1366

Front Side Bus: 4.8 GT/s QPI

mATX form factor

Supports up to 24 GB DDR3 1066 MHz memory

Realtek ALC888S 8+2 Channel HD Audio

Realtek RTL8111DL 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet controller

24-pin ATX power supply connector

Supports NVIDIA SLI

RoHS compliant

Hopefully you can get IAtkos to work otherwise try a retail install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anybody wanna sponsor me a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5? :)

Project's at: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?...6579&page=4

Will make a fully documented video of the install and a "You made it possible t-shirt." :D

Such an action will fully compliment the Powermac G5 Case, email "ardashev120101@gmail.com" if willing.

that looks quite interesting!!!!

Hey guys, i got the i7 working... i know its primitive as i am using voodoo, but everything works just fine.... its great,

if anyone is just starting follow my super simple mac x58 install, took me days to figure it out... i coulnt enable quartz, until i just decided to make a list of every driver and try everything LOL

Yes, i wanted OSX bad!!!!!

So, here it is:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187700

its not really a true guide, but i am trying to give back you know... Im running OSX!!!!

I was so happy when everything worked, and continued to smile every second i use it

Im a true Hackingtosh fan, thank you thank you than you,

htelg

• 1 month later...
Since I see the Intel X58 Chipset + i7 is running, can anyone tell me if this will work:

I'm going to have an HP m9600t elite with an Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz.

Motherboard

-Manufacturer: Pegatron

-Motherboard Name: IPMTB-TK

-HP/Compaq motherboard name: Truckee-UL8E

It's got an Intel X58 Express chipset, and I think that's all I need. Everyone if talking about this Gigabyte mobo though.

Could anyone answer my question?

EDIT: Also I just thought about gfx. I have an nVidia GTS 250 1GB video card. I don't think it's supported unless someone can help me out with it.

I have 2 of these boards. I have not been effected by all of the hype about these being defective. They are very stable. I got one new from geeks and one used from an HP pull. I push them as far as they can go. Currently I am tring to mod the bios so I can overclock and slic. For the most part the software slic is fine. I've been to the posts about these being defective and little by little everyone appears to be correcting their issues. If they built their own machines I am sure they would have had a better experience with the board.

I've found the drivers from HP and windows update cause conflicts... The Windows 7 and orriginal manufacurers drivers work perfect and I have a clean OS install of Win 7 Ultimate. I had an issue with the nVIDIA card I originally used so I moved on to an ATI HD card and haven't had any usses.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, just want to share my current success status on most of my work on the X58M Motherboard:

System:

MB: MSI X58M

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

RAM: 3x1 GB DDR3 1333 RAM

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 9500 GT on DVI

With this i have a working Snow Leo and Windows 7 on same HDD with 3 partitions, one for sharing files (fat 32) and one for windows (preinstalled) and one for mac.

Ok this is what i did to make it work:

1st i burned a cd with the Empire EFI v1.085 for intel core processors.zip

2nd i booted from the disc and then it prompts you to eject the disc and insert your retail Snow Leopard Disc, did that and everything went well with no panics.

3rd: installed Mac OS X 10.6 with no printer or extra languages

4th: rebooted and it gave me the no os found error (so it didnt boot to windows), turned off the PC and turned it back on so i can eject the disc from my pc.

5th: inserted the Empire EFI disc again and selected the Boot partition with mac on -v in case there was any panics, all booted fine to the welcome in lost of languages, now my resolution was the basic 1024 x 768 and the audio didnt work, the only thing working was the Ethernet adapter. I then installed the Myhack installer and went to update to the latest versions of everything til i got the 10.6.2 and rebooted

6th: On reboot i turned off the pc and turned it back on to eject the disc and after this the Chameleon boot came on along with my hack so i selected the windows and mac logos to make sure they booted fine and they did, then i went to Windows and ran the utcfix registry file that i got from the myhack website to Fix the Time change for every boot from mac to windows.

7th: booted to mac and downloaded the NVEnabler 64.kext from kexts.com and installed it with Kext Helper b7, rebooted and i was able to get the max resolution on my monitor which is: 1680x1050 and i can run VIDEOS now, on system profiler i can see the nvidia 9500 gt info but it doesnt run games well they have a very low frame rate.

8th: i then came here and saw this:

Any one with a EVGA x58 interested in 2 channel sound from the ALC889

Backup current appledha.kext and dhaenabler.kext if needed

run the package posted in this post. named AzaliaAudio.pkg Do not reboot after install

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOHDAudioCodecVendorID (press Ctrl + W)

<key>IOHDAudioCodecVendorID</key>

<string>0x10ecffff</string> ----------------->change to <string>0x10ec0889</string>

exit and save

sudo pico AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Search for IOPCIPrimaryMatch

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0xNNNN8086</string> (where NNNN are any 4 characters)

Change <string>0xNNNN8086</string> --------------->change to<string>0x3E3A8086 0x3A3E8086</string> (note not sure if its reverse bit but I put both in and it works)

Save and exit

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext

cd /System/Library

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

REboot

you system profiler will say no audio device but in system preferences you should have an audio output device.

Not perfect but better then nothing

Try it let me know if you have any luck with this method on evga x58 MB

digital_dreamer

Mar 24 2009, 01:26 AM

So i did all in the quoted text but i didnt get audio working after reboot, then i got this crazy idea of installing the realtek audio ALC850.pkg which i read on another thread so i download it and installed it, rebooted the PC and as Digital dreamer said there is nothing on system profiler but the audio is Now WORKING! on the realtek Hd Audio 8086

The only question i have is, is there something i can do to make my EVGA 9500 GT card run good for games? or if this is all it will do then there is no problem, since i wanted to use this mac for testing purposes and for running apps like pwnage tools and others that are unavailable in windows or too weird to use...

Good day people!

• 1 month later...

All of this information has been great. But I'm running into a few problems and I'm not sure what to do. I recently built my new system, i7 920 with a gigabyte ex58-ud5 mobo. All the drivers are new internal and my only other computer system is a powerbook g4 running Tiger 10.4.11 The methods described here won't allow me access to the terminal. I'm not sure how to go about installing OSX and currently don't have any other operating system installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.