Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Thanx for the tip friend! Just did it and it boots like a pro!

Fixed dmg mount kernel crashes too.

Here are the geekbench results!

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/98736

5508 Points!

Right in the middle of mac pro 2.8 and 3.0:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/06/mac...ance-june-2008/

Pretty good for its cost dont you think??? :):P:P

eeek yea somethings wrong, my current system scores almost a 7000 and i know yours is more powerful than mine.

The multiplier in BIOS is correct (as always) at 20.

Even i change the CPUs speed from BIOS its not recognized from any software, and the x-Cpu keeps telling that the multiplier is 20, so it gives me 2000Mhz only.

I really cant imagine where the problem is!

Apparently you can flash the standard MSI x58 platinum board with the bios from their new board the MSI x58 platinum SLI and it does a direct convert giving it SLI support.

I'm looking at the similarities

MSI platinum

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....um&class=mb

MSI platinum SLI

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....LI&class=mb

Looks the same to me lol, tempting

i downloaded it and put it in my EFi partition, but still no device found... what could it be? where did you put it?

Don't put the Azalia kext in the EFI partition, it won't load from there... just put it in the extensions folder of your real install!

you would be correct.... i have spent so many hours trying to get it working, and all it needed was for me to pull the plug for one minute..

yes i really need parallels to work, i have this blu ray drive doing nothing and i need anydvd hd to start ripping some movies..

VMWARE ?

maybe this was mentioned before...

kernel name needs to be mach_kernel instead of mach_kernel.voodoo etc? anyone?

http://www.infinitemac.com/showthread.php?p=20047

Don't put the Azalia kext in the EFI partition, it won't load from there... just put it in the extensions folder of your real install!

That worked half way! I now have volume control on the menu bar, and the System Preferences tells me I have an HD Audio Output device enabled. The system profile still says I don't have any internal audio device, but that doesn't count much I think.

The problem is that even setting all volumes to the maximum I still hear no sound at all! What jack did you attach your speakers to? What are your BIOS settings? Anything else might comes to your mind?

-Update-

Nevermind! For some reason the the headset jack on the front of the case doesn't work (even though it does work with Vista), I just have to use the one at the back.

Fantastic!

Next: sharing my experience, and getting Paralles to work.

That worked half way! I now have volume control on the menu bar, and the System Preferences tells me I have an HD Audio Output device enabled. The system profile still says I don't have any internal audio device, but that doesn't count much I think.

The problem is that even setting all volumes to the maximum I still hear no sound at all! What jack did you attach your speakers to? What are your BIOS settings? Anything else might comes to your mind?

well don't have that board... but an older asus one p5k-e...

Did you also remove it from the EFI partition and removed it from the mkext on the EFI parition? Otherwise both will conflict... l

The one on the EFI partition loads like halfway because of dependencies, therefor the one in my Native /System/Library/Extension doesn't load any further.

Also check that Applehda.kext is vanilla, and not patched with other stuff like ALCinejct, HDAEnabler... Taruga patchers...etc on my asus board its the green jack on the back of the board

Bios settings is just APPLEHDA instead of AC97, but thats only for audio routing through front panel headphone/mic port.

BTW

Do you already use a LegacyYukon2.kext instead of editing IONetworkFamily.kext?

I have sound now, see the update at the previous post :P

As for the Yukon2, the problem is that it needs IONetworkFamily.kext. So if you want to use LegacyYukon2.kext and have it boot from the EFi partition, you also have to put your existing IONetworkFamily.kext in the EFI partition. I don't know which option would be the best, what I did was to edit the AppleYukon2.kext plist inside the vanilla IONetworkFamily.kext and put the whole IONetworkFamily.kext in my EFI partition. Another solution (probably cleaner) would be to put both LegacyYukon2.kext and the vanilla IONetworkFamily.kext in the EFI.

I'm open to suggestions :)

I have sound now, see the update at the previous post :unsure:

As for the Yukon2, the problem is that it needs IONetworkFamily.kext. So if you want to use LegacyYukon2.kext and have it boot from the EFi partition, you also have to put your existing IONetworkFamily.kext in the EFI partition. I don't know which option would be the best, what I did was to edit the AppleYukon2.kext plist inside the vanilla IONetworkFamily.kext and put the whole IONetworkFamily.kext in my EFI partition. Another solution (probably cleaner) would be to put both LegacyYukon2.kext and the vanilla IONetworkFamily.kext in the EFI.

