Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Just make sure the 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext is installed on the EFI partition as well. This IS required for 10.5.6 until xnu-dev releases the voodoo 9.6.0 kernel.

Other than that, updating is as easy on a hackintosh with EFI Partition Boot as it is on a real Mac.

The upgrade went (almost) perfect!

- Graphics now works great, used GFX strings.

- Audio still not working: System Preferences tells me I have a HD Audio Output Device, but I hear no sound. I plugged in the headset jack, that should be the basic audio working right? Or should I try with a different port, like SPDIF? I tried with both HD Audio and ALC97 settings in the BIOS with no luck. Help here please!!

- Lan is not recognized at all. But it used to be when I had iDeneb, and I can't figure out what is different. I tried installing AppleYukon, which should be the one for Marvin Controllers, but nothing changes. I don't use LAN, but I'd like to have it just in case.

- WiFi almost working. This one is strange... I have a Dlink DWL-G122 USB Adapter, and it used to work like a charm. Then at one point it stopped working: the System Profiler knew it was plugged in, but the System Preferences told me No Device Found!. Now it works if I install the driver and use it right away, but as soon as I restart the computer it stops again and I have to install it over. I suspect that it stopped working since I made the upgrade to 10.5.6, but I can't be totally sure of this. Any idea?

Everything else is perfect. Will write a guide in some time! I just need your help for these last things.

I have 3 questions:

I used InstaHackintosh 1.0 and used the dfe boot option. The thing konked out and I used Digital_Dreamer's boot-132 kext package and put them in the main extension folder. I was then going to install voodoo by putting mach_kernel.voodoo in the dfe folder in the InstaHackintosh Package. Then I rebooted and it just came to this screen and to a screeching halt. Why doesn't digital_dreamers kext work and was voodoo installed correctly.

pixcture.jpeg

Second question is if it is okay to use 1600 mhz ram in this motherboard because I think this is what is causing problems for me. Is there any way to underclock this ram to normal speeds to get the computer running better. How do I underclock it and with what settings in the bios.

Third Question is if the bios patcher in the forums can bios patch the bios for this motherboard and help it to get more dsdt friendly.

mattrb,

The Voodoo kernel is definitely running on that install, though I'm curious if the corresponding System.kext for the Voodoo kernel is running.

Your log reveals a problem with Bonjour on the network. Would you try unplugging your Ethernet cable and see if it completes the boot? Also, do you have Windows installed on a partition? When you shut down Windows, it will shut down the LAN driver, making it useless in OS X. The way around that is to enable the "Wake from LAN" option in Windows. That way Windows doesn't shut it down and OS X can use it.

Using the 1600MHz RAM is speed should be no problem for you. I'm using that same speed, but at 1.64v. If there was a problem with that speed, your system would never post until you cleared the CMOS. You can select a lower multiplier in the BIOS to downclock the RAM

I don't know about the BIOS being dsdt friendly, but it is recommended to update to the latest BIOS firmware available, which is F4.

regards,

MAJ

Edit: Added more info on RAM speed.

Can anyone offer me any help in getting osx loaded on my setup.

MB: Asus Rampage II Extreme

CPU: i7 920

Video: GTX-280

6GB DDR3

I have tried kalyway 10.5.2 and Ideneb 10.5.5

They both install fine but get stuck on the white apple screen.

What settings should I select during installation?

What kernal should I be using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JN

mattrb,

The Voodoo kernel is definitely running on that install, though I'm curious if the corresponding System.kext for the Voodoo kernel is running.

Your log reveals a problem with Bonjour on the network. Would you try unplugging your Ethernet cable and see if it completes the boot? Also, do you have Windows installed on a partition? When you shut down Windows, it will shut down the LAN driver, making it useless in OS X. The way around that is to enable the "Wake from LAN" option in Windows. That way Windows doesn't shut it down and OS X can use it.

Unfortunately, I don't think you are right on this one MAJ... I thought it was a LAN issue when I first saw this same exact error, but it turned out to be a mis-installed boot1h. Disabling LAN, unplugging LAN, clearing CMOS... None of those fixed anything. I had to properly copy the boot loader files back to the EFI partition manually.

I would still check the system.kext to ensure it is there, but don't believe it would cause this error.

Can anyone offer me any help in getting osx loaded on my setup.

MB: Asus Rampage II Extreme

CPU: i7 920

Video: GTX-280

6GB DDR3

I have tried kalyway 10.5.2 and Ideneb 10.5.5

They both install fine but get stuck on the white apple screen.

What settings should I select during installation?

What kernal should I be using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JN

Most of the users here are using voodoo 9.5.0 kernel, but I started out using kabyl.

During your install you need to select a kernel (don't start with vanilla), bootloader, and any kexts for chipsets your motherboard has (honestly I could not determine what chipset you have other than ich10).

What you need to do is boot in verbose (type -v during boot) to see where the boot process stops. That will allow us to get more of an idea of where to start troubleshooting your install.

