Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Update, the struggle for a Boot-132 Install on Asus P6T Deluxe with Core i7 920:

A user here at the forum built for me a boot-132 CD with the Voodoo 9.5 kernel. At the boot prompt, after switching the CD with the Retail Leopard DVD, I type

rd(0,1)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v rd=disk111s1 cpus=1 busratio=20

That brings me a little further, more precisely here:

MG_0247_v0.jpg

My SATA hard drives are set to AHCI in the bios, any idea on what next...?

Update, the struggle for a Boot-132 Install on Asus P6T Deluxe with Core i7 920:

A user here at the forum built for me a boot-132 CD with the Voodoo 9.5 kernel. At the boot prompt, after switching the CD with the Retail Leopard DVD, I type

MG_0247_v0.jpg

disk111s1, are you sure that is right? Usually, disks are named disk0 and increase by one (disk1, disk2, etc...)

You probably are also either not using a proper kext, or it has dependancies that are missing.

For me, I can boot a retail disk with no boot flags using the the Boot-132 method. Even if you need to use a particular boot flag, you should not need to specify rd when attempting to install from a retail disk. All that I think you may need is "cpus=1 busratio=20". I don't have a P6T so I am just guessing here. I need to use the busratio=20 flag normally, but I do not use the voodoo kernel on my boot-132 disk so it's not required.

Have you been able to boot to a modified install? (kalyway, iDeneb, iPC, etc...) What are you trying to accomplish? Retail install with EFI partition boot?

MG_0247_v0.jpg

maybe IOAHCIBlockstorage is the problem!

OS can therefor not find itself on the harddisk...

Are you using vanilla ahci kexts?

Or are you using patched?

Legacy IOLegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATA.kext

try without them...

hmmm my system is getting stranger, and more annoying by the minute.....

been through a couple of re-installs etc and i still could not get my ethernet working again. so i tried the new efi script v3... gotta say that i dont usually use scripts such as these due to my insecurities lol, but its well written! anyways i couldnt get it to boot with the intital kexts on the efi partiton so i went in and removed the ones i dont need such as audio and the ata kexts and it booted..... but still no ethernet!!!! arrrghhh. is there some sort of activation procedure to do or did it just work straight away for you guys?

MG_0247_v0.jpg

rd=disk111s1 LOL!

Maybe you mean: disk3s1?

Do you have your SATA disk plugged into the white connectors?

What Nvidia graphics card do you have?

regards,

MAJ

hmmm my system is getting stranger, and more annoying by the minute.....

been through a couple of re-installs etc and i still could not get my ethernet working again. so i tried the new efi script v3... gotta say that i dont usually use scripts such as these due to my insecurities lol, but its well written! anyways i couldnt get it to boot with the intital kexts on the efi partiton so i went in and removed the ones i dont need such as audio and the ata kexts and it booted..... but still no ethernet!!!! arrrghhh. is there some sort of activation procedure to do or did it just work straight away for you guys?

What board and LAN chipset do you have, again?

I'd assume you have that LAN driver installed?

When you do a kextstat in Terminal, do you see your Ethernet driver appearing in the list of loaded kexts? If you know the name of that kext/driver, do a kextload "name of kext/driver" (without the quotes) and see if it appears/works.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT:

BTW, most of the kexts we have posted here are what we know works with the Gigabyte board. Those with working ASUS board setups need to post what set works for them so that others don't have to keep reinventing the wheel. It'll save a lot of work and frustration.

digital dreamer,

just a question for you :)

i think you can consider successfull your try on i7. If you can timecapsuling to the past, wich part you should change ? some suggest for those who have to build up a i7 hardware list?

what final consideration of i7 plattform on daily use of a mac (like photoshop, you tested other software? )

Tnx a lot

Best

nick

digital dreamer,

just a question for you :star_smile:

i think you can consider successfull your try on i7. If you can timecapsuling to the past, wich part you should change ? some suggest for those who have to build up a i7 hardware list?

what final consideration of i7 plattform on daily use of a mac (like photoshop, you tested other software? )

Tnx a lot

Best

nick

As far as to what I would change? Nothing. :2cents: There's very little one can change. I expected issues and will continue to expect them. Actually, I didn't expect that we would have made the progress we have made at this point. Didn't think we could run OS X on Core i7 at first, given the new CPU, Northbridge and non-existent FSB.

However, if there's something that needs to be said, it's this:

For those without computer hardware/software experience and are not willing or prepared to read, research, and troubleshoot issues for days, even without finding a desirable solution, this project is NOT for you. A real Macintosh from Apple would be the best course. If you want a system that, for the most part, just works, with the least amount of maintenance, then get a real Mac. If you don't want to tinker and learn about Mac OS X and rather spend your time on other pursuits, then consider spending a little more $$$ on something authentic.

