Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

I'd set up my i7 system with EFI partition method (voodoo 9.6.0), and running all the features such as on-board LAN, Audio, CI/QE, etc., except Time Machine feature.

It seems like the Time Machine requires "Built-in LAN adaptor" on the system, which means IOBuiltin key must be set to <true/> in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file. However, I couldn't figure out how to set it always on. Another odd thing is that the Network preferences shows my Ethernet connection is half-duplex and I cannot override it even if I choose "Manually" for configuring mode.

Are there any way to use Time Machine feature and/or set the duplex as full-duplex on GA-EX58-UD5?

Removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist didn't solve my problem. Most of kexts are wolfienuke's amazing lovely pack. I replaced only graphics kext (retail graphics update and EFI string) and Kernel (recent release of voodoo 9.6.0).

Mac OS X 10.5.6 Retail (EFI Partition, Voodoo 9.6.0) | GA-EX58-UD5 | Core i7 920 | DDR3 Corsair 3x1GB @ 1333 MHz | nVidia GeForce 9800 GT

artice,

Try this IONetworkingFamily.kext with version 1.0.4 of the original SourceForge.net RealtekR1000 LAN driver. This is a different version of the driver and includes the Time Machine Fix. The only drawback with this driver, that I know of, is lack of automatic link detection - will lose LAN connection after wake from sleep if you use DHCP.

regards,

MAJ

artice,

Try this IONetworkingFamily.kext with version 1.0.4 of the original SourceForge.net RealtekR1000 LAN driver. This is a different version of the driver and includes the Time Machine Fix. The only drawback with this driver, that I know of, is lack of automatic link detection - will lose LAN connection after wake from sleep if you use DHCP.

regards,

MAJ

Thank you so much! The problem seems to be solved. Now Time Machine begins backing up into external USB HDD, and yes, full-duplex!

Thanks again for your kindly help!

Now...I was really surprised "STEVE JOBS JUST DIED" fake comment on MacRumorsLive...Hmmm

Thank you so much! The problem seems to be solved. Now Time Machine begins backing up into external USB HDD, and yes, full-duplex!

Thanks again for your kindly help!

Now...I was really surprised "STEVE JOBS JUST DIED" fake comment on MacRumorsLive...Hmmm

Hey Artice,

I really like the logo you made... Is there any way you can post that with the standard mac logo colors for my About screen?

Keynote? You betcha! Eagerly waiting for the hardware updates.

Won't be the same without The Steve. :whistle: Today will historic and mark the end of an era - no more Apple at MW in the future.

regards,

MAJ

My oh my... This was a huge disappointment :( :( :(

Well, people, seems like no new uber-mac has been announced, meaning we might have to wait a *long* time (everything is relative) for 'official' support. Well, I guess it's just back to hacking for now..

(ps: in case anyone's interested, this is pretty much how it went: h**p://www.engadget.com/2009/01/06/live-from-the-macworld-2009-keynote/)

Back on topic: I've been trying M J's Retail tutorial, but I have one major problem, which occured during the other installs as well: my optical drive seems to lock whenever I boot from it. I've had this with all the BIOS's I tried (v7 through 10), and all the install disc's I tried (iAtkos 4.1, iAtkos 5, iDeneb 1.3 and now this one). This wasn't a problem, as I could just turn off my pc after an install, and then power it on again and remove the disc during boot sequence. But it is a problem now, as I have to change the disc at the Darwin prompt, which is (or at least seems) impossible. I might try it with a paperclip (if I can find one :) ), but this is not necessarily going to work.. Any suggestions? (I checked the BIOS settings, couldn't find anything in there that would do this either).

My oh my... This was a huge disappointment :( :( :(

<snip>

No kidding! :thumbsdown_anim: Now, you can understand why Apple is not in favor of being held to the rigid timeframe of MW for releasing hardware/software. Clearly, some things were not ready.

<snip>

my optical drive seems to lock whenever I boot from it.

<snip>

What drive do you have and how is it plugged into the board?

regards,

MAJ

No kidding! :thumbsdown_anim: Now, you can understand why Apple is not in favor of being held to the rigid timeframe of MW for releasing hardware/software. Clearly, some things were not ready.

They ain't kidding indeed :(

I mean, okay, I didn't exactly expect to jump into the air, but *this*?

