Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Would anyone with the EVGA x58 board mind going over what exactly needs to be done to get OSx86 running? I got iPC 10.5.6 to install (on a secondary partition) with "busratio=18 cpus=1", but now I can't get it to boot the OS from the hard drive; it crashes and reboots, as it did before I specified those flags to the installer. Providing the same flags on startup doesn't fix it.

Hardware:

i7 920 @ 3.6GHz (18x200)

EVGA X58

8600 GTS [temporary, but I hear it works]

6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz

300GB VelociRaptor

Edit: Got it to install. Forgot to click "Customize". D'oh. Now I'm just stuck on the blue screen. Tried safe mode and single user mode; single user mode just takes longer to get to it. :thumbsup_anim: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would anyone with the EVGA x58 board mind going over what exactly needs to be done to get OSx86 running? I got iPC 10.5.6 to install (on a secondary partition) with "busratio=18 cpus=1", but now I can't get it to boot the OS from the hard drive; it crashes and reboots, as it did before I specified those flags to the installer. Providing the same flags on startup doesn't fix it.

Hardware:

i7 920 @ 3.6GHz (18x200)

EVGA X58

8600 GTS [temporary, but I hear it works]

6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz

300GB VelociRaptor

Edit: Got it to install. Forgot to click "Customize". D'oh. Now I'm just stuck on the blue screen. Tried safe mode and single user mode; single user mode just takes longer to get to it. ;) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have setup similar to yours.

Boot iPC 10.5.6 with busratio=20 cpus=1 (for you 18). Customize, select voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, (LAN) Realtek 1000, (Video) Latest NVIDIA kexts from Macbook Pro with support for GeForce 9xxx series. I did not install sound, so I kindda dunno (I use creative audigy 2 zs instead). Reboot, boot with just busratio. Grab Gigabyte GA pack zip on page 9 of this thread and get 9.6.0 voodoo from it; Put it in your / , replace necessary kernel line in boot.plist. Generate necessary gfx strings for your video. Working system :D

I have setup similar to yours.

Boot iPC 10.5.6 with busratio=20 cpus=1 (for you 18). Customize, select voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, (LAN) Realtek 1000, (Video) Latest NVIDIA kexts from Macbook Pro with support for GeForce 9xxx series. I did not install sound, so I kindda dunno (I use creative audigy 2 zs instead). Reboot, boot with just busratio. Grab Gigabyte GA pack zip on page 9 of this thread and get 9.6.0 voodoo from it; Put it in your / , replace necessary kernel line in boot.plist. Generate necessary gfx strings for your video. Working system :)

Great, thanks for your help! It boots now and seems to work, except I have no audio.

Has anyone gotten the EVGA Realtek ALC889a drivers working?

Great, thanks for your help! It boots now and seems to work, except I have no audio.

Has anyone gotten the EVGA Realtek ALC889a drivers working?

Glad to help :)

Sorry I can't be of more assistance with audio.

What settings did you do for OC? I haven't tried OC'ing this machine yet. Was thinking about doing a sweep through evga x58 forums to get my idea.

Glad to help :)

Sorry I can't be of more assistance with audio.

What settings did you do for OC? I haven't tried OC'ing this machine yet. Was thinking about doing a sweep through evga x58 forums to get my idea.

I had it at 200x18, with the CPU voltage at 1.475 (I think? Maybe a step lower.), RAM set to 2:8, API at double that, so the RAM ends up at 1600MHz (200 bclck * 8). Vdroop disabled, and the rest set to the first option the motherboard colors green in the selection. Here's a good reference.

Re: the audio troubles if anyone wants to help, I've tried a few kexts linked in this thread, to no avail.

JaE-v ,

I have Iatkos, What else would I need? Can I just boot it on to my vista 64 or boot it from the beginning? I notice alot of people talking about kext as well. Also, to answer your question, my setup cost $1058 at newegg. Thanks in advance. noticed you have been helping alot of people. We need more peeps like yo.

Also I stumbled on this. Would I be able to use and setup what this guy did? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYYCYTPyiI

what board do you have again?

Everyone with the evga x58 board should be able to use any of the latest distros. I prefer the iatkos disk but ipc will work as well.

Things to remember. Leave your bios alone, keep it at the stock one. Set all of your sata perifs to AHCI. In order to boot off the disks its mandatory you flag "busratio=20 cpus=1" due to the fact that most of the newer disks use the vanilla kernel to boot which we dont quite have support for just yet. Once booted make sure you select the 9.5.0 voodoo based kernel and either AHCI sata drivers or jmicron drivers if the ahci ones dont exist for your sata. If you have a 9 series nvidia card dont select any video drivers, just generate your strings later. Install then reboot. Once your rebooting into your install flag "busratio=20 if you didnt select video drivers also add "-x -v" so that you can generate them in safe mode after completing the setup process. Get your system up to date and grab that 9.6.0 kernel and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and your all set.

*using an usb audio adapter* still havent gotten onboard working yet or even tried because i dont need it

I don't think you need seatbelt.kext with 9.6.0, at least I didn't install it and everything works fine (iPC 10.5.6). It's necessary with voodoo 9.5.0 though.