The Mac OS x86 project is a work in progress, and will always be. This is true especially since Apple, in its deserved right, is always changing hardware specifications and OS internals. However, as noted by many who have been here for several years, this project has made great strides and has simplified the preparation and install of OS X in non-Apple hardware. No doubt, this progress has contributed to the large influx of newbies with no prior experience desiring to try their hand at this. This isn't, in itself, a problem. We want and encourage others to dig in. It is, after all, better than watching TV. :P

The big issue is when people start threads and send PMs with questions that have already been answered. And, asking questions without providing any details whatsoever regarding what they have, their computer specifications, what they have done/tried, what were the results (in details!!!) of what they tried. We can't magically figure out what the issue is without these details. What usually happens when a question is asked about why something doesn't work, is that we are forced to ask in return a dozen more questions and basically do all the work investigating. A typical conversation goes like this: "Try this <thing>." "I've already tried that!" "Really?" "And, what happened when you tried that?" "Nothing!" "Seriously? Nothing?! Just because it didn't do what you expected or wanted, doesn't mean it didn't do anything." "Well, okay. It did this <thing>." "Oh, well, there you go. Here's the issue..." Why do we have to drag out the answer? It's so frustrating. It's like talking to a sulking teenager that doesn't want to talk or cooperate. Yet, they are the ones wanting a solution.

This type of response creates delays in solutions and frustration for both parties. It would be nice if users would provide all such information up front (fantasy, I know). The fact that such detailed information is not provided up front reveals how little some appreciate the multitude of details that go into a working system. Get a Mac! Because if you manage to get it working now, will you be able to keep it working? :thumbsup_anim:

I started here as a newbie 1.5 months ago. I spent 2 weeks just reading and researching each evening on these forums before gathering hardware. I was prepared to be frustrated and spend much time scouring the net for answers. I also expected that I may have to lay new ground and take the path less traveled in search for answers to unique problems, which meant digging deep into the gritty internals, rather than expecting others to do that work for me. Fortunately, I didn't have to do much, as most of this work has already been done by incredibly talented teams and individuals.

For those that may think that I and a few others are "lucky" to have a working system - you're mistaken. (I've had to clear the CMOS three times today just to get my LAN running again. But, I had these issues because I'm trying different combinations of kexts to solve a few problems, like TM and mounting FW and USB devices.) Surely, some have a more compatible motherboard and the ASUS users have unique issues to deal with. Additionally, I've worked with Macs for some twenty years in a professional environment as a IT lead. But the real difference is that us few "lucky" ones have banged our heads longer and harder and haven't given up. We read the manuals, not skimped through them. We read the threads and posts carefully, not skimped through them. We made a point to understand what we are reading, not expect others to take time out to regurgitate what has already been posted. We weren't afraid to try various ideas and take note of the results, then let other know of our findings. We decided we would be part of the team and solution, with something to contribute.

So, what I would change? Nothing. :) I expect issues and will continue to expect them. The Core i7 platform is maturing rapidly in this Mac OS x86 environment. Look at the progress that has been made in just the past month. When Apple releases the new Mac Pros in January, I expect even more progress, hopefully making for a stable and fully operational system.

Here's to a great future for Mac OS X on Core i7.

kind regards,

MAJ

P.S. You can skimp through all that. :P I didn't mean for it to be so long!

rd=disk111s1 LOL!

regards,

MAJ

I do mean 111! The thing is that when I do the switch, Darwin prompt suggests me that i boot from hd(111,1) MAC OS X blah blah blah DVD... so that's what i put there! The DVD drive is connected to SATA port 6 (I have 6 SATA ports on my MB, the first 2 are taken by two twin HDD, the 6th by the DVD and the rest of them are empty... all of them are of a kind of reddish orange color, no white here!)

Now, i know it's strange, but if when it asks me the two digits code i put 80, as my first HDD, I get a hd(0,1) SAMSUNG HD blah blah blah... I'll try a disk3s1 and see what happens anyway.

Oh and I have a GF 9800 GTX+.

You probably are also either not using a proper kext, or it has dependancies that are missing.

For me, I can boot a retail disk with no boot flags using the the Boot-132 method. Even if you need to use a particular boot flag, you should not need to specify rd when attempting to install from a retail disk. All that I think you may need is "cpus=1 busratio=20". I don't have a P6T so I am just guessing here. I need to use the busratio=20 flag normally, but I do not use the voodoo kernel on my boot-132 disk so it's not required.

Have you been able to boot to a modified install? (kalyway, iDeneb, iPC, etc...) What are you trying to accomplish? Retail install with EFI partition boot?

Without using the voodoo kernel I wasn't able to get to that point, since my system would reboot right after it loaded the kexts from the DVD. But now that I think about it, I dind't even use the cpus and busratio flags. Maybe that was the real reason. Which iso have you succesfully used?

I haven't tried any modified install, I bought the original Leopard DVD and I want a clean install, so Retail with EFi partition is my goal. I'm also downloading iDeneb, but I want to keep it as the last thing.

So you are saying that rd is necessary only if I want to call a partition on a HDD, but since the voodoo kernel and the install files are supposed to come from the same drive I don't need it, have I understood correctly?

maybe IOAHCIBlockstorage is the problem!

OS can therefor not find itself on the harddisk...

