Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

@JaE-V

I was reading through the installation thread for the Asus P6T, and saw you had posted a few questions - which hadn't been answered. But I've also been led to think you're working on an EVGA... (you're sig perhaps? :censored2:)

So, I was wondering - were those questions still valid, or have you let go of those?

@anyone

Furthermore, I've gotten a weird thing - for me at least. Just did a vanilla install (10.5) this morning before leaving home, and after a quite successful install (still no network or sound, but that'll be okay), I tried patching my DSDT... But I couldn't run the script? I got a permission denied error, even when logged in as root. Anyone recognize this / have a solution? I had to do a manual user creation because of the "transfer data from another mac"-loop, and I thought that might be the cause, but I'm far from sure.. And I think I might enjoy a custom DSDT for an updated system.. ;)

(yes, I used the dot-slash in front; also - tabbing didn't fill in the file name as it usually does... and double-clicking from within Finder didn't work either)

Which script are you referring to?

And, what command does the error reference?

BTW, I noticed you weren't able to run the DSDT patcher. If you wish, you can try my patcher that includes the DSDT script. It will automatically delete the extra "alias" lines, as well. It's part of the post-patch, so you'll need to set up the folders with the kexts, etc. (put your kexts in the _to_install folders). I should have most of them already there. Let me know.

regards,

MAJ

Hi guys, ive finally assembled my new core i7 hack, running ipc+ seatbelt + hd48xx netkas. I just have two little problems, my dvd drive pioneer dvr216d isnt recognized after install, and when i launch temperature monitor to see the temp of my cores it only detect the hdd probes... If someone has the same prob a little help would be appreciated. Thanks :D

billou95 can you vive me list of kext witch you use? j have:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Intel i7 i920

Kingston 6GB DDR3 (3x2GB)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D Firmware Revision: 1.07

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 1GB

but when my system boot from EFI partition, hang on on ACPI (Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg)

Hey guys,

I have a it 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R MOBO

EVGA 9800 GXT

6gb RAM

I need to find out what I need to do to have MAC OSX as my OS. I will be running FCP 6.

PLease if somebody can give me a detailed description on what I have to do. I have been reading and am a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I have a it 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R MOBO

EVGA 9800 GXT

6gb RAM

I need to find out what I need to do to have MAC OSX as my OS. I will be running FCP 6.

PLease if somebody can give me a detailed description on what I have to do. I have been reading and am a bit confused. Thanks in advance.

Read, try, read, try.... read this topic have almost 1000 post...

I recommend: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...45&t=149505 se in post #301

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=528

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=509

j wish you a lot of patience :(

sorry but I hadn't needed to ask this yet. However when you say 9.5.0 kernel you mean voodoo or the second choice? Also by Nvidia graphics update do you mean the entire nvidia folder tab or do you mean the selection tab regarding 9xxx series cards? Sorry but I get half way in and I get this odd japanese language saying I need to reboot. I take it thats not good? Anyhow any extra details help. There are alot of varibles with this and its somewhat frustrating trying to get the guessing game right.

yea, only select the voodoo. And only the first one in the graphics options where it says "nvidia graphics update" make sure that's the only one checked. AHCI on, make sure of it. If that still doesnt get you booting, post the steps in what you did for your install so that everyone here may help you. Also put your machine specs in your signature. This also helps everyone help you

@JaE-V

I was reading through the installation thread for the Asus P6T, and saw you had posted a few questions - which hadn't been answered. But I've also been led to think you're working on an EVGA... (you're sig perhaps? :) )

So, I was wondering - were those questions still valid, or have you let go of those?

What questions, i ask alot of them lol. Only issue i havent sorted out is the ddr3 one. But since the new mac pro's have ddr3 i'm sure once 10.5.7 is out that'll be fixed :)

Hey guys,

I have a it 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R MOBO

EVGA 9800 GXT

6gb RAM

At which part do you get confused? Have you tried anything yet?

@ jimmy urine

"also as i stated before you can use ideneb 1.4 (10.5.6 ) because it has the voodoo kernel.

tell me how it went."

Would ideneb 1.4 (10.5.6) work with my whole set up ? I would rather reformat and install ideneb since I don't know how to delete kext files or efi strings , though I do know the info on how to is somewhere in these forums.

At which part do you get confused? Have you tried anything yet?

NO I have not. I have just been reading the different kinds of OSX out. Such as vanila and so forth. I am a little scared to do this unless I know exactly how to. Thanks

NO I have not. I have just been reading the different kinds of OSX out. Such as vanila and so forth. I am a little scared to do this unless I know exactly how to. Thanks

Just grab the ideneb or iatkos latest distros, install with the voodoo kernel and replace the kexts with the ones provided through the link at the first page of this thread. You can install them with osx86 tools or kext helper. Generate strings for your card and you should be just about set. Good job on your components, how much was your total on everything?