... *speechless*

What drive do you have and how is it plugged into the board?

regards,

MAJ

It's an ASUS DRW-20B1ST, nicely recognized by Leopard as well, plugged into my 5th SATA port. Can this have any influence?

No kidding :thumbsdown_anim:

I mean, okay, I didn't exactly expect to jump into the air, but *this*?

... *speechless*

It's an ASUS DRW-20B1ST, nicely recognized by Leopard as well, plugged into my 5th SATA port. Can this have any influence?

I wouldn't know. So, hitting the eject button has no effect when disk in loaded? When can you eject? Only in a GUI OS?

regards,

MAJ

I wouldn't know. So, hitting the eject button has no effect when disk in loaded? When can you eject? Only in a GUI OS?

regards,

MAJ

solved, see below

Ejecting is possible during preboot, inside BIOS, in Express Gate (SSD Quick Boot on ASUS boards), during boot of both Windows XP and OS X, but also during setup of XP - so booting from the install disc. Seems it only locks during the install of OS X...

*Update* Forgot to mention the button doesn't work while in OS X either, I have to use manual eject or F12. I was reminded by a problem that occurred: during verification of a burn, the process went awry and the drive locked up. Restarting the system didn't help, the drive kept being locked - after OS X had locked it.

I'm not sure whether it is my drive that keeps being locked, my mobo not resetting the drive on reboot (which won't help me for installing Retail anyway) or if it's perhaps a software problem...

*Update* Okay, I'm very sorry for the chaos I caused. It seems the problem was indeed software based. I just ran M J's new iso, and the drive ejected without a fight. It was probably some setting on the boot that made my drive mad at me ;)

But I wish to express my enormous gratitude for your help on every subject that comes round!

solved, see below

Ejecting is possible during preboot, inside BIOS, in Express Gate (SSD Quick Boot on ASUS boards), during boot of both Windows XP and OS X, but also during setup of XP - so booting from the install disc. Seems it only locks during the install of OS X...

*Update* Forgot to mention the button doesn't work while in OS X either, I have to use manual eject or F12. I was reminded by a problem that occurred: during verification of a burn, the process went awry and the drive locked up. Restarting the system didn't help, the drive kept being locked - after OS X had locked it.

I'm not sure whether it is my drive that keeps being locked, my mobo not resetting the drive on reboot (which won't help me for installing Retail anyway) or if it's perhaps a software problem...

*Update* Okay, I'm very sorry for the chaos I caused. It seems the problem was indeed software based. I just ran M J's new iso, and the drive ejected without a fight. It was probably some setting on the boot that made my drive mad at me :wacko:

But I wish to express my enormous gratitude for your help on every subject that comes round!

My current Asus p5ke wifi ap, also blocks eject during boot /bios time, its random..., sometimes with win xp cd, sometimes with ubuntu, sometimes with pre-boot / osx, thinks its an asus bug, and already bugging me for a year... only the operating system can eject, or a shutdown...

you'd also maybe receive some usb issues to concering an appleslim line aluminium keyboard dring POST of the board, this also comes across different asus mobo's, 975x p35 maybe more...

solved, see below

*Update* Okay, I'm very sorry for the chaos I caused. It seems the problem was indeed software based. I just ran M J's new iso, and the drive ejected without a fight. It was probably some setting on the boot that made my drive mad at me :D

My current Asus p5ke wifi ap, also blocks eject during boot /bios time, its random..., sometimes with win xp cd, sometimes with ubuntu, sometimes with pre-boot / osx, thinks its an asus bug, and already bugging me for a year... only the operating system can eject, or a shutdown...

you'd also maybe receive some usb issues to concering an appleslim line aluminium keyboard dring POST of the board, this also comes across different asus mobo's, 975x p35 maybe more...

So, if I understand correctly, this is independant of operating system used?

(although I must also note: my drive seems quite consistent, when it refuses - it's always in the same situation.. for now)

How about posting the kextstat from Terminal? That'll let us know what's loaded, their versions and dependencies.

regards,

MAJ

For my kextstat, see http://anima.xs4all.nl/kext.html

The exact vmware build version: Version 2.0.1 (128865)

Kernel:

uname -a

Darwin andinya.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Hope this helps!

Hey Artice,

I really like the logo you made... Is there any way you can post that with the standard mac logo colors for my About screen?

I'm not sure this is what you want by the means of "standard mac logo colors" but here it is!