Are you using vanilla ahci kexts?

Or are you using patched?

Legacy IOLegacyAppleAHCIPort.kext

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

LegacyJMicronATA.kext

try without them...

I didn't put IOAHCIBlockStorage in the boot disc, I only have IOAHCIFamily and AppleAHCIPort. That is another thing to check, maybe it can't find that kext.

As for you second question, I don't really have a precise answer at the moment. I used the generic.iso provided in the forum, deleted the kexts i didn't think I needed and added a few other found in the forum, or substituted some with the one modified for ICH10 chipset. I can't recover exactly which ones i used right now... But for sure I didn't use any Legacyetc kext (you are talking about the "fake plist" right?).

This is what I had in the iso:

AppleACPIPlatform

AppleAHCIPort

ApppleAPIC

AppleAzaliaAudio (this one is for the line-out for our audio controller)

AppleIntegratedFramebuffer (don't really know what it is for, but I left it there)

AppleSMBIOS

dsmos

IntelCPUPMDisabler

IOAHCIFamily

IONetworkingFamily

NVinject

SMBIOSEnabler

I also think it might be important to say that I have both ACPI APIC and ACPI 2.0 enabled in the MB, and I activated only 1 core and disabled HT. At the moment I also disabled both LAN ports.

Snick,

I have been using Macs for nearly 15 years now, and have been installing Mac OS X on PC's for quite some time now. I just wanted to let you know I'm not some noob with OSx86. See my signature for my current OSx86 PC.

The choice to go with the i7 Platform took some time due to the fact that OSx86 was not really fully tested when I decided to purchase the new motherboard/cpu. The decision between the different motherboard brands was quite simple though. Gigabyte and Intel brands usually are the closest to a vanilla system you will get. That means minimal modification to the system and better stability (and simpler installs for that reason). Unfortunately the Intel motherboard was feature limited and that made me choose the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. It was a great choice. I had the system up an running within a few hours with very little documentation of what kernel extensions were required. The JaS 10.5.2 packages had the system fairly functional. It was only when I didn't let well enough alone that I started to have issues. Thank Digital Dreamer for doing a lot of testing to find out what works and what doesn't. It seems he is a perfectionist like me.

Here is my list of i7 compatible motherboard recommendations/criticisms (In order of my preference/opinion):

• Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME/GA-EX58-UD5:
    This motherboard, from personal knowledge, works well with OSx86. All chipsets are working with almost 100% functionality. I would recommend this motherboard for most OSx86 users.
    ASUS P6T Deluxe:
    This board has been giving some users issues, but I believe this will fixed in the near future. The more popular the board becomes, the more OSx86 developer will work on it.
    MSI X58 Eclipse/Platinum
    This is a fairly new motherboard and I only recommend this if you are willing to work on it (or wait for someone else to). It has much potential, but the user base is very small now, so only time will tell.
    EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1:
    I normally don't recommend EVGA anything, but it seems that this board does have some nice features. Other than Intel ICH10R, I do not see any other detailed information about what chipsets are used. Due to this fact I would not recommend this motherboard for first-timers. Also, the motherboard has it's own fan, so those who wish for a quiet motherboard need not apply.
    Intel DX58SO Extreme Series:
    Do not purchase this motherboard. It is overpriced and underpowered. Most noticeably is the 4 RAM slots for a triple channel motherboard (Max 16GB - not triple channel).

Either way, you will have some work ahead of you. If you choose a path less chosen, then do us a favor and post your problems, solutions, and any methods you used to get Mac OS X working on your motherboard. This way, any users that decide to get the same hardware as you will have much fewer headaches than you had.

Honestly, you will be surprised with the speed of this processor (the 920 is still extremely fast - especially for the price). You don't need the 965 or 940 for a great system. I would roughly compare the 920/940 easily to a 2.8/3.0GHz 8-core MacPro. It's amazing that you can easily get the performance of a MacPro for under $1000, less if you already have most of the hardware (excluding MB/CPU/RAM)

For those that may think that I and a few others are "lucky" to have a working system - you're mistaken. (I've had to clear the CMOS three times today just to get my LAN running again. But, I had these issues because I'm trying different combinations of kexts to solve a few problems, like TM and mounting FW and USB devices.)

No luck with the USB/FW I assume... Are you sure you are looking in the right place? I don't think it's the modified kext you are using... I think it's most likely a modified kext we are not using. I want to see what IORegistryExplorer has to say about the USB ports... Have you looked into patched IOUSBFamily.kexts (or do they even exist)?

Hi all,

Another success story here aftr a few days of trials and errors. Thanks to wolfienuke's latest script, it was actually extremely (and I really mean it) easy to get things going... after the struggle of getting an initial Leopard install working. The brief story...