Just built a core i7 / GTX 285 rig and trying to get OSX on it, had Leo4all running on my late e8400/8800gts and it ran great.

I installed (went fine) iATKOS.5i.10.5.5 release and am freezing at the begining logo in the middle of it spinning up.

Heres my settings I used:

- Bootloader / PC EFI V9

- X86 Patches / Decrypters / AppleDecrypt

- X86 Patches / SMBIOS Drivers / SMBios Enablers / SMBios EFI

- X86 Patches / 9.5.0 Kernel Fassl

- X86 Patches / ACPI / Stock ACPI Modified

- X86 Patches / Disabler.kext

- X86 Patches / OHR

- Drivers / VGA / NVidia / NVKush

- Drivers / VGA / NVidia / EFI Strings For NVidia / 8xxx / 8400 GS 512 MB

- Drivers / System / SATA IDE / Intel AHCI Sata

- Drivers / Network / Realtek R1000

Did you flag "busratio=20"? Also try to flag "busratio=20 -x -v" and use the 9.5.0 voodoo kernel. Pull that GTX 285 out and use your 8400. Dont select those strings and an injector at the beginning of an install for your graphics. Just generate your strings later with EFI studio

@JaE-V

Sorry I forgot to delete that (-Drivers/VGA/Nvidia/EFI Strings For NVidia/8xxx/8400 gs 512 mb) part, I didnt select that at install but I did select the NVKush one.

Going to try the "busratio=20" and the other one you suggested, thanks.

Whats the fastest way to reformat ? zero out data or erase but keep data ? seems to me that the "keep data" wouldn't be the best way to make sure your install goes the best it can ?

Sorry if I'm getting off subject.

So I tried "busratio=20" didn't work and I tried "busratio=20 -x -v" and that got me to the registration screen which when I click on skip my computer fully shuts down, the last words are "cpu halted"

I have a 8800 and would really like not to pull my 285 out (It's pretty hard to get in and out since it's super long)

If I have to wait for better support for my 285 thats fine because I dont think it'll take that long.

But if someone has a i7 920 via a Gigabyte x58 UD3R and a gtx 285 with OSX running on it please let me know how you did it.

billou95 can you vive me list of kext witch you use? j have:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

Intel i7 i920

Kingston 6GB DDR3 (3x2GB)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D Firmware Revision: 1.07

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 1GB

but when my system boot from EFI partition, hang on on ACPI (Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1.0_Rev_A.dmg)

I used the Wolfie EFI Partition pack with all the needed kexts/kernel/bootloader for a retail install.

As already said you DEFINATELY NEED to get the following options in your bios setted up BEFORE making the EFI Partition. Also if your "efi partitionned" disk is not in master and you try to force boot on this disk by typing F12 at the post screen it wont work and you'll get the "still waiting for root device" error. You need to reconfigure your sata connectors on the motherboard. Mine is configure as this : 2 hard drives on the blue connectors and my optical drive on one of the white connectors and it will work like a charm.

I Suggest you to do a "Load optimized defaults" then configure this way :

SATA RAID/AHCI Setting : AHCI

SATA Native Mode : Enabled

SATA IDE Mode : AHCI

Good luck ! Feel free to ask any question :rolleyes:

Ok, I have a question.

Running 10.5.6 iPC on evga x58, i920, 9.5.0 voodoo kernel.

Activity monitor only gives me 1 cpu (and I don't have cpus=1 in my boot.plist).

Can I fix this? Or in other words, where did I screw up? ;)

Thanks.

post-180326-1236387346_thumb.png

Ok, I have a question.

Running 10.5.6 iPC on evga x58, i920, 9.5.0 voodoo kernel.

Activity monitor only gives me 1 cpu (and I don't have cpus=1 in my boot.plist).

Can I fix this? Or in other words, where did I screw up? :)

I have the same thing. I think Activity Monitor just can't fit 8 cores there. Select Window->CPU Usage and you should see all 8.

I have the same thing. I think Activity Monitor just can't fit 8 cores there. Select Window->CPU Usage and you should see all 8.

Oh yeah, that worked, thanks!

I also updated to 9.6.0 voodoo (from one of the links on page 9). But now my 1600 ddr3 is being read as 0mhz :)

Oh yeah, that worked, thanks!