I'm open to suggestions :unsure:

about the Yukon2,

Its true LegacyYukon2.kext doesn't load from EFI, if you put IONetworkfamily.kext also in EFI partiton there is no use of the legacy kext anymore... because if the system is updated... it still uses the old IONETWORKIG one on the efi partition...

The nice thing about the LegacyYukon2.kext is that its just plist only injection, therefor it can stay in the native /System/Library/Extensions, with the ability to let the IONetworkingFamily.kext untouched and Updateable. So no matter if your running 10.5.0 - 10.5.x updates you don't need to re-edit! the IONetworkingFamily.kext family EVER again after updates! :D.

But it will leave you with a 'mix' of kexts spread over the EFI partition vs the Native Vanilla system.

The only thing that is really needed in the efi partion is dsmos... perhaps IntelCPUDisabler if you didn't patch DSDT.aml

Thats just my way...

Can anyone offer me any help in getting osx loaded on my setup.

MB: Asus Rampage II Extreme

CPU: i7 920

Video: GTX-280

6GB DDR3

I have tried kalyway 10.5.2 and Ideneb 10.5.5

They both install fine but get stuck on the white apple screen.

What settings should I select during installation?

What kernal should I be using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JN

jimmydigital00 you should try iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 i tried this release on a ASUS P6T and on my Asus Rampage II Extreme the only thing that was not working was Audio on Both Boards and SAS on the ASUS P6T

Heres the LINK to the Post ---> iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 and Make Sure you update the ISO with Both PPF Patches

And for Anyone Who wants to try OSX86 should Go For this release has lots of drivers.

Apparently you can flash the standard MSI x58 platinum board with the bios from their new board the MSI x58 platinum SLI and it does a direct convert giving it SLI support.

I'm looking at the similarities

MSI platinum

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....um&class=mb

MSI platinum SLI

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....LI&class=mb

Looks the same to me lol, tempting

I've tried this and it ~.does~ make SLI work.

However, you don't want to try it yet.

If you load the bios from the SLI version, SLI will be enabled and you'll get some extra bios options like overspeed protection disable. However, you'll also get random crashing. Loading the bios caused me random blue screens regardless of whether or not SLI was actually enabled.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3497444 has the results of someone's testing with the SLI bios. Apparently, after a few days of use it somehow damaged their board and they had to get it replaced. After I began getting BSODs, I flashed my bios back to normal and haven't had any more errors.

Also note that we don't know if the Platinum and Platinum SLI do have the same exact components. People have been assuming that they do, because of the photos on the MSI website. But MSI is actually using the exact same image for both products, not two different photos of products that look the same. So everyone has been assuming that the boards are actually physically identical, but I think that there are probably some slight differences but MSI was too lazy to take a different photo.

Additionally I haven't even seen the SLI version for sale anywhere, so there's nowhere else to get photos from to compare. Maybe Platinum SLI doesn't actually exist yet and that bios is a beta? It's all pretty strange.

RE: Automatic USB & FireWire device handling on Gigabyte boards.

(I don't know if this is a issue on the other motherboards, as I haven't heard)

The only way I've been able to get USB and FireWire devices to be handled properly (automatically) in the OS (mounting, etc.) is to have the Voodoo System.kext installed in the normal S/L/E directory, in place of the vanilla kext. Once these System.kexts have been relocated/renamed, make sure permissions are correct/repaired and reboot.

I think just having one modified kext in the vanilla install is a small price to pay for this added functionality. If a software update happens to replace this kext (not likely), you'll just lose automatic USB and FireWire mounting/handling again. Simply relocate/rename the System.kexts as before.

In spite of the fact that the Voodoo System.kext version on the EFI partition matches the kernel, the kernel still appears to look to the System.kext located in the normal location (S/L/E) for its resources. You'll especially notice error references to S/L/E/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext on occasion in the Console.

As an aside, renaming the kernel as just "mach_kernel" without the .voodoo extension, as suggested previously, allows the system to boot with the VMware extensions. However, I'm not able to install an OS without a KP due to the vmnet.kext

regards,

MAJ

RE: Automatic USB & FireWire device handling on Gigabyte boards.

(I don't know if this is a issue on the other motherboards, as I haven't heard)

The only way I've been able to get USB and FireWire devices to be handled properly (automatically) in the OS (mounting, etc.) is to have the Voodoo System.kext installed in the normal S/L/E directory, in place of the vanilla kext. Once these System.kexts have been relocated/renamed, make sure permissions are correct/repaired and reboot.

I think just having one modified kext in the vanilla install is a small price to pay for this added functionality. If a software update happens to replace this kext (not likely), you'll just lose automatic USB and FireWire mounting/handling again. Simply relocate/rename the System.kexts as before.