WiFi and LAN now works, it was just a kext problem (IONetworkingFamily.kext had to be modded and loaded in the EFI partition). Still got the Audio issue, I don't need anything more then 2-way out.. and then I'll be PERFECT!

JN, your MB should be very similar to mine, so it should work this way:

NOTE: Make a search on this forum, it's possible that your Graphic Card is not supported. If that is the case don't even try with the installation, it won't work unless you unplug it and use just basic VESA Integrated Graphics.

Before installation: Make sure you have the following settings in your BIOS:

- Sata ports set to AHCI

- Active Cores: 1

- HyperThreading (HT): Disabled

This enables only one core, this is for safety for the installation process, there is a method to enable all cores and you can find it looking in the previous pages of this thread (around page 12 or 13 I think), or wait until I write a guide. Or you can try with all cores and HT enabled and let us know if it works :hysterical:

Then boot the DVD and during installation select ICHx fixed, kernel 9.4.0 stageXNU, AzaliaAudio, Network>Ethernet>AppleYukon2

Reboot, and type -v again and let's see where you get.

jimmy, I think you missed my previous post :hysterical:

also, it's always best to post the full screen message, because not always what it says as the last thing is useful.

oh and i almost forgot, sometimes it hangs for up to 7-8 minutes, and then it goes again. try to leave it alone for 10 mins before rebooting.

Hi guys!

I've planned to upgrade my current system to i& as well after seeing so many success attempt to install OS X.

Now im confused which motherboard should go for, personally, i really love the Asus Rampage Extreme x58 mobo coz it looks sexy but the ADI A2000B sound card seems worrying me. Although i can get a compatible PCI sound card but planned to setup a 2x 9800GT SLI build.

I knew the Gigabyte ones does pretty well but don't quite like the board design and i like to stick with asus.

So my question is, will the Asus board able to work as compatible as the gigabyte one? ignore the onboard sound as MJ still having the issue right now.

My "intrsuctions" where for iDeneb 1.3. It should be the easier to get to work with our setup.

If you have two HDD I suggest you install iDeneb on the smaller/slower, to see how things work and to have a working install, and then try with the Retail DVD with Boot-132 and EFI Partition Boot method.

Or you can start right away with the second option! Now I gotta go, but tomorrow I'll upload the files I used for Retail.

@vailancer: see my sig, it should all work perfectly! other users have reported having audio working, so that must be just a matter of finding the correct configuration.

@all: happy new year! may this one bring us all much joy and coding fun :)

<... you guys have been busy in the few day's I've been away, damn... :P >

@M J: working on the P6T D'xe, I had the same problem... Did you try replacing the Azalea that came with iDeneb 1.3? The one I now use is this one (post #7). I must admit I haven't yet looked into the differences between the two, but it somehow works for me.

Okay, back to catching up; although I'm glad most posts concern the Gig' boards :blink:

Will be trying the retail install too very soon :)

(and yay for MacWorld in a few days, I've got high hopes!)

Got my i7 today :thumbsup_anim: Just waiting for my mobo, cooler, and ram to arrive on monday. You guys heard that the 920 is 229$ at Frys today and for the remainder of the weekend?

Good find... $70 off is a great deal especially when you are talking about a new processor line. Too bad they are only having a deal on the Intel motherboard.

Another complete success here!

MSI X58 Platinum, Core i7 2.6 10.5.6 ALL 8 Cores Working!

Using the XXX_LEO_10.5.6 release with the folowing settings:

PC EFI V9.0

DSDT Patch

Voodoo 9.5.0 Beta 2C

Jmicron ATA

RTL8111 (network)

Old APIC/ACPI

Managed to boot succesfuly.

Following these instructions from Seggybop i got 8 cores working! (thanx mate)

I got DSDT patcher from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

Run the DSDT patcher program, and when it asks about Darwin or Windows, enter 0 (Darwin). After the program is finished, a new folder called Debug will be created. Inside the Debug folder, there will be a file called dsdt.dsl. Open it with TextEdit and you will see near the beginning many entries for Processor and Alias. Delete all of the lines with Alias and then save the file. Move dsdt.dsl out of Debug into the main folder of DSDT patcher. Delete the dsdt.aml that is already in the folder. Next, open Terminal and cd to the DSDT patcher folder. Run the program with dsdt.dsl as the parameter ( ./DSDT\ Patcher dsdt.dsl ).

A new dsdt.aml file will be created when the patcher finishes. Rename it to DSDT.aml and then move it to the root of your OSX boot drive. Then you need to get the version of Chameleon that supports DSDT.aml (assuming you are using Chameleon). You can get it here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132757

Rename your existing /boot file to something like oldboot and then copy the new chameleon file to / and rename it to boot.

8 cores should work now. You may need to remove cpus=1 from com.apple.boot.plist if it's there. If anything didn't make sense tell me and I will try to clarify.