I also updated to 9.6.0 voodoo (from one of the links on page 9). But now my 1600 ddr3 is being read as 0mhz :)

Upon the release of 10.5.7 we'll be able to use the vanilla kernel and hopefully all these cosmetic issues will be fixed. My memory is recognized as ddr2 but proper speeds however, remember what options you seleced durring install?

@JaE-V

Sorry I forgot to delete that (-Drivers/VGA/Nvidia/EFI Strings For NVidia/8xxx/8400 gs 512 mb) part, I didnt select that at install but I did select the NVKush one.

Going to try the "busratio=20" and the other one you suggested, thanks.

Whats the fastest way to reformat ? zero out data or erase but keep data ? seems to me that the "keep data" wouldn't be the best way to make sure your install goes the best it can ?

Sorry if I'm getting off subject.

So I tried "busratio=20" didn't work and I tried "busratio=20 -x -v" and that got me to the registration screen which when I click on skip my computer fully shuts down, the last words are "cpu halted"

I have a 8800 and would really like not to pull my 285 out (It's pretty hard to get in and out since it's super long)

If I have to wait for better support for my 285 thats fine because I dont think it'll take that long.

But if someone has a i7 920 via a Gigabyte x58 UD3R and a gtx 285 with OSX running on it please let me know how you did it.

There'll probably be no support for your card until snow leo is released. From my reading, snow leopard already has support for the GTX200 models. Cpu halted seems kernel related, try busratio=20 cpus=1 -x -v. Or even better, reinstall and select the voodoo 9.5 kernel.

Upon the release of 10.5.7 we'll be able to use the vanilla kernel and hopefully all these cosmetic issues will be fixed. My memory is recognized as ddr2 but proper speeds however, remember what options you seleced durring install?

Hey, thanks for instructions btw, helped a lot!

Okay, I installed 9.5.0 voodoo, Realtek1000, Nvidia Driver Pack (it's last option in the list - Latest NVIDIA kexts from Macbook Pro with support for GeForce 9xxx series) and some apps. I didn't bother installing sound since I have Creative Audigy 2 ZS lying around.

Then updated to 9.6.0, messed around with boot.plist to add support for my 8800gtx and 9800gtx+.

However I kind-of have a problem. After my last restart, my network is not working. It's showing up, however no connection is detected (basically says, cable is unplugged, but rx/tx lights are blinking). I tried removing Realtekr1000 driver, but the default AppleRTL8169something doesn't work either - again it sees the NIC, but it assigns 169.x.x.x IP to itself and there's nothing you can do. I also tried different Realtek drivers - both the original and psystar to no avail.

Kind-of stuck on this atm. Just did cmos reset and maybe will try to reinstall OS. Have you seen anything like this before? I've never seen this happening on my P35/EP45 boards. My BIOS is last one available. Also tried enabling wake-on-lan thingy / powering down for 2-3 minutes, but it didn't work. Very weird.

Anyway if this doesn't fly 'll just get an external gigabit NIC.

Hey, thanks for instructions btw, helped a lot!

Okay, I installed 9.5.0 voodoo, Realtek1000, Nvidia Driver Pack (it's last option in the list - Latest NVIDIA kexts from Macbook Pro with support for GeForce 9xxx series) and some apps. I didn't bother installing sound since I have Creative Audigy 2 ZS lying around.

Then updated to 9.6.0, messed around with boot.plist to add support for my 8800gtx and 9800gtx+.

However I kind-of have a problem. After my last restart, my network is not working. It's showing up, however no connection is detected (basically says, cable is unplugged, but rx/tx lights are blinking). I tried removing Realtekr1000 driver, but the default AppleRTL8169something doesn't work either - again it sees the NIC, but it assigns 169.x.x.x IP to itself and there's nothing you can do. I also tried different Realtek drivers - both the original and psystar to no avail.

Kind-of stuck on this atm. Just did cmos reset and maybe will try to reinstall OS. Have you seen anything like this before? I've never seen this happening on my P35/EP45 boards. My BIOS is last one available. Also tried enabling wake-on-lan thingy / powering down for 2-3 minutes, but it didn't work. Very weird.

Anyway if this doesn't fly 'll just get an external gigabit NIC.

thats weird, i've never had a single issue out of my network card. used the iatkos disk

@JaE-V

Thanks for the much needed help, I'll try what you have suggested.

I'll give ideneb 1.4 a try and the voodoo 9.5 kernel and no NVidia drivers yet.

no problem, let us know how it goes

thats weird, i've never had a single issue out of my network card. used the iatkos disk

no problem, let us know how it goes

Seems like it's a known Realtek problem. Here's a good description:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=949364

You are running a Realtek 8168, 8169, 8101 or 8111 chipset based card but the network doesn't work, but the driver reports that the interface is up and running. You are running dual boot Windows and Linux on your machine.