System Spec:

i7 920 (running at stock speed, for now)

Gigabyte UD5 (F4 BIOS, F3 was very very buggy)

6GB RAM

2x 300GB Velociraptors (very very fast)

1x 400GB Seagate

Galaxy 9800GTX+ 512MB

LG iHAS120 DVD Drive

Cooler Master Cosmo 1000 Case

Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 PSU

I had a lot of difficulties initially trying Kalyway, Retail boot, iATKOS etc. Somehow, I can never get the Kalyway disc to burn right (so it always says EBIOS READ Errors). The retail boot with boot 132 CD doesn't work either (the retail DVD will load and then hang at some point). After many trial with iATKOS 5i, I got it to work with a specific combination of packages/extensions and BIOS settings. Initially, it would always "instant reboot" after successful installation. I later found out that disabling the JMicron controller alleviated the problem (frankly, I didn't bother installing the kext for JMicron to begin with because I don't need it). So after installing iATKOS, I ran wolfienuke's script targeting a different disk and then ran the installation of Leopard from an image targeting that same disk. Rebooted and Voila!

After rebooting, I updated (through Apple's software update) to 10.5.6. The only thing that didn't work out of the box (through wolfienuke's script) was the graphic card. I have a 9800GTX+ and I don't have the EFI String (don't know how to find out anyway, I am a noob) for that. I went and use the NVDarwin 1.2.5 installer and after a 1-click exercise, the card works with every feature including rotation.

The only thing that isn't working now and would really appreciate some suggestions from wolfienuke, digital_dreamer and other experienced users:

1. Shut down resulting in kernel panic (after wake from sleep)

I can put the system to sleep (by the way, does it make a difference if I set in the BIOS to either S1 or S3?) and wake it from sleep without problem. However, if I ever do that and then later on try to shut down the machine (through "Shutdown" from Finder), the machine will KP and hang there. I can howver do a restart (although the display will go into blank so I can't really tell whether it's really restarting wiothout any error/kp/troubles) successfully. I don't know if this is related to my graphic card or not because before I apply NVDarwin (with the card operating at 1024x768 without QE/CI), I couldn't even put it to sleep (upon issuing the command, the system will whirl a bit with the display still on). Anyone also have this problem?

2. Timemachine doesn't work

Think this is a 10.5.6 problem. Timemachine can find internal disks and some usb disks but it can't use them. I have read about this problem in the forum and tried the fix suggested (replacing the NetworkFamily kext and "adding Ethernet" through EFI Studio) but it didn't work. Anyone got it working here?

3. USB / Firewire devices don't mount

This is as reported by digital_dreamer. Minor issue but an annoyance

4. Ethernet running at slower speed

Ethernet works well. I can unplug and replug cable and it still works with DHCP. However, I found that it's working at half duplex and an MTU of 1500. It also doesn't show (in the networking panel) what speed it is running at. So I went into the networking panel and instead of automatic, I tried to force it to "manual". I can change it to Full Duplex, 1000BaseT, MTU of 8000 for example. After I apply the changes, I can tell speed increases substantially on large file transfer (probably due to the jumbo frame). However, the changes won't stick. If I go back in again, it will show MTU 1500 and half duplex. Anyone having the same problem?

5. Sound assertion errors

On boot and shutdown/restart, a bunch of sound assertion errors reported. Sound is working though. I think digital_dreamer reported similarly earlier in the thread. Can someone tell me what these errors mean?

Overall, a very satisfying experience. Thanks goes to everyone who have done their research and contributed to this thread and the broader forum, but especially wolfienuke for his easy to use script. Without that, it would have been impossible for me.

Michael

I would roughly compare the 920/940 easily to a 2.8/3.0GHz 8-core MacPro. It's amazing that you can easily get the performance of a MacPro for under $1000, less if you already have most of the hardware (excluding MB/CPU/RAM)

Yep. I agree. Even though it only has 4 physical cores, compared to the 8 from the Mac Pro (2 CPUs x 4 cores), the Hyperthreading plus the incredible bandwidth between each core and to RAM makes up for it. The bandwidth makes it possible for data to be fed to and from these 4 cores about as fast as was/is done with 8 physical cores. Okay, I may be exaggerating just a little bit. (Hypertheading will never replace a physical core and some programs/algorithms won't benefit from it. In fact, they may suffer in performance.) The older single-processor Quads and Dual Xeons couldn't feed data fast over the FSB enough to keep the cores busy. Not a problem anymore.

For an example in how well the multiple cores scale on the Core i7, one only needs to look at the Cinebench multiple CPU benchmark results and the multiprocessor speedup figure, and compare that to the traditional Core 2 Duo systems. Big difference.

regards,

MAJ

Digital Dreamer,

Have you tried the IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3... It seems other older issues have been noted with similar symptoms. I have installed it, but I have not had the same issues as you.

It can be downloaded legally from Apple here

Mount the dmg, and show package contents of IOUSBFamily-226.4.3.pkg. Extract Archive.pax.gz, and you will find the original IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3. Increase it's version and drop it in your EFI partition.

Digital Dreamer,

Have you tried the IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3... It seems other older issues have been noted with similar symptoms. I have installed it, but I have not had the same issues as you.

It can be downloaded legally from Apple here

Mount the dmg, and show package contents of IOUSBFamily-226.4.3.pkg. Extract Archive.pax.gz, and you will find the original IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3. Increase it's version and drop it in your EFI partition.