I have to use the flag "busratio=20" otherwise i get kernel panic but who cares? (anyway to make it automatically? i have to press F8 continusly because it starts automatically booting normal mode)

No luck with the audio yet.

Here is some proof i am proud about:

http://www.box.net/shared/u0jokqjgd8

Greetings from Greece and my new Mac Pro! I will stick to the topic and help anyway i can.

I have to use the flag "busratio=20" otherwise i get kernel panic but who cares? (anyway to make it automatically? i have to press F8 continusly because it starts automatically booting normal mode)

Congrats! Hopefully this helps other MSI X58 users...

FYI, just add busratio=20 to the boot.plist. You can also change the timeout so you have enough time to enter other boot flags if you need to.

Just add/replace these lines in your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=20</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>8</string>

Congrats! Hopefully this helps other MSI X58 users...

FYI, just add busratio=20 to the boot.plist. You can also change the timeout so you have enough time to enter other boot flags if you need to.

Just add/replace these lines in your com.apple.boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>busratio=20</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>8</string>

Thanx for the tip friend! Just did it and it boots like a pro!

Fixed dmg mount kernel crashes too.

Thanks palamosteliaro! I'll be using this board so i'll definitely use this! Have you geekbenched your system yet? What are your results like?

Here are the geekbench results!

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/98736

5508 Points!

Right in the middle of mac pro 2.8 and 3.0:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/06/mac...ance-june-2008/

Pretty good for its cost dont you think??? :):D :D

5508 Points!

Pretty good for its cost dont you think??? :P :P :P

Good work, palamosteliaro! :gathering:

And, room to grow!

You probably know, but the Voodoo kernel has been out of beta for a little while. Here's the link to XNU-Dev page and the Release Candidate download.

anyone has the ADI A2000B working on asus board?

Have you seen this ADI AD2000B audio codec thead? Some success stories there.

regards,

MAJ

5508 Points!

Pretty good for its cost dont you think??? :gathering::P :P

It seems that your CPU is being limited still... You should be getting around 7800-8000 on GeekBench on default settings. Do you have CPU throttling enabled? It still is a great score, but something seems awry. Your multi-core speedup seems appropriate, so all cores are working.

I would check actual CPU freq and see if there is an issue. Open terminal and type "sysctl hw | grep cpufreq" and post your results.

Hackintosh-i7:~ justin$ sysctl hw | grep cpufreq
hw.cpufrequency_max: 3000000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 3000000000
hw.cpufrequency: 3000000000
hw.cpufrequency = 3000000000

As you can tell, my 920 is running at 3.0GHz and current GeekBench 32bit is 8900. At 2.6GHz it was getting 7800.

Have fun tweaking!

It seems that your CPU is being limited still... You should be getting around 7800-8000 on GeekBench on default settings. Do you have CPU throttling enabled? It still is a great score, but something seems awry. Your multi-core speedup seems appropriate, so all cores are working.

I would check actual CPU freq and see if there is an issue. Open terminal and type "sysctl hw | grep cpufreq" and post your results.

Hackintosh-i7:~ justin$ sysctl hw | grep cpufreq
hw.cpufrequency_max: 3000000000
hw.cpufrequency_min: 3000000000
hw.cpufrequency: 3000000000
hw.cpufrequency = 3000000000

As you can tell, my 920 is running at 3.0GHz and current GeekBench 32bit is 8900. At 2.6GHz it was getting 7800.

Have fun tweaking!

Did you notice his cpu-x reading on that screenshot? He's got 2000 MHz for the core speed (133x15). It appears downclocked. At first I thought it was just an anomaly, but with your reminder regarding this GeekBench score, it's probably accurate. It was probably downclocked out of desperation. :gathering:

So, bump it back up, palamosteliaro!

regards,

MAJ

You are right guys but i dont get it. How can I flag busratio=20 and it gives me only 15?

I have changed the clock from the bios from 133 to 150 and nothing changed on cpu-x so i think it is its fault.

Any idea?

Hey palamo, it's not the FSB clock you want to change (133 MHz is correct for a core i7 920), but you want to change the multiplier to 20. I don't know about your mainboard, in my BIOS it's simply called "Multiplier" if I rember correctly...

You are right guys but i dont get it. How can I flag busratio=20 and it gives me only 15?

I have changed the clock from the bios from 133 to 150 and nothing changed on cpu-x so i think it is its fault.

Any idea?

In the bios "cell menu" try disabling the power management settings (eist, c-state). It seems like it may be running in low power mode. I'm still using the 9.4 stagexnu kernel which doesn't need busratio=x and my CPU seems to be running at full speed (Geekbench score 10162, 3.4ghz in BIOS).

I think the intel power management (speedstep) only changes multipler (busratio) and voltage, so if CPU-X didn't report a change when you switched it from 133 to 150 it definitely has a problem reading it correctly. What does it say it is in the Geekbench result? Mine is reporting 3.41 correctly.