Replace the tiff file in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/ with 0:0 permission

Since this is the first time to edit About This Mac logo, I apologize if something wrong.

MacOSX_Black.tif

MacOSX_Rainbow.tif

For my kextstat, see http://anima.xs4all.nl/kext.html

The exact vmware build version: Version 2.0.1 (128865)

Kernel:

uname -a

Darwin andinya.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec 6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Hope this helps!

Ok, here are some the results from performing a diff on our kextstats:

VMWare working		   					 		   |	VMWare NOT working
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.2.1) 		 		  |	com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.2.4)
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.1) 			  |	com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.4)
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.5.1) 				  |	com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.5.2)
													 >	com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (1.6.2a37) 
													 >	com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (1.6.2a37)
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.1.0) 			  |	com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.2.0) 
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (1.0.4)		   		  |	com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (1.5.0) 
com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily (1.7.1f4)		   		 |	com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily (2.0.0) 
													 >	com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily (1.6.2a37) 
com.kXProject.driver.kXAudioDriver (1.2b1) 			  <

Some questions arise from looking at this...

1. What audio driver are you using (kXAudioDriver)? Can you post a link/download?

2. What AppleACPIPlatform, AppleAHCIPort, IOAHCIFamily, and IOATAFamily kexts were you using? They seem completely different... link/download?

Update: kXAudioDriver seems to be for Soundblaster. So are you not using built in audio?

Update2: Seems like you have some 10.5.5 kexts... I am going back to 10.5 see when/if VMWare works for me.

i7_VMWare_kextstat_diff.rtf

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.2.1) 		 		  |	com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.2.4)
com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.1) 			  |	com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.2.4)
com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.5.1) 				  |	com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.5.2)
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.1.0) 			  |	com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.2.0) 
com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (1.0.4)		   		  |	com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (1.5.0) 
com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily (1.7.1f4)		   		 |	com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily (2.0.0) 

1. What audio driver are you using (kXAudioDriver)? Can you post a link/download?

2. What AppleACPIPlatform, AppleAHCIPort, IOAHCIFamily, and IOATAFamily kexts were you using? They seem completely different... link/download?

Update: kXAudioDriver seems to be for Soundblaster. So are you not using built in audio?

Update2: Seems like you have some 10.5.5 kexts... I am going back to 10.5 see when/if VMWare works for me.

I went ahead and verified that the versions of the kexts you are asking about are all part of the boot-132 download in my tutorial. I might be tempted to put most of them in my EFI partition, remove the EFI redundant ones and see if they make a difference. If so, pull a couple out and test again. They don't look logical, do they? I have a feeling there's more to this than what we see here.

I don't recall having VMware working for me in 10.5.5 either. :unsure:

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: Might be tempted to even pull the Audio and AppleSMBIOS stuff out of the EFI partition, too, just to remove them from the equation. Don't need them for booting.

Indeed I am using kXaudio for my Audigy2 card - I suddenly saw that was working also and prefer it above onboard audio. I doubt that makes a difference however - since for you guys the kernel panic happens in vmnet.kext...

As for the kexts, as for as I remember I updated to 10.5.6, then re-ran the post-patch script from digital dreamers method. This probably replaced some of the kexts with the 10.5.5 versions as you mentioned...

I went ahead and verified that the versions of the kexts you are asking about are all part of the boot-132 download in my tutorial. I might be tempted to put most of them in my EFI partition, remove the EFI redundant ones and see if they make a difference. If so, pull a couple out and test again. They don't look logical, do they? I have a feeling there's more to this than what we see here.

I don't recall having VMware working for me in 10.5.5 either. :)

regards,

MAJ

EDIT: Might be tempted to even pull the Audio and AppleSMBIOS stuff out of the EFI partition, too, just to remove them from the equation. Don't need them for booting.

Ah so that confirms it. Well I am not running kexts from an EFI partition now either, so thats another difference (ie didn't use wolfienukes method, just yours). Are you sure you have the same vmware fusion version (also same build #?)

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my LAN problem that I am having. I read some where else on this forum of a guy with the same board as me, the intel x58so, and he couldn't get it to work either. That post was around October and I was wondering if anything had changed.

here is a link to the intel site for the driver. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...32&lang=eng

i also don't think the audio is working, this is the link for that. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...32&lang=eng

I have kalyway 10.5.2 running and have OSx86 tools running so I can install kexts.