I also have the latest evga x58 bios, I needed XMP support and default one didn't have it. Seems to work fine so far.

Ironically, my motherboard just died. Oh well, OSx86 was fun (although quiet) while it lasted. :)

Looking for a replacement - for a few minor reasons I'd like to try a different motherboard. Looking at the Foxconn Bloodrage (which, miraculously, Newegg has in stock) and a Gigabyte motherboard.

what board do you have again?

Everyone with the evga x58 board should be able to use any of the latest distros. I prefer the iatkos disk but ipc will work as well.

Things to remember. Leave your bios alone, keep it at the stock one. Set all of your sata perifs to AHCI. In order to boot off the disks its mandatory you flag "busratio=20 cpus=1" due to the fact that most of the newer disks use the vanilla kernel to boot which we dont quite have support for just yet. Once booted make sure you select the 9.5.0 voodoo based kernel and either AHCI sata drivers or jmicron drivers if the ahci ones dont exist for your sata. If you have a 9 series nvidia card dont select any video drivers, just generate your strings later. Install then reboot. Once your rebooting into your install flag "busratio=20 if you didnt select video drivers also add "-x -v" so that you can generate them in safe mode after completing the setup process. Get your system up to date and grab that 9.6.0 kernel and seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and your all set.

*using an usb audio adapter* still havent gotten onboard working yet or even tried because i dont need it

Hi JaE-V, would you say the evga x58 board is a bit less of a hassle to get Mac OS X running than the gigabyte boards?, I'm still undecided between the two brands, but feel optimistic about the evga based on your success

Hi JaE-V, would you say the evga x58 board is a bit less of a hassle to get Mac OS X running than the gigabyte boards?, I'm still undecided between the two brands, but feel optimistic about the evga based on your success

Adrian M all the i7 boards are able to run OSX its just how much work you want to do to get any of them working as of now im using the EVGA mobo i think it has the best use of space in the layout and overclocks very well.

Adrian M all the i7 boards are able to run OSX its just how much work you want to do to get any of them working as of now im using the EVGA mobo i think it has the best use of space in the layout and overclocks very well.

I second that, evga board layout is very nice and generally it's more or less painful to install 10.5 on it. Those were my original reasons for getting it and I haven't regretted my decision yet.

And yeah, as for different boards.. it's really all about the effort.

I don't think you need seatbelt.kext with 9.6.0, at least I didn't install it and everything works fine (iPC 10.5.6). It's necessary with voodoo 9.5.0 though.

I also have the latest evga x58 bios, I needed XMP support and default one didn't have it. Seems to work fine so far.

yea thats right, got that seatbelt thing backwards...in the past its always has been the safest practice for me to leave the bios alone...good to know it doesnt break anything ;)

RMA your rampage board?

Think i'm gonna reinstall once 10.5.7's released

yea thats right, got that seatbelt thing backwards...in the past its always has been the safest practice for me to leave the bios alone...good to know it doesnt break anything ;)

RMA your rampage board?

Think i'm gonna reinstall once 10.5.7's released

No did not RMA my rampage I traded with a friend that had the evga and anyone that has the asus rampage full sound is working look for post made by TheKing he fixed it i am on my iPhone so I can't link it no copy/paste

4870 totally owns 9800GTX+~ Be it AA or FPS, 4870 is way ahead of 9800GTX+

Do take note of the heat, as well as the ATI CCC 9.3 for Windows 7 (I m dualbooting W7 and MacOSX), and lastly, the power connectors (8pins) for 4870. Hope these can be some help to u~ ;)

Its working!!! This is my first post here and I'm happy to report that after investing more then $1000, my system is up and running. I would like to thank everyone in this forum (thanks JaE-V), the distro developers, and everyone involved with getting this done. Thank you all!!!

It seems as if things are running expect for a few hiccups. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having an issue which I believe has to do with my video card? I OSX menu bar is a grey dimmed color as opposed to the usual black. Also desktop looks grainy at 1900x1200 . I have used osx helper, downloaded the suggested driver and installed, no good. I've tried both nvidiainstaller 3.0 and 2.0 tried both Nvinject 0.2.0, Nvinject 0.2.1 with the 256 option, no good. I've tried removing kexts from system>extensions "Nvinject" and receipts folder and reinstalling, no good. I've even tried installing kext through Osx helper, nope. I did have a little luck with an older installer, nvidia installer .52 i believe. Checked vanilla and nvinjectGO(didn't have 256 option) with some results. Same issue as before until I open up safari and instantaneously the OSX menu turns the black that it should be. Rebooted, nope, until i open safari. Yikes!!

The second issue pertains to ram and getting it to post in system profiler. Its saying DDR2 at 0MHz. The ram is DDR3 and read that is will be addressed in the next mac 10.5.7 update? I 'm running bios version SZ21. Any suggestions.

Help, I'm so close.