Thanks! I'll try it out.

As for Time Machine, try out this this modified IONetworkingFamily.kext I found. It has a modified MacOS binary for this fix. I've included in the PlugIns the RealtekR1000.kext

Works for me. Backed up my whole drive.

FireWire mounting:

I tried out a AHCI Fix for 10.5.6 (included updated IOAHCIFamily.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext) and it didn't work and just knocked out the LAN cold. My Kalyway install wouldn't even connect to the LAN. Required CMOS clear. I'm going to try it again, though.

Too bad about sleep! Got the same issue, too. This used to work great. :angel: Might be the RTLR1000 driver.

Michael, would you be willing to try out a different LAN driver?

I have an updated IONetworkingFamily.kext with version 1.0.4 of the original SourceForge.net RealtekR1000 LAN driver. If you try it out, let us know if it performs any better bandwidth wise. I'd like to also know if sleep works with this one. However, it doesn't handle link detection like DHCP connections after sleep.

regards,

MAJ

Sure Digital Dreamer. Happy to try things out.

I am new to these things though (still getting confused as to how these modeified kexts interact with the system) so you need to walk me through how to install them. Appreciate if you can tell me how to:

1. Replace the IONetworkingFamily.kext in the system? Where to put it? I have downloaded something similar from another thread but didn't get it to work. Do I just drop it into /System/Library/Extension folder? When I tried it last time, the permissions of the file were all wrong etc. Do I need to cp the file in there as root?

2. You have provided two different IONetworkingFamily.kext below? Which one to try?

3. So you have a similar problem with sleep ---> wake ---> shutdown ---> KP? Even with your ATI card?

Thanks

Michael

I am new to these things though (still getting confused as to how these modeified kexts interact with the system) so you need to walk me through how to install them. Appreciate if you can tell me how to:

Use Osx86tools from here

1. Replace the IONetworkingFamily.kext in the system? Where to put it? I have downloaded something similar from another thread but didn't get it to work. Do I just drop it into /System/Library/Extension folder? When I tried it last time, the permissions of the file were all wrong etc. Do I need to cp the file in there as root?

2. You have provided two different IONetworkingFamily.kext below? Which one to try?

3. So you have a similar problem with sleep ---> wake ---> shutdown ---> KP? Even with your ATI card?

Thanks

Michael

Hey, Michael,

Yeah, I labeled the zipped kexts with appropriate names, so there wouldn't be any confusion. The first one I linked to is for Time Machine. The second one is Time Machine with a different LAN driver that you can try, named "Kext_different_LAN_Driver.kext"

And, you can use the Osx86tools application mattrb linked to. It can do a lot of cool things.

I can confirm that my sleep and shutdown problem was due to my IDE drive I installed with a SATA to IDE adapter. That was something I added just a few days ago. I just unplugged it and, now, Sleep and Shutdown are back to normal. So, I may replace it with a standard SATA drive eventually.

So, with TM working, I'm just back to the USB/FireWire jazz. Haven't installed the older IOUSBFamily.kext, yet.

kind regards,

MAJ

Sorry, I mean to say that Osx86tools will install the kexts for you and you don't have to worry about permissions and such. ;)

EDIT: I just realized you're on a Boot from EFI setup, using wolfienuke's script, so don't use the Osx86tools to install. That would install them in your fresh vanilla OS X installation and defeat the purpose of that setup.

Put the kext in the Extensions folder inside wolfienuke's script folder and run the script again like you've done before from a different partition. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks Digital Dreamer. I will give the kexts a try later this evening (Asian time zone here) and report back.

So it doesn't look like my sleep problem is the same as yours. I don't have any IDE drive in my system.

Anyone here with an nVidia card having the same problem?

Michael

See anything amiss?

This is unplugging my wireless mouse transceiver, unplugging the USB flash drive (CRUZER) and plugging it back in a different port.

Take a look at the extra U3 Cruzer device below it. It's a phantom Cruzer drive and won't clear. Right now I have 7 of these in one port. They will keep adding up each time I plug in the Cruzer. Cache problem?

IO_Registry_USB.jpg

EDIT: Well, after a restart, it's back to one of those U3 Cruzer listings, even though I've never plugged it in since the reboot.

regards,

MAJ

I think MSI Platinum X58 may have the same ACPI problem as MSI P35 motherboards that made them require a modified BIOS in order to work without cpus=1. However, I don't completely understand that problem/why removing Alias entries with DSDT patcher doesn't fix it. In any case, for anyone considering ordering a Nehalem motherboard for OSX, I think it may be better to avoid MSI for now. If I can't get the cores to work before my return period is up, I might send this back and try another manufacturer.

Tried alternate kernels? What install methods have you tried?

Thanks MAJ (think I should start calling you MAJ if that's ok with you).

Just wanting to be clear. Can I run wolfienuke's script on the boot drive that I am currently using or do I need to boot into a backup OSX install and run the script from there? I suppose the current boot drive's EFI partition is always mounted and locked somehow?