I would really like to run the retail on my machine, but for some reason I can't get the bootloader and the retail to go for some reason. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Hey all, I'm not exactly a tech pro, but i like to pretend. I've been using a macbook for the last two years and i admit its made me a little lazy when it comes to getting things done with a pc. Well my macbook died and i just purchased a new pc. I've been running Vista 64 bit for two weeks or so and I gotta admit, I really miss leopard :). Well I started with a youtube video that suggested iAtkos 5i and I've managed to install. But when i try to boot, the system automatically restarts. The installation appeared to be successful and ran similar to when i installed leopard on my macbook. I came to this thread and i think i realized that i have some hardware compatibility issues. If anyone has any other theories, if you could please assist me, you'd have my gratitude.

My current system is

Core i7 920

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 Intel X58

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1333

EVGA GeForce GTX 280

Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 640GB

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this system up and running, your support is appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my LAN problem that I am having. I read some where else on this forum of a guy with the same board as me, the intel x58so, and he couldn't get it to work either. That post was around October and I was wondering if anything had changed.

here is a link to the intel site for the driver. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...32〈=eng

i also don't think the audio is working, this is the link for that. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...32〈=eng

I have kalyway 10.5.2 running and have OSx86 tools running so I can install kexts.

I would really like to run the retail on my machine, but for some reason I can't get the bootloader and the retail to go for some reason. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Craig4,

The audio is provided by the exact same Realtek 889A chip the Gigabyte board is using, so that Kalyway distro should have an option supporting it. Try it out. I think it's just a "889" under Audio. If that's not working, download my Boot-132 kexts and install both the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext

The LAN is by the Intel 82567LM chip. I think Apple has build-in support for the older Intel 82557. I'll look around, but we might be able to get it to work by just updating the device IDs in the IONetworkingFamily.kext.

EDIT: Try the Intel 82566MM driver in this thread.

regards,

MAJ

Craig4,

The audio is provided by the exact same Realtek 889A chip the Gigabyte board is using, so that Kalyway distro should have an option supporting it. Try it out. I think it's just a "889" under Audio. If that's not working, download my Boot-132 kexts and install both the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext

The LAN is by the Intel 82567LM chip. I think Apple has build-in support for the older Intel 82557. I'll look around, but we might be able to get it to work by just updating the device IDs in the IONetworkingFamily.kext.

EDIT: Try the Intel 82566MM driver in this thread.

regards,

MAJ

I will try this out right now, thanks in advance. I will update with an edit once I try everything out.

edit: I tried the 889 for the audio, but that didn't seem to work. Another question is it ok to us the OSx86 tools to install kexts? I am working on the AppleHDA and the HDAEnabler.kexts and it seems to install them alright. It did the AppleHDA about to do the HDAEnabler.

edit2: all three of those options didn't seem to work for the audio. As I said I used OSx86 tools to install the kexts, don't know if that matters. I clicked that link for the lan drivers and downloaded the files, but I get an error when trying to unpack them. (the error says, unable to unarchive "intel82566MM.tar" into "Cruzer 4gb". (Error 2 - No such file or directory.))

-update on intel82566mm.tar went to a different link and was able to get the file and unzip it. going to try it now.

Put my i7 system together, hit the power button and boom: NO POST :D lol

To make a long story short, RMA MSI x58 platinum, looking at another week to have my mobo in. Going for the Gigabyte, learned my lesson lol

After installing the intel82566MM.tar I am able to open safari and go to network diagnostic and the bubble to select Ethernet is finally there and not darked out. Still no sign of an actual ethernet card though it seems. Any suggestions past this point?

edit: WOOOOOO thanks a lot for the help, the ethernet is now working.

if anyone else has the new intel x58so use the same help and you should be able to get everything running.

I had to go into settings then network after the kext install and setup the ip and everything was a go after that.

I can't thank you enough, now I just need to get my audio work and a new video card.

After installing the intel82566MM.tar I am able to open safari and go to network diagnostic and the bubble to select Ethernet is finally there and not darked out. Still no sign of an actual ethernet card though it seems. Any suggestions past this point?

edit: WOOOOOO thanks a lot for the help, the ethernet is now working.

if anyone else has the new intel x58so use the same help and you should be able to get everything running.

I had to go into settings then network after the kext install and setup the ip and everything was a go after that.

I can't thank you enough, now I just need to get my audio work and a new video card.