Its working!!! This is my first post here and I'm happy to report that after investing more then $1000, my system is up and running. I would like to thank everyone in this forum (thanks JaE-V), the distro developers, and everyone involved with getting this done. Thank you all!!!

It seems as if things are running expect for a few hiccups. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having an issue which I believe has to do with my video card? I OSX menu bar is a grey dimmed color as opposed to the usual black. Also desktop looks grainy at 1900x1200 . I have used osx helper, downloaded the suggested driver and installed, no good. I've tried both nvidiainstaller 3.0 and 2.0 tried both Nvinject 0.2.0, Nvinject 0.2.1 with the 256 option, no good. I've tried removing kexts from system>extensions "Nvinject" and receipts folder and reinstalling, no good. I've even tried installing kext through Osx helper, nope. I did have a little luck with an older installer, nvidia installer .52 i believe. Checked vanilla and nvinjectGO(didn't have 256 option) with some results. Same issue as before until I open up safari and instantaneously the OSX menu turns the black that it should be. Rebooted, nope, until i open safari. Yikes!!

The second issue pertains to ram and getting it to post in system profiler. Its saying DDR2 at 0MHz. The ram is DDR3 and read that is will be addressed in the next mac 10.5.7 update? I 'm running bios version SZ21. Any suggestions.

Help, I'm so close.

Delete all those injectors like nvinject, nvkush, and anyothers if they exist and start here:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

Download the first file which is the generic for 256mb cards and go from there, instructions are written well

4870 totally owns 9800GTX+~ Be it AA or FPS, 4870 is way ahead of 9800GTX+

Do take note of the heat, as well as the ATI CCC 9.3 for Windows 7 (I m dualbooting W7 and MacOSX), and lastly, the power connectors (8pins) for 4870. Hope these can be some help to u~ :rolleyes:

I'm aware of the windows performance, was wondering if any benches have been done for OS X. ATI drivers in the past have been a little better performance wise.

Help, I'm so close.

Yeah my 1600 ddr3 shows up as ddr2 0mhz too, same BIOS. I don't think there's any performance penalty or anything.. it just can't properly identify it. I think it's because of SZ21 bios actually. Maybe has to do with memory running with XMP, dunno.

Update....

Graphics issue was resolved by removing all injectors and creating a string via osx86helper. Thanks guys.

I did a fresh reinstall and downloaded "Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard kexts (now includes Voodoo-based 9.6.0 kernel). (4.1MB)" pack from page 9. Installed the kernel "mach_kernel.voodoo" through osx86helper from that pack (correct me if I'm wrong) which is I believe is the 9.6.0 kernel although it says 9.5.0 in osx86helper. Not sure why that is. Installed IONetworkingFamily.kext to get time machine to work. Run OSx updates through Software Updater.. It downloaded, installed and then hung up on restart. Forced a Shut-down, rebooted (with busratio=20), it seems to have updated per software updater.. Disabled sleep and monitor sleep in energy saver as it would freeze my computer. Only Screen saver.

Wanted to see if anyone with a similar set-up added any of the other .kexts (i.e. system.kext, JMicronATA.kext) from the pack or if there is anything else I should add?

Much appreciated!

Hello,

My monitor activity only show 4 CPU ... But i thought that with multithreading (smt activated in the bios) my core i7 920 will show me 8 cores ??

Activity monitor is off, download istat pro, that'll show you all your 8 cores active. If it doesnt then get worried ;)

Update....

Graphics issue was resolved by removing all injectors and creating a string via osx86helper. Thanks guys.

I did a fresh reinstall and downloaded "Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard kexts (now includes Voodoo-based 9.6.0 kernel). (4.1MB)" pack from page 9. Installed the kernel "mach_kernel.voodoo" through osx86helper from that pack (correct me if I'm wrong) which is I believe is the 9.6.0 kernel although it says 9.5.0 in osx86helper. Not sure why that is. Installed IONetworkingFamily.kext to get time machine to work. Run OSx updates through Software Updater.. It downloaded, installed and then hung up on restart. Forced a Shut-down, rebooted (with busratio=20), it seems to have updated per software updater.. Disabled sleep and monitor sleep in energy saver as it would freeze my computer. Only Screen saver.

Wanted to see if anyone with a similar set-up added any of the other .kexts (i.e. system.kext, JMicronATA.kext) from the pack or if there is anything else I should add?

Much appreciated!

in order to switch to the other kernel you have to edit your boot.plist in library/preferences/system configuration/

change where it says "custom" to "mach_kernel" reason being is becuase the iatkos installation protects your current kernel durring os updates so your system is brick proof after software updates. What update were you installing when your system hung? 10.5.6? If so then, make sure you have disabler.kext in your extensions folder as well as dsmos.kext and smbiosefi.kext. Most of the time the reason for crashing is due to the cputemp kext that the disabler disables. And for future reference, always download your delta and combo updaters directly from apple and install them.

Activity monitor is off, download istat pro, that'll show you all your 8 cores active. If it doesnt then get worried :wacko:

I have just tried istat (beautifull)but it's not working ...only 4 cores !(?)

I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P (very similar to ud5...).

somebody has tried ?