Michael

Hey, Michael,

Yeah, I labeled the zipped kexts with appropriate names, so there wouldn't be any confusion. The first one I linked to is for Time Machine. The second one is Time Machine with a different LAN driver that you can try, named "Kext_different_LAN_Driver.kext"

And, you can use the Osx86tools application mattrb linked to. It can do a lot of cool things.

I can confirm that my sleep and shutdown problem was due to my IDE drive I installed with a SATA to IDE adapter. That was something I added just a few days ago. I just unplugged it and, now, Sleep and Shutdown are back to normal. So, I may replace it with a standard SATA drive eventually.

So, with TM working, I'm just back to the USB/FireWire jazz. Haven't installed the older IOUSBFamily.kext, yet.

kind regards,

MAJ

Sorry, I mean to say that Osx86tools will install the kexts for you and you don't have to worry about permissions and such. ;)

EDIT: I just realized you're on a Boot from EFI setup, using wolfienuke's script, so don't use the Osx86tools to install. That would install them in your fresh vanilla OS X installation and defeat the purpose of that setup.

Put the kext in the Extensions folder inside wolfienuke's script folder and run the script again like you've done before from a different partition. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks MAJ (think I should start calling you MAJ if that's ok with you).

Just wanting to be clear. Can I run wolfienuke's script on the boot drive that I am currently using or do I need to boot into a backup OSX install and run the script from there? I suppose the current boot drive's EFI partition is always mounted and locked somehow?

Michael

I've done it in the current partition before, no harm done that I know of. However, I didn't like the fact that the partition doesn't unmount. Given that, I'm not sure it's completing all its tasks, like initializing the EFI partition, or just moving on. I'd have to check the log. wolfienuke might chime in here and give us his insight.

IMHO, I just play it safe and run it from a different partition. The last thing we want are problems because we took a shortcut.

regards,

MAJ

Digital_Dreamer,

I'm interested in the AHCI knocking out your LAN... My lan has gone kapput also, but the only modification I have done was to update the BIOS!!!!!!

Nothing seems to bring the lan back up unfortunately, i'm going to have to re-install from scratch and try and troubleshoot from there - Machine was performing very well prior to this...

rd=disk111s1 LOL!

regards,

MAJ

What board and LAN chipset do you have, again?

I'd assume you have that LAN driver installed?

When you do a kextstat in Terminal, do you see your Ethernet driver appearing in the list of loaded kexts? If you know the name of that kext/driver, do a kextload "name of kext/driver" (without the quotes) and see if it appears/works.

regards,

MAJ

EDIT:

BTW, most of the kexts we have posted here are what we know works with the Gigabyte board. Those with working ASUS board setups need to post what set works for them so that others don't have to keep reinventing the wheel. It'll save a lot of work and frustration.

below is the content of a kextstat from my machine. im using the gigabyte board, and have not been able to get ethernet working. this time for the hell of it i used the script, thinking it must be something i was doing wrong. as you can see from the kextstat ionetworking family is being loaded from my actual hd not from the efi partition. i did use the script to bump up the version value even though i still think its just the probe score that should be upped as changing the version can upset dependencies.

i also kextloaded the driver from the actual hd and it loads but it gave some warnings that i have never seen before, and i have been in this situation for many days now, kextload -t has become second nature to me :)

Last login: Mon Dec 29 09:44:52 on ttys000
joe-booths-somemodel:~ Joe$ sudo kextstat
Password:
Index Refs Address    Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
   1    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kernel (9.5.0)
   2   34 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kpi.bsd (9.5.0)
   3    3 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kpi.dsep (9.5.0)
   4   48 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kpi.iokit (9.5.0)
   5   53 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kpi.libkern (9.5.0)
   6   47 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kpi.mach (9.5.0)
   7   27 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kpi.unsupported (9.5.0)
   8    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.iokit.IONVRAMFamily (9.5.0)
   9    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.driver.AppleNMI (9.5.0)
  10    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.iokit.IOSystemManagementFamily (9.5.0)
  11    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.iokit.ApplePlatformFamily (9.5.0)
  12   21 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kernel.6.0 (7.9.9)
  13    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kernel.bsd (7.9.9)
  14    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kernel.iokit (7.9.9)
  15    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kernel.libkern (7.9.9)
  16    1 0x0        0x0        0x0        com.apple.kernel.mach (7.9.9)
  17   12 0x76fc4000 0x10000    0xf000     com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily (2.4) <7 6 5 4>
  18    6 0x76fda000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.2.0) <12>
  19    2 0x77029000 0x3d000    0x3c000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.1) <18 17 12 7 5 4>
  20    0 0x770e0000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.decrypt (2.0.3) <7 5 4>
  21    0 0x770f9000 0x5000     0x4000     com.apple.BootCache (28) <7 6 5 4 2>
  22    4 0x771b9000 0x38000    0x37000    com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily (1.5) <7 6 5 4 2>
  23    0 0x7721f000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.security.TMSafetyNet (2) <7 6 5 3 2>
  24    0 0x77239000 0x8000     0x7000     com.apple.nke.applicationfirewall (1.0.70) <7 6 5 4 2>
  25    0 0x77279000 0x18000    0x17000    com.apple.security.seatbelt (107.1) <7 6 5 3 2>
  26    0 0x773fb000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC (1.2.0) <12>
  27    0 0x7ff76000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleSMBIOS (1.0.12) <12>
  28    0 0x8011a000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.2.1) <22 19 18 7 6 5 4 2>