Alright!

For audio, those two kexts are supposed to be installed together - one enables the other. Don't know if you were doing that, but it appeared you only tried one and were going to try the other. Don't know anything about what BIOS that Intel board uses, but is there anything regarding enabling on-board audio?

Oh, and, yes, using OSx86 Tools to install kexts is just what it's for. You're doing great! :)

Put my i7 system together, hit the power button and boom: NO POST :) lol

To make a long story short, RMA MSI x58 platinum, looking at another week to have my mobo in. Going for the Gigabyte, learned my lesson lol

BUMMER!!!!

After all that waiting and this is what happens to you?! That was always my biggest fear - not posting. Do you know your PSU is working okay?

regards,

MAJ

Alright!

For audio, those two kexts are supposed to be installed together - one enables the other. Don't know if you were doing that, but it appeared you only tried one and were going to try the other. Don't know anything about what BIOS that Intel board uses, but is there anything regarding enabling on-board audio?

Oh, and, yes, using OSx86 Tools to install kexts is just what it's for. You're doing great! :)

I tried using OSx86 tools again and select both of them together but still no luck. Hopefully some more people start to get this board or there is a compatible driver from another board.

Another question I have is will I be able to run a 9800gt? I have heard a lot of people talk about it and a few people try to explain how to get it work, but I don't know if anyone with kalyway has it running.

@digital_dreamer

LOL i know right, i was thoroughly pissed to say the least lmao. I'm talkin up til 4am testing everything. Yea, psu's fine, i have an antec realpower 650 i use for my system and an visiontek gpu juicebox 450 i use for my video card. All of which have less than 2 months use on them

I tried using OSx86 tools again and select both of them together but still no luck. Hopefully some more people start to get this board or there is a compatible driver from another board.

Another question I have is will I be able to run a 9800gt? I have heard a lot of people talk about it and a few people try to explain how to get it work, but I don't know if anyone with kalyway has it running.

Yesterday, I got a mail that requests to describe how to get a 9800 GT working. I wrote a reply to that, but I'm so stupid enough to write it on browser not on some text editor, so I lost everything after kp before sending ;(

Then I noticed, my system freezes when I open geekbench.dmg. LOL

Anyway, now I re-wrote what-I-did for 9800 GT. I hope it works some other system like mine. Here it is:

First of all, I use wolfienuke's EFI Boot Installer v3, not digital_dreamer's kexts pack now. To make sure there're no special kexts in /S/L/E, I did clean re-installation by the retail 10.5 DVD with EFI Installer v3.

Second, I always choose "1) Install" instead of "2) Update" from the menu of EFI Installer. This is because my system goes to black screen right after boot screen seems to be shown. It happens only rarely not always, but I just don't want to take time to distinguish what was wrong, for instance, newly added/removed kexts or EFI partition updating failure. (It happens especially when I removed some kexts from Extensions folder.)

Third, I could easily run CI/QE enabled 9800 GT on Kalyway 10.5.2 with NVinject.kext. (just copy digital_dreamer's version of NVinject.kext into /S/L/E.) However, I couldn't figure out how to get worked on either digital_dreamer's and wolfienuke's pack with injectors such as NVinject, NVkush, etc.

OK. My set up as follows:

0. Install OS X 10.5.6 Combo update with EFI Boot Installer v3.

1. Remove all the injectors from Extensions folder in EFI partition and /S/L/E. Make sure no Natit, NVinject, NVkush, etc. Then, reboot your system.

2. Download "NVIDIA 9000 Series Driver v2" and install it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132089

3. Download following gfxutil kit and generate EFIString.

http://rapidshare.com/files/177286499/gfxu..._MB_9800_GT.zip

Procedure is described in the following thread:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=509&page=1

$ ./gfxutil -f display

Replace the PciRoot(...) string at the top of in.plist with the generated one.

$ ./gfxutil -i xml -o hex in.plist out.hex

Copy generated hex string into efistring.txt, which can be found in EFI Boot Installer folder.

Note that no CR/LF and/or white-spaces in the file.

4. Update EFI partition. (As I noted above, I choose "1) Install" always.)

New com.apple.boot.plist? yes

Boot option? busratio=20 -v whatever-you-would-like

Timeout? 5 or whatever

EFIString? just press enter, so that it automatically copied from efistring.txt. Do not enter any hex string here.

5. Reboot. Voila!