Reason

The Realtek Windows driver disables the NIC at Windows shutdown time. The current linux r8169 driver does not know how to turn on the NIC from this disabled state, therefor the device will not respond, even if the driver loads and reports that the device is up.

Workaround

Here are two workarounds for this issue:

1. You power down the machine completely and unplug the power supply for a few seconds (about 10 will do). This seems to reset the card and the Linux driver work until you boot Windows again.

2. You enable "Wake-on-lan after shutdown." in the Windows device manager. This prevents the Windows driver to disable the card.

Even if I don't run windows, the NIC went to sleep and none of the Linux or OSX drivers were able to wake it up. There is an official Linux driver (in source) which does wake up the card but I chose the simpler way and after 30 secs of powerdown, the card was up and running.

I'll report back if this works.

Edit: Yeah it works, however make sure it's more than 2 minutes and make sure you disconnect the power cable. But yeah, very weird problem.

Tried ideneb 1.4 and selected just the voodoo kernal , alc888, r1000, additional fonts and all the extra programs that comes with it and it installed fine but even with "busratio=20" and "busratio=20 cpu=1 -x -v" I got the " still waiting for root device".

I also tried re-installing iAtkos 5i with the Voodoo kernal plus "busratio=20 cpu=1 -x -v" but I still cant get passed the registration.

Tried ideneb 1.4 and selected just the voodoo kernal , alc888, r1000, additional fonts and all the extra programs that comes with it and it installed fine but even with "busratio=20" and "busratio=20 cpu=1 -x -v" I got the " still waiting for root device".

Does the ideneb disk have have jmicron, intel sata, or AHCI sata drivers? You select any?

An earlier poster mentioned trying to build a hackintosh with the DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8 . I'm particularly interested in this because of how easily its capable of running at a FSB speed of 2000mhz... anyone had any luck with getting an install to work with this mobo?

JaE-v ,

I have Iatkos, What else would I need? Can I just boot it on to my vista 64 or boot it from the beginning? I notice alot of people talking about kext as well. Also, to answer your question, my setup cost $1058 at newegg. Thanks in advance. noticed you have been helping alot of people. We need more peeps like yo.

Also I stumbled on this. Would I be able to use and setup what this guy did? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYYCYTPyiI

has anyone been able to get an I7 system working WITH a bootable software RAID 0?

I have tried just about everything I can think of and im having no luck...

also, i have another question..

I have been reading on here and everywhere that you need AHCI enabled in the bios to install and run osx86. i didnt know this when i first installed on this I7 system..and i was using a IDE dvd drive for install..

i tried switching the system to AHCI and i got a "waiting for root device" upon boot..

i figured it was because the install was when i was using IDE...so i ran and picked up a SATA dvd drive and reinstalled just how I had done it many times before:

I installed XXX_10.5.6_leo:

9.5.0 voodoo kernel

EFI v9

Jmicron ATA

intel ich10r

RTL8111

Old APIC/ACPI

runs great using busratio=19 and cpu=1 flags

do DSDT patch, all 8 cores work, no CPU flag needed. runs like hell!

so....after not being able to get AHCI working on this XXX install....i tried installing iatkos and it restarted in the middle of install(about to try again).is it worth me even going through all of this trouble to get AHCI enabled?

are most people installing both the jmicron AND ich10r kexts?

another issue at startup...its going fine...then theres a long pause where its waiting for something then:

"kextd[10] IOKitwaitquiet timed out waiting to write kernel"

then a couple more seconds go by and it says something like "interface namer timed out could not update platform"

(i didnt have a way to take pics yet and didnt write it down, sorry for not being exact on the messages)

...it really slows down the boot, wondering if theres a way to eliminate it.

i noticed that when i changed my bios settings to turn APIC off, it booted extremely quickly (but my DSDT patch wouldnt work anymore and therefore i only had 1 core)

my system consists of:

i7 920

MSI x58 Pro

6gb wintec 1600

ATI Radeon 4850 (CF with a 4830 but it doesnt do anything in osx)

XBENCH score:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=350749

GEEKBENCH score:

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/114983

one last question..i was noticing that the people with i7s that posted scores on geekbench have different bus speeds than me...

is that bus speed referring to anything? mine is at 532 and higher scoring PCs listed bus speeds at 740 and 780...same chip.

then again, i saw someone with a bus speed of 227 something with the chip at 4.34ghz..

does this bus speed listing in geekbench tell us anything about their computer?

thanks for any help that you all can offer...this is an awesome forum..i just got into osx86 recently and now i run it on both of my computers full time! its great