29    0 0x801b7000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.2.1) <19 18 17 12>
  30    0 0x8023a000 0x5000     0x4000     com.apple.driver.AppleRTC (1.0.5) <18 6 5 4 2>
  31    1 0x80247000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleEFIRuntime (1.1.0) <7 5 4>
  32   11 0x802f8000 0x28000    0x27000    com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.3) <7 6 5 4>
  33    0 0x80347000 0xe000     0xd000     com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.0.3) <32 17 7 6 5 4>
  34    3 0x8039c000 0x6000     0x5000     com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (1.0.4) <6 5 4 2>
  35    0 0x80436000 0xa000     0x9000     com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.5.1) <34 17 6 5 4 2>
  36    0 0x80515000 0x12000    0x11000    com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.3) <32 17 7 6 5 4>
  37    2 0x80680000 0x3f000    0x3e000    com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily (3.3.8) <6 5 4 2>
  38    0 0x806f2000 0x1f000    0x1e000    com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI (3.3.5) <37 17 7 6 5 4 2>
  39    0 0x8072f000 0x6000     0x5000     com.apple.driver.AppleEFINVRAM (1.1.0) <31 7 6 5 4>
  40    0 0x8078d000 0x2000     0x1000     com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.3) <32 6 5 4>
  41    0 0x80875000 0xb000     0xa000     com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.3) <32 6 5 4>
  42   11 0x8091e000 0x18000    0x17000    com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily (1.5.2) <7 6 5 4 2>
  43    0 0x80974000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleFileSystemDriver (1.1.0) <42 5 4>
  44    0 0x80a10000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <32 5 4>
  45    6 0x80b1b000 0x18000    0x17000    com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily (2.0.0) <6 5 4 2>
  46    0 0x80b44000 0xa000     0x9000     com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass (2.0.0) <45 42 32 12>
  47    2 0x80c27000 0x16000    0x15000    com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIBlockCommandsDevice (2.0.0) <45 42 6 5 4 2>
  48    0 0x80c44000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.iTunesPhoneDriver (1.0) <47 45 12>
  49    0 0x80cb2000 0x6000     0x5000     com.apple.iokit.SCSITaskUserClient (2.0.0) <45 42 6 5 4 2>
  50    0 0x80d31000 0x11000    0x10000    com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.1.0) <42 34 6 5 4 2>
  51    0 0x80dae000 0x2000     0x1000     com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub (3.0.3) <32 5 4>
  52    0 0x80e74000 0x5000     0x4000     com.apple.driver.XsanFilter (2.7.91) <42 12>
  53    1 0x810b0000 0x37000    0x36000    com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothFamily (2.0f20) <12 6 5 4 2>
  54    0 0x810f2000 0x7000     0x6000     com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController (2.0f20) <53 32 12>
  55    0 0x81156000 0x6000     0x5000     com.apple.iokit.IOAHCISerialATAPI (1.0.1) <45 34 6 5 4 2>
  56    2 0x81237000 0x5000     0x4000     com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.3) <32 22 6 5 4>
  57    0 0x81242000 0x2000     0x1000     com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard (1.0.5f1) <56 22 12>
  58    3 0x812ee000 0x8000     0x7000     com.apple.iokit.IOCDStorageFamily (1.5) <42 6 5 4 2>
  59    2 0x8132d000 0x6000     0x5000     com.apple.iokit.IODVDStorageFamily (1.5) <58 42 6 5 4 2>
  60    1 0x81363000 0x5000     0x4000     com.apple.iokit.IOBDStorageFamily (1.5) <59 58 42 6 5 4 2>
  61    0 0x8138f000 0x16000    0x15000    com.apple.iokit.IOSCSIMultimediaCommandsDevice (2.0.0) <60 59 58 47 45 42 6 5 4 2>
  62    1 0x81482000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleHIDMouse (1.2.0b3) <22 12>
  63    0 0x8148d000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHIDMouse (1.2.0b3) <62 56 32 12>
  64    1 0x76ef5000 0x9000     0x8000     com.apple.driver.AppleSMC (2.0.0d5) <18 7 6 5 4>
  65    1 0x76efe000 0xe000     0xd000     com.apple.driver.IOPlatformPluginFamily (3.0.0d11) <12>
  66    0 0x76f0c000 0xa000     0x9000     com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.0.0d11) <65 64 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>
  67    1 0x76f16000 0x3000     0x2000     com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib (1.1) <6 5>
  68    1 0x76f19000 0x17000    0x16000    com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily (1.6.4b7) <67 6 5 4 2>
  69    0 0x76f30000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AudioIPCDriver (1.0.4) <68 6 5 4 2>
  70    1 0x76f34000 0x16000    0x15000    com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily (1.6.0) <7 6 5 4 2>
  71    0 0x76f4a000 0x9000     0x8000     com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireIP (1.7.0) <70 37 6 5 4 2>
  72    3 0x76f53000 0x1c000    0x1b000    com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily (1.5) <17 7 6 5 4>
  73    2 0x76f6f000 0xe000     0xd000     com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport (1.5) <72 17 7 6 5 4>
  74    2 0x8b996000 0x22d000   0x22c000   com.apple.NVDAResman (5.1.6) <73 72 17 12 6 5 4 2>
  75    0 0x8bbc3000 0x1b8000   0x1b7000   com.apple.nvidia.nv40hal (5.1.6) <74 17 12>
  76    0 0x80f61000 0x82000    0x81000    com.apple.GeForce (5.1.6) <74 73 72 17 12 6 5 4 2>
  77    0 0x770e3000 0x10000    0xf000     com.apple.driver.DiskImages (191.1) <42 7 6 5 4 2>
  78    0 0x80255000 0xb000     0xa000     com.apple.filesystems.autofs (2.0.0d1) <7 6 5 4 2>
  79    2 0x8028e000 0x9000     0x8000     com.apple.iokit.IOSerialFamily (9.1) <7 6 5 4 2>
  80    0 0x80297000 0x9000     0x8000     com.apple.iokit.IOBluetoothSerialManager (2.0f20) <79 12>
  81    0 0x802af000 0x4000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport (2.4.0) <79 32 12>
  82    0 0x80359000 0xc000     0xb000     com.apple.filesystems.msdosfs (1.5) <7 6 5 2>
  83    0 0x80527000 0x1b000    0x1a000    com.apple.filesystems.ntfs (2.0) <7 6 5 2>
joe-booths-somemodel:~ Joe$ sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekR1000.kext 
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekR1000.kext appears to be loadable
/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit: Undefined in symbol set: __Z19IODTMapOneInterruptP15IORegistryEntryPmPP6OSDataPPK8OSSymbol
/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext/IOKit: Undefined in symbol set: __Z23IODTFindInterruptParentP15IORegistryEntry
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekR1000.kext loaded successfully
joe-booths-somemodel:~ Joe$ 