I spite of the fact that the Voodoo System.kext version on the EFI partition matches the kernel, the kernel still appears to look to the System.kext located in the normal location (S/L/E) for its resources. You'll especially notice error references to S/L/E/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext on occasion in the Console.

As an aside, renaming the kernel as just "mach_kernel" without the .voodoo extension, as suggested previously, allows the system to boot with the VMware extensions. However, I'm not able to install an OS without a KP due to the vmnet.kext

regards,

MAJ

Good job MAJ!

It seems that this all can be fixed when the Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel comes out. I wonder if this is an issue for Munkey. Would this same issue occur if using Chameleon/PCEFI with Extensions installed in Extra folder.

I fixed it!

I just installed the FInal version of voodoo frome here:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

And now x-cpu reads corectly the speed and the multiplier, even with overclock.

With overclocked CPU at 3Ghz I get 8310 Geekbench points as an 3ghz mac pro. Cheers guys!

Bravo! Rock and roll.

Good job MAJ!

It seems that this all can be fixed when the Voodoo 9.6.0 kernel comes out. I wonder if this is an issue for Munkey. Would this same issue occur if using Chameleon/PCEFI with Extensions installed in Extra folder.

I wondered if Munky has run into this issue, because of the unique nature of this boot process and I have no idea about the other loaders with that Extra folder. Good question. I've read through those posts on occasion and haven't read about any similar complaints.

I'm with you that it'll be fixed in a few weeks with the next release.

regards.

MAJ

EDIT: Left a note on Munky's Boot from EFI guide. He'll probably respond that he's already on top of this. ;)

well don't have that board... but an older asus one p5k-e...

Did you also remove it from the EFI partition and removed it from the mkext on the EFI parition? Otherwise both will conflict... l

The one on the EFI partition loads like halfway because of dependencies, therefor the one in my Native /System/Library/Extension doesn't load any further.

Also check that Applehda.kext is vanilla, and not patched with other stuff like ALCinejct, HDAEnabler... Taruga patchers...etc on my asus board its the green jack on the back of the board

Bios settings is just APPLEHDA instead of AC97, but thats only for audio routing through front panel headphone/mic port.

BTW

Do you already use a LegacyYukon2.kext instead of editing IONetworkFamily.kext?

u mean for front audio jack to work, in bios u just set to HDA audio instead of AC97? Am i correct?

@ M J

Is it possible to list/ share all the kexts you used on your EFI partition? I think it will work for P6T/Rampage2Ex user. ;)

I fixed it!

I just installed the FInal version of voodoo frome here:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

And now x-cpu reads corectly the speed and the multiplier, even with overclock.

With overclocked CPU at 3Ghz I get 8310 Geekbench points as an 3ghz mac pro. Cheers guys!

I wonder if this is the version on the ipc 10.5.6 disk

I've tried this and it ~.does~ make SLI work.

However, you don't want to try it yet.

If you load the bios from the SLI version, SLI will be enabled and you'll get some extra bios options like overspeed protection disable. However, you'll also get random crashing. Loading the bios caused me random blue screens regardless of whether or not SLI was actually enabled.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3497444 has the results of someone's testing with the SLI bios. Apparently, after a few days of use it somehow damaged their board and they had to get it replaced. After I began getting BSODs, I flashed my bios back to normal and haven't had any more errors.

Also note that we don't know if the Platinum and Platinum SLI do have the same exact components. People have been assuming that they do, because of the photos on the MSI website. But MSI is actually using the exact same image for both products, not two different photos of products that look the same. So everyone has been assuming that the boards are actually physically identical, but I think that there are probably some slight differences but MSI was too lazy to take a different photo.

Additionally I haven't even seen the SLI version for sale anywhere, so there's nowhere else to get photos from to compare. Maybe Platinum SLI doesn't actually exist yet and that bios is a beta? It's all pretty strange.

Thanks for this, how's your install looking?

THEHAWKs

Thanks for this I will try it today.

Can you tell me what drivers and settings you selected for the rampage II extreme to work?

Also, what video driver do you recommend for a GTX-280?

Thanks again

JN

When i was looking at what gpu to get, it wasnt supported, but that may have changed and its got more chance at being supported than the radeon 47XX family due to apples recent love with nvidia....

i havent test that kext.. but thx greatly..

is there any pci-e x1 based sound card that works on osx?

i use a sound blaster audigy 2, not pci-e x1 but just pci and it works brilliant due to these drivers!