EDIT: just deleted the ionetworking family from my hd (getting desparate now) and it still refuses to load the version on my efi partition.....

EDIT2: installing the kext from my efi partition onto my installation hd works but the realtek driver is not loaded at boot, and manually loading still does not recognise my ethernet hardware

Edited by ѕӎѳѳҭңӌ

I run several more tests, after the previous "waiting for boot device" error.

I do have to run voodoo kernel, or the system will reboot before install. And as you guys suggested it's not necessary to specify the rd=diskXsY part.

It looks like the problem was a wrong version number in the Info.plist file of IOAHCIBlockStorage, a plugin inside IOAHCIFamily.kext.

I asked for a second Boot-132 CD with correct plist, and will give it a new try as soon as i get it.

I've done it in the current partition before, no harm done that I know of. However, I didn't like the fact that the partition doesn't unmount. Given that, I'm not sure it's completing all its tasks, like initializing the EFI partition, or just moving on. I'd have to check the log. wolfienuke might chime in here and give us his insight.

IMHO, I just play it safe and run it from a different partition. The last thing we want are problems because we took a shortcut.

regards,

MAJ

Hi Maj,

First off, sleep problem solved! Thank you. I tried both kexts you provided and it miraculous solved the Sleep > Wake > Shutdown > KP problem I had previously and of course TM works with both kexts. Now on to the difference between the two:

1. First one with the old Lan driver. The network panel doesn't report a speed, it defaults to half duplex and a MTU of 1500. This one doesn't have any problem reconnecting to the Lan after sleep. I tried a speed test with my laptop and it peaked at 26MB/s via ftp. Think this is limited by the HD of the laptop though. Again I can try modifying the settings with manual but they won't stick. For some reasons, I tried both leaving the settings untouched and changing them to full duplex and mtu 8000 etc but the speed remains the same at 26MB/s. Again given the test is limited by the HD, not sure if this tells us anything.

2. Second one with new Lan driver. Network panel reports 1000BaseT, full duplex and 1500MTU. Tried the same test. Again peaked at 26MB/s. Tried changing MTU to 8000. No luck. Settings will not stick. This one, as you suggested earlier, will not reconnect after sleep.

Given the above, i.e. no speed difference (at least for practical purposes), and that the sleep problem is now fixed, I am better off stick with the 1st kext above.

Thank you once again.

Now on to my next project: dual booting with Vista x64. Any one has experience? It seems like the tutorials lurking around on the forum is tailored for dual booting on 1 single HD. I would like to put Vista on a separate disk. Now of course, I can just install it and change the booting priority through F12 whenever I want to boot Vista but give how fxxxing slow the Gigabyte BIOS is, I really want to avoid doing that if possible.

Michael